Sigurd's Descendants: The Art Of Dragon Slaying.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » Sigurd's Descendants: The Art of Dragon Slaying.
Sigurd's Descendants: The Art of Dragon Slaying.
First Page 2 3 ... 64 65 66 ... 110 111 112
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2019-01-06 21:47:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd like them to remove Drak's attack penalty and just make the fTP transfer, would create a decent use case for it.
[+]
 Valefor.Ophannus
Server: Valefor
user: Ophannus
By Valefor.Ophannus 2019-01-09 12:46:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
One thing that's always irritated me. Why do mythic WS not get a lvl3 SC property? Relic have them. Empy have them. Eventually even merit WS got them, with the right Wep/AM. By all means, limit it to when using Ryu with AM up, but give Drakes a L3 property! It's really something all mythic WS should have.(and I'm going to pretend like that wouldn't make Leaden salute even more wtf broken.)

I think it's because they're level 75 and most of them are multi-hit to be powerful on their own as stand-alone skills. The Relic WS are all 1-hitters. The aftermath of mythic WS also add to that. Overall I think they went with the theme of multihitting, faster, but weaker, vs Relic which are hard hitting, slower, but level 3 SCable. There are exceptions though, like Victory Smite, which is basically everything we wish Drakesbane was. The Empyrean WS are best of both worlds but they're also level 85, so they gave them better SC properties. Giving level 3 SC properties to drakesbane and removing the attack penalty might give Stardiver a run for its money, as well as Stringing Pummel and a few other notable empy WS.
 Asura.Veikur
By Asura.Veikur 2019-01-09 14:12:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like the seperate jump timers is an actual thing if stream translations are accurate.

Yay, dps buff. Also never taking hate on anything being more guaranteed is also quite nice.
[+]
 Valefor.Ophannus
By Valefor.Ophannus 2019-01-09 14:29:33
Link | Quote | Reply

If they had made Spirit Jump and Soul Jump independent of Jump and High Jump from Day 1 of being implemented, DRG could have seen more success in content, especially when OAT Magian lance and Ryu were meta. This is going to make Fly High crazy good if they leave the recasts unchanged.

I also wonder if they will add any bonus to Spirit and Soul Jump while under Spirit Surge (like allowing them to retain their Wyvern buffs), but that's a pipe dream.
By SimonSes 2019-01-09 15:50:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Ophannus said: »
There are exceptions though, like Victory Smite, which is basically everything we wish Drakesbane was.

Victory Smite is not really a great WS. It's OKish. What makes it so strong is Impetus.

When you are looking for an example of great critical hit WS that Drakes could aspire to.. it's CDC, or even a Vorpal Blade or Evisceration.
[+]
By tyalangan 2019-01-09 15:54:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it that good? That is, what, ten jumps? If so, that is less damage than one unresisted Volt Strike. I guess you would get a WS off between timers so ten jumps plus 2 free Stardivers?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-01-09 16:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

You'd have enough time to pull off 2-3 umbras or whatever, it's really not that groundbreaking for Fly High, due to the 30 second timer. It does make it very nice if you are solo/lowman and need to pop those skillchains in quick succession. You can pump out higher TP Stardivers if you throw a Jump in beforehand.
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2019-01-10 06:17:41
Link | Quote | Reply

tyalangan said: »
Is it that good? That is, what, ten jumps? If so, that is less damage than one unresisted Volt Strike. I guess you would get a WS off between timers so ten jumps plus 2 free Stardivers?

Volt strike is a 3 hit physical blood pact. It can't be resisted.
By tyalangan 2019-01-10 07:46:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I just chose a word quickly. Just meant no misses, fully buffed, Nirvana, etc. just pointing out it doesn’t seem that good.
By SimonSes 2019-01-10 07:58:01
Link | Quote | Reply

tyalangan said: »
I just chose a word quickly. Just meant no misses, fully buffed, Nirvana, etc. just pointing out it doesn’t seem that good.

