What Happened Casual PT Shouts..

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Servers » Asura » What happened casual PT shouts..
What happened casual PT shouts..
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-09-21 19:01:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Not enough things requiring actual tanks is bad design.

Healing constant, excessive aoe debuffs is bad design.

To many jobs have cap DT is bad design. (they need it because mobs are badly designed)

Too many DD out of 22 jobs is bad design.

DD being perfectly fine with one gear set, but tank needs 100 pieces of gear is bad design.

Not wanting to deal with bad design and just brainlessly mash savage blade. You can't blame them.

Yup- all those I completely agree with. My complaint is why are players shocked by this out of a 21 year old game, where these have been issues from day one? At some point you gotta realize the room you're in, and if that room isn't for you, find somewhere that is or change to fit the room. Sitting and bitching isn't changing jack.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-09-21 19:03:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Sunk cost and addiction.
[+]
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2023-09-21 19:03:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Altering rewards for jobs and/or nonmeta comps. Super simple.

If a VD ambu gets 50% more points for taking drg/drk/dnc/blu etc they're going to be sought. (also tank and healer specifically always get an extra bonus)

I mentioned this a while back when segfarming was less efficient than it is now, I always thought it'd be interesting to see a rotating job of the day that offers a worthwhile bonus to bringing off meta jobs into the content. It might make it more diverse and interesting while offering better rewards and encouraging different strategies depending on the day. The bonus could be significant enough that it would make it worthwhile, but still require knowledge of the job mechanics and a strategy for the job to make it work.

I'm not so sure it matters much now, though, because most jobs can do well in there with gear/ML creep and even carrying dead weight you can do 10k+ if the rest of the group is dialed in.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-09-21 19:13:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Not enough things requiring actual tanks is bad design.

Healing constant, excessive aoe debuffs is bad design.

To many jobs have cap DT is bad design. (they need it because mobs are badly designed)

Too many DD out of 22 jobs is bad design.

DD being perfectly fine with one gear set, but tank needs 100 pieces of gear is bad design.

Not wanting to deal with bad design and just brainlessly mash savage blade. You can't blame them.

Thanks for proving once again that you know nothing about FFXI or game design.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-09-21 19:16:03
Link | Quote | Reply

It's all accurate.

There are (many!) more problems. That's just 5 seconds of obvious problems.

You play 11 because you're a masochist. Anything that isn't designed to make you miserable is done wrong. It's designed poorly in general, but it makes masochists happy.

Your view is assbackwards.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-09-21 19:17:40
Link | Quote | Reply

He actually thinks DD is fine "with one gear set" lmao. My DRK has 60 different pieces of equipment when it only needs to be 15. My SAM has 42 pieces of equipment...once again should only need 15.

Just a reminder, this is the same guy who said "getting a Beastmen's Medal instead of a Demon's Medal drop is planned misery" (not word-for-word)
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2023-09-21 19:51:14
Link | Quote | Reply

The people with only 15 pieces of gear for their job don't post here. You guys clearly haven't played with the dumbs recently enough to remember how bad a lot of people are/were at this game. Also how bad people are at math, in general.

When they got rid of alliance content in end game, they also got rid of casual party shouts. You can have 8 wardrobes. I'd rather gear and play several jobs i never got a chance to play in any of the earlier eras because of inventory woes than put up with terrible players. When there is no conceivable benefit in a MMO to socialize and network because we aren't going to be able to throw large amounts of bodies at our problems, then the bodies we do throw need to have their ***together.

It's not all bad theough. 6 man only gets rid of things like BLUs limitations as a healer or party specific buffing in an alliance. Barance, etc.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-09-21 20:54:39
Link | Quote | Reply

You mean you didnt like doing NiTro, casting 2 songs, then dropping and spamming
/l hurry invite me
/l hurry invite me
/l hurry invite me
/l hurry invite me
/l hurry invite me
/l hurry invite me
/l hurry invite me
only for NiTro to wear before fourth song because some idiot was sleeping at the wheel?
[+]
By Shichishito 2023-09-21 21:20:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Kaja weapons leveled the playing field quite a bit, we can agree a all DD party is doomed to fail but I think spreading 6 DD among 3 parties so you get 2DD + trust buffs should perform slightly better than solo with one more trust support?
By Hopalong 2023-09-21 21:25:02
Link | Quote | Reply

ffxi is way over specialized. lost all the fun. facing extinction.
[+]
By Felgarr 2023-09-21 21:47:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Iamaman said: »
Altering rewards for jobs and/or nonmeta comps. Super simple.

If a VD ambu gets 50% more points for taking drg/drk/dnc/blu etc they're going to be sought. (also tank and healer specifically always get an extra bonus)

I mentioned this a while back when segfarming was less efficient than it is now, I always thought it'd be interesting to see a rotating job of the day that offers a worthwhile bonus to bringing off meta jobs into the content. It might make it more diverse and interesting while offering better rewards and encouraging different strategies depending on the day. The bonus could be significant enough that it would make it worthwhile, but still require knowledge of the job mechanics and a strategy for the job to make it work.

