users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Geomancer » [Dev] Geomancer: Merits
[Dev] Geomancer: Merits
 Ragnarok.Grimkitty
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Grimkitty 2013-06-12 20:14:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I would think for Group 1, the best to invest points into would be Dematerialize recast and maybe Life Cycle or Blaze of Glory recast. I only say those because I believe having Dematerialize up when you use Blaze of Glory with Life Cycle down would give you more chances to enhance the power of your luopans.

As for Group 2, Mend Halation and Radial Arcana seem like the more logical choices as for this group. Unforunately, I think that the use of these abilities are limited to certain situations and depending on which party are in or the range of these abilities.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-06-12 20:30:27
Link | Quote | Reply

The HP explosion ability is pretty decent, as long as it's not based on Luopan HP. If your Luopan is low on HP, it's probable that party members might have been recently hit with an AoE as well, so blowing up your luopan for an instant cure is pretty nice.
By Enuyasha 2013-06-12 20:38:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
The HP explosion ability is pretty decent, as long as it's not based on Luopan HP. If your Luopan is low on HP, it's probable that party members might have been recently hit with an AoE as well, so blowing up your luopan for an instant cure is pretty nice.
set a luopon down on the mages and BAM! Elixerga!
 Bismarck.Aselin
Server: Bismarck
user: Aselin
By Bismarck.Aselin 2013-06-12 20:44:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's see... going from my last post in Geo Observations
... Crossing out what we didn't get...

... And, highlighting what we got...
Bismarck.Aselin said: »
I was thinking that the merits that the job might get would probably be along the lines of:
  • Geomancy spells magic potency

• Geomancy spells magic accuracy

• Ecliptic Attrition recast time

• Other recast timer reduction merits

• Extend the HP or decrease the HP depletion rate of the Luopan

• Increase Luopan potency

• Tier IV -ra spells

• Magic attack and accuracy bonus to elemental -ra spells that ignores direction casted

• Increased radius of Luopan and Geomancy buffing spells.

I would hope GEO have the possible updates, adjustments and/or additions:
  • Ability to cast Luopan on any player.

• Ability to call and recall Luopan at will.

• An Auto-Refresh and/or Conserve MP trait would be great. *

• Tier III -ra spells

• Ability to cast two Luopans whether questable to enable it or added in an update. Each Luopan would have unique modes for them-- one for debuffing and the other for support.

• Newer Indi- and Geo- spells.

• Movement speed Geomancy Indi- spell like Mazurka for BRD. As long as you're near the Geomancer, you gain increased movement speed.

• Increased casting range for -ra spells.

* SE instead readjusted the levels when we get Conserve MP and Max MP traits.

Shiva.Rammza said: »
As it stands I would go with
Group 1:
5/5 Ecliptic Attrition/Lasting Emanation Recast and Dematerialize
Group 2:
5/5 Mend Halation and Radial Arcana

I'm going to go the same route with those merits. The two new merit JAs sound pretty useful, almost like Devotion and Martyr for WHM. We just have to sacrifice our Luopan to get something similar, but at the same time it's entire party, not single target like with Devotion and Martyr.
 Ragnarok.Bepe
By Ragnarok.Bepe 2013-06-12 20:51:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I would do 5/5 dematerialize for sure, but it would be hard for me to pick between full circle and ecliptic attrition.

Group2 is halation and arcana hands down 5/5 for me.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Tarusofo
user: Neptune
By Ragnarok.Tarusofo 2013-06-13 01:51:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just hoping Mend Halation and Radial Arcana are based on the max HP of the Luopan, and not its current HP. Otherwise it's going to be really shitty... >:

Definitely getting Dematerialize and Ecliptic Attrition/Lasting Emanation recasts.
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-06-13 01:58:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Enuyasha said: »
Quote:
Dematerialize Recast
Recast is reduced by 20 seconds per merit.
And the only thing that i can think of is a MUST 5/5 :<

Not exactly pleased with the merits...but meh, merits are hit and miss for all the jobs.
I would also do Ecliptic Attrition recast 5/5 since that's pretty much a 25%+ boost to your Luopan every 4:10 mins now
By Lyncath 2013-06-13 01:59:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
As it stands I would go with
Group 1:
5/5 Ecliptic Attrition/Lasting Emanation Recast and Dematerialize
Group 2:
5/5 Mend Halation and Radial Arcana

Sounds about right.
 Leviathan.Kincard
Server: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-06-13 02:18:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzacoatl said: »
Honestly? I don't see this to be a problem, since BRDs and CORs usually come far and few, knowing that they're the best buffers already. It's having options is what the big picture is. Yes, nothing will replace a BRD, but fill in for an absent COR? I think that's pretty reasonable, no?

If they improved GEO's melee buff abilities further all that would do is make the minmax groups rotate in all 3 jobs rather than replace CORs with GEOs when you don't have one available. They'd have to make buffs mutually exclusive if they want jobs to be replacements for each other.

