FFXIV On Track for 2010 Release
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Ramuh.Kalyna
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
By Ramuh.Kalyna 2010-04-27 10:26:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Zekko said:
The will be another Xbox if theres a ps4 in the making. Micosoft won't let Sony get off the easy way, they are rivals on the gaming market, whilst Nintendo just sit there and laugh whilst they get 2x more console sales.
LOL nintendo's like "shhh we're brainwashing kids now, go ahead and bicker. Kids, go shoot up your schools <nintendotrollface>"

btw Wii2 has been in the making for a while now. any new news on that? XD supposed to be basically Wii w/ Blu-ray + better graphics.

nintendo knows what they're doing.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-27 10:28:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I find it funny how all the 360 and PS3 fanboys mocked the Wii when it was first revealed, and now back up the fact that Natal and what-ever the PS3 motion control is called is coming out.

Hypocrisy, thy name is console war.
 Ramuh.Kalyna
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Kalyna 2010-04-27 10:31:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
I find it funny how all the 360 and PS3 fanboys mocked the Wii when it was first revealed, and now back up the fact that Natal and what-ever the PS3 motion control is called is coming out. Hypocrisy, thy name is console war.
i know what you mean.

personally, i don't like the Wii Remote. Why they're making a Wii remote for PS3 and why did 360 copy WiiMiis i have no idea. (personally, they're ugly)

i think nintendo's trying to rule the world >>;
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-27 10:33:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never really liked the Wii-mote, It's Ok to play with as long as it's a normal game and not gimmicky >.>

I'd prefer a controller any day though.
 Valefor.Sketchkat
Server: Valefor
user: sketchkat
By Valefor.Sketchkat 2010-04-27 10:37:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
People are going to actually buy this for consoles? lol

I'll be buying it for PS3. I've never had a whole lot of interest in pc gaming, because I don't really care about mods/add-ons and stuff like that, plus I like to sit back on the couch when I play, and I prefer controllers to keyboards.

Not that I have anything against pc gamers or anything, it's just not my cup of tea.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Fenrir.Anberlin
Server: Fenrir
user: Kike
By Fenrir.Anberlin 2010-04-27 11:35:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Yes, just as people bought Final Fantasy XI for consoles. The sales were so great actually, they developed it for the Xbox 360 years after the original release.
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Updating is far more cost effective than buying a new machine every time it comes out.
Shiva.Flionheart said:
There's only so much of an upgrade you can do before the console isn't a 360 anymore lol.

The same thing happens when building a PC. If you have multiple ways to upgrade, you might as well keep that PC as a secondary, and start a-new.

I'm very confused. These two sentences above are very conflicting. You criticize the Xbox because of the lack of upgradability, yet also suggest buying a new computer rather than upgrade it?
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bismarck.Awezomeos said:
yea beacause a new PS3 is much cheaper then a good gaming PC

Not really :/

Yes, really.

The price of a brand new PlayStation 3 retails for: $299.
The price of the cheapest computer I could find is: $349.

The computer (link available below) is not guaranteed to even meet the system requirements. Integrated graphics cards are usually never supported by new games at release. So immediately, your already looking at having to buy a dedicated graphics card. A basic one which could run Final Fantasy XIV could run between $50-80. Further, this PC is beyond basic and you can bet you'll have plenty of lag. If you want a decent experience playing you will need to throw down a couple hundred more.

It's worth mentioning that this computer doesn't even come with a monitor. Most computers don't in the sub-$500 price range.

Computer Reference: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dddoaa2&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

In conclusion, you are mistaken: consoles are in fact cheaper. Building your own computer can be cheaper if you are spending a lot of money but anything under $1000 PC manufacturers will always have you beat. They just have superior pricing because of the amount of hardware and software they buy in bulk and are able to pass this on to their customers.

Now, if you are talking about the overall experience or versatility between PCs and consoles that is completely debatable. Whatever works for one person might not for the next.

