FFXI On A MAC?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » FFXI on a MAC?
FFXI on a MAC?
First Page 2
 Asura.Scrily
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Archelaus
By Asura.Scrily 2009-07-13 18:50:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Was just wondering if it is possible to play on a mac and if so how is it done? I have a friend interested in playing but she refuses to buy pc :P lol.
[+]
 Bahamut.Nixak
Server: Bahamut
user: Nixak
By Bahamut.Nixak 2009-07-13 18:59:57
Link | Quote | Reply

This is how.
 Ramuh.Yarly
Server: Ramuh
user: nignog
By Ramuh.Yarly 2009-07-13 19:00:37
Link | Quote | Reply

http://forums.windower.net/index.php?showtopic=8562
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-07-13 19:11:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd recommend Wine over Bootcamp just because it seems like much less of a hassle, plus learning to use Wine for Windows apps can be a very helpful resource anyway. Many people report normal FPS through Wine and some even say it's better, which is probably rare, but still a nice bonus. D:
 Garuda.Bravefencer
Server: Garuda
By Garuda.Bravefencer 2009-07-13 19:54:25
Link | Quote | Reply

is it possible? im a MAC user too
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-07-13 20:00:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I've had no luck with Wine in a year of owning a Mac... Bootcamp took all of 3 hours.
 Valefor.Lilbusta
Server: Valefor
user:
By Valefor.Lilbusta 2009-07-13 20:17:58
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't paid too much attention to the apple computers, but i remember the duo core ones were able to dual boot windows and Mac OS. Only problem is gettin' your hands on Windows OS.
 Fenrir.Bhagamu
user: bhagamu
By Fenrir.Bhagamu 2009-07-13 20:37:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I play this on a mac. Wine is okay, but imo it really isn't worth your time. I have a first generation macbook black, and run ffxi on pretty low settings. I won't lie, it doesn't run beautifully, but if you want to play on mac, I highly recommend using bootcamp over wine.
 Alexander.Mrjn
Server: Alexander
user: mrjn
By Alexander.Mrjn 2009-07-13 20:47:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I run ffxi on my new macbook. Bootcamp may be a hassle accessing but runs the game much better then my old Dell laptop ever could. I dont even notice a change in performance unplugged, which of course has led me to have my mac run out of battery and me Dcing lolol.
 Ramuh.Shadowarrior
user: lilaznkru
By Ramuh.Shadowarrior 2009-07-13 20:55:19
Link | Quote | Reply

hmmm wine looks a bit complicated... but my imac 24" runs ffxi beautifully in bootcamp. but on the otherhand i run bootcamp in windows full time on my imac simply because of ffxi. if wine was easier to use maybe id switch back?
 Bahamut.Atrithk
Server: Bahamut
user: Atrithk
By Bahamut.Atrithk 2009-07-13 20:55:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Run FFXI in wine, takes a bit of tinkering.
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-07-14 05:48:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Shadowarrior said:
hmmm wine looks a bit complicated... but my imac 24" runs ffxi beautifully in bootcamp. but on the otherhand i run bootcamp in windows full time on my imac simply because of ffxi. if wine was easier to use maybe id switch back?
Just from this comment I'd still say give Wine a shot considering you won't need to buy a Windows install, and considering how much people play FFXI it'd be pretty lame if you had to run Windows 90% of the time. lol At that point why bother dropping the $$$ for a Mac. :|
 Ramuh.Shadowarrior
By Ramuh.Shadowarrior 2009-07-14 05:51:37
Link | Quote | Reply

well... macs are pretty! :) and alot of people have a copy of windows... pretty standard imo. Is it stable to run it in wine? from what i read its pretty complicated to run wine, its all DOS type commands and terminal... (NOOoooooo not again...)
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-07-14 06:08:13
Link | Quote | Reply

They are pretty and Mac OS is sexy! Hence the urge to actually get to use it, yano? lol It is Unix afterall, though, so dealing with the Bash shell is probably to your benefit over time.

