Bill Nye Debates Creationist Ken Ham Live 2/4/2014

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Bill Nye debates Creationist Ken Ham live 2/4/2014
Bill Nye debates Creationist Ken Ham live 2/4/2014
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-18 15:25:35
Link | Quote | Reply

He's padding that postcount.

Worry not fone, you'll never catch mine. Not while I draw breath coffee.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-04-18 15:29:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Shiva.Tedril said: »
Bismarck.Ihina said: »
So basically, you require proof that light and black holes exist, systematically reject all proof due to your claims that they're influenced by perception, then claim that simple 'believing' in god is enough for you to accept his existence to be true, and that your information comes from a book put together hundreds of years after jesus's death by a bunch of opportunistic politicians based on a stories written decades after jesus's death. Call me crazy, but it seems that the level of evidence you require is a little inconsistent.
I take that back I didn't enjoy talking to you because you didn't even read it...Go back read my posts again. I never disagreed with black holes, I was pointing out that people are saying they are real by what they do and defining them based on that, my response was thats awesome I do the same thing with finding god. I was making a comparison of science and religion...
Not even remotely the same thing. You're equating the empirical to the spiritual in order to elevate your arbitrary belief system to the level of scientific knowledge. There's no use for a God variable in science. It's not E=mc^2+GOD or F=ma+GOD. It's extraneous and useless in describing the way we know the universe to work. The only people trying to cram God into science are the people trying to validate their own beliefs because they're watching those beliefs gradually become less and less relevant as our knowledge base grows more and more.
It doesn't matter how much science THINKS it knows about existence (scientific theories aren't really completely infallible anyways). All the empirical data humans could ever know is not capable of proving "god" doesn't exist. Much like people who believe in god can never really prove he does by pointing to their faith. You might have a different view of it, but you're still inside the maze.

But the thing is, as much as it's a "belief" in science, it's a belief in what we as humans can perceive as "facts". There are simply some constants that are just that. Constants. Observable constants.

I'm not looking to disprove any deity. I am, in fact, wanting proof of one. But it cannot be provided. Spin that however you like, but even if you say science's discoveries are not "fact", they're still concrete. You can see the results of science.

Still waiting on the verification on the god thing.
You likely won't ever get it, yet see no oddity in looking to something else that won't give you the answer either.
By fonewear 2014-04-18 15:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-04-18 15:38:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Tedril said: »
Bismarck.Ihina said: »
So basically, you require proof that light and black holes exist, systematically reject all proof due to your claims that they're influenced by perception, then claim that simple 'believing' in god is enough for you to accept his existence to be true, and that your information comes from a book put together hundreds of years after jesus's death by a bunch of opportunistic politicians based on a stories written decades after jesus's death.

Call me crazy, but it seems that the level of evidence you require is a little inconsistent.
I take that back I didn't enjoy talking to you because you didn't even read it...Go back read my posts again. I never disagreed with black holes, I was pointing out that people are saying they are real by what they do and defining them based on that, my response was thats awesome I do the same thing with finding god. I was making a comparison of science and religion...
Not even remotely the same thing. You're equating the empirical to the spiritual in order to elevate your arbitrary belief system to the level of scientific knowledge.

There's no use for a God variable in science. It's not E=mc^2+GOD or F=ma+GOD. It's extraneous and useless in describing the way we know the universe to work. The only people trying to cram God into science are the people trying to validate their own beliefs because they're watching those beliefs gradually become less and less relevant as our knowledge base grows more and more.

It doesn't matter how much science THINKS it knows about existence (scientific theories aren't really completely infallible anyways). All the empirical data humans could ever know is not capable of proving "god" doesn't exist.

Much like people who believe in god can never really prove he does by pointing to their faith.

You might have a different view of it, but you're still inside the maze.
I'd love to live in this world where we you guys seem to think we don't actually know anything. I imagine it'd be pretty boring and would involve lots of tree-climbing and poo-flinging.

And to answer that question earlier, I don't give two *** about what anyone believes. It is, however, a problem when beliefs try to get shoehorned into science and passed off as legitimate theories.
You know the day I stepped off the graduation stage at college I shared with my friends the realization that while I had spend over a 1/4 of my life at this point studying and learning things, that I really didn't know much when I compared what I know to what there is to know.

Only idiots think they know everything. Smart people realize how little they really know.
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-04-18 15:38:43
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

That's pretty nostalgic.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-04-18 15:40:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Seriously I want there to be a billboard of this XKCD somewhere. "Duty Calls" is my favorite one.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-18 15:40:36
Link | Quote | Reply

You know the day I stepped off the graduation stage at college I shared with my friends the realization that while I had spend over a 1/4 of my life at this point studying and learning things, that I really didn't know much when I compared what I know to what there is to know.