Source:
I have a degree in Educational Technology. My work experience includes managing a school district's networking infrastructure as well as procuring servers, machines and individual parts for teachers and students. I work with multiple vendors on a weekly basis. I have built multiple computers over the past eight years for a variety of purposes including both personal and work related.
[+]
By tingletaru 2010-04-27 11:40:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you Anberlin.
I'm glad that you and I will be playing FFXIV both on PS3 AND our sexy computers. :) Maybe even Xbox too, if they ever release for it.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-27 11:45:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Anberlin said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Yes, just as people bought Final Fantasy XI for consoles. The sales were so great actually, they they developed it for the Xbox 360 years after the original release.
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Updating is far more cost effective than buying a new machine every time it comes out.
Shiva.Flionheart said:
There's only so much of an upgrade you can do before the console isn't a 360 anymore lol.

The same thing happens when building a PC. If you have multiple ways to upgrade, you might as well keep that PC as a secondary, and start a-new.

I'm very confused. These two sentences above are very conflicting. You criticize the Xbox because of the lack of upgradability, yet also suggest buying a new computer rather than upgrade it as well?
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bismarck.Awezomeos said:
yea beacause a new PS3 is much cheaper then a good gaming PC

Not really :/

Yes, really.

The price of a brand new PlayStation 3 retails for: $299.
The price of the cheapest computer I could find is: $349.

The computer (link available below) is not guaranteed to even meet the system requirements. Integrated graphics cards are usually never supported by new games at release. So immediately, your already looking at having to buy a dedicated graphics card. A basic one which could run Final Fantasy XIV could run between $50-80. Further, this PC is beyond basic and you can bet you'll have plenty of lag. If you want a decent experience playing you will need to throw down a couple hundred more.

It's worth mentioning that this computer doesn't even come with a monitor. Most computers don't in the sub-$500 price range.

Computer Reference: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dddoaa2&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

In conclusion, you are mistaken: consoles are in fact cheaper. Building your own computer can be cheaper if you are spending a lot of money but anything under $1000 PC manufacturers will always have you beat. They just have superior pricing because of the amount of hardware and software they buy in bulk and are able to pass this on to their customers.

Now, if you are talking about the overall experience or versatility between PCs and consoles that is completely debatable. Whatever works for one person might not for the next.

Source:
I have a degree in Educational Technology. My work experience includes managing a school district's networking infrastructure as well as procuring servers, machines and individual parts for teachers and students. I work with multiple vendors on a weekly basis.

I wasn't really contradicting. I was making the observation that PC's won't last forever, but they do however last a hell of a lot longer than a console.

Also, Maybe where you are from you can't build a PC for cheaper than that to run the basic specs of FFXIV, but here you can easily.

A brand new PS3 here is: £269.99 so...

~$412.00

And with the logic of needing a monitor, you could say the same about needing a TV to use a console.

Those vendors suck is all I can say.
By tingletaru 2010-04-27 11:45:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
I find it funny how all the 360 and PS3 fanboys mocked the Wii when it was first revealed, and now back up the fact that Natal and what-ever the PS3 motion control is called is coming out.

Hypocrisy, thy name is console war.

Oh yeah, also this: PS2 EyeToy

I've always hated motion controlled gimmicky things like these. I will still be avoiding the Wii, Natal, and the new PS3 EyeToy (I think it's just called the Playstation Eye now).

Also, I started playing FFXI on the PS2 when it was first released. I've moved over to the PC, but I still use a PS2 controller :) I hate using a keyboard for moving around in games...
 Sylph.Belmonth
Server: Sylph
user: Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-04-27 11:45:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Fairy.Specopsz said:
Not everyone has the money for a gaming computer, or a fairly nice one at the least.
That's why consoles are nice little back ups, lets people enjoy somewhat of the PC gamers do.

Yet you have the money for a PS3?

PS3 is $299, doubt it compares to a $800-2000 PC (depending on how high end you want it), given also that a lot of people will be unable to upgrade their existing PC.

Also no $399 PC could run this decently looking. I also believe they said on a interview at E3 that both games would be comming at the same time and worldwide release.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-27 11:49:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Belmonth said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Fairy.Specopsz said:
Not everyone has the money for a gaming computer, or a fairly nice one at the least.
That's why consoles are nice little back ups, lets people enjoy somewhat of the PC gamers do.

