Bill Nye Debates Creationist Ken Ham Live 2/4/2014

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Bill Nye debates Creationist Ken Ham live 2/4/2014
Bill Nye debates Creationist Ken Ham live 2/4/2014
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19 20
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-02-05 11:14:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zellc said: »
I watched the last 35-45 minutes of the debate. Ken didnt really talk about school education till his final 5 min segment, but it was obvious that Bill was trying to drive home a point about making big bang the history lesson that needs to be taught in his state and arguably everywhere. I may have missed something but this may have been the agenda of the debate to sway voters. Like ive said, I only saw the second half so im not 100% sure if that was mentioned or not.

Anyway, Id propose this: why not have both theories taught. Have two separate history classes. The choice could be up to the student on what path to walk and the losing side wouldnt be forced to sit through something they dont believe. Segregation based on personal beliefs.

It wouldnt come without drawbacks like maybe costing more to employ separate teachers to pass on the knowledge. As of right now, thats all I can think of. Maybe someone else could put some input on possible input on what I proposed. Or even on the idea itself.

When does segregation ever sound good?

Save the religion for Sunday school.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-02-05 11:15:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
.... it seemed to me that this was setup to make religion look bad....
Ken Ham makes religion look bad without any help at all.
of all the posts between mine and yours, and you have to take a little snip-it of mine to counterargue (rather weakly), one has to wonder if you don't get a *** from my posts.

Or if you just like me for some reason and pick me out of a crowd of people to show it.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-02-05 11:22:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Josiahfk said: »
This part is very interesting.

Quote:
Nye appeals to radiometric dating, specifically rubidium/strontium, as evidence supporting billions of years. However, different dating methods give different dates for the same rocks, and some dating methods cap the age of the earth at thousands of years, so scientists must pick whichever dating method agrees with their presupposition.

I was under the impression scientists used only The most accurate test, to find the age of something. But if there are multiple equally accurate tests, and one shows the earth only as old as the bible claims, that's pretty substantial evidence.

However if the test showing bible aged earth is super outdated and proven flawed, this response means they're stretching desperately. hmmm

Different isotopes decay at different rates, something with a half life of thousands of years is worthless when dating things that are millions or billions. Accuracy depends primarily on what isotopes are present (what you are dating) and the half life of the isotope you are using (dating range). People who claim that radiometric dating gives different results and is inconsistent have a very flawed understanding of both radioactive decay and scientific methods.

Edit: just to add, as well, the assumption that radiometric dating is flawed because we don't know the amount of isotopes present at the time that thing was created is also highly flawed. Most things that can be accurately dated are also created today and can be measured (and are). Also the idea that there could have been ionizing radiation at higher levels in the past is also flawed as the creation of those isotopes is not dependent in any way on other forms of radiation.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Larodar
Server: Carbuncle
user: Larodar
By Carbuncle.Larodar 2014-02-05 11:27:35
Link | Quote | Reply

When I heard this was gonna happen, I cringed just a bit. As a Christian, I'd like it to be known Ken Ham doesn't speak for all of us. I'm an old Earth Creationist. I believe the planet really is 4.5 billion years old and the universe really is 13 or so billion years old and that in no way contradicts the Bible. Ham is defending his interpretation of the Bible as much or more than the Bible itself.

While I have difficulty believing evolution could produce the array of life we have now in the amount of time that's been allotted, it wouldn't hurt my feelings much if it were true. It's still not an origin of existence, but rather a process within creation.

The funny thing is, folks like Ham that believe the Earth is 6k years old and that all life we have today came from the animals on Noah's Ark either then believe in very rapid evolution, or that the Bible isn't giving the whole picture on Noah's Ark. It would clearly need extra-dimensional space to accommodate 2 of everything including the jungle species. The dimension given in the bible would be insufficient. I believe in a localized flood, because the entirety of mankind was hanging out in the fertile crescent region then. So the world would be the world of man, and not necessarily every ecosystem on Earth at the time.

