SMN Viable W/out Gearswaps?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Summoner » SMN viable w/out gearswaps?
SMN viable w/out gearswaps?
By Tarage 2019-10-25 00:30:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Anoq said: »
Gotten some SMN pieces over the years, and finally motivated myself to get over 100JP on the job. Is it worth playing if I don't use gearswap? Not aiming to be a top tier SMN by any means, but would like to have it be at least useful. Appreciate any feedback.

No.
By SimonSes 2019-10-25 01:00:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Inspectorgadget said: »
well "half your ls" is either lying through their goddamn teeth or you're heavily exaggerating your linkshell's accomplishments.

Lol.. Im not sure how many players exactly are still vanilla in Inquisition and how many were in past few years, but for sure none is lying. Lex can tell you more about it if he wants.

Only because you cant play without gearswap doesnt mean other people cant too. Would gear swap boost they performence? Probably yes, but they dont need it to be viable on any job.

Even using logic. What gs gives you over vanilla? You need to click less macros and thats it.

Its like mouse+keyboard players talking about you cant play fps on console controler, but then you see what pro players do on controler and your jaw drops. Sure mouse+keyboard is still better when player at highest lvl, but controler is for sure viable as well.

Arent you playing with ja0wait or whatever its called? Will you tell me soon that any dps job isnt viable without this addon too?
 Shiva.Anoq
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Lawson
By Shiva.Anoq 2019-10-25 01:01:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
No job is viable without gearswap.

Yeah I hear this a lot, but I do okay with out it. Usually only finish 1-3% behind people similarly geared who use it on parse. IS it a difference? Yes, for sure.

Edit: Btw, if you are consistently behind GS users on the same job with the same gear by 1%-3% in every situation you may need to look into it. It's probably not because of your choice of using equipset, but because you are doing 1 or 2 things less than another guy.

I try to stay away from jobs where it's "mandatory",

I can't think of any job that needs GS. Not even mage jobs which many people claim GS or bust.

Mainly RNG and COR with pre/mid shot stuff not working w/out gearswap, although I do ok on COR thus far. As for the behind a similar user by 1-3%, I think I have it figured out and have pulled ahead by +5% lately. We'll see if I can maintain it. Thanks again EVERYONE for your input. Makes me feel a bit better about not using it.
 Bahamut.Lexouritis
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Lexouritis 2019-10-25 01:27:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Mainly RNG and COR with pre/mid shot stuff not working w/out gearswap, although I do ok on COR thus far. As for the behind a similar user by 1-3%, I think I have it figured out and have pulled ahead by +5% lately. We'll see if I can maintain it. Thanks again EVERYONE for your input. Makes me feel a bit better about not using it.

It works, u just have to hit 2 macros to cap out at 70%. I Just hit one and stay at 67% i think.

/equip slot
/equip slot
/equip slot
/equip slot
/ra <t>
/equipset xx (midshot)
[+]
 Bahamut.Lexouritis
By Bahamut.Lexouritis 2019-10-25 01:31:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Gotten some SMN pieces over the years, and finally motivated myself to get over 100JP on the job. Is it worth playing if I don't use gearswap? Not aiming to be a top tier SMN by any means, but would like to have it be at least useful. Appreciate any feedback.

You can play any job without GS. SMN would probably be one of (if not the easiest to play) without GS. Vanilla gearswap inputs are usually a bit faster than equipset/macro inputs but hardly necessary to do anything in this game. In fact they are completely unnecessary. There are videos on the webs to prove this point. Will it make u 'better?' Probably. Do you need it to be A or S tier? Nope. If you suck at the game (generic statement not directed at any individuals)or don't know your job will GS fix it for you? Hell nope.

I will say though, /wait 1 is ***. It's about time SE did something about this.
[+]
By Tarage 2019-10-25 02:31:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Use Gearswap. If you don't you're doing it wrong. Plenty of folks have made generic ones you can use, and others are here to help you with it. You really don't have an excuse anymore.
[+]
By SimonSes 2019-10-25 03:36:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Tarage said: »
Use Gearswap. If you don't you're doing it wrong. Plenty of folks have made generic ones you can use, and others are here to help you with it. You really don't have an excuse anymore.

