First Page 2 3 ... 59 60 61 62 63
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-17 21:34:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ebry said:
Unfortunately in events like this, you see all the news people jump in and try and tell the "real" story which in turn makes them sound like complete idiots. :/ If you don't know what your talking about, you shouldn't open your mouth about it. People are stupid, and because they are stupid they believe everything they hear, even if its the farthest thing from the truth :|

Edit: This forum is lucky to have as much accurate information as it does. Between Cata, Dasva and Jaerik, we get a better idea of what we're really seeing. ^^ So thanks to you guys.
Which is kinda sad considering all the info is out there. Like I'm kinda rusty myself so have looked stuff up to be sure and sure enough basic google searches will get you solid info.

Sure it takes a bit of searching and reading but alot of this is kinda basic stuff being misrepresented or using vague info to scare people or just assumptions based on no fact that aren't even likely just omg worst case scenario that could happen being presented as currently true.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2011-03-18 00:57:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ebry said:
This forum is lucky to have as much accurate information as it does. Between Cata, Dasva and Jaerik, we get a better idea of what we're really seeing. ^^ So thanks to you guys.

Since St paddy's Day been over with for for 2 hours now, I want to Cheer you 3 guys, b.c Your info has been pretty accurate, but don't let tall the good word and cheer, inflate those egos, guys!!!

I'm J.k with yas!! You're all a bunch of great guys!! Keep up the good work!!
[+]
 Caitsith.Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2011-03-18 01:02:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
I think things are looking way up. Hopefully Japan can focus purely on recovery instead of worrying about the reactors (as much) now.

That will definatley be another worry... Finding the body's and placing them with the correct families, and making those less fortunate phone calls... those are the ones that will hit home hard...
[+]
 Asura.Chuuuuu
Server: Asura
user: chuuuuu
By Asura.Chuuuuu 2011-03-18 01:05:19
Link | Quote | Reply

lol local news talking about radiation plume thats gunna hit LA but says not to panic. gotta love that media lol
 Caitsith.Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2011-03-18 01:19:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Won't even come close, but then again.. What media is talking this? I think is was Nbc, wasn't it??? It's what's on here atm...

(silly Canadian, watching US news.. oh well, it's the channel I'm watching atm.. Ughhh....)
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-03-18 06:22:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Chuuuuu said:
lol local news talking about radiation plume thats gunna hit LA but says not to panic. gotta love that media lol
Yeah, I'm waiting to see more about that on the news today. I want to see how many people are panicking.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-18 07:05:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
Asura.Chuuuuu said:
Yeah, I'm waiting to see more about that on the news today. I want to see how many people are panicking.
Radiation doesn't plume... it radiates :(
 Bismarck.Selka
Server: Bismarck
user: Selka
By Bismarck.Selka 2011-03-18 07:25:04
Link | Quote | Reply

*sigh*

Turned to CNN for a little while last night and caught an ad for Clean Coal.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-03-18 07:25:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Ramuh.Krizz said:
Asura.Chuuuuu said:
Radiation doesn't plume... it radiates :(
lol

Well Fox showed the 'path' of the 'radiation plume', but they had a big message across the bottomish portion of it basically saying everything will be ok.
 Bismarck.Cerelyn
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Cerelyn 2011-03-18 07:26:02
Link | Quote | Reply

SQUARE ENIX GROUP Support for Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Relief Efforts http://release.square-enix.com/na/2011/03/17_01.html

(found this on Guildworks but its pretty nice thing of SE to do.)
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-18 07:27:47
Link | Quote | Reply

CNN really needs to go back to charlie sheen. They were more useful reporting that than attempting to report real news
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
Server: Leviathan
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2011-03-18 07:31:20
Link | Quote | Reply

News tends to have that effect in over-exaggerating things WAAAAAAAAAY too much.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-03-18 07:35:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
CNN really needs to go back to charlie sheen. They were more useful reporting that than attempting to report real news
I can't watch CNN regardless of their content. Their anchors just make me want to break things. I don't know if it's their personality, or lack of it, but I just can't listen to them.
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-03-18 07:37:36
Link | Quote | Reply

"It would have extremely low health risks in the U.S." is what they show on screen when showing the radiation cloud plume thing's path.

Edit: They being Fox as I mentioned in a previous post.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-18 07:40:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Catnipthief said:
News tends to have that effect in over-exaggerating things WAAAAAAAAAY too much.
Forget over exaggerating they've been presenting out right lies and worst case future scenarios as the current truth. If you want to get technical you could argue that this is one of the situations that freedom of speech specifically doesn't allow since it is causing panic and such.
By Serj 2011-03-18 07:40:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
"It would have extremely low health risks in the U.S." is what they show on screen when showing the radiation cloud plume thing's path.