I don't believe the flood created the entire fossil record, or that fossils are attributable to evil. What is wrong with God patiently watching and waiting for the just right time to insert humanity in the ongoing creation process? It's attributing a spirit of deception onto God to suggest fossils are tricksy. (:

One of my personal favorites, Dr. Hugh Ross an astrophysicist who became a Christian, has debated Ken Ham before also. Check him out if this topic interests you. http://www.reasons.org/

I've been to the "Creation Museum" in KY and it made my blood pressure go up. Dioramas of men and dinosaurs side by side, an outright denial that speed of light can help determine the age of the universe, and a tendency to throw under the bus all the early scientists many of whom were Christian.

The whole notion of 6k years since creation was a botched project by one Bishop. We have evidence in the Bible itself of instances where an individual was called father of/son of but the actual relationship was grandfather or great grandfather. The genealogy recounts the more famous individuals, not EVERY one. This was also back when lay persons often couldn't read the Bible for themselves in their native tongue because clergy didn't want to cede any power. This is how we got crusades. An illiterate populace being told the Bible wants them to do something they couldn't check for themselves. A big part of the Reformation was allowing the average Joe to have a translated Bible and several were executed for producing them. anyhow, keep digging if it interests you.

oh yes, plate tectonics is cool. yay for vulcanism.
[+]
By Moonwalkerv 2014-02-05 11:37:15
Link | Quote | Reply

These sort of threads always bother me, not the fighting but that there is actually people who think that if you spend 70 or so years, praying to the right dude, trying not to be an arsehole and following 10 mostly out dated rules...

You get

Not 1

Not 10

Not 100

But an eternity of joy and happiness in a perfect world...

Seriously, come on! There is so much actual infomation out there but people still cling to such sillyness.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2014-02-05 11:37:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Hamman is totes wrong. He might be a "new earth creationist", but in reality the "surprisingly new earth creationist" theories are the correct ones:

Surprisingly New Earth Creationist theory said:
God created the universe and everyone in it on a lazy Tuesday in 1981. He gave us old books and stuff so that we'd have a sense of history, because it's important to feel like you know where you came from. He even put a bunch of fossils in the ground and designed the biosphere so that we could feel even further connected with our fake pasts.

Enjoy your 33 year old earth, humans.
[+]
By volkom 2014-02-05 11:39:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I like the ancient astronaut theory
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: misacat
By Nadleeh Sakurai 2014-02-05 11:40:57
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-02-05 11:43:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
It's attributing a spirit of deception onto God to suggest fossils are tricksy.

In fairness, he did play a practical joke involving convincing a man to kill his son.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kincard
Server: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2014-02-05 11:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll never understand how people are able to spend hours debating this stuff when these discussions always end up at the exact same point, where creationists will use exhaustive arguments that can be applied to the universe itself just as much.

EX Where did the universe come from?
Where did god come from?
God always existed, he is eternal.
Why can't the universe "always have existed"?

Then instead of answering that question it usually becomes nitpicks at science (such as complaining about dating methods being flawed), which is missing the point of science entirely. Of course science isn't perfect; the difference is that its entire premise is to continuously reshape your theories around new information. The only comparable thing in religion is with new/younger members applying whatever interpretation they want to a book that's thousands of years old. Religion is whatever the individual wants it to be.

Like someone else said, the two wouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence if you didn't constantly have religious people (almost always individuals who probably never read a scientific page in their life, because they don't even know the distinction between cosmology, abiogenesis and evolution) acting like science is corrupting their child or whatever the ***. It fits about as well as debating culture VS science.

Quote:
Anyway, Id propose this: why not have both theories taught. Have two separate history classes. The choice could be up to the student on what path to walk and the losing side wouldnt be forced to sit through something they dont believe. Segregation based on personal beliefs.