Ahahahaha you are like those crazy people who want to force people to be happy by their standards and completely dont understand that people dont want that. You cant understand that some people prefer vanilla ffxi or simply doesnt care to optimize their gane further through addons because they feel no pressure about this game? Lex is leader of one of the most accomplished linkshell in ffxi. He plays tank, melee dd and blm. He probably have done everything from end game content fights in this game beside some crazy solo. Why would he need to start using gs? Because you say so? Dont be silly.

Oh btw I use gs myself, but I would never even think about saying to people that they also need to use it to be competent players.
[+]
By Tarage 2019-10-25 04:02:33
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Ahahahaha you are like those crazy people who want to force people to be happy by their standards and completely dont understand that people dont want that.

No, I'm a realist. If you don't use GS your SMN won't have enough damage output to justify taking it over a GS SMN. Let's say your avatar dies mid conduit. I can resummon my avatar and get in at least one BP faster than someone who does not use GS. You can play the game without GS, but you aren't going to be as useful as someone who does use it. That's a fact that won't ever be refutable.

Being competent and using GS are two very separate things, but both combined contribute to how successful you can be.

Being a LS leader doesn't mean you are the best person in a shell. It only means you're willing to put up with the *** of being leader.
By SimonSes 2019-10-25 04:16:12
Link | Quote | Reply

No, I'm a realist. If you don't use GS your SMN won't have enough damage output to justify taking it over a GS SMN. Let's say your avatar dies mid conduit. I can resummon my avatar and get in at least one BP faster than someone who does not use GS

Lol what? Who blocks you from crearing an ingame macro that resummon your avatar with fast cast gear. Its super simple. If anything its easiesr to do without gs, because you dont need to do //gs disable all for conduit if you want to avoid bad equip changes even with minimal lag. With vanilla you can simply make a macro to wear bp gear and separate macro to fire bp and keep using bp without changing your gear, then if your avatar dies you hit a macro to resummon with fc gear, then hit a macro to switch to bp gear and keep doing bp. With gs you would need to enable all to resummon avatar and disbale all again after first bp or whatever your gs handles that. The point is its super easy to do with normal macros.
By Vankathka 2019-10-25 04:17:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Stupid statement, recasting an Avatar is not the same as 80% FC Magic not swapping properly, it is trivial to cap FC/QC and resummon assault > equipset whatever > BP before your Avatar is in range with or without gearswap.
 Bahamut.Suph
user: Suph
By Bahamut.Suph 2019-10-25 04:22:19
Link | Quote | Reply

well "half your ls" is either lying through their goddamn teeth or you're heavily exaggerating your linkshell's accomplishments.

I'm sorry Dreadnaught can't accomplish anything without "conveniencing" the game with 3rd party program up the wazoo, making it inconceivable for you that other could.

And I understand your LS obsession with Lex. If Inquisition had an open door policy, Dreadnaught wouldn't have enough Inquisition rejects to exist.

But isn't it time you become your own LS? I mean isnt it getting old for your members to make a /heal circle around Lex to show off whatever new gear you get from years old content, like an irradiance blade? Or for your leader to make an InquAsition LS? Or when Shozokui beg me not to tell Lex on your progress with Aeonic?

Like stop pretending you're anywhere near Bahamut's top tier LSes' level and assuming that they must all be using 3rd party tools to "convenience" the game like you do. Maybe just embrace your LS as the Relentless Progression with Indomitable 3rd Party tools LS? We probably have a niche for that on Bahamut
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By SimonSes 2019-10-25 05:04:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Jdove said: »
And wtf is lex?

I can tell you one thing. You would be a poor detective :D
 Bahamut.Lexouritis
By Bahamut.Lexouritis 2019-10-25 06:09:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Errrr......without getting into too much detail... and this thread becoming something....well something else.

