New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » {Recruiting!} FFXIClopedia Editing Team
{Recruiting!} FFXIClopedia Editing Team
By clearlyamule 2018-02-01 10:33:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Justuas said: »
Odin.Slore said: »
Just yesterday I got a cyan chip from the gobbie, did not know what it was for anymore so I went to bgwiki, it just lists the item, no info on where from or what used for. Went to ffxiclopedia...full description on how to get what quests its used for etc.
That's because cyan chip is from a content that's like over 10 years old?
This is it exactly. Really old stuff from before bgwiki existed is somewhat hit or miss. But basically anything after bgwiki is superior. Most the things you'll miss on being old stuff that hasn't been relevant in forever or the auxiliary pages for something that is but that you'd only do once and stick to the main quest/mission page for anyways. People hit up the main broad stuff but all the little details and side pages can get missed because it's kind of one and done if that stuff nowadays
[+]
By Jetackuu 2018-02-01 10:41:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Quite frankly I just don't like BG for a lot of things, even when it has the same content. /shrug
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Logical
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: cronix
By Cerberus.Logical 2018-02-01 10:55:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I disagree with many posters here. I find that the ffxicloedpia is usually a better resource than bg-wiki for a lot of stuff.

Just yesterday I got a cyan chip from the gobbie, did not know what it was for anymore so I went to bgwiki, it just lists the item, no info on where from or what used for. Went to ffxiclopedia...full description on how to get what quests its used for etc.

I find this happening a lot.

And this is a good point - in context. The way I see it is that ffxiclopedia serves as an excellent archive of all the relevant content prior to 119. The guides are meticulously detailed and the information is very complete, and although the battle testimonials are now almost all out of date and irrelevant, the guides/information/maps are great.

Then, BGWiki has virtually everything a person could ask for when it comes to newer content, of course.

And so I flip between the two depending on the era of content I am looking for. As a "consumer" of this information, I currently see no reason to push for maintenance on two separate sites, but I also see no real value in updating ffxiclopedia OR retrofitting BGWiki with all of the old info, such as the page on chips you're referring to. Let's face it, remaining XI players are (probably) sophisticated enough to alternate between the two as needed.

So, imo, no work is needed from anyone, woohoo!
[+]
 Shiva.Haldarn
Server: Shiva
user: Haldarn
By Shiva.Haldarn 2018-02-01 11:52:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Candlejack said: »
Jimmyballsack said: »
Is Wikia, or Clopedia, whatever gonna compensate people for their time? Or just hoard the money they're making with all those ad banners that litters the site and crashes my POLs? Rhetorical question, I just find it ballsy coming here to recruit free labor for a now-trash site that sold out whereas there's another worth focusing the effort on.
You speak truth. Bravo, sir.

They may have made ad revenue from the site back when they bought it a decade ago, but I'm not sure the number of visits we get from the current population level of FFXI subscribers even quite covers the hosting. Their money is made from the big wikis like Memory Alpha and WoWWiki. Either way, all FFXIclopedia editors contribute on a voluntary basis, as you may imagine.

The site didn't sell out, its owners did, then forked the wiki, abandoned it and then abandoned their fork. FFXIclopedia has been running on empty since then, with just the efforts of a couple of individuals keeping it going.

I'd applaud anyone contributing to BG-Wiki too, if that's your preference. It's a great site that I also use for content I'm just reaching that has fallen outside the scope of clopedia. Imini just wants some help bringing things up to speed, which is not much I can help with myself.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Lockfort
Server: Ragnarok
user: Terazuma
By Ragnarok.Lockfort 2018-02-01 12:37:07
Link | Quote | Reply

What people might not know is that there is a nifty button in the upper right corner of the item box called Reference.

Even if the page is bare (old content usually), it will show connections to quests/npcs/missions.

Only rarely do I go to ffxiclopedia for old content.
[+]
 Odin.Slore
Server: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2018-02-01 13:38:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Funkworkz said: »
Justuas said: »
That's because cyan chip is from a content that's like over 10 years old?
That is correct. I will add these chips to our to-do list and get the pages filled out.