I get the impression that they want GEOs to fire off spells as a secondary thought in a way similar to how often CORs fire their gun, probably explains the Prime Zeal merit.
By Puppetmaster 2013-06-13 02:21:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Why would you 5/5 dematerealize? If you're in a big fight where you need it, chances are by the time you use it, and the recast is up again, even with 5/5 merits, what you're fighting will already be long dead. From what I've noticed, anyway, most of the time when I use it, my luopon conveniently doesn't get hit by anything during the duration, so it was wasted anyway. I'd say 5/5 Full Circle and 5/5 Ecliptic/Lasting are the best bet. Blaze of Glory suffers from the same thing Dematerialize does, the recast even at 5/5 is not going to be short enough to allow you to use it more than once when it matters.
 Cerberus.Zyph
Server: Cerberus
user: Maerina
By Cerberus.Zyph 2013-06-13 03:58:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh boy now Dematerialize can be on an only 8.33 minute cooldown! Maybe the AF will do something more to help luopan survivability...

Puppetmaster said: »
Why would you 5/5 dematerealize? If you're in a big fight where you need it, chances are by the time you use it, and the recast is up again, even with 5/5 merits, what you're fighting will already be long dead. From what I've noticed, anyway, most of the time when I use it, my luopon conveniently doesn't get hit by anything during the duration, so it was wasted anyway. I'd say 5/5 Full Circle and 5/5 Ecliptic/Lasting are the best bet. Blaze of Glory suffers from the same thing Dematerialize does, the recast even at 5/5 is not going to be short enough to allow you to use it more than once when it matters.

I'm guessing you've never been placed in the tank party in a delve farm run?
[+]
By Puppetmaster 2013-06-13 09:23:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I have, but what does that question have to do with anything? The fact remains that having dematerealize available a few seconds earlier isn't going to help. It doesn't last very long, anyway. It's a crapshoot whether or not your luopon will be taking damage during the short duration. A lot of the times you can use it and it'll wear off before any kind of remotely threatening AoE is used, and you're not psychic so you can't predict when it'll go off.
 Lakshmi.Cledant
Server: Lakshmi
user: Latifah
By Lakshmi.Cledant 2013-06-13 09:55:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ecliptic Attrition Recast/ full circle @ cat 1
Radial Arcana/Job Trait: Cure Recant @ cat 2 for me

The rest it's just a bunch of useless stuff that reduces recasting for 10 mins abilities. It's not needed, unlike rdm convert merits.
 Bismarck.Ariyon
user: Ariyon
By Bismarck.Ariyon 2013-06-14 12:08:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I have, but what does that question have to do with anything? The fact remains that having dematerealize available a few seconds earlier isn't going to help. It doesn't last very long, anyway. It's a crapshoot whether or not your luopon will be taking damage during the short duration. A lot of the times you can use it and it'll wear off before any kind of remotely threatening AoE is used, and you're not psychic so you can't predict when it'll go off.

Fracture NMs spam ridiculous amounts of AoE, so much so that luopans simply cannot survive very long. (Super disappointed in the Life Cycle merits btw. I mean, reduced recast? Where the hell is my increased HP recovery?) Having access to Dematerialize earlier means we're not recasting them as often, thereby saving a little bit of MP.
[+]
 Bismarck.Diablosword
By Bismarck.Diablosword 2013-06-17 10:31:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I have 8 merits to put unto geo's magic category. Would it be better, worst, or the same to put 8 into Geo, 8 into handbell, or 4 into each?

I play BLM and BLU and don't want to take merits out of ele/enfeeb/blu.
By Puppetmaster 2013-06-17 12:19:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Another problem with Dematerealize is that for some stupid reason, it can be dispelled from the Luopon. If something casts Dispelga, it's gone.

As for merits, I think you have to be 8/8 in each for the next tier, until they add gear with +geomancy or +handbell skill
4/8 in each or 8/8 in one, however, is exactly the same (geomancy skill and handbell skill are interchangeable)
 Ragnarok.Garota
user: Garota
By Ragnarok.Garota 2013-07-08 15:16:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Actual GEO merits are here finally and I don't know what to spend them on... :( Wish I coulda merited some abilities to buff up Indicolure spells... Oh well...
 Phoenix.Morier
Server: Phoenix
user: Morier
By Phoenix.Morier 2013-07-08 15:19:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Another problem with Dematerealize is that for some stupid reason, it can be dispelled from the Luopon. If something casts Dispelga, it's gone.

As for merits, I think you have to be 8/8 in each for the next tier, until they add gear with +geomancy or +handbell skill
4/8 in each or 8/8 in one, however, is exactly the same (geomancy skill and handbell skill are interchangeable)
Cant be dispelled anymore

The following issues have been rectified:
The issue wherein the effect of Dematerialize on a luopan would be negated by Dispel and other such spells
[+]
 Sylph.Organic
Server: Sylph
user: Organic
By Sylph.Organic 2013-07-08 18:56:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Im pretty nonplussed at the merits for GEO...all look pretty lackluster at the face of it and SE really had a chance to put something together very cool. Im ready to be proven wrong though. That being said, I think i'll do the MP/HP restore 5/5 and Ecliptic attrition and BoG at 5/5 as those two will make the GEO buffs stronger. FWIW
 Sylph.Dasanuffadat
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Dasanuffadat 2013-07-08 22:42:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going 5/5 Ecliptic Attrition, 5/5 Life Cycle, 5/5 Mending Halation, 5/5 Radial Arcana.