PS3 is $299, doubt it compares to a $800-2000 PC (depending on how high end you want it), given also that a lot of people will be unable to upgrade their existing PC.

Also no $399 PC could run this decently looking. I also believe they said on a interview at E3 that both games would be comming at the same time and worldwide release.

Again, Limitations.

Do you honestly think for large scale events in 5 years the PS3 and Xbox360 will be able to keep up with the PC?

It's sounding like your trying to justify a purchase of a PS3 imo.

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-27 11:53:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
I bought a new pc recently at 370 shipping. Came with amd quadcore and 6 gigs of ram. The kicker is 1, no monitor, 2 onboard video.

So even while saving money, I've already put another gig of ram in and I'll have to spend 1-200 on a new video card to play anything more recent. I also had to buy a new wireless card for the pci e x32 slot, and if I didn't already have one, I'd need a better PSU (have a 100$ 650 watt psu to put in) then the 340 watt psu it comes with.

So even with those deals, you end up having to put in 250$ to make it worthwhile to play new stuff.

Ps3 seems cheaper, just not my thing.. lol.

Lol 7GB of RAM is slight overkill. Run 4GB save money, get a GPU and bam, cheaper than a PS3, and also more powerful.

You could again, say the same things about not having a display for the PS3.

Post deleted by User.
 Seraph.Rafik
Server: Seraph
user: dascorp
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-04-27 11:57:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Just wait till the games comes out. The price will go down, on what is already out there. You wont need the latest things to play the game.

AMD just came up with 6core CPU

sounds crazy I know, we just had quad core and now this

Post deleted by User.
By tingletaru 2010-04-27 11:59:23
Link | Quote | Reply

What about people who already own a PS3? Then they don't have to justify buying a new one. I've owned a PS3 since release, and I've gotten my money's worth out of it! We play Blu-Rays on it all the time, PS1 and PS2 games, PS3 games (probably what we use it for the least... lol!), etc etc. FFXIV will be a nice little bonus :) I'll still be playing primarily on my PC though, but that's just because I spent a lot of money on it. I will be getting my money's worth out of the PC too, don't worry! >:)
 Fenrir.Anberlin
By Fenrir.Anberlin 2010-04-27 11:59:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Again, Limitations.

Do you honestly think for large scale events in 5 years the PS3 and Xbox360 will be able to keep up with the PC?

What "large scale events" are you talking about? I think what you should really look at here is the Playstation 2 and Final Fantasy XI simply because the future will mirror the past in terms of compatibility and support.

Even today, Playstation 2 users can experience the same game and expansions as any other player despite if they are using an Xbox 360 or even the latest and fastest PC. The graphics are definitely inferior but the game is still the same. They haven't been left out to not participate an anything.

Final Fantasy XIV will not ditch the Playstation 3 community in a couple of years.
Shiva.Flionheart said:

I'm sure there are a lot of players here on the forums who are like myself who already own all three consoles (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii) as well as a PC too. We are able to post here on the forums, right?

There is something to be said about being able to play a game while resting on the couch and looking up at a nice big television. I highly prefer it than sitting in a chair at a desk. Despite having a $3,000 computer in the same room I prefer playing Final Fantasy XI/XIV on my console.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-27 12:00:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
I had the 1 gig from another pc, I know it's overkill. Wouldn't of put another in otherwise.

The onboard video is poor enough to HAVE to need a new one. That alone is 100 , and unless you like cards failing after three months, 150-200 lol.

Well for a 4870 you'd be running about £89.99 so ~$138.07

for a solid card that has good driver support, and a very good track record.

I'm running 4GB of RAM, a Q6600 CPU, Asus P5k Premium mobo and a ATI HD 4890 GPU.

When I bought it, it ran me about £450 a year ago
 Sylph.Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-04-27 12:00:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Sylph.Belmonth said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Fairy.Specopsz said:

Again, Limitations.

