First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 61 62 63
 Shiva.Aaralyn
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Aaralyn
By Shiva.Aaralyn 2011-03-11 09:07:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Kyaaadaa said:
really makes me wonder if I didn't see some of those places that got trashed and don't even know it, I've been all over japan on trips and tours, and I could have very well met any number of Japanese individuals who are now either dead, homeless, or missing.
So upsetting to think about..
 Bismarck.Kyaaadaa
Server: Bismarck
user: Kyaaadaa
By Bismarck.Kyaaadaa 2011-03-11 09:08:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Aaralyn said:
So upsetting to think about..
It really is. The Japanese are a little standoffish to communicate with, but I'd say 90% are really cool people. Sucks this happened to us.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-03-11 09:09:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Aaralyn said:
400 death toll. Still unclear about a boat that had about 80 people on it.

If it was out at sea it was most likely fine. In the ocean the Tsunami is on the ocean floor until it starts getting close to land. (the sea level narrows out).
 Bismarck.Kyaaadaa
By Bismarck.Kyaaadaa 2011-03-11 09:10:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I believe he's talking about the boat that capsized that had passengers onboard. I haven't heard anything yet.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-03-11 09:12:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Kyaaadaa said:
I believe he's talking about the boat that capsized that had passengers onboard. I haven't heard anything yet.

Oh my apologies... Damn.. that must mean they didn't get out to sea far enough.. :/
 Bismarck.Kyaaadaa
By Bismarck.Kyaaadaa 2011-03-11 09:13:06
Link | Quote | Reply

i dont remember the particulars
 Bismarck.Kyaaadaa
By Bismarck.Kyaaadaa 2011-03-11 09:14:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I was more focused on the nuclear power plant problem. If that had been catastrophic, the US Military would have looked at jetting us out. I got my bag packed in case something stoopid happens anyway.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-03-11 09:15:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Kyaaadaa said:
I was more focused on the nuclear power plant problem. If that had been catastrophic, the US Military would have looked at jetting us out. I got my bag packed in case something stoopid happens anyway.

Is that nuclear problem stable now?
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2011-03-11 09:16:01
Link | Quote | Reply

The Tsunami has reached the Hawaiian Islands now, waves of 3ft high are surging inland with warnings of more (possibly worse) to come according to MSN.
 Shiva.Aaralyn
By Shiva.Aaralyn 2011-03-11 09:16:52
Link | Quote | Reply

(She. :x) But yes.
 Shiva.Aaralyn
By Shiva.Aaralyn 2011-03-11 09:19:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Parts of California have moved from an alert to a warning. San Diego being one. My half sister has a sister there. :/
 Bismarck.Kyaaadaa
By Bismarck.Kyaaadaa 2011-03-11 09:22:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Aaralyn said:
Apologies.
As its been explained to me, the problem wasn't about whether the nuclear plant was going to explode. The problem was that the quake knocked out the generators that actuate the cooling water and the reactor wasn't cooling. This would cause warped and bubbled metal in the reactor core. If any of the cooling water that IS there came in contact with the radioactive materials, they would have a serious HAZMAT situation.
 Shiva.Aaralyn
By Shiva.Aaralyn 2011-03-11 09:27:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Kyaaadaa said:
Shiva.Aaralyn said:
Apologies.
As its been explained to me, the problem wasn't about whether the nuclear plant was going to explode. The problem was that the quake knocked out the generators that actuate the cooling water and the reactor wasn't cooling. This would cause warped and bubbled metal in the reactor core. If any of the cooling water that IS there came in contact with the radioactive materials, they would have a serious HAZMAT situation.

Just saw a bit on this. I hope for the best.
 Bismarck.Kyaaadaa
By Bismarck.Kyaaadaa 2011-03-11 09:29:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Reactor isn't a problem except for the immediate area (thank god, I don't think the Japanese could tolerate a nuclear problem with the 8.9 quake and tsunami) we're all looking at Fuji going "you going to wake up now?"
By Daosim 2011-03-11 09:56:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Does anyone know the extent of the flooding in Hakodate? I haven't been able to find much on it, it's pretty far out from the epicentre but being surrounded by ocean both sides I should image something kicked off there also. Two of my best friends live there and I can't get hold of either, I'm sure they have more pressing issues on their minds like their immediate family right now but doesn't stop my worrying.
 Asura.Daleterrence
Server: Asura
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2011-03-11 09:56:49
Link | Quote | Reply

@BBCBreaking via Twitter said:
The United States appears to be out of major danger from the tsunami, White House Chief of Staff Bill Daley has said. "The tsunami wave has gone through Hawaii and there does not seem to be any enormous impact, which is extremely encouraging," he told a meeting of the President's Export Council in Washington. There was still some risk to the US West Coast, "but I think the enormous fears that that were there hours ago, for some of us hours ago, has diminished greatly, which is quite a relief for all of us", Mr Daley added.

