Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » Jack of All Trades: A Guide to Red Mage
Jack of All Trades: A Guide to Red Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 135 136 137 ... 141 142 143
By Nariont 2022-07-26 03:08:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Nailed it really, the ammo slot for magical stuff is pretty nil so a 10% chance to do a separate 25% extra damage is pretty dang strong
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-07-26 03:40:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Shaedhen said: »
I guess this question doesn't only apply to rdm but since I saw it pop in various sets (enspell build, magic WS,...), I'll ask it here :
Is Sroda Tathlum really that good ?

I've been curious for quite some time about magic critical hit, and some stuff like Choleric or Halasz earrings, but it seemed like it was generally ignored/considered not worth it.

It just feels kinda strange to me to put these +10% II and nothing else related to magic critical hit.

Am I missing something obvious ? Or is it just there because there was nothing considered good enough in the ammo slot in the first place ? ( which would surprise me a bit with Pemphredo/Regal/...)

Magic critical hit is weak
Magic critical hit II is completely different mechanic and is kinda good

You wont get much from Sroda Tathlum on stuff where mab and base stats also work (like elemental magic, blue magic, magic/hybrid WSs etc.), but it still might be slightly higher avg for some of those. There are sources of magical damage not modified by mab or stats tho, like enspell and for those Sroda Tathlum is definitely the best, because it has no competition at all, beside maybe magic accuracy pieces for some super high level content.
[+]
 Asura.Shaedhen
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Shadowwww
By Asura.Shaedhen 2022-07-26 04:08:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah I see, that explains it then.

I had no idea magic critical hit I and II worked differently. Then it make much more sense.

Thanks for the explanation !
[+]
 Asura.Sensarity
user: Meeeeeep
By Asura.Sensarity 2022-07-26 05:15:47
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Can you explain what Magical Crit I and II do? My understanding of it is not the best, and I can't seem to find any information on BG wiki to look into it further.
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-07-26 05:56:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sensarity said: »
SimonSes said: »
Can you explain what Magical Crit I and II do? My understanding of it is not the best, and I can't seem to find any information on BG wiki to look into it further.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Magic_Critical_Hit - MCH is basically a chance to add +10MAB (more if you have also Magic Critical Hit Damage) to your nukes. Doesn't work for WSs, JA or enspell.

MCHII is just chance to do 25% more magic damage (unique multiplier). Current testings suggest it can apply to any magical damage including spells, WSs, JA and enspell. Sroda Tathlum is the only known source so far to increase that stat by 10%, so it's impossible to know if rate from different items stacks.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2022-07-26 06:35:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I see it as an average of 2.5% increase to your magic damage, I know that's an oversimplification. If you're having issues with m.acc, obviously don't use it in that set.

It's great for my Enspell focused tp set and I use it for Elemental WSs because when you kill a segment farming mob in a WS instead of 2 WSs, it's a net gain.

There are definitely more important upgrades for the money it costs, but if you can get it cheap then it's a good pick up.
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2022-07-26 06:42:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Sroda does not seem to apply to Drain/Aspir, and I am unaware of any tests on whether it affects Skillchains.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
By Phoenix.Iocus 2022-07-26 07:37:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »
Sroda does not seem to apply to Drain/Aspir, and I am unaware of any tests on whether it affects Skillchains.

I'll pay a little bit of attention when I do mastery farms the next time. I usually trans > Seraph with a SC bonus set on. I don't remember it hitting for capped SC damage so it would be easy enough to spot if I hit for significantly more SC damage when the WS damage is the same.
By Littleflame 2022-07-26 17:18:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Did some quick tests on apex crawlers doing CDC > CDC Lights with no SCdmg gear so the SC deal roughly the same damage as the closing WS. After 45 SCs, five of them did do roughly 25% more damage than the closing WS. The first two we're during lightsday but the last three happened on darksday.

Tathlum was locked, only debuff was Dia, and I was solo with Cornelia and Monberaux
Can't think of any other reason why the damage would jump
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
By Phoenix.Iocus 2022-08-02 05:59:56
Link | Quote | Reply

This thread keeps say there are new posters but the last post that is displayed is Littleflame's post about doing CDC>CDC with Tathlum locked.

Super weird.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-08-02 06:05:04
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not weird, I deleted the post. So there was a new post and then there wasn't.
[+]
 Asura.Shaedhen
user: Shadowwww
By Asura.Shaedhen 2022-08-23 07:05:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Another question :
I just got Karambit a few days ago so I decided to try it out a bit on RDM since it's available and Nuance has a WS set for it. Wasn't really impressed. Is there any situation where it would be a better option than a club and Black Halo/Flash Nova when you need some blunt dmg ?
 Asura.Disclai
user: Disclai
By Asura.Disclai 2022-08-23 08:31:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Shaedhen said: »
Another question :
I just got Karambit a few days ago so I decided to try it out a bit on RDM since it's available and Nuance has a WS set for it. Wasn't really impressed. Is there any situation where it would be a better option than a club and Black Halo/Flash Nova when you need some blunt dmg ?

