First Page 2 3 ... 43 44 45 ... 61 62 63
 Caitsith.Taazy
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: taaz
By Caitsith.Taazy 2011-03-14 18:48:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
2344: Tokyo Electric says that 50 employees are still staying at the Fukushima plant
 Caitsith.Neonracer
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2011-03-14 18:52:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey Jaerik, thanks for all that scientific posting re: the Nuclear power plants...

I don't know if I should compare you to

or

or maybe this guy....for laughs..

some how I don't see Jae, being Bill Nye for some reason... the trench coat prolly doesn't do it for ya!! LOL
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-03-14 18:52:56
Link | Quote | Reply

He wore his bow tie on the news too

Holy ***? Prof. Frink= Bill Nye? Both have bow ties :o

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-14 18:56:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Noooo hydrogen embrittlement talk

/wrist. Must not remember various pressure temperature limit
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2011-03-14 18:57:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Schutz said:
Not panicking is very wise, but not painting a rosey picture until it's all-clear might be wise also. :/
You're absolutely right.

The problem is, people seem to be almost wanting Michael Bay levels of disaster here just for the excitement factor, and it's significantly infecting the foreign media coverage of the situation.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2011-03-14 18:58:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Catastrophe, isn't any water cold, safe at this point though?

What choices does Japan have left?
 Bismarck.Daikano
Server: Bismarck
user: Daikano
By Bismarck.Daikano 2011-03-14 18:59:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Neonracer said:
Hey Jaerik, thanks for all that scientific posting re: the Nuclear power plants...

^This and to Dasva and Catastrophe too. Kind of funny I've been coming here (and the BBC link) for information rather than sitting in my living room watching the news. Thanks for updates and better information than what we're getting from national news here.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2011-03-14 19:00:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey , Anything with Jaerik and Dasv and Cat, this whole thread, imo, has been sparkling like a Christmas tree all day... its why I haven't been able to do anything but read on ffxiah, all day, to get the most of my news.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-14 19:00:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Neonracer said:

Some cooling is better than none even though heat generation is next to nothing now... but there is alot of reasons sea water is a last resort. It will cause it's own set of dmg and pretty much makes everything in there unusable and creates alot more radioactive waste.
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2011-03-14 19:03:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Fenrir.Schutz said:
Not panicking is very wise, but not painting a rosey picture until it's all-clear might be wise also. :/
You're absolutely right. The problem is, people seem to be almost wanting Michael Bay levels of disaster here just for the excitement factor, and it's significantly infecting the foreign media coverage of the situation.

Yah, it's bad in that regard. It's like every news story is obligated to include the "what if" description of the ultimate catastrophic chain of events (should the worst happen) within two paragraphs of stating any new updates on the status of the reactors--which usually takes up more of the story exposition than the scant updated portion does. :/
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2011-03-14 19:14:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Caitsith.Neonracer said:

Some cooling is better than none even though heat generation is next to nothing now... but there is alot of reasons sea water is a last resort. It will cause it's own set of dmg and pretty much makes everything in there unusable and creates alot more radioactive waste.
Something like that. On a general note, water is known for its high specific heat, so yeah, ANY sort of water is fine at this point. The idea is to keep it under 1200­°C.

More specifically, pure water is the best. Ions and other components of salt water will become more "activated"--will absorb neutrons given off by the rods and become radioactive.

On another note: Explosion at 2nd reactor in Fukushima. 3rd to have happened in 4 days.
 Caitsith.Taazy
By Caitsith.Taazy 2011-03-14 19:15:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
0005: Radioactive materials are feared to be leaking at Fukushima, Kyodo reports quoting a safety agency.
 Caitsith.Taazy
By Caitsith.Taazy 2011-03-14 19:15:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
0008: martyn_williams tweets: "Tepco (Tokyo Electric Power Company) erred by starting with apology - making it seem big increase in seriousness - then unable to follow with simple explanation."
 Caitsith.Taazy
By Caitsith.Taazy 2011-03-14 19:19:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
0013: An article in the Japan Times says: "The radioactive fuel rods at the No. 2 reactor of the Fukushima No. 1 power station were fully exposed at one point Monday, Tokyo Electric Power Co. said, raising the possibility that it suffered a partial core meltdown."

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-14 19:26:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Anye said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Caitsith.Neonracer said:
Catastrophe, isn't any water cold, safe at this point though? What choices does Japan have left?
Something like that. On a general note, water is known for its high specific heat, so yeah, ANY sort of water is fine at this point. The idea is to keep it under 1200­°C.

More specifically, pure water is the best. Ions and other components of salt water will become more "activated"--will absorb neutrons given off by the rods and become radioactive.

