Shijin Spiral Build questions
 Bahamut.Fulgrim
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: arouis
By Bahamut.Fulgrim 2013-04-22 02:06:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Zumi said: »
Is it worth using Shijin Spiral at all with a level 90 Verethragna. I thought about switching my merits around and I could get this WS I have 1 WS currently going to waste somewhat.

If the following situation were to occur, in an outside event, not in abyssea, aftermath already up, Impetus is down, would it be worthwhile to use SS or am I still better off sticking with VS?
Siren.Thoraeon said: »
Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2013-04-22 02:22:48
Link | Quote | Reply

If it's reasonable to create a skillchain with Shijin (and reasonable to create a skillchain in general), where it would not be feasible with Smite (eg: Shoha, Resolution, Exenterator), then Shijin is worth using. Opening for Shoha or Resolution, in particular, will do more skillchain damage than you'd gain from ODD. Less so with Exenterator (where you're more likely to be closing, anyway), though SA/TA+Exen can put up quite respectable damage.

A few other minor uses exist (eg: encumbrance preventing you from using a weapon, and thus no Smite available), but if the above skillchain situation isn't likely to happen (ie: do you have linkshell friends that primarily use jobs where the above weaponskills come into play, and do you use mnk when you're with them doing smaller event stuff?), I wouldn't recommend bothering with Shijin if you already have Verethragna.
By wick 2013-05-07 01:42:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, How would Kheper Jacket do with +4% ws dmg for shijin?

Somthing like this

ItemSet 299972

tp bonus earring
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
By Fenrir.Motenten 2013-05-07 09:13:10
Link | Quote | Reply

About tied with Ocelomeh +1, and Manibozho without augments. Toci's still seems the best; Tessera second if you don't need the accuracy, but will fall behind if you do.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2013-05-07 10:20:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, even NQ Ocelomeh is 2m+, not really worth it for something that may not sell back due to new content and there already being better ***.

That being said, does Osode hold over until I can get a Toci's? (*** that NM lol I have no luck with VW). Figured I could throw some suzaku scraps at it as well to see what I get
By Angeljcar 2013-05-07 10:55:26
Link | Quote | Reply

wick said: »

Somthing like this

ItemSet 299972

tp bonus earring
TP bonus earring on shijin is worthless.
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
By Fenrir.Motenten 2013-05-07 11:01:49
Link | Quote | Reply

An Osode with 2% DA and 7 att would be pretty close to the Mani/Kheper/Oce+1 group. Also, Thurandaut is only a bit below those (and above Tantra+2) as long as you don't need the accuracy.

Also, if you're a bit low on accuracy (say, 85% or so), the order changes to:

Toci: 2704
Mani: 2684
Kheper Aug: 2674
Tantra +2: 2623
Thaumas: 2602
Tessera: 2586
Oce +1: 2544
Osode Aug: 2520
Oce: 2504
Thurandaut: 2436

So Kheper holds up pretty well; Osode, not so much. But you can always fall back on Tantra body (Impetus up) or Thaumas (Impetus down). Ocelomeh/+1 bodies are fairly weak as well.

Overall, Toci, Mani and Kheper are all solid regardless of accuracy needs. I wouldn't bother augmenting Osode as a temporary stage. If you need the accuracy, Tantra/Thaumas; if not, Thurandaut.
By wick 2013-05-08 00:27:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Angeljcar said: »

Somthing like this

ItemSet 299972

tp bonus earring

Ah yeh thnx!
so this?
ItemSet 299972

any further improvements?
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2013-05-08 11:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking the mnk spreadsheet now and is it just me or is SSpiral an underwhelming WS?

Using my current smite build vs the mnk guide gear for spiral (sans whirlpool since nobody has that yet), and using pil and chapuli as models, Rigor baghs sspiral seems to only be a little bit ahead of my 90 vereth smite; and if I tweak my current build to a more optimal one, they seem to be nearly equal.

Though, I know the DoT of the baghs is where it's at, but just saying
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
By Fenrir.Motenten 2013-05-08 15:01:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I have them as roughly equal when Impetus is up, but Smite falling way behind when Impetus is down. Shijin just has a nice, solid consistency.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2013-05-08 15:13:56
Link | Quote | Reply

oh, i thought the impetus button accounted for the 2 mins it was down as well; or am I wrong?
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
By Fenrir.Motenten 2013-05-08 15:29:15
Link | Quote | Reply

No buff toggles account for downtime, since there's often gear changes between when a buff is up vs down (eg: Tantra body), and you may want to see the exact effect any given buff has on the final result.