Not that I can think of, short of messing around. RDM has no H2H skill. Even when you can only single wield, Maxentius & Black Halo should be (way) better. Asuran Fists unfortunately won't benefit from Temper at all, either.
[+]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2022-08-23 10:10:47
Link | Quote | Reply

There isn't a lot of shakeup in terms of sets really from empy +2, but all of the stuff you use got better. Biggest difference honestly is just that Lethargy Body/Hands don't get swapped out in resistant sets now for enfeebling potency.

New Enhancing sets below for base duration:
Base Enhancing Duration Base Enhancing Duration Other
ItemSet 386311 ItemSet 386312

• Colada: Enhancing Duration +4%

• Lethargy Earring +2: Right ear obviously

• Telchine: Enhancing Duration +10%

• Ghostphyre: Enhancing Duration +20%

• Duration Bonuses

• Duration Bonus: 94%
    • Aug Bonus: 69%
    • Aggregate Bonus: 228%

• Colada: Enhancing Duration +4%

• Lethargy Earring +2: Right ear obviously

• Ghostphyre: Enhancing Duration +20%

• Duration Bonuses

• Duration Bonus: 79%
    • Aug Bonus: 49%
    • Composure Bonus: 35%

• Aggregate Bonus: 260%

Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2022-08-23 12:13:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Some new (or old but now more feasible) uses I can think of:

Feet are now BiS for magic WSs.

Using 3/5-5/5 Empy for enfeebling duration sets is now a lot more useful on resistant mobs.

Head, body, and hands are now very good for hybrid nuking sets (for when you're expecting to get hit while casting, like sometimes happens in Sortie when working on magic objectives). They give you 32% DT, so after including 10% PDT on back you only need one more slot to cap PDT.

The set is pretty close to R15 Agwu in terms of MAB/INT/MDMG, so 5/5 might be BiS for low tier nukes and helices outside of MBs.
[+]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2022-08-23 14:33:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Using 3/5-5/5 Empy for enfeebling duration sets is now a lot more useful on resistant mobs.

Head, body, and hands are now very good for hybrid nuking sets (for when you're expecting to get hit while casting, like sometimes happens in Sortie when working on magic objectives). They give you 32% DT, so after including 10% PDT on back you only need one more slot to cap PDT.

The set is pretty close to R15 Agwu in terms of MAB/INT/MDMG, so 5/5 might be BiS for low tier nukes and helices outside of MBs.

Been theory crafting best Frazzle III/Distract III set and I'm bummed what I think the perfect set is only at 624 skill at ML 40... :(

ItemSet 386317

At ML50, can drop second stikini ring and get Kishar for +10% duration

• Skill: @ML 40, 624

• Potency: 56%

• Duration: 35%

• Augment: 25%

• Composure: 10%

Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2022-08-23 14:34:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Shadowmeld said: »

Been theory crafting best Frazzle III/Distract III set and I'm bummed what I think the perfect set is only at 624 skill at ML 40... :(

ItemSet 386317

Give me a list of gear and I can find the ideal set for you, was curious about some sets as well so having the gear ready to go already would be nice
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-08-23 14:39:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Assuming you meant in comparison to Bunzi gear, as RDM isn't on the Agwu? (sadly)
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2022-08-23 14:49:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »

Assuming you meant in comparison to Bunzi gear, as RDM isn't on the Agwu? (sadly)
No; I used Agwu because we're not on it. It was reference set to demonstrate how strong Lethargy +2 is for this purpose.
[+]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2022-08-23 15:28:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »

ItemSet 386317

Give me a list of gear and I can find the ideal set for you, was curious about some sets as well so having the gear ready to go already would be nice

Like possible alternatives? or what?

Grioavolr Aug'd up to +16 skill
Enki strap
Ullr
atrophy chapeau +3
lethargy chappel +2
amalric coif +1 Path D I think
atrophy tabard +3
lethargy gantherots +2
metamorph ring +1
Kishar ring
psycloth lappas
chironic hose Immunobreak doesn't work on Distract/Frazzle
lethargy houseaux +2

There are also about a billion possible sword/shield/dagger combos.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2022-08-23 15:35:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »

ItemSet 386317

Like possible alternatives? or what?