The only place religion has in a classroom is in a theology class.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-02-05 12:19:28
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
So...growing up in Texas, my science classes were 2 sided.
The teachers would teach evolution etc but when something about creation came up it was more of an in class student debate with the teacher refing it.

I like both view points on the subject however I think whatever the bible says with creationism is an inaccurate depiction of events that happened. ie a tall tale story book based on some fact

Hmmm...You should probably add that this is after Perry started lining the SBoE with his cronies.

Whether teaching evolution, half-lifes, carbon dating, etc. our teacher (who was Baptist) would remind us that if we took exception to this we could sit in the hallway but it would be reflected on the classroom participation percentage of our grade for the day. There was no room and/or time for a debate.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-02-05 13:07:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Mefuki said: »
I have something that addresses some of the points raised by Bill Nye. I'm just going to leave this here and go:

http://creation.com/ham-nye-debate

Yeah... That link isn't going to be biased at all.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2014-02-05 13:19:09
Link | Quote | Reply

And as expected, it's written by someone who doesn't even have a high school level understanding of Biology.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Sylph.Peldin
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Peldin 2014-02-05 13:32:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Like someone else said, the two wouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence if you didn't constantly have religious people (almost always individuals who probably never read a scientific page in their life, because they don't even know the distinction between cosmology, abiogenesis and evolution) acting like science is corrupting their child or whatever the ***. It fits about as well as debating culture VS science.
The hypocracy among some people is astounding.

Look, if you're going to bash on an idea that's opposed to your own, at least... the VERY least... do a fair amount of research on the opposing view. There are literally tens of thousdands of doctors, lawyers, professors, SCIENTISTS etc (people YOU would claim are intelligent people) who subscribe to the creation point of view in one form or another and believe it to be true. There is plenty of evidence that supports creation. I still subscribe to evolution but at least I did enough research on creation to know it's not just a bunch of religious nuts trying to oppress us with Jesus. There are the religious nuts that do that, but it's not a representation of that religion at all.

You read the bible or watch a couple debates or do a few google searches and you consider yourself an expert on creation theory? Seriously, get your head out of the sand. You say religious people have just been brought up that way and are brainwashed to ignore the evidence in front of them? Look in the mirror. You accept your theories just as readily/blindly as most religious people do. That's the basis for your presuppositions, and you follow that by learning just enough on what you need to learn about the other side of the argument in order to make fun of it.

Quit being hypocrites. If you really want to support your presuppositions, take the time to seriously learn the other side of the argument. You think Bill Nye would debate a creationist before first learning about the evidence that supports creation? Knowing your opponent's arguments beforehand is how you know how to adequately build evidence against it and show where the flaws are in his/her theory. To just sit there and say "save the religion for Sunday school" when concerning a debate between creation and evolution theories... that's just hypocrisy at it's finest. That's like saying "take your head out of the sand and learn what I believe while I keep my head in the sand about what you believe."

Moonwalkerv said: »
These sort of threads always bother me, not the fighting but that there is actually people who think that if you spend 70 or so years, praying to the right dude, trying not to be an arsehole and following 10 mostly out dated rules...

You get

Not 1

Not 10

Not 100

But an eternity of joy and happiness in a perfect world...

Seriously, come on! There is so much actual infomation out there but people still cling to such sillyness.
You seriously should read your post. It's so full of ignorance that it's embarrassing, not only to yourself, but to the ideas you represent.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-02-05 13:35:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Peldin said: »
There is plenty of evidence that supports creation.

I'll bite. What evidence supports creation?
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-02-05 13:38:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Sylph.Peldin said: »

I'll bite. What evidence supports creation?

A book written by random people claiming to be people they weren't that was written hundreds or thousands of years after it was claimed to be and rewritten at least 2 times as well as being translated in 2 or more degrees of separation from it's original form.

