First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18 ... 47 48 49
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-01-24 12:44:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
More likely a system to forces you to do everything lost during the years as an artificial way to keep you busy while they (SE) release nothing.

It is annoyingly effective at this (though not really, it lacks motivation other than satisfying the need for completionists)

Just like putting a vorseal on chocobo racing. Yeah I know it's there. I don't care if I never get it. The attack+ vorseal carrot isn't juicy enough. If it were the rare enemy seal that might've worked. Or brews were enhanced via 100% completion etc
By Shichishito 2021-01-24 12:47:31
Link | Quote | Reply

ok but what is the hook? there is currently no reward for a higher rank, right? it is not even known what exactly you have to do to level it up or we wouldn't have this thread.
do you suspect there will be future rewards locked behind a certain mastery rank? what is the purpose of this system?
the only use i could currently see is to counter the "REMA only" mentality and help party builders judge wether or not someone will suffice for the target content.
By Pantafernando 2021-01-24 12:49:19
Link | Quote | Reply

The main problem with this is those huge steps, imo.

They should have added more smaller steps. Like, instead going from 1 to 8, could be 1 to 80, and made more palpable each step.

If people cant see the reward at the end of the road, its not unlikely they lose motivation.

Having not explicit evaluation also makes more obscure to keep track of progresses.
By Pantafernando 2021-01-24 12:50:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
ok but what is the hook? there is currently no reward for a higher rank, right? it is not even known what exactly you have to do to level it up or we wouldn't have this thread.
do you suspect there will be future rewards locked behind a certain mastery rank? what is the purpose of this system?
the only use i could currently see is to counter the "REMA only" mentality and help party builders judge wether or not someone will suffice for the target content.

I believe at start is just to give an objective measure of your game completion.

Extra rewards can easily be implemented, but so far, its just for self satisfacion.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-01-24 12:51:05
Link | Quote | Reply

It's just an ingame checklist to tell you you're better than everyone lower than you (and the aforementioned motivator to get you to do "oldshit")

It has no functional purpose. (muting chatters in one unused channel)

The main problem with this is those huge steps, imo.

They should have added more smaller steps.

Would've been nice. Whatever it ends up being is a "TON of ***" per rank. Another one of Squares large failings. Failing to understand that shown progress is the best motivator. Merely going from 6>7 by "doing a bunch of ***" isn't as motivating as going 60>61 with visible progress acknowledgement.
By Chaplin 2021-01-24 12:53:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Never understood the amount of effort people put into proving they’re superior to ransoms in an 18 year old MMO.
By Pantafernando 2021-01-24 12:54:23
Link | Quote | Reply

And i dont think it will affect the said REMA mentality.

This is more a thing on Assura tbf, as most other servers if they can get anyone that would be a profit by itself imo.

But REMA is a measure focused on battle parameters while mastery rank adds too much battle unrelated stuff. Choosing a player based on mastery rank is pretty silly, it would just consider if people do mog gardens, do old junk abyssea, monstrosity, etc.
By Pantafernando 2021-01-24 12:59:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Chaplin said: »
Never understood the amount of effort people put into proving they’re superior to ransoms in an 18 year old MMO.

Well, its a human characteristic, not something specifically related to FFXI.

Its normal people have pride, ambitions, goals, despite how silly its as its pretty much subjective.

Some people wants to ride the latest Ferrari. Or to walk with his hot girlfriend. Or just want to see their mastery rank increase.

to each their own
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-01-24 13:00:02
Link | Quote | Reply

In theory you should all be rank 7(8) because you all did everything and you're always complaining there's nothing to do.

This exposed those people as the liars they are. How can there be "nothing to do" mr. rank 6, seems as though you're missing a few somethings there.
(And yes, I am aware that "nothing to do" is not "nothing worth doing")
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-01-24 13:07:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Some people wants to ride the latest Ferrari. Or to walk with his hot girlfriend. Or just want to see their mastery rank increase.

to each their own

wait- SE's giving away Ferraris for Mastery Rank?
By Shichishito 2021-01-24 13:16:26
Link | Quote | Reply

are those ranks character specific or do they carry over to other chars on the same account?
By Pantafernando 2021-01-24 13:49:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Individual ranks per char, not account.

(dont give SE bad ideas)
 Lakshmi.Avereith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2021-01-24 14:44:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Until I rank up to 7 from 6, I'm going to believe there is some very specific and stupid requirement that I haven't met (ex: finish the crawlers nest map quest with all the monuments, etc or something as exceedingly long and useless) that it's locked behind, because I have completed a ***load of new stuff since starting to explore all of this.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-01-24 14:48:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Avereith said: »
I have completed a ***load of new stuff since starting to explore all of this.

All of the "this" right here. "A shitload" is becoming an understatement.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-01-24 14:51:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Honest question here- is all the desire to figure this out simply because SE dropped a carrot in front of us or is there some benefit to capping Mastery Rank?
 Lakshmi.Avereith
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2021-01-24 14:55:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Just a puzzle for puzzles sake. My nature to want to figure it out is all
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-01-24 15:03:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Unfortunately this puzzle is more like a pool. Just keep throwing every damned thing you can find into it, until you hit the water level requirement.