Grioavolr Aug'd up to +16 skill
Enki strap
Ullr
atrophy chapeau +3
lethargy chappel +2
amalric coif +1 Path D I think
atrophy tabard +3
lethargy gantherots +2
metamorph ring +1
Kishar ring
psycloth lappas
chironic hose Immunobreak doesn't work on Distract/Frazzle
lethargy houseaux +2
I was looking for other enfeebling skill pieces to consider to get that last bit, but if you intend to keep the max potency and duration possible, doesn't seem like any other options.
VIP
By Lili 2022-08-23 15:44:07
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 386317

• Skill: @ML 40, 624

• Potency: 56%

• Duration: 35%

• Augment: 25%

• Composure: 10%

I wouldn't be too bummed if I were you. First of all 624 skill is only "bad" for Frazzle, because Distract III caps at 610 skill.
Second, you want to cast Frazzle under Saboteur anyway most of the time, which means empy hands in place of Regal Cuffs, which means overcapped in skill which means kishar even w/o ML50! And the hit to duration is not that huge because of empy set bonus.

Sure, it'd be nice to have full potency AND duration frazzle even w/o Saboteur, but the benefit is going to be extremely minor. And either way in November (I think) the ML cap is going to get raised, and as soon as you ding ML41 the issue disappears!
 Quetzalcoatl.Jakey
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Jakey
By Quetzalcoatl.Jakey 2022-08-23 16:31:20
Link | Quote | Reply

just use empy hands and kishar ring, fixes skill gap and only trades 10 duration for 10 composure which should be a net benefit also optimal set for when you use saboteur.
 Phoenix.Iocus
By Phoenix.Iocus 2022-08-24 09:34:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »

No; I used Agwu because we're not on it. It was reference set to demonstrate how strong Lethargy +2 is for this purpose.

And it's only +2 so far. SE came through for RDM. If anything it's a good thing we were on Bunzi and not Agwu. I feel mildly guilty that SCH is not on Bunzi feet, but their Regen is already delightfully out of control and Agwu was so good for them.

I'm finishing Empy +2 up to 5/5 before I move on to other jobs just so I don't have to think about it when prioritizing the rest of my upgrades.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2022-08-24 10:50:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Jakey said: »
just use empy hands and kishar ring, fixes skill gap and only trades 10 duration for 10 composure which should be a net benefit also optimal set for when you use saboteur.

You're right actually, this should be net duration positive. And could also drop Mephitis Grip for extra macc in Enki.

New set:
Frazzle III
ItemSet 386317

• Skill: 625

• Potency: +56%

• Duration: +25%

• Augment: +25%

• Composure: +20%

• Aggregate Duration: 187.5%

VIP
By Lili 2022-08-26 22:19:14
Link | Quote | Reply

You're right actually, this should be net duration positive. And could also drop Mephitis Grip for extra macc in Enki.
[snip]

Are sure you're counting right? The set you posted, minus Obstinate Sash that I don't have yet, puts me at 610 skill. With sash is going to be 620, so it needs Mephitis again to get 625.

Anyway, Chironic Hose have another 13 skill on them, and it's not too difficult to get enough mnd+magic accuracy to match empy pants +2. Regal Cuffs + Chironic Hose could be a viable swap when saboteur is down.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2022-08-27 00:14:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Lili said: »
[snip]

Are sure you're counting right? The set you posted, minus Obstinate Sash that I don't have yet, puts me at 610 skill. With sash is going to be 620, so it needs Mephitis again to get 625.

Anyway, Chironic Hose have another 13 skill on them, and it's not too difficult to get enough mnd+magic accuracy to match empy pants +2. Regal Cuffs + Chironic Hose could be a viable swap when saboteur is down.

Are you accounting for ML40?

Edit:
@ML40
base: 500
merits: 16
gear: 109 104
total: 625 620

Sash is +15 skill @R25

Oops, sash is +10 skill @R25
You're right
 Bismarck.Indigla
Server: Bismarck
user: Indigla
By Bismarck.Indigla 2022-09-01 00:34:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Made a Cure DT set for RDM which I should have a long time ago. Just wondering if anyone has one of their own or ideas for improvements?

This one is agnostic of main and sub slots or sub job. Should cap the power part of the cure formula come ML 50 I think. Has 50% PDT, 31% MDT (cap w/ Shell5), 29% BDT, 62% cure potency.

ItemSet 386517
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2022-09-01 07:48:52
Link | Quote | Reply

For harder content like odyssey, the kayakaus set doesn’t have enough meva and mdb to survive some of the big hitters. Bunzi and nyame give you that protection. As such all of my current dt curing sets have at least bunzi robe because it’s 15% CP and dt.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 135 136 137 ... 141 142 143