TL:DR - The Bible.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2014-02-05 13:40:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I never said that there aren't any educated religious scientists. I was saying that the loudmouthed religious individuals that participate in these debates are pretty much always uneducated idiots that are debating about stuff they'd know about if they didn't drop out of high school.

The educated religious people know that there's a very obvious distinction between religion and science which is why you almost never see such people participate in these inane debates. The atheists that participate in these debates are often no better because they're just picking easy targets to make look like idiots.

Quote:
There is plenty of evidence that supports creation

No there isn't. That's the whole damn point of religion. It's based in faith. Any arguments for creation in general are almost always exhaustive, as in the opposite would just as likely be true if you applied logic to it.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-02-05 13:47:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
There are literally tens of thousdands of doctors, lawyers, professors, SCIENTISTS etc (people YOU would claim are intelligent people) who subscribe to the creation point of view in one form or another and believe it to be true.

Sup, appeal to authority. All of these people are intelligent in their respective fields with respects to our arbitrary metrics of grading aptitude but it doesn't mean they know jack ***about evolutionary biology, paleontology, anthropology, history, archaeology, physics, astrophysics or anything pertaining to the creation question.

Like good humans, they've outsourced their beliefs to religion. Intelligent people are free to have as many silly beliefs as the next scrub.

Quote:

Which creation myth? There are thousands. The arrogance the creationist supposes when they have finished their argument is that their myth supersedes all other origin stories. The fallback is faith, which is unquantifiable.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2014-02-05 13:52:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the most amusing part of his post is where he implies people haven't read enough about the topic and don't understand the opposition when he didn't even carefully read my quarter-page post, and the fact that even a single google search is still more research than what most of these clowns have done in their entire life.

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-02-05 13:58:21
Link | Quote | Reply

The first mistake is reading the Bible with no historical context regarding the text and the peoples mentioned in the text.

Biblical literalism is folly.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-02-05 14:01:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Which creation myth? There are thousands. The arrogance the creationist supposes when they have finished their argument is that their myth supersedes all other origin stories. The fallback is faith, which is unquantifiable.

Seriously.

The Judeo-Christian creation story is one of the youngest, besides the parts that were hijacked from other faiths.

If we are going to teach creationism in schools lets teach all the creation stories we know about today. If nothing else it would provide students with the opportunity to learn comparative analysis.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-02-05 14:01:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm clicking through that creation.com site and it's quite maddening that all of the citations sprinkled through their "research" links back to, you guessed it, the creation.com site itself. That's quite the exhaustive information echo chamber they've made.

Much of their evidence consists of pointing out knowledge gaps and filling them in with the not so subtle notion that because we don't know exactly how such-and-such works then it must be of divine origin. Some topics I flipped through were based entirely on incomplete or cherry-picked information. All in all, nothing surprising really.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-02-05 14:06:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know if it's a difference in our scholar systems or I was just lucky, but no one of my science teachers ever even dared to mention creationism(my hs teacher would have probably shot you in the head if you did, and I'd have cheered her on). The only place that thing has is in religion class(yes, we have that...and it's bs cause they don't teach you about all religions, but it's just a priest preeching about christianity- I always skipped that class for this reason).

/digressions
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2014-02-05 14:16:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The willingness to entertain this spectacle as a "debate" really is telling. What a laughable notion.

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Snoochybooch
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Snoochybooch 2014-02-05 14:20:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Lottto said: »
They won't be 2 different topics as long as religion tries to interfere in modern science.
When you know that some schools still refuse to teach Darwin's theory of evolution because of some HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE 2000 years old beliefs you can't say that religion and science aren't part of a same coin. Even if they should be.

Religion shouldn't interfere in any way and people shouldn't believe in theories from books (Quran, Bible or any other book) written thousand years ago with absolutely no evidences to back them up.

I don't feel creationism should be taught in school. But if giving students the option to choose between the two when selecting courses would appease both sides, why not?
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-02-05 14:23:15
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19 20