Taken from this page, which seems to give a very good impression of stability: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2739- These directions seem fairly short and straight-forward. D:

Quote:
HOWTO - Final Fantasy XI: The Vana'diel Collection 2008

Introduction

This HOWTO will help you get Final Fantasy XI setup on your machine using "The Vana'diel Collection 2008" retail package, or equivalent media. Here you will also find a guide to get the PlayOnline Viewer running. This HOWTO is complete to the best knowledge of its creators, however, there may be some errors that have not been resolved.

Please note that in order to run this game, you will most likely NEED the proprietary drivers for your graphics card(s). Open-source drivers are known to have problems with 3D rendering, and may render many things incorrectly or slowly. Please bear this in mind when submitting test results, as well.

Installation

* Insert "The Vana'diel Collection 2008" dvd into your dvd drive.
* In a terminal session, type in "wine /path/to/dvdrom/PlayOnline/setup.exe".
* From here, you will be guided by a setup wizard. Choosing all defaults is acceptable.
* After the PlayOnline Viewer is finished installing, click finish on the wizard if you haven't done so already.
* Type in "cd/path/to/dvdrom/INST1" to go into the install directory for Final Fantasy XI.
* Type in "wine setup.exe".
* A wizard will appear that will guide you through setting up Final Fantasy XI. Again, choosing all defaults is acceptable.
* After installation is complete for Final Fantasy XI, you may be given a choice to restart your machine. Choose "No, I will restart my machine later" and click finish.
* From here, type in "cd/path/to/dvdrom/INST2".
* Follow the wizard for setting up Rise of the Zilart, choosing all defaults, and selecting to restart your computer later, if prompted.
* Type in "cd/path/to/dvdrom/INST4".
* Follow the wizard for setting up Treasures of AhtUrhgan, choosing all defaults, and selecting to restart your computer later if prompted.
* Type in "cd/path/to/dvdrom/INST5".
* Follow the wizard for setting up Wings of the Goddess, choosing all defaults, and selecting to restart your computer later if prompted.
* You may now umount your installation media. Be sure to store it in a safe place.

Configuring/Updating/Running

* You will need a copy of dxdiagn.dll from an actual Windows XP installation. Copy it over to your wine's system32 folder any way you see fit.
* Type in "wine regsvr32 C:\\windows\\system32\\dxdiagn.dll".
* Type in "winecfg".
* On the Applications tab, click "Add Application".
* Navigate to C:\Program Files\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewerPlayOnlineViewer\ and select pol.exe, then click "Open".
* Highlight pol.exe in the Application List, then click the Libraries tab.
* Select dxdiagn from the drop-down box on that tab, and click "Add".
* Select dxdiagn from the list below and click "Edit".
* Select "native (Windows)" and click OK. then click Apply.
* Here the PlayOnline Viewer will be updated. Follow the instructions to update the viewer.
* After PlayOnline Viewer is updated, the viewer will ask you to click next to restart it. Do so, and PlayOnline Viewer Should restart.
* Once logged in, you may run Final Fantasy XI. It will be updated upon running them for the first time, this is the perfect opportunity to eat some cheesecake, because the initial update could take hours.
* Once the update has completed, Final Fantasy XI should launch with your desired settings.
* Go to a heavily populated area, and type "/sh Final Fantasy XI Runs In Linux!!" into Final Fantasy, and press Enter
 Hades.Kvazz
Server: Hades
user: kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2009-07-14 07:19:59
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI works in Wine now, Allso works in parallels, but i´m having minor bugs (macro-lines dont show when i hold alt or ctrl), works flawlessly in bootcamp.
[+]
 Ramuh.Carline
user: Carline
By Ramuh.Carline 2009-07-14 09:22:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I use VMWare w/XP on very low settings.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-07-14 09:27:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Carline said:
I'm pretty surprised that works. Never really thought a virtual machine would be practical for 3-D gaming. D: Beefy PC or just really low settings? Still decent FPS/playable and everything? ;o
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-14 09:29:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought MACs were just for show with ***to show for it.

