Ask The FFXI Development Team Your Questions!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Ask the FFXI development team your questions!
Ask the FFXI development team your questions!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-05-24 16:32:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, now wait, before you get *** crazy with EES remember that mobs can do it too.

EES is one of the most dangerous mob 2 hours
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2018-05-24 17:41:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
Asura.Eiryl said: »
As if they care about anything an NA player wants to know. ***is a farce. They don't even have anyone on staff to do english translation anymore.

As much as I'd love to disagree here, I can't. Knowing what Camate told me his Japanese counterpart would dismiss NA concerns before even pushing them to Matsui at times. So I guess you can at least keep trying to believe the actual Devs may care, but NA issues are blocked in the translation to get to them.

That actually makes me happy to hear. I was quite active on the OF for a while and I thought it was ridiculous what Camate (and other mods) would and wouldn't reply to.

He was always cool when he replied. I like him more knowing he was as basically as helpless as we were.

---

As to the idea of the OP: Remember this is dev team that shut down any talk of disparity between GEO and BRD til they finally double checked the math, which may well have been the first time they put Dunna or Idris in a tough fight.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2018-05-24 18:06:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, now wait, before you get *** crazy with EES remember that mobs can do it too.

If SE can make Mob Mijin absolutely OP and Player Mijin at-best laughable, then they can flip the tables for RNG and make Mob EES a new animation with a water gun and a "pewpew!" balloon over the mob's head while I whip out 2 AK-47s Tropic Thunder style.
[+]
 Leviathan.Andret
Server: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2018-05-24 18:29:12
Link | Quote | Reply

SE will make monk great again! I am sure they will. I am almost certain! Probably soon!!!.... Maybe sometime from now... I sure hope they will... Probably not holding any crazy hope....
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2018-05-24 18:46:17
Link | Quote | Reply

SE should let me post in the mnk forums again...that would make mnk great again
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2018-05-24 20:44:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I would ask (of the 2 remaining "developers"), which one is BLU and which one is SMN.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-05-24 20:44:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Negan said: »
I would ask (of the 2 remaining "developers"), which one is BLU and which one is SMN.

LOL as if they had a god damn clue how to play the game.
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2018-05-24 21:25:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Honestly, most jobs get 1 "good" 1hr and 1 "meh" 1hr, and very few get something amazing for both. BRD does with Soul Voice/Clarion Call, but by comparison COR gets Wild Card(amazing)/Cutting Cards(wut), RDM gets Chainspell(amazing)/Spontaneity(ok-ish), PLD gets Invincible/..Intervene?

Is Red Mage's second SP so forgettable that people mistake a normal JA for it? /sadface
By Afania 2018-05-24 22:23:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »
Honestly, most jobs get 1 "good" 1hr and 1 "meh" 1hr, and very few get something amazing for both. BRD does with Soul Voice/Clarion Call, but by comparison COR gets Wild Card(amazing)/Cutting Cards(wut), RDM gets Chainspell(amazing)/Spontaneity(ok-ish), PLD gets Invincible/..Intervene?

Is Red Mage's second SP so forgettable that people mistake a normal JA for it? /sadface

Stymie is 10x more useful than CS these days, lol.
By Nyarlko 2018-05-24 23:48:21
Link | Quote | Reply

There are six members on the team. The ones that we haven't seen are active players in the live game and their identities are being kept hidden to allow them to continue playing the live game w/o being harrassed by other players. XD

This is not a joke. It was in the Famitsu broadcast a few days ago.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2018-05-25 00:25:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Nyarlko said: »
There are six members on the team. The ones that we haven't seen are active players in the live game and their identities are being kept hidden to allow them to continue playing the live game w/o being harrassed by other players. XD

That is interesting! Are the ones that do the ambuscades run on patch day developers or community blahblah people?
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-05-25 00:46:10
Link | Quote | Reply

That is interesting! Are the ones that do the ambuscades run on patch day developers or community blahblah people?