I think comparing 1hr of DRG to 1hr of SMN doesnt really have sense anyway. It's clear that SMN is king of 1hr zerg (to the point, where it almost feels like cheating) whenever it can be present in the fight, but some 1hr zergs you just do as a bonus, like during wave 3 boss fights for example, so it would have more sense to compare it to other melee jobs commonly used for Dynamis D.
 Asura.Veikur
By Asura.Veikur 2019-01-11 19:20:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Gonna report that unlinked jump timers feel pretty good, at the very least. And watching jump out damage spirit/soul jump at this point in the game is nice too.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-01-13 07:27:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Just played drg first time in months, specifically to test out the jumps. It was already a TP maniac but it's even crazier now. I actually had a hard time keeping up with using them all, between jump times, multi attack rounds, spirit link, and meditate, there's just so many opportunities to dish out quick damage. I'm happy with the upgrades, makes drg do more of what it makes sense for it to do. Fly high is equally insane but I have to find out a good routine for Max DPS while it's active
 Valefor.Ophannus
By Valefor.Ophannus 2019-01-14 13:58:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Now if they buff Ryuno/Drakes, shorten Call Wyvern recast to 10 min, and buff elemental breaths to be based on max hp (or add Tier II versions) I might resub XD, because then DRG will feel "complete". At any rate the splitting of Jump timers and the change to Spirit Link/Wyvern TP was something I've posted numerous times on the official forums since 2011, so I'm happy.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-01-14 14:10:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Call Wyvern is really a shame, that's really all I care to have changed. Dying twice or just getting charmed/dying is a waste of time if you don't have access to RD. Give us "Deux Ex Wyverna" lol

Sure, breath damage could be improved (Holy, Dark breaths would be interesting if they could MB for huge amounts like an automaton can), but I don't know how I feel about them doing this, and then adding a bunch of Wyvern: Breath Damage+50 gear to cycle in after every WS. That would be their lazy way of "fixing" elemental breaths.

Job was always fun, but now it's even better.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2019-01-14 14:16:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Between WoC and Reisenjima Worm HELM, which polearm is better generally, and is WoC polearm substantially better vs dragons?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-01-14 14:24:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Habile Mazrak - This is an easy replacement to your Rhomphaia or a less than perfect (even slightly) Olyndicus. This is one of the least desired items from Warder of Courage, and as a result you may be able to easily pick this up. the Warder is much more difficult than Hanbi though which may limit access to this for some.

Dropped by Warder of Courage in Escha - Ru'Aun.

Quote:
Lembing - This is a tad better than the Habile Mazrak. This is the end all be all before Ultimate Weapons IF you hate augmenting weapons. Which you shouldn't because you love being an awe inspiring DD, right? The issue with this weapon is mostly that it comes from a tier 4 HELM NM in Reisenjima. The same one you need in order to clear Aeonic Weapons. So chances are that if you are capable of farming this NM for the polearm then you are already capable of making Aeonic or better options already.

Dropped by Onychophora in Reisenjima

Source: Here Be DRGs

Dragon question: Habile is +20 to that stat, halved vs NMs I guess. Why wouldn't that be the clear option? Something on Lembing I'm missing?
[+]
By SimonSes 2019-01-14 14:31:12
Link | Quote | Reply

You normally shouldnt die or get charmed that often tho. You have super jump and high jump to avoid death and its not like BST mobs in dynamis D have hide names.. if you know you attack bst and you dont hold your damage and get charmed, then its your own fault. Its just a drg thing, you just need to play carefuly in moments when one shot or charm can happen.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-01-14 14:44:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Charm was just an example of the other wyvern-losing misfortune that CAN happen to DRG. Both dying and charm are rare when it's only your fault, but other people's mistakes can also affect you. One bad pull/Mijin Gakure at wrong time and you're effectively useless. Dying twice is very rare (or getting charmed), but it's that added fear once you have Call Wyvern on a timer that requires you to play extremely cautiously. It always happens at the worst times, and if/when it does, you can't recover from it besides RD assistance. No other job is hampered to that extent like that.
 Ragnarok.Casey
Server: Ragnarok
user: Casey
By Ragnarok.Casey 2019-01-14 15:47:14
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
then its your own fault.
yes, it's our fault that DRG is the only job in the game that can be horribly gimped for up to 20 minutes where the second worst that I know of is 5 minutes.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-01-14 16:03:05
Link | Quote | Reply

BST can merit Call beast down to 4:10, and use Armada Solerets (aug) to bring it down to as low as 4:00 recast timer. And they have the get out of jail free card in Beastial Loyalty, but that's tied to 20min and it's more supplemental than something to rely on.

I would be happy with a 10 minute reduced Call wyvern timer, and a merit option to bring it down to something like 8:30 or so. That's far less debilitating than 20 full minutes.