I'm not so sure it matters much now, though, because most jobs can do well in there with gear/ML creep and even carrying dead weight you can do 10k+ if the rest of the group is dialed in.

I actually wouldn't mind this to be honest. If would be SO EASY for SE to adjust the Segment Bonus for touching the exit Conflux, from +25% to +100% if you have $JobOfTheDay.

I also feel like this is what Nintendo would do if they ever made an MMO.
By Felgarr 2023-09-21 21:51:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Hopalong said: »
ffxi is way over specialized. lost all the fun. facing extinction.

I wish SE would take their "*** you, you don't need to play it attitude" and actually design really stupid content. I mean, horrendously stupid, like I-Level 119 KS99 fights, but unbeknownst to us, they can only be beaten with a specific party composition. "Oops, no Dancer in your party? Can't DPS the mob below 1% health"

It's not likely they're trying any way.
By Shichishito 2023-09-21 21:56:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the ffxi communities answer to joboftheday buff would be bringing a alt because why benefit a random person that maybe doesn't even carry their weight if you could simply benefit more yourself.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-09-21 22:07:09
Link | Quote | Reply

If two party members have matching isp bonus negated.

No one bothers to virtual machine their boxes.
By Shichishito 2023-09-21 22:17:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I think jetackuu once claimed he runs virtual machines for all his boxes.

What convinces you that people who are ok with paying for multiboxes would shy away from shelling out another ~5 bucks for a VPN once a incentive is there?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-09-21 22:20:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Not worth the effort. The 5 people who do it get to slide. (cause that's also too much effort to stop them, not impossible)
By Felgarr 2023-09-21 22:20:50
Link | Quote | Reply

If two party members have matching isp bonus negated.

No one bothers to virtual machine their boxes.

VM just gives a separate local IP (but even then can be NAT'ed behind your physical machine that is doing the virtualization). I believe you're trying to describe a way to spoof the IP of your FFXI instance so that it would be appear to be from a separate location / separate person playing that character. You will also need a VPN. Unfortunately, what you said is only about 20% accurate.

You basically said: "Well this person has a keyboard, they must be an active internet user." Close, but not quite.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-09-21 22:22:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Close enough for the people questioning it

I don't bother to do it since they don't care.
By Shichishito 2023-09-21 22:27:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I think IP solution would also potentially penalize households with multiple FFXI players? They are probably not very common but a solution should still try to avoid false positives.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-09-21 22:29:06
Link | Quote | Reply

*** em.

Multiple people in the same house no bonus.

It's all ***that will never happen anyway.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2023-09-21 23:04:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
DD's have issues getting a party spot in basically every MMO, often because of a lack of tanks and healers, and in the case of XI, it's that and the fact that the game is usually better setup with 3 supports and 1 DD than multiple DD. You do better having the most geared player get beefed up than inviting others, which is a huge design flaw that's almost certainly never getting fixed.

Is it a design flaw, or a player failure? I have little patience any more in XI for the guy who says his "job diversity" is MNK SAM WAR COR. Instead of all the constant winging about bad design by SE, maybe those who sit in town afk on their Masa-onry SAM or Negling-onry WAR should build a bard or geo. Guess what? You can still bash ***on the head with those jobs, too.

The design flaw is getting more damage boost out of stacking supports for a single DD than having more DD. There should be some push and shove in that, but considering the spread of DD jobs vs support jobs, it should be more of a one support job for 3 DD's setup.

Conceptually that may be how the game is "meant to be", i.e. melee groups get a bard, ranged groups go COR (though wtf else goes in a ranged group in this scenario cause RNG and COR are only proper ranged DD??) and mage groups have a GEO.

But considering how the mechanics work, you do better dropping a DD and bringing in a COR in that melee group. And you often gain more subbing out another DD and putting in a GEO, even if only for survival.

They'd need to entirely revamp the game to fix this, though. They'd need to start coming up with easier-to-hit caps on buffs/debuffs, so that you gain little from stacking chaos+fury+minuet. They'd need to make it so DNC+Dia III could cap defense down.

But...they're never gonna do all that. The best you might find are mechanics like the Alexander fight where you can't debuff, or they might have a boss that does more damage to you based on how many buffs you have (Gnilgean if you will)

Because not only would that be a lot of work and fundamentally change how we approach almost all content, it would also require a revamp of jobs entirely. Like if they were to start to normalize some of that, they'd need to change GEO pretty hard, cause it's basically only good at its two buffs and standing *** still.
[+]
By Seun 2023-09-21 23:26:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
My complaint is why are players shocked by this out of a 21 year old game, where these have been issues from day one? At some point you gotta realize the room you're in, and if that room isn't for you, find somewhere that is or change to fit the room. Sitting and bitching isn't changing jack.

To be fair, 21 years ago the meta was 1 tank, 1 healer, 1 support and 3 DD. That spread aligns pretty closely with what players actually wanted to play. I still think on any given day you'd more easily find 3 career DD than 3 career supports. I understand the meta shift, but there's no increased appetite from the playerbase to fill those roles. Feels bad.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-09-21 23:31:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Well cor and geo didnt exist. As they added buffers they became permanent dd replacements.
By Felgarr 2023-09-22 02:47:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Well cor and geo didnt exist. As they added buffers they became permanent dd replacements.