Anyone got some numbers I can look at?
 Ramuh.Carline
By Ramuh.Carline 2009-07-14 09:41:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Caiyuo said:
Carline said:
I'm pretty surprised that works. Never really thought a virtual machine would be practical for 3-D gaming. D: Beefy PC or just really low settings? Still decent FPS/playable and everything? ;o

Looks way better than my PS2 and handles better. Laptop gets a little hot sometimes, so I had to buy a cooling pad. My MacBook Pro stats in profiler are:

Dual Core 2.5Ghz
512mb Video Card
4GB Ram
250GB Hard Drive
 Fenrir.Parak
By Fenrir.Parak 2009-07-14 09:45:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Vmware fusion is a beautiful Mac/Windows user. It allows you to open windows things up while on your mac operating system! Try it out!

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

I have bootcamp right now but I don't have FFXI for my Windows... So... Yeah
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-14 09:46:03
Link | Quote | Reply

those numbers look like they're in the regular set to operate FFXI. I'm still surprised MACs actually have that kinda power.
 Hades.Jonoki
Server: Hades
user: Jonoki
By Hades.Jonoki 2009-07-14 09:48:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I play ffxi on mac via bootcamp, the setup was easy to do even for a non computer person.
Runs just like windows, and in some cases is better than PC.

Selling my PC and buying a mac was the best thing i ever did.
 Ramuh.Carline
By Ramuh.Carline 2009-07-14 09:50:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Kungfuhustle said:
those numbers look like they're in the regular set to operate FFXI. I'm still surprised MACs actually have that kinda power.

Macs can get way faster than that. Look at the apple store. My laptop is outdated. I'm gonna get a new one in August.

How do you install wine for free??? All I see is this crossover thing that costs 50 dollars.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-07-14 10:27:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Carline said:
Kungfuhustle said:

Macs can get way faster than that. Look at the apple store. My laptop is outdated. I'm gonna get a new one in August.

How do you install wine for free??? All I see is this crossover thing that costs 50 dollars.

Wine is free software, Crossover is something completely different. Darwine is the most common version used on Mac.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-07-14 11:25:18
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as I understand, Codeweavers develops Wine along with some independent people as their open-source, free version of Crossover. Here's their own blurb on Crossover:
Quote:
CrossOver is a polished version of Wine provided by CodeWeavers. CrossOver makes it easier to use Wine and CodeWeavers provides excellent technical support to its users. All purchases of CrossOver are used to directly fund the developers working on Wine. So CrossOver is both a great way to get support in using Wine and to support the Wine Project. CodeWeavers provides fully functional trial versions of CrossOver.
Here are some links to get you started if you want to give this a shot, Carli:

http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX
http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Building
http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Installing

It may seem a little daunting at first, but if you can get through all the steps I'd think you'd very likely prefer it over the VM method, plus you'd have this giant Windows resource at your palms in case you run into other programs like this. Happy to help if you have questions as well; this stuff is fun! lol
 Fenrir.Parak
By Fenrir.Parak 2009-07-14 11:40:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Kind of off topic... But NO more stores (bestbuy, playntrade, even gamestop!?) sell FFXI in their stores anymore! I mean seriously... I want to go get it for my mac, but I don't want to order it online...
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-07-14 11:47:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Parak said:
Kind of off topic... But NO more stores (bestbuy, playntrade, even gamestop!?) sell FFXI in their stores anymore! I mean seriously... I want to go get it for my mac, but I don't want to order it online...
Have you ever used torrents before, Parak? I'll assume you already have an active account with FFXI since you're here, and if so all you need are the discs themselves instead of a full new purchase. D: If you don't have your originals, there are some active, healthy torrents available that will provide the .iso images for the discs.

If that in itself is confusing, I can try to help, but mainly I hate spending and by extension seeing others spend on stuff when they don't have to. lol
 Ramuh.Shadowarrior
By Ramuh.Shadowarrior 2009-07-14 12:35:16
Link | Quote | Reply

the only thing with parallels or vmfusionware is that its running TWO operating systems at once which is just a waste of resources that could have been allocated to running ffxi. ill look more into wine and maybe if i can grasp how to navigate it and what not ill consider trying it out. but what if some people have macros on windower... is it possible to use that in wine too?
 Asura.Celene
Server: Asura
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-07-14 14:04:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Parak said:

Tons of copies still around here, even at our EB Games/Game Stop. Hell, I think I saw it at Wal-Mart not too long ago. <.<
*mails you some*
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-07-14 14:06:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah... But that's Canada... >.>
First Page 2