Considering doing Blaze of Glory instead of Life Cycle so I could maybe use it one more time in Delve but IDK, seem to run outta MP especially if I feel like nuking. Might be nice to extend the life of an Ecliptic'd luopan.
 Ragnarok.Crunkie
user: Crunkie
By Ragnarok.Crunkie 2013-08-06 16:08:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Has the GEO community come to a conclusion on what is best to merit?
By Presidentmerman 2013-08-06 16:46:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I did BoG Ecliptic in Group 1 group 2 Mending and Radical. Seems to be just dandy
 Ragnarok.Illumin
user: sylvanica
By Ragnarok.Illumin 2013-08-06 17:58:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I have mine 5/5 Full Circle and Ecliptic for group one, though after talking with some GEO friends I may move it to Dematerialize or Blaze of Glory. The main problem I have with meriting those is this scenario:

Delve boss!
All right, I'm going to start with some awesome buffs so we get some stuns off!
Blaze of Glory -> Geo-Languor -> Life Cycle -> Dematerialize!

And then 3-4 minutes later I'll probably do a Geo-Languor with Ecliptic because it won't last the entire duration anyway.

Then.. okay, Dematerialize or Life Cycle or Blaze of Glory comes up 1:40 sooner. I don't want to use them until one of the others comes up. Blaze of Glory without Life Cycle and Dematerialize is going to end in tears.

HALP!
 Ragnarok.Illumin
By Ragnarok.Illumin 2013-08-06 18:00:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Alternatively, I suppose I could do the unthinkable and do 1 in Blaze of Glory, 2 in both of the other ones. That way I have a bit more leeway when I do Blaze of Glory and I don't have to spam my Dematerialize or Life Cycle macros.
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-08-06 22:23:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Illumin said: »
Delve boss!
You ought to be doing Bolster with Geo-Frailty on the Delve Boss instead of wasting Dematerialize on Geo-Languor.

I currently have 5/5 Dematerialize because I like to have my MP high and I'll use it on other NMs before the Delve Boss, and 5/5 Ecliptic Attrition I might swap out to 5/5 Life Cycle now that it's changed to 20 seconds per point.

For Group 2's I have 5/5 Radial Arcana, which is handy if my Luopan's still up after the NM dies, and I'm planning to put the rest of my 3 merits into 4/5 Curative Recantation, especially when I need HP but don't want to have to use Cure on myself. 1/5 Mending Halation for ***like Reives where I can spam-cure everyone with it
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-08-06 22:31:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Use Indi-Languor over the Geo version. Don't want any stuns to go off in the few seconds the luopan is down.
By Enuyasha 2013-08-06 22:36:00
Link | Quote | Reply

5/5 Ecliptic/dematerialize: for the ecliptic function more often and dematerialize is more nifty to have sooner i think :<

5/5 mending and radial. Cure IV and Devotion are the best in that category i think personally, since i dont intend to nuke on GEO and i rarely actually use Full Circle for anything but to drop a new Luopan :<
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-08-06 22:51:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Use Indi-Languor over the Geo version. Don't want any stuns to go off in the few seconds the luopan is down.
Depending on the NM, a GEOx2 setup with one using Geo-Languor shouldn't be much of a problem if your GEOs have very fast reaction time (like I do), and if the stunners have Indi-Focus to cover them for a while. But regardless, if your luopans aren't up within 2-4 seconds of casting, especially when the Boss is nearly ready to do a TP Move needing stunned, there's definitely some issues going on with your GEOs
 Ragnarok.Illumin
By Ragnarok.Illumin 2013-08-07 00:50:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Delve boss!
You ought to be doing Bolster with Geo-Frailty on the Delve Boss instead of wasting Dematerialize on Geo-Languor.

Whoops, I misspoke, I meant just a delve NM, say the raptor. I do save dematerialize for the bolster'd Frailty.

More to my point is this: what good is going 5/5 Dematerialize if I only use it with Bolster / Blaze of Glory?
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-08-07 13:42:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Delve boss!

Whoops, I misspoke, I meant just a delve NM, say the raptor. I do save dematerialize for the bolster'd Frailty.

More to my point is this: what good is going 5/5 Dematerialize if I only use it with Bolster / Blaze of Glory?
Ah, that makes more sense lol. Foret NMs go down extremely fast, and I'm in the backline for those NMs, so I don't usually bother with that strategy. I would be doing it mainly in Morimar and Ceizak where NMs tend to have a little more endurance.

As for Dematerialize, If you keep your timers in check, you won't have too many issues Luopan get killed in two shots by AoEs. It'll save some MP for a good while, too. Like I said, I mainly use this in Morimar and Ceizak, for the same reasons. Additionally, I have to Danger GEO there as well, so it helps when my MP is getting challenged.