SMN Viable W/out Gearswaps?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Summoner » SMN viable w/out gearswaps?
SMN viable w/out gearswaps?
 Bahamut.Inspectorgadget
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Inspectorgadget 2019-10-25 07:42:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Another thing a lot of people fail to mention is to get the most out of Gearswap, you really have to know luacore and how it works. Simply downloading someone else's lua and copypasting your own gearsets into it isn't enough. What if something breaks and you don't know how to fix it or what's causing it? Even if you aren't getting any error messages something as simple as a misspelled piece of gear can mess a lot of things up.

It really isn't for everyone and I can understand why people don't use it.
 Asura.Shiraj
Server: Asura
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-10-25 07:43:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Lexouritis said: »
And like for our top top players like Mischief, Wesley and Piko (to name a few), yeah they use GS, but i'm pretty sure going vanilla would not cripple them. They are just that good.

I'm positive Mischief went Gearswap for the same reason I did.
I've seen his videos and he loves menuing lol. You just cannot menu with macros/equipsets unfortunately.
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-10-25 07:47:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Inspectorgadget said: »
Another thing a lot of people fail to mention is to get the most out of Gearswap, you really have to know luacore and how it works. Simply downloading someone else's lua and copypasting your own gearsets into it isn't enough. What if something breaks and you don't know how to fix it or what's causing it? Even if you aren't getting any error messages something as simple as a misspelled piece of gear can mess a lot of things up.

Seriously?
I was the most uneducated person ever about lua and any 3rd party addons. It took me no time at all to learn it.
Sure I can't create a full lua script like Selindrile, but I know how to write my own based on Motes and fix any issue that comes with it.
Takes no time at all cos it's literally reading from an error line that's generated.

It becomes common sense to end every gearset with a },
or include names in " " when putting them in.

The problems with people and gearswap comes with automation. Everyone tries to run automation in their gearswap and can't fix it. That's their problem. Stop trying to be lazy.
[+]
 Bahamut.Lexouritis
By Bahamut.Lexouritis 2019-10-25 08:06:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Kinda why Xiu doesn't use it, if i ever made the switch (which i won't lol) SHE would have to edit my ***. I'm computer illiterate in terms of I have 0% programming skills. She's already said she won't deal with that.
[+]
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-10-25 08:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Kinda why Xiu doesn't use it, if i ever made the switch (which i won't lol) SHE would have to edit my ***. I'm computer illiterate in terms of I have 0% programming skills. She's already said she won't deal with that.

Honestly dude, editing lua is even more simple than programming... So no matter how computer illiterate you may be lol, you'll be fine, as long as you avoid the automation inside of a lua, that's the only time it gets complicated.
 Bahamut.Xiutaru
user: etherue
By Bahamut.Xiutaru 2019-10-25 08:18:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Have a conversation with Lex in the game, see all his typos, and imagine the lua.
[+]
By Wotasu 2019-10-25 08:34:02
Link | Quote | Reply

//gs export makes it so much eaiser, tho sometimes you miss the odd ) } or ,
By Jetackuu 2019-10-25 12:36:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I have 0% programming skills

Good thing it's scripting, not programming.

/conduits Lex
By Shichishito 2019-10-25 13:29:12
Link | Quote | Reply

the best reason to go for a SMN.lua preset from github are the pactype rules that only call the pacts for the avatar that you've currently got active.

you can do about 95% you'd ever want to do with a SMN with just 2 sets of cntrl/alt macro bars. you'd only ever need more if you use subjob spells/abilities or decide to melee with the avatar.

calling the correct elemental for siphon with a single macro is comfortable, too.

its mostly a convenience gain for both ingame and editing your gearsets in notepad++, the trade off is to spend some time understanding how to edit the script.
if you limit yourself to just use a template from github and edit in your own gear the learning curve isn't very steep either.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Afania 2019-10-25 19:24:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Anoq said: »
Afania said: »
No job is viable without gearswap.

Yeah I hear this a lot, but I do okay with out it. Usually only finish 1-3% behind people similarly geared who use it on parse. IS it a difference? Yes, for sure.

Edit: Btw, if you are consistently behind GS users on the same job with the same gear by 1%-3% in every situation you may need to look into it. It's probably not because of your choice of using equipset, but because you are doing 1 or 2 things less than another guy.

I try to stay away from jobs where it's "mandatory",

I can't think of any job that needs GS. Not even mage jobs which many people claim GS or bust.

Mainly RNG and COR with pre/mid shot stuff not working w/out gearswap, although I do ok on COR thus far. As for the behind a similar user by 1-3%, I think I have it figured out and have pulled ahead by +5% lately. We'll see if I can maintain it. Thanks again EVERYONE for your input. Makes me feel a bit better about not using it.

Preshot works without GS, as Lex already posted how to create macro for it. Also on cor ranged attack mode is much harder to play well than melee mode. And it's not because of equipset suck, as most GS user that I've seen also plays Ranged mode wrong.

1) check your /Ra <t> timing. You need to click next shot before your last ranged attack or ws animation finish. If you wait until animation finish then it will be a tad slower than another guy who doesn't wait.

2) Also check how you use Triple shot. Having TS up as often as possible is crucial for COR ranged output since cor is 2x stronger with JA up.

Always save your random deal for TS and always keep 2 JA on recast to maximize your chance of getting TS reset.

I've seen tons of ranged cor in ambu who would roll, try to push for No.11, bust then use random deal to reset PR to roll again. So by the time they start shooting they are random deals less and their TS last 1.5 min max. When it should be 3 min if they didn't waste RD.

Some other people would use berserk AND warcry and have 4 JA on recast instead of just 2. Needless to say TS are less likely to get reset with 4 JA on recast. Cor/war should never use warcry and only use berserk if pdif is too low, or only have 1 other JA(TS) on recast.

My point is that, every job has tons of in and out that adds a big chunk of DPS, and it's not GS related at all. Most people think if their DPS is bad it's because their gear or lua is bad. But usually it's because they aren't doing enough.

Once I've done dyna farming run with equally geared lua user on the same job. In the end I parsed about 40%ish and others at range of 30%ish. Our ws avg were identical but my frequency was way higher.

And there's only one thing I did that I didn't see them do: I used a QDx2 in STP set macro every single pull on statue to give me instant 1000 TP in the beginning of a pull. When you do that for 2hrs it quickly become a pretty big gap if you get 1 more ws out in every pulls.

So yeah, definitely try to do as much as possible in a run. Which matters wayyy more than lua.
[+]