Oh don't get me wrong I am not bitching, just saying that there is a benefit to having both when cross checking content. I use them both just to check on what BGwiki does not have. I think both are good resources.
 Asura.Toralin
Server: Asura
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2018-02-01 13:50:55
Link | Quote | Reply

competition is good. it makes both sources better.

One thing I really like on some BG-wiki content is it tells you the fastest route to get to something

Ie: survival guide/homepoint/vw warp/unm warp/teleport etc

If one source can save me 30 minutes on a quest by just telling me the quickest way to get some place. You got my business!
 Leviathan.Kaparu
Server: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2018-02-01 14:59:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Toralin said: »

That's not how reference works. The information is available or it's not. Nobody from BGWiki skims Clopedia, notices something missing, and says, "I had better get that on BG before they get it!"
[+]
 Leviathan.Kaparu
Server: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2018-02-01 15:07:28
Link | Quote | Reply

And because people seem to be missing this point: I don't think anyone wants Clopedia deleted. If anything, it makes a nice archive for dead content. What is being suggested is that the community's time is better served adding to the wiki that's already being maintained, and is in every other way vastly superior. Cross-referencing what's already there is fine, but continuing to add material to both sources at this point benefits no one.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2018-02-01 15:12:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Lockfort said: »
What people might not know is that there is a nifty button in the upper right corner of the item box called Reference.

Even if the page is bare (old content usually), it will show connections to quests/npcs/missions.

Only rarely do I go to ffxiclopedia for old content.
Well holy ***I always wondered what that was. Learn something everyday
[+]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
Server: Sylph
user: Funkworkz
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2018-02-01 15:17:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kaparu said: »
Asura.Toralin said: »

That's not how reference works. The information is available or it's not. Nobody from BGWiki skims Clopedia, notices something missing, and says, "I had better get that on BG before they get it!"

That is correct. We do not just randomly look for pages that are only stubs just to populate them. I usually look up items as I come across them in-game and look them up to see if their page is done.

Other than that, if I am working on another project (NPC vendor project I did last year, for instance) I found a lot of pages that were stubs. I added information to many of them at that time.

If there are particular pages that need work, bring it to our attention and we will for sure get them done. Just like these chips today.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions 2018-02-01 15:40:47
Link | Quote | Reply

welp I guess this is where I say post closed. Migrated myself over to https://www.bg-wiki.com/.
[+]
By Justuas 2018-02-01 16:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions said: »
welp I guess this is where I say post closed. Migrated myself over to https://www.bg-wiki.com/.
You made the right choice.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
Server: Bismarck
user: dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2018-02-01 18:45:45
Link | Quote | Reply

The community is too small for this kind of bickering and bad blood to persist.

I admit to still use the FFXI wiki for older content, and I find it easier to work with when it lists all relevant information for an item in one page. (the reference link in BG is nice but it takes you to another page with a bunch of other links, so 3 clicks minimum vs 1 click)

BG ultimately is a great source of information and as a consumer of that information,I can only hope both sites thrive.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2018-02-01 18:54:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I've found the maps to be lacking.
[+]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
Server: Sylph
user: Funkworkz
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2018-02-01 18:56:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
I've found the maps to be lacking.
Yeah, the old maps and zone pages suck on bgwiki. Zone revamps are on our immediate radar, but there is much work that needs done before they can begin.

Mainly, we need chocobo digging templates. We don't want to go back and re-do zones if we do not need to. We do not want to re-do the zone templates, then go back and add more things later.
[+]
By Nyarlko 2018-02-17 01:44:48
Link | Quote | Reply

For the old stuff, even allakhazam still works. <,<;; When I was having issues w/ clopedia making my CPU runaway, I defaulted back to alla and everything I remembered was still there. ^^ Even my own ancient posts from younger days. lol
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2018-02-17 08:32:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Since recruitment has been called off, I'm going to close this thread. Thanks for playing and... don't let your meat loaf, I guess.