No, not really as I have a high end PC, though my statement was in contrast to people that wants to play the game and wants to go for the cheaper option, also keep in mind the procesing of the PS2 was pretty basic... and not to mention the 360 was a lazy half arsed port of the PC and hence why pretty weak in crowded areas like dragon's aery and such, now the PS3 compared to the PS2 and 360, the PS3 can process lot of data at the same time. This what "The cell" of the PS3 really does, able to process a lot of on screen objects flawlessly without FPS drops.

I also doubt it would make a difference in "5 years" the PS3 and 360 being able to catch up with the PC, first because I really doubt they make an engine change or up graphics like they are aiming to do with Aion, they never did it with FFXI why would they now? and second that probably a newer Playstation or Xbox would be out by then or at least announced.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-27 12:03:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Anberlin said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Again, Limitations.

What "large scale events" are you talking about? I think what you should really look at here is the Playstation 2 and Final Fantasy XI simply because the future will mirror the past in terms of compatibility and support.

Even today, Playstation 2 users can experience the same game and expansions as any other player despite if they are using an Xbox 360 or even the latest and fastest PC. The graphics are definitely inferior but the game is still the same. They haven't been left out to not participate an anything.

Final Fantasy XIV will not ditch the Playstation 3 community in a couple of years.
Shiva.Flionheart said:

I'm sure there are a lot of players here on the forums who are like myself and own all three consoles (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii) as well as a PC too. We are able to post here on the forums, right?

There is something to be said about being able to play a game while resting on the couch and looking up at a nice big television. I highly prefer it than sitting in a chair at a desk. Despite having a $3,000 computer in the same room I prefer playing Final Fantasy XI/XIV on my console.

Lol, I'm sure the PS2 and 360 players are enjoying the full FFXI experience every time they are thrown out of Dynamis and Beseiged due to their systems simply not handling it.

You can also assume something like Windower will be coming out for FFXIV, and in that case you are gimping yourself simply because of stubbornness.
 Fenrir.Anberlin
By Fenrir.Anberlin 2010-04-27 12:03:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

Let's not forget that televisions are a lot more common in households than computers.

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-27 12:05:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Anberlin said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Let's not forget that televisions are a lot more common in households than computers.

Moot point. If you compare the pricing a PC to the pricing of a PS3 and one of the negatives is the fact that you have no display, you must also place that negative on the other side.

We weren't talking about Entire setups were we, we were talking about a basic system.
 Sylph.Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-04-27 12:05:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Anberlin said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Also this, most people has HDTV's already... I don't think I really know anyone still stuck with SDTV.

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-27 12:06:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Belmonth said:
Fenrir.Anberlin said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Also this, most people has HDTV's already... I don't think I really know anyone still stuck with SDTV.

Again, Moot point.

I could use my PC with my HDTV, therefore display pricing isn't an issue.

I could also use a controller and a wireless keyboard for that matter and sit on the couch.
 Fenrir.Anberlin
By Fenrir.Anberlin 2010-04-27 12:09:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Lol, I'm sure the PS2 and 360 players are enjoying the full FFXI experience every time they are thrown out of Dynamis and Beseiged due to their systems simply not handling it.

You can also assume something like Windower will be coming out for FFXIV, and in that case you are gimping yourself simply because of stubbornness.

Odd, I haven't been 'thrown' out. Actually, you shouldn't comment on something unless you personally have experience with it.

Look I can be ignorant too:
"LOL ENJOY VIRUZ"
Shiva.Flionheart said:
You can also assume something like Windower will be coming out for FFXIV, and in that case you are gimping yourself

Well apparently unlike you I don't have to resort to using a third party tool in order to be a good player. That's not being stubborn, it's just skill I guess.
 Sylph.Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-04-27 12:10:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Sylph.Belmonth said:
Fenrir.Anberlin said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Again, Moot point.

I could use my PC with my HDTV, therefore display pricing isn't an issue.

I could also use a controller and a wireless keyboard for that matter and sit on the couch.

So with a console and still only cost 299?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8