By comparison, PUP can summon a weakened automaton every minute, and then hack reset their Activate timer at will, so they are never more than 1 minute away from having their pet by their side. True, PUP depends fully on their robot, but for endgame, DRG does as well with wyvern. Having one singular way to bring your wyvern back from misfortune while other jobs can do it much quicker or near-instantly is pretty crappy design IMO. In a perfect world, you'd never lose your pet at all, so PUP, BST, and DRG never have to worry. But when stuff goes downhill, DRG suffers the most of the pet jobs.
By SimonSes 2019-01-14 16:30:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Casey said: »
then its your own fault.
yes, it's our fault that DRG is the only job in the game that can be horribly gimped for up to 20 minutes where the second worst that I know of is 5 minutes.

Yeah, but only CAN be. Thats the key word. Last resort on drk for example makes you much better some time, but then you have a window without it and you are much weaker (especially if not /sam). Impetus on mnk is even worse. It boosts your dps by like 30% then you have 2 min of waiting for super saiyan to be ready again. Dnc has saber dance with decaying da, nin innin with decaying bonuses, Sam has nothing native, but usually sub /war and have same situation with berserk, etc. Now DRG buffs are constant if wyvern is alive. Its high risk, high reward scenario. It would be too easy if so strong buff could be easily reactivated. Its also not so bad.

You really can avoid most deaths and other things that make you lose wyvern or reduce it to less than two per 20 min. If your group is so bad to keep wiping more often, you have bigger problems than cooldown on wyvern. Mijin can be easily reduced to low to medium damage with magic evasion set.

Also if you are in a group event as dd, there is a big chance you have a cor there. So in those rare *** ups when your wyvern is on CD and you need to wait, you can ask cor to Random Deal you.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2019-01-14 16:46:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Those jobs are balanced with partial JA upkeep in mind. DRG is balanced with 100% wyvern upkeep in mind. It's not directly comparable. Scarlet Delirium is "high risk, high reward." A job-defining pet that allows for the master to be up to par isn't.

A 20-minute cooldown on it can't really be called anything other than bad game design so I'm not sure why this is the hill you want to die on.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Casey
By Ragnarok.Casey 2019-01-14 16:52:58
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah, you could just choose to not call wyvern at all I guess and be gimped forever :)

the difference here is that you want to call wyvern as soon as possible so your cooldown is ready. Which means you want to call wyvern as soon as you're up. other standard DD jobs don't have to worry about this. hitting LR and souleater and dying from your def being ***and draining your own hp like a moron still is a lesser penalty than call wyvern timer. I don't understand why you're defending garbagefire tier game design. having to rely on a COR is a massive crutch. What if you died a third time? ask them to wildcard call wyvern?

so lets do apples to apples, shall we?
assuming no timer reductions, duration buffs:

JA:Uptime:recast
hasso:5min:1min
last resort:3min:5min
impetus:3min:5min
berserk:3min:5min
saber dance:3min:5min
innin:3min:5min

note that at most, you're gimped for the duration of a normal 5min weakness or less. If you die twice in a row on any of these other jobs you basically can't notice it with a normal weakness duration. you bet that being able to use the fun JAs literally four times while drg is jerking off waiting for the wyvern when only hasso is up is completely debilitating.

note that DRG can only get one of these super cool JAs while where other jobs can get two of them. This means that drg artificially is weakened longer in the same scenario. Not to mention literally not being able to use healing breaths at all. Imagine if dancer just couldn't waltz for 20 minutes for no good reason

Let's also not pretend that DRK/SAM doesn't get what DRG does and more from LR+hasso. also having objectively higher attack from attack bonus, better gear and higher PDL.

tl;dr: nobody has to "just rely on cor to do your core functionality, its not bad game design -- trust me, i'm dolphin" like drg
By SimonSes 2019-01-14 17:09:07
Link | Quote | Reply

The cor example was only for rare situation where so much dying happen. Its far from relying on cor. Drg has tools to die far less often than any other dd. I dont want to defend this too much, but you just try to make it look so bad, lile dying so often would be some kind of standard or would happen often. Once again, if it happens that often, you have bigger problems than cooldown on wyvern.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-01-14 17:11:58
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't happen often, but when it does, its an utter PITA. Super inconvenience. Not the same as having your songs dispelled or being on Impetus cooldown. You're literally a gimped warrior with a polearm until your wyvern returns for upwards of 15~20MIN.

