Game: FFXI
user: Funkworkz
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2018-01-31 20:10:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
Asura.Carrotchan said: »
Search bar is no longer case sensitive
good. that always irritated me.
(I havnt rly been able to play the last several months due to moving. SO im a little bit behind)

Please leave feedback in the bg wiki thread about what you don't like regarding the navigation. Also, we have made a lot of strides in the last several months regarding old content. Be sure to repay a visit.
[+]
By Felgarr 2018-01-31 20:12:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I use FFXIciclopedia for occasional testimonials, Empyrean Trials placeholder IDs, and the "Obtained by" section for many items. These areas tend to be more up-to-date than BGwiki. I'm sure there are others.

If the two were merged, that'd be cool, but I wouldn't hold my breath or lose sleep over it.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2018-01-31 20:12:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Haldarn said: »
If you don't like the layout (Wikia skin/Oasis), you can change My Preferences -> Appearance -> Layout to Monobook, so it looks like it did in the old days.

i think i did that at one point years ago. I honestly dont clearly remember half my game play time any more. But i used clopedia a good bit back in my crafting days; 100/60 and way before synergy. Sent a lot of tiem on there trying to skill up crafts without wasting gil. I even ended up writing two crafting guides then. Now im just sad because they are practically useless in the new modern day system/game.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2018-01-31 20:13:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Funkworkz said: »
Odin.Godofgods said: »
Asura.Carrotchan said: »
Search bar is no longer case sensitive
good. that always irritated me.
(I havnt rly been able to play the last several months due to moving. SO im a little bit behind)

Please leave feedback in the bg wiki thread about what you don't like regarding the navigation. Also, we have made a lot of strides in the last several months regarding old content. Be sure to repay a visit.

id love to. That would mean all the crap in RL calmed down enough that i could return and play!
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions 2018-01-31 20:34:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Felgarr said: »
I use FFXIciclopedia for occasional testimonials, Empyrean Trials placeholder IDs, and the "Obtained by" section for many items. These areas tend to be more up-to-date than BGwiki. I'm sure there are others.

If the two were merged, that'd be cool, but I wouldn't hold my breath or lose sleep over it.

Wouldn't happen. FFXIclopedia is owned and hosted by Wikia. They stand to lose a bit there.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2018-01-31 21:04:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions said: »
FFXIclopedia is owned and hosted by Wikia. They stand to lose a bit there.

so what happened to your clone; Gamer Escape?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2018-01-31 22:55:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I would tell a slightly longer history of bgwiki that might show why it eventually rose to prominence.

BGwiki was founded in the aftermath of the Wikia Dale email dump by a disaffected community, but there was a ton of FFXI content and wikia already had the pages and years of content. BGwiki managed to make novel pages for Salvage findings, but beyond that it never really found a niche.

Fast forwards a few years to the WotG doldrums and wikia's editing has slowed, while BG is literally down to a single editor, Septimus. Septimus developed tools that let him automatically generated wiki page following game updates, so he was keeping page skeletons up even for new content but wasn't playing and had no other editors.

Around this time, I was doing a bunch of testing and got ticked about how my wiki edits would be reverted / the shitty ads and layout on Wikia, while BG was a tabula rasa. Thus, I started updating BGwiki's mechanics pages. TheBlackrose made some templates at the time, and I used them to remake all the ability/spell/WS pages with accurate information, testing links, etc. Septimus kept developing tools like a set detector, but we were still a small time operation.

Eventually Slycer joined us and he and I started adding content, like Salvage 2, Dynamis revamp, and Meebles. Both of us made pretty accurate pages, but his were always both pretty and accurate. Anyway, Dynamis revamp or Voidwatch were probably the first big times that people had to use bgeiki because Wikia didn't copy our pages quickly enough for them.

Some time around then, we picked up a lot more contributors including Funk and Spicy and Septimus stopped editing/posting on BG.