Edit: Just noticed the guy's name, I didn't post it because his name is Mr Daley, just trying to keep people updated if they didn't know already.
 Bismarck.Misao
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2011-03-11 10:07:26
Link | Quote | Reply

a friend posted this. If you are looking for a known person missing in Japan, this google tool can help
http://japan.person-finder.appspot.com/?lang=en
[+]
By Fox2Tails 2011-03-11 10:11:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Well that made me laugh. The first place that the waves reached the US was Oregon, which is the place where the one person I want gone lives
[+]
 Asura.Daleterrence
By Asura.Daleterrence 2011-03-11 10:15:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Fox2Tails said:
Well that made me laugh. The first place that the waves hit the US was Oregon, which is the place where the one person I want gone lives

That's uncalled for, we are lucky the waves calmed down before they hit anywhere else, otherwise this disaster could be a lot worse than it is already.
By Fox2Tails 2011-03-11 10:17:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Daleterrence said:
Fox2Tails said:
Well that made me laugh. The first place that the waves hit the US was Oregon, which is the place where the one person I want gone lives

That's uncalled for, we are lucky the waves calmed down before they hit anywhere else, otherwise this disaster could be a lot worse than it is already.
Oh well.
[+]
 Sylph.Oddin
Server: Sylph
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2011-03-11 10:17:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Fox2Tails said:
Well that made me laugh. The first place that the waves reached the US was Oregon, which is the place where the one person I want gone lives

[+]
 Asura.Daleterrence
By Asura.Daleterrence 2011-03-11 10:19:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oddin said:
Fox2Tails said:

Well that was about 50 times more effective than anything I could say.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-03-11 10:20:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Wonder if any idiots in socal tried surfing lol
 Caitsith.Asrielle
Server: Caitsith
user: asrielle
By Caitsith.Asrielle 2011-03-11 10:20:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Waves hit Hawaii first btw

Several places along the Wa coast are on advisory. Dad says so far looks like high storm waves.
 Asura.Daleterrence
By Asura.Daleterrence 2011-03-11 10:21:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Daleterrence said:
The United States appears to be out of major danger from the tsunami, White House Chief of Staff Bill Daley has said. "The tsunami wave has gone through Hawaii and there does not seem to be any enormous impact, which is extremely encouraging," he told a meeting of the President's Export Council in Washington. There was still some risk to the US West Coast, "but I think the enormous fears that that were there hours ago, for some of us hours ago, has diminished greatly, which is quite a relief for all of us", Mr Daley added.

^
 Asura.Daleterrence
By Asura.Daleterrence 2011-03-11 10:23:23
Link | Quote | Reply

1619 GMT: Japan's Kyodo news agency is now saying the death toll has risen to 137.
 Shiva.Aaralyn
By Shiva.Aaralyn 2011-03-11 10:26:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Daleterrence said:
1619 GMT: Japan's Kyodo news agency is now saying the death toll has risen to 137.

KTVB local news is saying there is a total of 400 confirmed deaths, and hundreds still missing.
 Asura.Chuuuuu
user: chuuuuu
By Asura.Chuuuuu 2011-03-11 10:27:55
Link | Quote | Reply

yahoo news says about 88,000 people missing. here
[+]
 Ramuh.Lilsanchez
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Lilsanchez 2011-03-11 10:31:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Tgibs said:
just got home from work and watching it on tv. hope they can recover swiftly from this tragedy.
 Asura.Daleterrence
By Asura.Daleterrence 2011-03-11 10:32:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Aaralyn said:
Asura.Daleterrence said:

KTVB local news is saying there is a total of 400 confirmed deaths, and hundreds still missing.

They edited the tweet, to include those missing.

New tweet;

1619 GMT: Japan's Kyodo news agency is now saying the death toll has risen to 137, with 531 people missing.

Naturally, I'm just keeping track of the BBC Twitter, and posting what I can, for those who aren't. Of course, this is just coming in, so I'll edit and update as it comes along, if anyone wants to chime in and correct it, that's fine.

Edit: If anyone has any other news feeds they would like me to follow, tell me.
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 61 62 63