There isn't a weakness in the game that can hinder any job that severely for so long.
 Ragnarok.Casey
By Ragnarok.Casey 2019-01-14 17:19:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Drg has tools to die far less often than any other dd.
but does it? If you don't have hate you're worse than DRK for sure. If you do have hate, you're worse than DRK for sure. If it's a magic attack, you're worse than RUN. You can't pop defender on DRG/SAM so you couldn't possibly mitigate physical attacks as much as WAR.

It's super neat how DRK can just have ludicrously high HP full time and dread spikes so you don't really need to worry too much about getting hit with an errant aoe, or you can survive a honkin huge single target WS.

most of the time i've died because I can't get hate off of me despite gimping my DPS and trying to use high jump to remove hate and failing, then use super jump to remove hate just to get it back again. meanwhile DRK just doesnt have to worry about it. Note that I always tp in a 50% PDT/DT set in hyper buffs just so I try to not die, but I end up dying anyway occasionally during the quarter second window where I still have WS gear on and the mob readies a TP move and it's too late for me to swap back to my TP set

let's not forget if people forget to sleep avatars or otherwise for aoe damage
By SimonSes 2019-01-14 18:08:21
Link | Quote | Reply

It's super neat how DRK can just have ludicrously high HP full time and dread spikes so you don't really need to worry too much about getting hit with an errant aoe, or you can survive a honkin huge single target WS.
(...)
I still have WS gear on and the mob readies a TP move and it's too late for me to swap back to my TP set

Do I understand this wrong or you think Dread Spikes work for TP move? If you know they don't work for TP move, then you should also know that DRK is far more vulnerable to one shot than DRG. DRK has very low def during LR, has no meva during Resolution usually (because argosy set) or has huge damage taken + if WSing with Scythe.

I can't get hate off of me despite gimping my DPS and trying to use high jump to remove hate and failing, then use super jump to remove hate just to get it back again. meanwhile DRK just doesnt have to worry about it.

Then you have a problem with your tank being bad (or its a fight with a mob taking several times more damage like Qutrub Ambuscade). Being able to reset 79% hate every 100 sec, should easily get you out of the top of hate list forever.

And no, it's definitely not true that DRK doesn't have to worry about it. If enemy is so weak that DRK doesn't have to worry about it, then DRG doesn't have to worry about it too.

DRG/SAM can also use Seigan/third eye without losing almost anything (you only lose 7 STR from Hasso). DRK can only do this during LR up and there is still and downside of having huge casting times (I guess you could argue that DRK with Apocalypse can use seigan with LR down too and lose only 1.25% to cap haste, but that 1.25% is still loosing dps, especially that you also need to use Apocalypse, which is also not bis for damage. WAR and SAM can't drop hasso without losing 10% or more ability haste.

So yeah DRG has:
1. Hate reset tools
2. Emergency cure tools
3. Emergency avoid bad things jump
4. +20% def buff
5. Can full time Seigan/Third Eye, without any serious consequences to DPS

So yeah they are far more suited to die less frequently.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-01-14 18:10:23
Link | Quote | Reply

drain 3 is what he was talking about
By SimonSes 2019-01-14 18:17:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
drain 3 is what he was talking about

Oh yeah forgot about Drain 3 XD

Still doens't change the other facts that I mentioned about DRG survivability.
 Ragnarok.Casey
By Ragnarok.Casey 2019-01-14 18:19:49
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't matter if dread spikes works on TP moves or not when you have 6k hp but took 3k when you would have had less than 3k HP on drg, it just makes DRK that much better at surviving the exact same scenario

dread spikes and drain 3's max hp from dark seal+nether void is better than all of that, except I guess super jump for totally avoiding damage but that's on a long timer -- but avoiding a single attack really isnt the main problem here. It's mostly about aoes or continually holding hate

recapping hate back to the point you were at is absolutely trivial to do. third eye kind of sucks as a sub, and it's certainly not going to save me when I cant use it during my own weaponskill but DRK's 6k+ hp and/or dread spikes will save them

yes, a blanket solution here is to "just get a better tank" and/or "just get better players" in case of errant AOEs/aggros/etc, but when isn't it?

none of this changes that DRG is crippled four times longer minimum than any other job under the same scenario (dying twice) and simply unable to perform healing breath.
First Page 2 3 ... 64 65 66 ... 110 111 112