It is hard to overstate how critical Septimus' work was for BGwiki. It takes an entire community to make a wiki successful, but it took Septimus to keep it alive and make it maintainable lowman. His tools gave bgwiki the edge it needed during the WotG doldrums and let us maintain fairly current content with a tiny staff.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions
By Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions 2018-02-01 00:58:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn. I had no idea...
[+]
By pchan 2018-02-01 01:25:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Somme BG-wiki pages have gone full retard lately, some idiot writing personal opinions, inappropriate images or content. Can check bhaflau remnants page or unity for instance. I did wotg missions lately too and it's full of crap.
By Draylo 2018-02-01 03:16:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The wiki's always had testimonials if thats what you mean. The only inappropriate images I've seen are just stock photos for monsters which are sometimes incorrect. I used to post actual cropped screenshots of monsters but they were all deleted in favor of stock ones, I'm guessing because its easier to automate for newer monster pages.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Evildemon
Server: Asura
By Asura.Evildemon 2018-02-01 06:51:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I always loved FFXIClopedia back in the day it was great and was the best source of information and for older content it still is a much better source. While BG is overall great it lacks critical details that wouldn't seem important, but those details from FFXIClopedia have saved me from pulling my hair out.

Even now on some of the newer content though BG doesn't always have the up to date information that Clopedia would have had done.

If I had the time I would definitely agree to helping update Clopedia as it is was my lifeline for a lot of things and i'm sure a lot of other people would agree with that as well.
[+]
By Justuas 2018-02-01 07:07:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh god the horror. I remember the xiclopedia video ads that began rolling automatically when you entered a page. It made my old computer run very slowly.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Senaki
user: Senaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Senaki 2018-02-01 08:06:11
Link | Quote | Reply

For me, I don't use anything except for the BGWiki unless I'm looking up some ancient ffxi content that isn't available on the BG. My primary issue with the FFXIClopedia is the endless Ads that slow my computer to a halt, that and I've had numerous rouge ads attacks me from there. If has literally gotten to the point that I can't even look up the FFXIClopedia on my phone because of all the redirects from ads, and I'm not willing to use it on my CPU due to the endless cookies.

The BG wiki never gives me these problems. I used to be a big fan of the FFXIClopedia, but now that there is just a better site; BGWiki. It really is just a case of a competitive market; something better quality came out for less efforts of the users.

Post deleted by User.
By Quizzy 2018-02-01 08:35:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm... I use otherwiki fairly often and haven never had a malware attack.
 Shiva.Haldarn
Server: Shiva
user: Haldarn
By Shiva.Haldarn 2018-02-01 08:53:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Again, for FFXIclopedia:

Switch to Monobook in My Preferences: no ads or Wikia content links anywhere, old style wiki as it was before.

I remember the intrusive auto-play video popup ads. People complained to Wikia en masse. They listened. They worked hard to find a balance of ad revenue vs intrusiveness that would maintain their profits, so we now have that massive top banner on the Main Page.

Creating an account is free. Keep it logged in forever and bookmark your user homepage so you don't land on the Main Page; you'll never see an ad there again.

The issues with site content is a different matter that the OP of this thread is trying to solve.

The issues with mobile layout is something Karu has been looking at and slowly implementing site-wide with scripts, so apologies that we aren't moving any quicker on that.

---

Can I also take this opportunity to thank those dozens of you who contribute on a piecemeal basis each month. That work is greatly appreciated too!
 Quetzalcoatl.Senaki
user: Senaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Senaki 2018-02-01 09:04:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Creating an account is free. Keep it logged in forever and bookmark your user homepage so you don't land on the Main Page; you'll never see an ad there again.