"Does this count" *throws it in*

Maybe? *shrug* Filling an Olympic size pool with pennies.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Avereith
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2021-01-24 22:48:47
Link | Quote | Reply

my next goal is going to be more RoEs via the nm kill ones under combat(region). Ignoring the ones that are still stupidly always down on my server for some reason (king arthro, simurgh, etc)
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-01-24 23:12:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Spent all last week bitching about whichever douchenozzle keeps killing KA. Got the whole region kill done though.
 Lakshmi.Avereith
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2021-01-24 23:43:20
Link | Quote | Reply

There are 3 people camping the valk emperor right now on lakshmi

is this real life

edit: Yoooo, mog tablet was on the hill in south gusta while going for carnero kill. only the second time i've ever found one of those. But blah, gave one of the shitty rewards not a cool one.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-01-24 23:46:02
Link | Quote | Reply

<Team up?>
[+]
By Chaplin 2021-01-25 07:34:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Honest question here- is all the desire to figure this out simply because SE dropped a carrot in front of us or is there some benefit to capping Mastery Rank?

I still maintain that it’s just another way for people to brag about being good at an 18 year old game. Since my return, I’ve seen people who took 15 years to get good bragging about their accolades. This just gives them something else.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Blackada
user: logsrus
By Lakshmi.Blackada 2021-01-25 09:57:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Blackada said: »
Asura.Eiryl said: »
Crafts is probably really close though; I'm at 400 total craft skill and not there yet.... you're at 477. IF just crafting ranks up, try for 500.
Total crafting skills is 790 so probably needs to be at least 500-550. (skills gave rank +1 "low")((it could also be all crafts 50 and not total skill))

I got it to

Synthesis Skill / Fishing Skill. 104 70 53 10 10 17 40 10 80 / 110

which is 504 levels, no Rank-up

Update:
Synthesis Skill / Fishing Skill. 104 70 53 40 40 40 40 40 80 / 110

617 levels - No Rank-up
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-01-25 10:19:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah. I've more or less concluded that while each of those categories count, they count as a whole.

There is no "crafting rank +1" but some level of crafting is required (absolutely zero clue how when or what though)

I got rank 2 with all zeros.
I got rank 3 having 1 110 and all the rest zeros.
All capped but fish and synergy and still locked in 3.

It's still looking like rotz and cop are the hard barrier to rank 2 (do them AND some amount of "points from categories") that's today's test. I've definitely got enough combat skill but no cop.... so if I finish dawn and instantly rank again I've got solid evidence.
 Asura.Tawhoya
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2021-01-25 10:54:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm currently rank 5 and my highest skill is 25 alchemy and 9 fishing for a wopping 34 total. I may be gated from rank6 w/o it, but you can at least get to rank 5.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-01-25 10:57:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Tawhoya said: »
I'm currently rank 5 and my highest skill is 25 alchemy and 9 fishing for a wopping 34 total. I may be gated from rank6 w/o it, but you can at least get to rank 5.

It's like skill+1 = 1 Point and it takes a shitload of said points.

For you to be rank 5 with so few "points" toward crafting, you must have many "points" in other stuff.

Like..... thousands of said "points" (which makes sense, there are a thousand quests a thousand missions 800 craft skill 10,000 skill up points etc) ...and they can't be weighted equally... it takes 5 seconds to raise a combat skill from 0>1 but an hour to do a mission.
 Asura.Tawhoya
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2021-01-25 11:25:57
Link | Quote | Reply

So it could be thresholds that bar rank up such as:

1k points = rank 1 if X missions are done
2k points = rank 2 if rank1 and X quests are done
3k points = rank 3 if rank 2 and X Combat skill
4k points = rank 4 if rank 3 and X trust
5k points = rank 5 if rank 4 and X battle content
6k points = rank 6 if rank 5 and X crafting
7k points = rank 7 if rank 6 and X non-battle content
8-10k points = rank 8 if rank 7 and X days played

Or maybe days played also gate certain ranks. rank 2 if requirements met + 10 days played, etc...
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-01-25 11:30:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Some convoluted thing like that, yeah

That's what we're (I'm) trying to figure out
 Sylph.Brahmsz
Server: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2021-01-25 13:16:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I had a couple thoughts I wanted to share:

1) On Crafting Skill, I have a feeling based on data provided thus far that having 110 skill in main craft is more important than say combined skill points.
1a) This may or may not preclude having a Crafting Shield or at the very least having the starting Crafting Shield KI to to start the questline.
1b) This isn't to say combined Skill isn't a prereq. However I remember you mentioning one mule with the 110 skill DID rank up before others.

2) Given my limited playtime, I've settled on HNM camping since I'm working from home and can tab over every hour or so. Current focus being the original 3 Beastmen Kings. Killed 2/3 with a few others between such as Cemetery Cherry, Tiamat, & Xolotl.

Will report back with results in a few days (I hope).
 Lakshmi.Avereith
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2021-01-25 14:14:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Brahmsz said: »
2) Given my limited playtime, I've settled on HNM camping since I'm working from home and can tab over every hour or so. Current focus being the original 3 Beastmen Kings. Killed 2/3 with a few others between such as Cemetery Cherry, Tiamat, & Xolotl.
Yeah I thought about getting titles for stuff I never killed... but so far everything I check is always locked down and still killed on lakshmi, ha
First Page 2 3 ... 16 17 18 ... 47 48 49