The DPS is calculated only for the state that you set. For an overall average, you'd do something like set up set 1 with the buff on, and set 2 with the buff off, and use the combined DPS average. Or just turn it on and off and manually average.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2013-05-08 16:06:57
Link | Quote | Reply

ah kk
 Cerberus.Demonsgate
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Demonsgate 2013-05-09 13:22:24
Link | Quote | Reply

where does usukane +1 body fit into this I don't see it listed at all
 Bahamut.Shirai
user: Shirai
By Bahamut.Shirai 2013-05-13 07:31:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Because it doesn't.
 Bismarck.Chaosprime
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Chaosprime 2013-05-16 05:11:00
Link | Quote | Reply

i been playing with the MNK spreadsheet a few days now. No matter which combination i run, i cant get anything to beat the Tantra Cyclas +2. Absolutely nothing. Why is this?
 Odin.Cyprias
Server: Odin
user: Cyprias
By Odin.Cyprias 2013-05-16 05:17:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Chaosprime said: »
i been playing with the MNK spreadsheet a few days now. No matter which combination i run, i cant get anything to beat the Tantra Cyclas +2. Absolutely nothing. Why is this?
Is Impetus on?
 Carbuncle.Bigpete
Server: Carbuncle
user: peterr
By Carbuncle.Bigpete 2013-05-16 05:24:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Angeljcar said: »

Somthing like this

ItemSet 299972

tp bonus earring

Ah yeh thnx!
so this?
ItemSet 299972

any further improvements?

I'd use Oce. headpiece+1, same amount of DEX but you gain 3 triple attack (set bonus with toci's)
 Bahamut.Shirai
By Bahamut.Shirai 2013-05-16 06:13:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Bigpete said: »
I'd use Oce. headpiece+1, same amount of DEX but you gain 3 triple attack (set bonus with toci's)

Not sure about that, I think on higher level content you'll benefit more from the +13 STR and +10 accuracy than the occasional chance to tripple attack.
Even if the difference is marginal.

Same goes for the neckpiece, Justiciar's will win out over Asperity on higher level content.
 Bismarck.Chaosprime
By Bismarck.Chaosprime 2013-05-16 06:17:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Cyprias said: »
Bismarck.Chaosprime said: »
Is Impetus on?

I do feel silly now ; ; Yes i just noticed impetus was indeed up :s

Thanks for pointing this out. Impetus up Tantra +2; down Thaumas.

Well does Tantra Cyclas need to be equipped fulltime for the benefit, or simply re-equip before cast then switch back to thaumas?

Thanks for pointing it out though
 Bahamut.Shirai
By Bahamut.Shirai 2013-05-16 06:26:30
Link | Quote | Reply

During Impetus you'll want to keep Tantra +2 equiped.
Although forgive me for asking, why are you asking this in the Shijin Spiral thread?
 Bismarck.Chaosprime
By Bismarck.Chaosprime 2013-05-16 07:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Shirai said: »
During Impetus you'll want to keep Tantra +2 equiped.
Although forgive me for asking, why are you asking this in the Shijin Spiral thread?

Nope your totally right, i saw montenten post above about his spreadsheet, then just got carried away. Sorry for derailing the topic :(
 Fenrir.Camiie
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2013-05-17 09:20:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm trying to build for VS, but I don't have a Wanion Belt and at this point I'm not sure I ever will. Any other reasonable options?
 Fenrir.Deno
user: deno
By Fenrir.Deno 2013-05-17 09:32:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Caudata belt! If you've done your battalia meebles and have some marks :x
 Fenrir.Camiie
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2013-05-17 10:23:31
Link | Quote | Reply

YO DENO! Luckily I have one of those so I'll just use it. Thanks! My next step is to actually unlock spiral it and pick up some rigors. I sure can't complain that I don't have stuff to do now.
By wick 2013-05-17 10:31:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Update! Augs on body legs maxed of course!
ItemSet 299972
Dex+10 belt also nice.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [54 days between previous and next post]
 Shiva.Francisco
Server: Shiva
user: Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2013-07-10 13:16:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Until I get enough plasm for Manibozho Brais, should I just use Byakko's or something in that spot?

Just got Rigors, so this is mostly a thrown together (bad) set, until I get other pieces...

ItemSet 307518

I have Tantra+2 legs and lolNQ Tenryu, but neither of them really seem to standout either.
By Kyler 2013-07-10 13:50:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Byakko's are fine until you get manibozho legs, I'd work on the body slot first honestly. Manibozho, Athos, Toci's (Not in that order) even omodaka, Usu+1, Kheper, tessara, or an augmented osode would probably do you better overall. I'm guessing you aren't doing delve bosses yet so those the difference in accuracy and attack isn't as pressing depending on buffs.

For feet, Thaumas(or even nyzul +3 feet), athos, Melee gaiters +2 aren't half bad either.