Bahamut.Suph said: »
I'm sorry Dreadnaught can't accomplish anything without "conveniencing" the game with 3rd party program up the wazoo, making it inconceivable for you that other could.

There is a very strong group of players in Dreadnaught that is pretty well accomplished, that I'm sure does not need to or use 'exotic or beyond simple GS' to beat high end stuff in this game. Yes there is a large group in inquisition that is vanilla, very large, but not all of these players are supreme at the game. I know of a few players in Dread who are also vanilla and do very well. I DON"T KNOW many of their members on a personal basis so there could be a lot of vanillas there too. tl;dr every LS has many members who use GS, and i'm sure NO Ls is immune from having members who use automation or stupid exotic ***. We don't allow the exotic ***at events, or around us anyways. People get three strikes if they are caught and it's /breakliknshell. From my recent discussions with Shozo, I'm sure Dread leadership promotes the same mentality.

If Inquisition had an open door policy, Dreadnaught wouldn't have enough Inquisition rejects to exist.
They would exist, they might have a handful less members since we were full, so they joined another good LS on Bahamut. (DN or TnT or OM etc))

But isn't it time you become your own LS? I mean isnt it getting old for your members to make a /heal circle around Lex to show off whatever new gear you get from years old content, like an irradiance blade? Or for your leader to make an InquAsition LS?

Me and Shozo discussed this and squashed it, it stemmed from a conversation years back where we both misunderstood each other. It's actually kind of funny how our competitive nature got the best of us. Not going into details, Jdove might get an erection.

Like stop pretending you're anywhere near Bahamut's top tier LSes' level
Dread on the whole is a good Ls, and has a good group of very strong players, as I stated above. I respect their leaderships knowledge of the game and their accomplishments.

3rd party tools to "convenience" the game like you do.
Sounds like you saw something that maybe you should bring to Shozo's attention.
[+]
 Bahamut.Inspectorgadget
By Bahamut.Inspectorgadget 2019-10-25 06:40:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol.. Im not sure how many players exactly are still vanilla in Inquisition and how many were in past few years, but for sure none is lying. Lex can tell you more about it if he wants.

Only because you cant play without gearswap doesnt mean other people cant too. Would gear swap boost they performence? Probably yes, but they dont need it to be viable on any job.

Even using logic. What gs gives you over vanilla? You need to click less macros and thats it.

Its like mouse+keyboard players talking about you cant play fps on console controler, but then you see what pro players do on controler and your jaw drops. Sure mouse+keyboard is still better when player at highest lvl, but controler is for sure viable as well.

Arent you playing with ja0wait or whatever its called? Will you tell me soon that any dps job isnt viable without this addon too?

And I understand your LS obsession with Lex. If Inquisition had an open door policy, Dreadnaught wouldn't have enough Inquisition rejects to exist.

But isn't it time you become your own LS? I mean isnt it getting old for your members to make a /heal circle around Lex to show off whatever new gear you get from years old content, like an irradiance blade? Or for your leader to make an InquAsition LS? Or when Shozokui beg me not to tell Lex on your progress with Aeonic?

Like stop pretending you're anywhere near Bahamut's top tier LSes' level and assuming that they must all be using 3rd party tools to "convenience" the game like you do. Maybe just embrace your LS as the Relentless Progression with Indomitable 3rd Party tools LS? We probably have a niche for that on Bahamut

You are both full of ***and you know it. Denying it isn't going to get you any gold stars on a forum on the internet, so stop trying to play the whole "we play on ps2 lol" card, it didn't work 15 years ago and still doesn't now.
By SimonSes 2019-10-25 06:49:35
Link | Quote | Reply

You (and Lex, and by extention the rest of Inquisition) is full of ***and you know it. Denying it isn't going to get you any gold stars on a forum on the internet, so stop trying to play the whole "we play on ps2 lol" card, it didn't work 15 years ago and still doesn't now.