Extremely low being... none? People are scrambling to grab potassium iodide over this, which would cause other issues if taken by some people.
By Serj 2011-03-18 07:43:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Inb4 thyroid malfunctions over overdosing on KI and other side effects, which people will blame on the radiation.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-03-18 07:44:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Serj said:
Inb4 thyroid malfunctions over overdosing on KI and other side effects, which people will blame on the radiation.
Jaerik already linked an article (or quoted) talking about people overdosing on the iodine tablets.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-03-18 07:45:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
Serj said:
Jaerik already linked an article (or quoted) talking about people overdosing on the iodine tablets.
Last I heard it was just the sales of them that were out of control. There's actually people OD'ing on them now?
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-18 07:48:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Serj said:
Ramuh.Krizz said:

Extremely low being... none? People are scrambling to grab potassium iodide over this, which would cause other issues if taken by some people.
I heard the government was stopping pharmacies from supplying it or something...

And it's not just some people. The dosage for this is really high. You are literally taking so much iodide that your thyroid wont be able to absorb anymore. This is why iodized salt isn't enough. You are litterally increasing your daily dosage by 700 times your nutrional needs. And that's assuming you aren't all paniced and try to take more cause more obviously would give you more protection right? Right?

While it wont kill you the side effects especially if you take it for a long time aren't good. Some of them are decently bad and kinda permanent. I'd be more worried about people taking the iodide than this so called plume
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-03-18 07:49:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, so it wasn't an article, but still.
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Several people here in California have reportedly gotten extremely sick due to allergic reactions from overdoses of potassium iodine tablets.

Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-18 07:51:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Last I heard it was just the sales of them that were out of control. There's actually people OD'ing on them now?
Given the way things are going I would be suprised if people weren't. And if you want to be technical the dosage to protect you from radioiodide is an overdose of iodide.
By Serj 2011-03-18 07:55:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
Ok, so it wasn't an article, but still.
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Several people here in California have reportedly gotten extremely sick due to allergic reactions from overdoses of potassium iodine tablets.

=\ well, I'm waiting for it to be all over the US media. Followed by the "The government lied to us about the radiation and everyone is getting sick!" excuse.

And what Das said a few posts up.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-03-18 07:58:58
Link | Quote | Reply

People be crazy!
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-18 08:01:11
Link | Quote | Reply

To give you a reference the recommend amount of iodine in your diet is around 150 micrograms. Thanks to the prevalence of iodized salt average american consumes about 200-300micrograms a day.

The dosages for protection against radioiodide is 130milligrams. Notice how it went from micro to milli... that's right you are taking 866 times the recommended daily amount if you are taking the correct dosage of KI. If you are ODing... who knows how much you can get.

Not to mention drowning your thyroid in so much iodide it can't take anymore just doesn't sound good. Even much smaller doses like what you might get anyways eatting since we iodized our salt could lead to Hyperthyroidism. And in a supreme act of irony guess what one of the treatments is? That's right radioiodide :)

And of course taking this much more has a whole host of health problems.
[+]
By Bolkin 2011-03-18 08:08:32
Link | Quote | Reply

People still watch the news on cable tv?
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2011-03-18 12:00:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm glad they finally got a handle on this and the worst seems behind them now.

The bravery and dedication of the workers at the reactor site is amazing. I had noticed on MSNBC new reports suggesting ineptitude of oversight of this reactor site leading up to this event (which of course vanished off of the main page after the crisis was deemed over and the Libya events were spotlighted instead) but regardless of how accurate that is, the workers who responded and put their health at risk are certainly heroic.

I know cynics would state that anyone who is paid to do a job shouldn't really then be considered "heroic" for doing the job they signed up for, but I think their hard work prevented what could have been a far worse situation that could have impacted many more lives...with perhaps some personal sacrifice of health and wellbeing later in their own lives.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2011-03-18 13:01:41
Link | Quote | Reply

The IAEA and Japanese government have made a final determination that Fukushima is a 5 on the international scale, putting it at the same level as the Three Mile Island scare, and 2 below Chernobyl.

The determination was made after confirming TEPCO and the government's ongoing reports regarding radiation levels and containment measures.

This pretty much puts it at "serious scare and partial meltdown" but not at the level of causing any significant damage to health or the environment.

They expect to have power hooked back up to all of the reactors by Sunday.
First Page 2 3 ... 59 60 61 62 63