Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-18 20:24:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Asura.Catastrophe said:
Maybe they mean the term "Prompt criticality event"
No, they apparently meant some combination of boron... magically disappearing, and water... like, increasing?

Or... a weird situation where the nuclear reactor could "suddenly restart" and go critical again on its own. And then explode?

Also, unicorns.
Well it is technically possible. The reactor wants to startup. It naturally would.

This is why we have control rods. In no normal situation could the reactor be critical with the rods on bottom. Actually even with the most reactive one on top in the absolute worst case possible circumstances the core is made and the fuel is placed in such a way that it couldn't.

The problem comes when the fuel placement and core changes. Ie severe core dmg that ends up melting rods away or melting various peices of fuel that were seperated closer together or away from the rods etc. While more water for moderation would be helpful if melted right wouldn't be necessary. But good luck achieving that much melting with cooling restored and decay heat down to hardly anything now

This is why we have Boron injection. But you inject dissolved boron and it will flow into all those cracks and stick to stuff and add alot more neutron absorption which should keep it from starting back up.

I haven't done much research on the odds of a re-criticality event after boron injection... but that's partly because boron injections are just something that is never done. It's a very overpowering last resort. It works so good it's alot of work to recover so you can restart the reactor on purpose lol. So not sure if it's happened or if much testing has been done on it.

As far as an explosion... well there is enough poisons and such loaded in and made from the running of a reactor in the fuel that nuclear explosion would be impossible. Ever. In fact you a implosion is almost required for that anyways. As far as another steam or hydrogen explosion... doubtful but possible. But last I heard cooling had been restored making it alot less likely

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-18 20:48:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Catastrophe said:
Even then, they're only melting around the already scrammed Hafnium control rods, so I'm not entirely sure how offset melting would cause it, unless it was extremely significant, like the slag is halfway if not most of the way down the core vessel depth already. That might be the drawbacks of Skew divergent core design arrangements, actually.
Oh yeah it would be very very severe lol. Like... chernobyl :)
 Phoenix.Oumura
Server: Phoenix
user: Oumura
By Phoenix.Oumura 2011-03-18 20:49:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Shabba: DERP

Jaerik: I am disappoint. You forgot the double rainbows. :(
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-18 20:52:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Asura.Catastrophe said:
Maybe they mean the term "Prompt criticality event"
No, they apparently meant some combination of boron... magically disappearing, and water... like, increasing?

Or... a weird situation where the nuclear reactor could "suddenly restart" and go critical again on its own. And then explode?

Also, unicorns.

Maybe when this happens the world will actually turn into Pokémon and all my dreams and fetishes will finally come true.

Or you know the world could not play out like a Disaster B-movie.
[+]
 Caitsith.Taazy
Server: Caitsith
user: taaz
By Caitsith.Taazy 2011-03-18 21:25:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
0216: The Daily Yomiuri tweets: "Govt says a cooling pump is now operating at the spent fuel pool at the No 5 reactor at the Fukushima No 1 nuclear power plant."
 Asura.Jaybezz
Server: Asura
By Asura.Jaybezz 2011-03-19 05:21:36
Link | Quote | Reply

linkky dinky

The quake which has just struck hit Ibaraki prefecture and registered magnitude 6.1, AFP says

that whole area might be unstable for months 6.1

no tsunami was created tho which is good
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-19 06:14:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Hehe someone just showed me this. Here is a super dumbed down version of what is happening for the stupid masses out there getting stirred up by the media. Sadly though I believe this was made for kids I think this is how half the world needs to have it explained to them

[+]
 Caitsith.Neonracer
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2011-03-19 10:29:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Hehe someone just showed me this. Here is a super dumbed down version of what is happening for the stupid masses out there getting stirred up by the media. Sadly though I believe this was made for kids I think this is how half the world needs to have it explained to them

I liked it where is said The poo won't fly, No Dice...

LOL'd

The Japanese have a witty side of humor about them, when they use bodily functions or things that have to do in a bodily manner.

That video was easily dumbed down so anyone can understand.

^^
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2011-03-19 10:53:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Along line of previous conversation, here's another absolutely priceless media *** of the day.

Ann Coulter stating that radiation exposure actually makes you healthier and less likely to contract cancer.

She reminds me of

And how off the wall do you have to be to make O'Reilly sound like the voice of reason?
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2011-03-19 10:59:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:

As far as an explosion... well there is enough poisons and such loaded in and made from the running of a reactor in the fuel that nuclear explosion would be impossible. Ever. In fact you a implosion is almost required for that anyways. As far as another steam or hydrogen explosion... doubtful but possible. But last I heard cooling had been restored making it alot less likely

To stave off people thinking the reactors themselves are poisonous (or are having a DOT effect... it is a FFXI forum), when he mentions poisons, Dasva is talking about adding a substance that absorbs neutrons.

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Demetreos
Server: Siren
user: Riggy
By Siren.Demetreos 2011-03-19 12:57:01
Link | Quote | Reply

"'Nuclear Ninja' Suicide Mission To Save Japan"

Clicky.
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-03-19 13:01:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Demetreos said:

Clicky.

Anyone know where the reporter is getting their numbers/information from?