Matsui, the lead director for most day to day things, is a total noob and terrible at the game. There was an interview where he had to get his son to power level him in abyssea to level up. I think he might be the guy who wipes to ambuscade each month, too...lol
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2018-05-25 00:50:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Matsui, the lead director for most day to day things, is a total noob and terrible at the game. There was an interview where he had to get his son to power level him in abyssea to level up. I think he might be the guy who wipes to ambuscade each month, too...lol
bahahah that's what I was wondering xD
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2018-05-25 00:53:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Overkill is an amazing 1hr ability, and more than makes up for EES. Now would I like to see it scaled to where our original 1hr is always going to hit for more than a solid Last Stand, definitely. If I were to change it, I'd seek the following:

1. Scale Damage up to 125%-200% current damage. (for the math challenged, saying at most double it)
2. Make it 100% ignore shadows/stoneskin/damage ignore mechanics.
3. Zero enmity.
4. have it grant 3k TP. This way I can at least WS>EES>WS for SC dmg as well.

It already ignores shadows and its enmity is already floored as low as it can go

Eiryl said:

any buffs to player EES are irrelevant to the monster version, which already lacks the aforementioned property (ignore shadows).
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-05-25 00:54:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »
As if they care about anything an NA player wants to know. ***is a farce. They don't even have anyone on staff to do english translation anymore.

As much as I'd love to disagree here, I can't. Knowing what Camate told me his Japanese counterpart would dismiss NA concerns before even pushing them to Matsui at times. So I guess you can at least keep trying to believe the actual Devs may care, but NA issues are blocked in the translation to get to them.

That actually makes me happy to hear. I was quite active on the OF for a while and I thought it was ridiculous what Camate (and other mods) would and wouldn't reply to.

He was always cool when he replied. I like him more knowing he was as basically as helpless as we were.

Yeah, that helplessness was absolutely part of why he ended up leaving. Though the main reason he left had nothing to do with SE, but he was more open to it all because of his frustration dealing with SE over his time. Camate is really awesome dude. Just wish his new job let him play with me more often.
[+]
By Nyarlko 2018-05-25 01:31:58
Link | Quote | Reply

..The characters they use in the update broadcast have their names. Matsui is whm, Fujito is WAR/dnc, but usually uses sword+shield. >_>;;
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-05-25 12:22:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I just want to know why they coded Oseem with a "Grocery list column A, B, C, D...." algorithm for determining augments. It's such a crapshoot system that is hardly a satisfying experience. Dark Matter augmenting is by far the worst augmenting to-date, as there are zero customization options. It can literally pull any augment from any table it appears, with combinations that make no logical sense.

I personally think that should be addressed to some extent, if not, just the PFT stones. Make it similar to Divainy augmenting so there is less of a random factor involved. Just would like to know why they decided to go that route with such a rare material drop for something so random.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-05-25 12:26:41
Link | Quote | Reply

..The characters they use in the update broadcast have their names. Matsui is whm, Fujito is WAR/dnc, but usually uses sword+shield. >_>;;

This I'm not surprised about in the least bit. Executive Level employees in a corporate setting barely know how their product operates or performs, they just appear on tv or in front of a camera and advertise it for the masses, appearing to show off it's "features". They pay someone else on a low level to care and manage operations, and when it's broken, they show up and say "we are looking into it" without any working understanding about what's going on (translation: fix it guys). I would not expect a video game corporation to be any different.
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2018-05-25 13:31:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Frog month was for him.
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2018-05-25 13:35:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
This I'm not surprised about in the least bit. Executive Level employees in a corporate setting barely know how their product operates or performs, they just appear on tv or in front of a camera and advertise it for the masses, appearing to show off it's "features". They pay someone else on a low level to care and manage operations, and when it's broken, they show up and say "we are looking into it" without any working understanding about what's going on (translation: fix it guys). I would not expect a video game corporation to be any different.

It's frustrating when the head of development doesn't understand what they're developing, but it's like... you don't actually expect the owners/executives of Walmart to actually shop there? What kind of car do you think even Kia Dealers drive? They might show up to the lot in a kia, but that's not what they go to dinner in.