Exactly, why would I create an account for a site that I never use when I can use another site with much less effort?
[+]
By Jimmyballsack 2018-02-01 09:18:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Is Wikia, or Clopedia, whatever gonna compensate people for their time? Or just hoard the money they're making with all those ad banners that litters the site and crashes my POLs? Rhetorical question, I just find it ballsy coming here to recruit free labor for a now-trash site that sold out whereas there's another worth focusing the effort on.
[+]
By whitemage 2018-02-01 09:25:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking of FFXIclopedia, I have always wanted to ask about the background image with the chibi-esque style FFXI jobs pictured. Who drew it? What is the source? Can someone provide an unedited / higher quality version? I always liked that picture.
By YoGoRock 2018-02-01 09:26:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I use ffxiclopedia quite often never clicking on any ads bit I've really been noticing how much it is falling behind in newer content and even though I used to somewhat know how to edit some of the pages in the past then quit ffxi for a year or so but then came back competlty unsure of my own clopedia editing capabilities since I feel that I feel I've completely forgotton how to edit those pages, create pages, edit info on pages since back but I have also never got an attack on my knowledge of using thier website nor a slow down on my Alienware 18 windows 10 creative edition but I also have several types of functions from Norton security that help or at least seem to be good in it ever happening. I myself prefer info of clopedia rather than looking at ridiculousness of bgwiki's same pics of written info in the pic of being exactly what I am already looking at in-game which doesn't help me any further when it doesn't include what its for, goes to, or even what it used for in detailed information below it and keep in mind I am not a login member of the bgwiki website but I am on fandoms ffxiclopedia's website before fandom took it over. This is only an example: If I wanted to see the bgwiki's exact armor stats picture with barely written info around it just reiterating exactly whats in the pic or exactly what the picture already says, I would just look into the game pic of which I already am looking at it before and being the reasons of my going to search and it yet again doesn't help when I am looking at the website states the exact thing I'm looking at inside the game while playing the game. Reaally, LUL! {Thats my experiences with FFXIclopedia vs.'s BGwiki's ordeal's with using their websites!} ;~)
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2018-02-01 09:30:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Evildemon said: »
I always loved FFXIClopedia back in the day it was great and was the best source of information and for older content it still is a much better source. While BG is overall great it lacks critical details that wouldn't seem important, but those details from FFXIClopedia have saved me from pulling my hair out.

Even now on some of the newer content though BG doesn't always have the up to date information that Clopedia would have had done.

The main reason Cyclopedia was so detailed was the fact that there we so many editors who ran through the same content. When 30+ people view a page with the intent to edit, these fine details get added.

Many of the hardcore BG players/wiki founders stopped playing due to the failure that was abyssea. Around this time (2010), BG wiki was a pretty desolate place. Cyclopedia was thriving throughout the three Abyssea expansions, but died off shortly after the last abyssea expansion came out. At that time, BG Wiki came back to life and has been improving ever since.
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2018-02-01 10:00:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Failure? >.>
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2018-02-01 10:03:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Senaki said: »

Exactly, why would I create an account for a site that I never use when I can use another site with much less effort?
Because there's lots of content that ffxiclopedia has that BG Wiki doesn't that you might need sometimes? There's many times when one needs to look up an older quest or piece of content, or even a piece of equipment, and all BG Wiki has are stubs.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Slore
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2018-02-01 10:16:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I disagree with many posters here. I find that the ffxicloedpia is usually a better resource than bg-wiki for a lot of stuff.

Just yesterday I got a cyan chip from the gobbie, did not know what it was for anymore so I went to bgwiki, it just lists the item, no info on where from or what used for. Went to ffxiclopedia...full description on how to get what quests its used for etc.

I find this happening a lot.
By Justuas 2018-02-01 10:18:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Slore said: »
Just yesterday I got a cyan chip from the gobbie, did not know what it was for anymore so I went to bgwiki, it just lists the item, no info on where from or what used for. Went to ffxiclopedia...full description on how to get what quests its used for etc.
That's because cyan chip is from a content that's like over 10 years old?
[+]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2018-02-01 10:21:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Justuas said: »
Odin.Slore said: »
That's because cyan chip is from a content that's like over 10 years old?
That is correct. I will add these chips to our to-do list and get the pages filled out.
[+]