Lol why would you attack me or Lex now? I simply stated that while gearswap provides benefits over vanilla, it's definitely not needed for anything in this game. No addon is required for any end game activity in this game and its proven by many people including Lex (not me, I use gs). There was literally nothign offensive in my post. I was simply disagreeing on 3rd party tools being required for anything. Take a chill pill maybe.
[+]
 Bahamut.Inspectorgadget
By Bahamut.Inspectorgadget 2019-10-25 07:10:04
Link | Quote | Reply

You (and Lex, and by extention the rest of Inquisition) is full of ***and you know it. Denying it isn't going to get you any gold stars on a forum on the internet, so stop trying to play the whole "we play on ps2 lol" card, it didn't work 15 years ago and still doesn't now.

Lol why would you attack me or Lex now? I simply stated that while gearswap provides benefits over vanilla, it's definitely not needed for anything in this game. No addon is required for any end game activity in this game and its proven by many people including Lex (not me, I use gs). There was literally nothign offensive in my post. I was simply disagreeing on 3rd party tools being required for anything. Take a chill pill maybe.

It wasn't right for me to bring Lex into it, which is why I edited the post. I confused him for someone else from earlier in the thread.

But my point still stands. Stop pretending you or anyone else in your ls "plays vanilla". The ones that claim they do, usually don't.
 Bahamut.Xiutaru
user: etherue
By Bahamut.Xiutaru 2019-10-25 07:16:34
Link | Quote | Reply

But my point still stands. Stop pretending you or anyone else in your ls "plays vanilla". The ones that claim they do, usually don't.
Lex is seriously vanilla. Guy boxes with two laptops. The second one is usually on a laptop cart where we toss the controller at each other when the other is too busy to redo something like a GEO bubble.

It's also not half the ls as Bani said, but it's still quite a bit.

I'm not vanilla, simply so we can have my alt online. A fourth laptop for this game in this house would be silly. But I still use equipsets.

And we're also not pushing the "we play on ps2 lol" card. If someone doesn't want to use gearswap, then they don't have to. As plenty others have said, you can still be viable using equipsets.

Set #__ equipped shows up in log when using "/equipset ## echo" in macros. It's seen throughout both videos, one on BRD, one on WHM. Leave out the echo and you won't see it. I didn't put it in every macro, but I still put it in some to reassure me that my equipsets are properly equipping.

On BRD:
https://youtu.be/gVRzvUHsJuM?t=2564
Near 43:10ish, you'll see me going into my macro and you'll see the /equipset line as well as the <wait 1>

Scrolling through your macros will slow you down and not always having fast cast in your casts will slow you down, but doesn't make jobs not "viable." And you will definitely end up with a lot of macros. I have nearly every BRD song macro'd, and a second version of some of them (for when under NT) to not get stuck in the wrong set. I have one threnody macro that I'm always changing depending on what we're fighting. I have two under-NT-specific etude and two under-NT-specific carol macros which I edit constantly.

On WHM:
https://youtu.be/ez7hx_p-Eh8?t=88

Gearswap isn't needed, and equipsets are fine. Just need a lot of macros, a lot of remembering where said macros are, and knowing how to use those 6 lines in the macros wisely.
[+]
 Asura.Shiraj
Server: Asura
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-10-25 07:16:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ahahahaha you are like those crazy people who want to force people to be happy by their standards and completely dont understand that people dont want that.

No, I'm a realist. If you don't use GS your SMN won't have enough damage output to justify taking it over a GS SMN. Let's say your avatar dies mid conduit. I can resummon my avatar and get in at least one BP faster than someone who does not use GS. You can play the game without GS, but you aren't going to be as useful as someone who does use it. That's a fact that won't ever be refutable.

Being competent and using GS are two very separate things, but both combined contribute to how successful you can be.

Being a LS leader doesn't mean you are the best person in a shell. It only means you're willing to put up with the *** of being leader.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Thanks for the read lol.

Avallon and Kinggalka. That's all you should know.
Both don't use gearswap and still have some of the best damage output on smn very similar to Pergatory who is one of Asura's top Smn.