On another note: Explosion at 2nd reactor in Fukushima. 3rd to have happened in 4 days.
Well not completely pure water. DI iirc is like 3rd choice. Usually put in lots of chemicals in order to maintain chemistry in various ways for various reasons mostly to do with corrision. But we use stuff that doesn't get too activated or decays quickly and actuall overall loweres radiocative material overall. The extra corrision itself creates alot of waste since the plant materials have decently longer half lifes and often higher energy decays.... not to mention the fuel.

Which is part of the reason most the 4th gen plants in the works don't use water.

Water was just nice cause it worked as a decent coolant a moderator and reflector and there is tons of it everywhere. Led to some greater inherent stability.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-14 19:28:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Catastrophe said:
The article just suggest like they're going to just replace the core and its instrumentation and it'll be that easy.
... Yeah.... no. So much corrosion so many hot spots /cry
 Caitsith.Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2011-03-14 19:29:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Catastrophe said:
Caitsith.Neonracer said:

Oh I'm not criticizing. The article just suggest like they're going to just replace the core and its instrumentation and it'll be that easy. I'm just saying that injecting seawater at the temperatures and pressures the coolant was at isn't exactly carbon steel/alloy 825 SS pleasant. Stainless steel can withstand a lot of it based on its Nickel and Chromium content, but I can't imagine it still being a recommended alternative just letting it sit in there for 10 days and then decide to flush it out and not expect there to be damage.

On carbon steel (if they use any in conjunction to their RCIC since they have no steam generator), for instance, it would be literally eaten away in MINUTES.

Never thought You did Cat.. You and Dasv and myself , looks like we've all been enjoying the good banter between us.. that's a good thing!
XD
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-14 19:29:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Catastrophe said:
I'm not entirely sure they keep Zinc anodes in the primary system either, but I could be wrong.
They might. Or even inject some to maintain lvls I think that was determined more cost efficient. Works great normally... will just bow down to sea water though

Post deleted by User.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2011-03-14 19:36:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Davs, if they went the Zinc method tho, would there be less waste to clean up after, b.c didn't Jaerik or Anye mention that sea water will still produce waste? Either or, there will still be waste to clean up, regardless..
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-14 19:37:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Catastrophe said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Catastrophe said:
I'm not entirely sure they keep Zinc anodes in the primary system either, but I could be wrong.
They might. Or even inject some to maintain lvls I think that was determined more cost efficient. Works great normally... will just bow down to sea water though
I can't imagine them even finding a place to bolt it in.. Maybe in the vessel itself...

I doubt any chemist decided that it was prudent to try and maintain and prevent galvanic corrosion amidst all the problems.
Well if they are anything like some of the people I've worked with they probably tried to bring it up alot while other people just kinda stared blankly. Seriously some people I swear like to bring up stuff just to look smart when there are clearly much greater priorities.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-14 19:43:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Neonracer said:
Davs, if they went the Zinc method tho, would there be less waste to clean up after, b.c didn't Jaerik or Anye mention that sea water will still produce waste? Either or, there will still be waste to clean up, regardless..
Zinc is just used because it is much more suspectable to galvanic corrisions. It's used in alot of systems. You might use something that has zincs. The idea is as long as it is there to corrode the actually structure is less likely to. Most of the plant materials like cobalt are worse than zinc far as becoming radioactive. It also is used to minimize hot spots since it will more likely coolect in low flow areas than the corrisions products.

Yeah all the water will have to be disposed of and/or cleaned. Pretty much everything in it will be activated and there is alot of ***in sea water. Poor sea critters :(
 Sylph.Beelshamen
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2011-03-14 19:43:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Fenrir.Schutz said:
You're absolutely right.

The problem is, people seem to be almost wanting Michael Bay levels of disaster here just for the excitement factor, and it's significantly infecting the foreign media coverage of the situation.

When I heard the media say "Chernobyl" I pretty much realized how far-fetched the general coverage on the situation must have been. However I can understand a lot of people getting scared. I don't know who helped Chernobyl into the world, but it's media at its worst.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-14 19:44:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Catastrophe said:
I heard a lot of stories about ELTs making people drink the primary solution with NH4OH- in it.
*cough* I don't know what you are talking about *cough*

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-14 19:53:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Catastrophe said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Catastrophe said:
I heard a lot of stories about ELTs making people drink the primary solution with NH4OH- in it.
*cough* I don't know what you are talking about *cough*
Bad night on the toilet, I bet |:
About as bad as drinking DI water
First Page 2 3 ... 43 44 45 ... 61 62 63