In the Walmart analogy though, it's like the guy who heads clothing not understanding claims about product quality because he lives in a nudist commune.
[+]
By fonewear 2018-05-25 13:39:37
Link | Quote | Reply

If they played monk for more then say five minutes. They probably would understand that the "fix" didn't fix anything.

It's a sad thing when they try to fix something they somehow make it worse. Maybe if they had a direction they wanted to take monk. Not well let's change boost or let's change focus. That is there way of saying "We did something to monk are you happy now !"
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-05-25 13:50:38
Link | Quote | Reply

These people are "head developers" only in title it seems. If my memory serves me correctly, either this or the previous development team had zero clue "what Almighty Apkallu is, and why he isn't popping". I forget who it was, but it seems to be a recurring theme that is systemic: the people involved havent a *** clue as to what's going on in the actual game. There are numerous examples of this. They are just extremely lazy and incompetent, comfortable with putting out a substandard product and hiding it behind smiles and goofy demeanor. Meanwhile, people like Camate mentioned above have to deal with this frustration from an internal perspective, while we hurl pseudo-offensive remarks at him through the OF because ***isn't getting done or addressed.

"Frustrating" is just scratching the surface. This is full blown incompetence and carelessness. And the only time they seemingly get something right is either by complete happenstance or 5 years after the fact where nobody really cares anymore. Hell, they got Cornelia right, but must have known that was too good to give away for free, so they limited her availability for a set time.

I still miss that girl, every night I cry myself to sleep.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-05-25 13:54:15
Link | Quote | Reply

They are just extremely lazy and incompetent, comfortable with putting out a substandard product and hiding it behind smiles and goofy demeanor.

Not for nothing, but it's your own fault. You let this stupid ***go, you keep paying for it.
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2018-05-25 14:05:38
Link | Quote | Reply

They talk about how reworking the tools and the engine would be a massive undertaking (and it would be!) but the community, and the ps community, is doing a whole lot with limited access.

By corporate standards, it wouldn't take that much to revitalize the game, or reboot it. A lot of what exists could remain in place.

Sure FFXI doesn't make the money to afford it anymore, but FFXIV robbed coffers for years, there's no reason FFXI can't. Liven up the textures, incorporate gearswap and a handful of other addons, and make jumping a thing.

Hire the top programmers graphics people in the 3PT community and the community that shall not be named. Passion + fair money can get a whole helluva lot done.

Rewrite the playstation2 toolkit. Trust me, I know that a game engine is nothing like a car engine (which people seem to think when they say 'upgrade the engine'). It would take work, but it's worth it.

I quit, disposed of my character, and no I don't play anywhere else, but I will always stand by this game having the best job system ever designed. Subjob change entirely changed certain jobs and jobs always remained different.

The best thing about FFXI is how it gives no shits about PvP. That means sentinel or enfeebling magic wasn't nerfed because somebody cried on the forums. Can't kill a turtle in PvP? Good, they're supposed to be unkillable.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-05-25 14:27:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't worry. I'm in and out of this game and tend to go missing for a bit. Free campaign right now, and they said they have some things in "the works".

Honestly, that talk about reworking the tools is basically a translation: "we are too lazy to devote time, energy, and resources to a game we're still collecting bank off of, because (again), we're lazy".

I'm looking at November-ish to be the next big content release, as I projected last year that we should only expect one big new release per year (see omen, dynamis 2.0 trend). I'm not really expecting much, and please, I hope it's not something silly like dreamlands zones. They did say they wanted to "repurpose" less visited areas, which I am all for. Fave zone is Pso'xja, which is used like 2 times in the entire game and then never seen again. Best music and landscape in the game to-date.

Also, PvP was once a huge thing in FFXI and it garnered hundreds of participants and large attention. They did at one point really care about PvP, and some abilities absolutely do scale. It's just they've moved away from that category of play and are now more focused on individual characer dev with the whole "levelling your trust" thing. Personally, I think they should introduce a battle arena similar to what was in FF7, where players can progress through randomly chosen battles/mechanics and test their abilities vs a variety of debuffs, buffs, monsters, stages, and job choices. That's honestly what "master trials" should be IMO.
but I'm ranting.