SE could fix that, by giving every other DD job a single, party-wide, 4-5 minute buff (or debuff).
By Shichishito 2023-09-22 04:11:58
Link | Quote | Reply

another thing that used to balance out DD vs supports were skillchains - afaik consistent solo chaining wasn't a thing until later when we got full gear haste, multi attack and stp. skillchain dmg was, and still is

You could probably bring that balance back if you'd add some sort of benefit from skillchaining with TP above 2k or at 3k, TP bonus not counting.

If the benefit was extra DMG then they'd either had to raise the 99999 DMG cap (which I don't know if i'd be a fan of, I love me my 99999s), make it a heavy damage over time bonus (which SCH mains would probably be no fans of) or maybe let single steps of a chain cause double (>2k) to triple (=3k) chains for a potential upper limit of 3x 99999.
Could also make such a chain yield some sort of buff that can compete with what supports have to offer.

I don't think consistant >2k tp between a step is a thing, even jobs like SAM can only do that with meditate or meikyo up but if i'm wrong you could always add the condition that the next step must be caused by a different player to encourage party play.

...Maybe would need some extra condition to prevent support melee only parties, for example only works if either only songs, rolls or geomancy is active and as soon as two of them are active the triple (=3kTP) tier doesn't work, if three are active the double (>2kTP) tier doesn't either?
[+]
By Dodik 2023-09-22 05:51:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Theory crafting whole scale changes to the battle system with zero developers on board is pointless.

Best to hope for is some relaxation of the difficulty curve for obtaining, say, Odyssey R30 items.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2023-09-22 08:48:03
Link | Quote | Reply

They should really take debuff geomancy and just throw it away. They have to nerf it aggressively to retain even a semblance of balance any time there is something that is supposed to be hard.

Just get rid of it entirely and give GEO the other half of a job that it is missing. Give it fencer for the deeps. Make it so concentric pulse doesn't blow up your luopan and continues to activate for an extended duration like agon halos. Same idea with radial arcana/mending halation so you have heals with a large effect at activation and a smaller regen/refresh over time.

The only caveat I have is that Luopans should always have Geo-Gravity effect that increases in potency with BoG or Bolster. Mostly for QoL and tactical wonkiness when things need cheese.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-09-22 08:52:12
Link | Quote | Reply

The fact that geo has to be altered for every instance is another clear highlight of the poor design throughout.
[+]
 Asura.Splendid
user: BlindLis
By Asura.Splendid 2023-09-22 09:53:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Felgarr said: »

SE could fix that, by giving every other DD job a single, party-wide, 4-5 minute buff (or debuff).

They could. But then you run the risk of every job feeling the same if they were too aggressive with that approach. I mean, look at XIV. Many jobs feel homogenized, and because that game is so rotation focused many jobs also feel the same.

The biggest problem XI has is one job usually becomes the central focus of a party. In order for a WAR or a SAM to be paradigm shifting it almost always requires the holy trinity of BRD GEO COR. And of course, everyone else not interrupting their skillchains. I would venture to say most jobs benefit from getting tailored buffs. At the end of the day, I think jobs like WAR or SAM suck just as much as any other job when they cease to be the central focus of a six man party. Which leads back to XI’s other problem—most of the current “relevant” content is six man.

The great thing about Sortie is that it does require some manner of synergy between multiple jobs to be successful at it. At least it isn’t like doing a segment farm. Watching two big dog DDs Savage Blade all the things (for the most part) for half an hour isn’t interesting content. I suppose we play it that way, however, because of how SE designed it. 30 minutes isn’t exactly a long time.

Sortie and Odyssey should both have a Walk of Echoes “community” type of zone that allows some sort of progression for people without statics. Something that gave exemplar points, RP, muffins, stones, and old cases.
[+]
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2023-09-22 10:07:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
I think the ffxi communities answer to joboftheday buff would be bringing a alt because why benefit a random person that maybe doesn't even carry their weight if you could simply benefit more yourself.

It'd have to be balanced in such a way that the player would need to contribute enough to still perform well. Make it so that the bonus is small enough that one person not participating still results in an inefficient run if they don't participate well. This would still penalize jobs like SMN, PUP, and BLM, but might open up opportunities to use BST, DNC, THF, RNG, BLU, and MNK, jobs which I've had good runs with on several occasions but are typically viewed as less valued or have a higher skill ceiling to pull off. The game has such an innovative and interesting job selection, I think they could do more to encourage using it.

All that said, I don't really know how big of a deal this would be now anyway. IMO segment farming has become considerably easier and more streamlined than it was 2 years ago, bad runs are a rarity and on average even with mediocre PUGs you get 10k. I think this would've had more value a year or two ago than it would now, but it still might open opportunities to use these jobs in more mundane content and shake it up a little bit.

The same could apply to Sortie, as well.
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11