This just makes it look like you don't know how equipsets work and no GS makes you stay in 1 set...
[+]
 Bahamut.Lexouritis
By Bahamut.Lexouritis 2019-10-25 07:19:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh a lot in here do bro, most of our best players do not though, play vanilla. But there is a decent sized group of really OP players that I know for a fact are vanilla (Suph is included in this group). No it's not half anymore, but it was about half maybe 2 years ago. I think it's about 15 or so active players out of 40ish? In any case none of this really matters tbh.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-10-25 07:21:14
Link | Quote | Reply

And yeah, gearswap is nice to have. I genuinely preferred vanilla as it was less hassle to learn. But I prefer to play menu based most of the time, depending on what job I play. And to do thay I don't switch gear without gearswap so was forced to use it.

These guys make me look smart, holy ***. Just accept the fact nothing requires gearswap, 3rd party tools, addons cos this is getting depression to read.

Nothing hut props to people who stuck to vanilla though, Wish I done the same, but menuing man. Its too good.
[+]
By SimonSes 2019-10-25 07:25:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I havent stated once that I play vanilla. I stated I play with gs several times on the other hand, so not sure why you are confused about it. Many people in Inquisition play vanilla and I mentioned them as an example that you can do any end game activity successfully in this game without any 3rd party tools. I don' really care if you believe they play vanilla or not tho, because it was more an example for people who are afraid that they need gs to play in end game. Gs helps, but its not required.

Also going back to this thread. SMN is the job that barely have any benefits from gearswap (mostly QoL) and it was shocking to me that someone even mentioned conduit zergs, because its even easier to conduit zerg without GS, then with GS.
[+]
 Asura.Topace
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2019-10-25 07:27:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Jesus Christ what is this thread... No job requires gear swap is it nice to have sure... is it mandatory no...

Y’all I’m here arguing over the dumbest ***i swear. This is final fantasy not a shooter game. It doesn’t take much mechanical or strategic skill to be good at the game.
[+]
 Bahamut.Inspectorgadget
By Bahamut.Inspectorgadget 2019-10-25 07:28:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess part of it is just the solo'er in me talking. In group content one person using or not using Gearswap wouldn't make a damn bit of difference in the long run. But there are things that would be just about impossible to solo if it weren't for GS assisting in the background.
[+]
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-10-25 07:29:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually remember Xuitaru on WHM, a job which is rather hard to play well on equipsets. They were doing Unafraid of the Dark 5 man mercing and smashed the world record timer. They recorded whole thing and it's pretty obvious it's not gearswapped. Just accept the fact people play old school, nothing wrong with it. I would hope no one cares, but you know.
[+]
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-10-25 07:31:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess part of it is just the solo'er in me talking. In group content one person using or not using Gearswap wouldn't make a damn bit of difference in the long run. But there are things that would be just about impossible to solo if it weren't for GS assisting in the background.

Not really. Out of everything I've soloed, which is a lot, little humble brag unintentionally, nothing required gearswap.

There are ways for it all my guy.
 Bahamut.Lexouritis
By Bahamut.Lexouritis 2019-10-25 07:37:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh no doubt, GS def helps in many situations, in a few situations i'd say it can be detrimental (not as many as it would help). I guess this is why some GS users lock sets or gears for certain ***. But 100% it's not needed to beat anything. I mean that's just a fact. If you consider just the JP players, who on the majority are nazi as *** about NOT using add ons. They probably feel more strongly against them than I do. (for me it's just personal preference, I started on ps2 then moved to xbox) never needed back then, so when i switched to PC, i was already comfortable playing with out it. Mostly old *** like me and our JP members :P

And like for our top top players like Mischief, Wesley and Piko (to name a few), yeah they use GS, but i'm pretty sure going vanilla would not cripple them. They are just that good.

On a separate note, we probably gonna make Anoq quit SMN :P
[+]
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-10-25 07:41:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Saying it helps is perfectly fine imo dude.
But saying something is "impossible" without gearswap is just plain dumb. I used to think Iroha was so foking hard, I got proven otherwise. Now this game is like easy as hell, nothing hard about it, FFXI devs would not create something which required even 1 person to use 3rd party programs. That's just HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
[+]