Only idiots think they know everything. Smart people realize how little they really know.
How insightful. The computer you typed that delicious kernel of wisdom on was created based on theories and principles we know to be true.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-18 15:42:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

I'm glad we're in agreement.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-04-18 15:43:34
Link | Quote | Reply

It does seem like people on one side of the spectrum get wow'ed as adults things that the rest of us realized as a kid.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-04-18 15:44:12
Link | Quote | Reply

How insightful. The computer you typed that delicious kernel of wisdom on was created based on theories and principles we know to be true.

It's remarkable how often people seem to forget that those scientific heretics are responsible for so much of the modern world. I still expect to hear a creationist claim that Jesus gave us the microprocessor.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-04-18 15:46:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
I was obsessed with Fallout New Vegas but that only lasted like a week.

Now Fallout 4 I'll be hooked again though.
I'd really prefer if they canned the FPS aspect, and went back to the 2d issometric view.

Go play Wasteland 2 then. It's really good, pretty much the Fallout 3 haters all wanted.

If you ask me, which you didn't but I'll blather on anyway, Fallout 3 was the first "True" Fallout game. Not to detract from Fallout 1 and 2, but by Black Isle's own admission, Fallout was just "Wasteland" with a different name, because of legal reasons. So in Reality, Fallout 1 and 2 were Wasteland 2 and 3.

Odin.Jassik said: »

It's remarkable how often people seem to forget that those scientific heretics are responsible for so much of the modern world. I still expect to hear a creationist claim that Jesus gave us the microprocessor.

Shortsightedness has always been the hallmark of the religious.

"Prepare not for the morrow."

And don't even get me started on the 40% of surveyed Americans who think Jesus will return in their lifetime, or what that implies when you consider that the second coming (can't have a second without a first, but whatever) signals the beginning of the end of the world.
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2014-04-18 16:12:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh wow, someone actually busted out the "You can't prove god doesn't exist!"

No, no one can prove a negative. That said, we can poke holes in your nice little tapestry until it's just a tatter.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-18 16:13:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried to find x today:

Lakshmi.Leosin
user: Leosin
By Lakshmi.Leosin 2014-04-18 18:26:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
I like how people keep throwing God around like even if we find a God at the center of the universe it'll be YOUR God - the narrowly defined Judeo-Christian God of the Bible. So in addition to saying you know God exists you also attach the second assertion that it is this one specific God and that all other gods are false. And atheists are arrogant? lolok.

There are three steps here:
-God exists.
-God exists and it's my God.
-All other Gods are false.

Any sufficiently advanced alien lifeforms in the universe could easily be gods from our perspective just like the people of the Americas thought some white guys in iron helmets packing flintlocks were gods... until they proceeded to bring ruination upon their civilization.

The theist continuously pushes the idea of God yet has locked themselves into the idea that the creator must be yours. Newsflash, it doesn't. Your guess is as good as Odin, Mithras, Quetzalcotl, Izanami, Shiva, Osiris etc etc. Perhaps God is something that we haven't even found yet but you can't make that choice because you've locked in your answer with faith.

The only reason you choose to believe what you do is because of your family, time period of birth, anglo domination and events that have occurred over centuries before you took your first dump in a diaper. You have faith that Jesus is behind this and little else if you're honest.

Honestly, I see Jesus as a lesson about oppressive regimes and what happens when you speak out against what the masses choose to believe. He doesn't need to be God incarnate, have performed any miracles or made promises to return in order to pull a moral from the story.

I really do love you Sparth.

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Honestly, I see Jesus as a lesson about oppressive regimes and what happens when you speak out against what the masses choose to believe. He doesn't need to be God incarnate, have performed any miracles or made promises to return in order to pull a moral from the story.

This is one thing I will stress repeatedly.

Jesus may have not had a single bit of divine nature about him. But his lessons -- or, at least, those attributed to him -- are still very valid. Not being shitty to one another is an astoundingly good idea.

Still waiting on some of the so-called "Christians" to come through on them, though.

Please note I said "some". I know several very good Christians who are very good people and who also don't try to convert every single person on the planet or push it on others. They're just good people. And that's really what matters within our current existance anyhow.

^ This completely.
No need to be an unprovoked dickbag to everyone all the time, no excuse justifies that behavior.
Not pointing out anyone in particular either.
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20