Happy Memorial Day weekend.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2018-05-25 14:53:49
Link | Quote | Reply

The only thing I want is to get my damn lore answers. I don't expect them to give me any though(if one of those 5 clowns left is even aware of anything), but it's the thing I want the most since they're not gonna make further expansions.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-05-25 15:15:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh, for all the fairly justified criticism being tossed their way I think the last few events they have added are some of the best thought out in the game. The escha system is pretty wonderful and FAR superior to a sky(or sea LUL)-like system. Omen and Dynamis-D each have their faults but as an overall I think are some of the best battle systems they have ever added to the game. It's sad they haven't put any work into reworking some of the core game, but I think we're seeing the best of FFXI lately.
[+]
By Nyarlko 2018-05-25 15:24:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I just want to know why they coded Oseem with a "Grocery list column A, B, C, D...." algorithm for determining augments. It's such a crapshoot system that is hardly a satisfying experience. Dark Matter augmenting is by far the worst augmenting to-date, as there are zero customization options. It can literally pull any augment from any table it appears, with combinations that make no logical sense.

I personally think that should be addressed to some extent, if not, just the PFT stones. Make it similar to Divainy augmenting so there is less of a random factor involved. Just would like to know why they decided to go that route with such a rare material drop for something so random.

The system itself is fine. It's the value ranges that are not. Any sort of adjustment similar to what you are asking for is going to take a rewrite of the NPC and system. Before arguing, look at the history of the Ambuscade taru. (That is exactly what they had to do in order to change the augment system, and the reasoning for why it took so long to be implemented.) That seems like too large an undertaking to expect to happen, so I think that what they should do is simply raise the floor (to somewhere around the current median.) If it was no longer possible to get 100% worthless values, it wouldn't be nearly as frustrating a system. I suspect that changing the possible augment ranges would be a far simpler task than making a new augment system.

Ex: Current range for the combined acc/atk augment is 1-25. I'm saying that range should be somewhere between 10-25 or 15-25. You have to admit that it would be far less rage inducing to get something possibly workable rather than the apparent spit in the face that getting acc+1 feels like.

DM augs... Only complaint I have with these is that they are able to pull from literally impossible to benefit from stats. I just got Blood Pact damage +5 on Herc Helm last night. XD Would be nice if they at least excluded those impossible to benefit from options based on what jobs can equip the gear at least, but even that would be a luxury IMO.
By Zyla 2018-05-25 15:44:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Inuyushi said: »
Zyla said: »
Please god SE, more wardrobes for gear... I need like 4 more, not even exaggerating.

More wardrobes so you can wait 10 minutes after zoning to equip gear instead of 5 minutes!
A bit hyperbolic, it's only like 30s or so. Even if it did raise it a bit more I wouldn't care. The amount of gear needed for jobs these days is absurd, and in a game meant to gear and play multiple we need a absolute ton of space. I have 4 jobs geared, a lot of shared gear between them, and I am still damn near at full capacity and can't really play any other jobs I want to because I just don't have the space. And that's with me using storage slips... It's a issue we really need a solution to.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-05-25 15:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

The system itself is fine.

The Oseem augment system is the exact literal opposite of "Fine" it's not even in the realm of words that might even come close to "Fine". It's purposely designed to keep you doing it forever.

Skirmish augments are close to "Fine"

Abjuration augments are actually "Fine"

They want gil sinks, Oseem would've been the perfect gil sink. Instead of pumping thousands of stones into a Slot Machine, every thousand stones is set stat+1.

I'd rather pay 1000 pellucid stones per attack+1 until cap than potentially use a billion and never get a reasonable augment.

Everyone wants the same god damn augments, for every job, everytime. They all want Stat+ WSD+ and acc/att everything else is a waste of time. Everyone wants TA+ acc/att.

You know what no one wants? MND+ CHR+ SubtleBlow+ WSacc+ Counter+ DW+
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8