Quote:
The group, whose identities remain a mystery, stayed at the plant after 700 of their colleagues fled when radiation levels peaked at lethal levels.

Of those who decided to stay, five are known to have already died. A further two are missing and at least 21 others have been injured.
 Bismarck.Tragedie
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Tragedie 2011-03-19 13:07:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm trying to find the source, but a few days ago when two plant techncians were reported missing, a subsequent report stated they had been missing since the Tsunami on Friday. This is assuming the Sky News report is referring to those two plant operators, and not two different ones.

Post deleted by User.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2011-03-19 15:48:55
Link | Quote | Reply

So the news is saying now that Tokyo tap water is now tainted with traces of Iodine. I wonder how that will get fixed.

MSN News re: Japan's ongoing crisis

I just wanted to show you all the webpage, as I was curious to bring some info with me, regardless if its news or reletive nonsense.

It is a intriguing thought.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-03-20 02:47:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Catastrophe said:
Caitsith.Neonracer said:
So the news is saying now that Tokyo tap water is now tainted with traces of Iodine. I wonder how that will get fixed.

I just wanted to show you all the webpage, as I was curious to bring some info with me, regardless if its news or reletive nonsense.

Well, KI can help a little with that if it's really that bad. Either way, people might need to drink purified water for a few weeks for it to decay, assuming it's I-131.

I like how the reporters are saying one thing, but the government is saying another. These people are so skilled into delivering news into worst case scenarios, I'm literally in shock how terrible these new sources are.

The Associate Press originally started this story. Then the BBC reported on what they said and that the "the usual tests show nothing". The Japanese government said that if you drank a liter of water you would be getting 1/88th, which is less than a cat scan.
Somewhere here it is written.

EDIT: 1646, 1321 are the updates for drinking water in Tokyo
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2011-03-20 02:47:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Demetreos said:

Clicky.

1828: An update on the six workers exposed to more than 100 millisieverts of radiation at the nuclear plant: "There has been no adverse effect on their health," one official from the Tokyo Electric Power Company told the AFP news agency. They are apparently still working at the plant but it is not known if they had been given different tasks.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-20 03:45:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said:
Asura.Catastrophe said:
Caitsith.Neonracer said:

Well, KI can help a little with that if it's really that bad. Either way, people might need to drink purified water for a few weeks for it to decay, assuming it's I-131.

I like how the reporters are saying one thing, but the government is saying another. These people are so skilled into delivering news into worst case scenarios, I'm literally in shock how terrible these new sources are.
The Associate Press originally started this story. Then the BBC reported on what they said and that the "the usual tests cannot detect any radiation". The Japanese government said that if you drank a liter of water you would be getting 1/88th, which is less than a cat scan. Somewhere here it is written.
Assuming they are referring to 131 since all 135 should be gone by now.

Didn't feel like sifting thru all just to find that tidbit... but 1 depending on the type and how they do it it can vary from like 100 mrem to like 4rem. I mean yeah it's more or less safe to get. But it's not something you want to get often. Depending on location and source the average per year from background is 240-360mrem a year. So yeah...

But don't know what part of the range they are using... what they are using to get how much you should get. Like the full amount of time it should last in your body including how the rate will lower as more of it decays away?

Figure you should drink around 2 liters a day.. hard to do the math since it is decaying... half life of about a week. And wont know how long more will be getting into the water and or how much etc. Or how much might get filtered out or diluted etc.
[+]
 Cerberus.Halfpint
Server: Cerberus
user: Halfpint
By Cerberus.Halfpint 2011-03-20 12:08:07
Link | Quote | Reply

It's now 11:30 am central time and this is my only source of GOOD information. I a hoping I can still get updates here from time to time.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2011-03-20 12:18:40
Link | Quote | Reply

...and Dasva and Catastrophe are still doing excellent jobs on doing what they always have been.. bringing this into prosepctive!

Thanks guys! ^.^b

oops, I should add Jaerik too..( sorry mega boss..) LOL
 Bismarck.Angeleus
Server: Bismarck
user: Munky
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2011-03-20 12:30:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Neonracer said:

( sorry mega boss..) LOL
[+]
 Siren.Kuz
Server: Siren
user: RobKuz
By Siren.Kuz 2011-03-21 11:59:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Quick read, and totally worth it

Japan does NOT have an "Eggman" Nuclear Power Plant
 Lakshmi.Kinjite
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Kinjite 2011-03-21 13:30:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I have read thru most of the posts and wonder......has anyone considered the problems they are gonna have with the soil of the farms now that they have been drenched in salt water? its always been my thoughts that seawater CANNOT be good for crops
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-21 17:47:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Kinjite said:
I have read thru most of the posts and wonder......has anyone considered the problems they are gonna have with the soil of the farms now that they have been drenched in salt water? its always been my thoughts that seawater CANNOT be good for crops
iirc japan doesn't exactly have alot of viable land for agriculture to begin with. But interesting though. No salt is not good for most crops. Way way back in the day sometimes armys would sow salt into the farm land as a final FU. But not sure how much actually stays and gets deposited from this so who knows. Or how far inland it worked given the hilly nature of alot of the country

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 ... 61 62 63