Router + Xbox360 problem
First Page 2
 Asura.Krebons
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Krebons
By Asura.Krebons 2009-06-23 09:04:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Wired ftw. i had that same issue had to run a 150ft cable from downstairs to upstairs.
 Bahamut.Hedadeda
Server: Bahamut
user: Hedadeda
By Bahamut.Hedadeda 2009-06-23 09:10:22
Link | Quote | Reply

You either have to get a router that raches a farther distance or move it somwhere closer man
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-23 09:14:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Depending on your router, there may be a setting in the firmware that allows you to boost the signal strength. If not, check out Tomato Firmware...it's a third party firmware that, in my experiences, beats the ***out of the garbage Linksys firmware that was on my WRT54G router. I used to have similar issues, but kicked the broadcast strength up about 50% and now my signal is rock solid.

I will warn you that Tomato doesn't work for every router out there, obviously precludes ever getting support from the manufacturer again, and, while pretty easy to use, does involving flashing your router's firmware and potentially bricking it if you *** up, so use it at your own risk...
 Asura.Krebons
By Asura.Krebons 2009-06-23 09:17:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I ran it around the house, up on the cieling in the corner, used 1" staples and rran it through the staples :D
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-06-23 09:22:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ethernet ftw ^^ I have both but never use the wireless on xbox unless I was travelling. It really depends what you are doing on the connection, if you have multiple PC's running on the internet at same time and other consoles attached to the connection it will slow it down in connection.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-23 09:23:19
Link | Quote | Reply

If he has the capability to hardwire, he should anyways. It's more stable of a connection...

However, I don't think it's gonna do much to help you...the antenna's on your router put out radio waves, two cars sitting next to each other listening to the same radio station aren't going to make the signal weaker for each other, it's gonna be equally strong no matter how many cars are sitting there...

Number of receivers don't matter...it's the number of devices using the connection simultaneously that is the thing, and honestly that's just an issue of bandwidth usage, I've yet to really bog down a network with lots more devices then that...
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-06-23 09:29:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I have my laptop wireless, PC,Xbox on ethernet. But if I run xbox, pc with 2 windowers, and also using the internet on my laptop, I get super lagged.

The only difference with radio, is that radio is just a wave you catch through your car, you can't go downloading or browsing on sites or something from a radio signal than a internet connection off a router from your home. And they have many towers to help with that radio signal. If all his roommates stuff is also connected and being used on same connection at same time itll cause lag and frequent disconnects. Imo
 Bahamut.Rumaha
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-06-23 09:31:55
Link | Quote | Reply

probably not i think they make 75 fts... but 100 ft is always good u can do more with it and not be so restricted
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-06-23 09:35:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I used a 50 ft in my dad's house which was enough. You can get them at Walmart for those lengths, if your house is big and the router is far through multiple rooms I'd say 75-100 ft too.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-06-23 09:35:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Cat6 is wtg i think 150ft to much that also seems to much for that lol
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-06-23 09:39:00
Link | Quote | Reply

My suggestion to you my chocolate milk suggesting friend :p
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-23 09:39:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Alyria said:
If all his roommates stuff is also connected and being used on same connection at same time itll cause lag and frequent disconnects. Imo

Yeah, but the lag has nothing to do with the wireless signal strength, it's from multiple devices using the network simultaneously. You could connect 50 laptops to a network wirelessly, and at X feet your connection will be X strength regardless of how many devices are connected. It isn't like the antenna "sucks in" the signal or anything lol

And wow, I have like 3 times the devices you guys have and hardly ever get lag compared to y'all...three cheers for my Linksys Router!!!

Also, if you can go hardwired, go hardwired. No matter what. Spend the money, the only reason I'm NOT hardwired is cuz I physically can't. If I had the option I would be...hardwired obviously beats out wireless hands down for signal stability.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-06-23 09:47:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea but depends what you are doing on the connection like I said before lol. If you have computers downloading music and movies on one, updating or something else on another, playing games on multiple ones all at same time, it can happen to lag.
 Asura.Krebons
By Asura.Krebons 2009-06-23 09:50:36
Link | Quote | Reply

well, if you want it to be neat and such, like i did and not have wires on the ground and such, you gonna want an extra ~25ft to play with, i ended up when i was done with like 52~ feet at the end, but i was running from downstairs living room through kitchen through den up stairs then into room so ya
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-23 09:52:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Well yeah, if his roomies are torrenting and ***while he plays, I kinda figured that would be obviously lag inducing.

(But honestly, I've had Shareaza running full bore in the other room hard wired and NOT had issues with my wireless connection as far as FFXI goes. So I really think the router has a lot to do with it)

As far as Xbox gaming...my bro is on XBL CONSTANTLY while I play FFXI, and I also never have lag issues. Only when he's downloading game demos through XBL, then I'll get crushed with lag...but simple multiplayer gaming doesn't *** me up at all.

Like I said, my router must just be better then you guys or something...

Also...are you guys forwarding ports? Everything that I can forward I do, I find that helps keep things running smooth...
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-06-23 10:06:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Used wired, if your playing anything like Halo or GOW or anything that requires quick reactions, wireless will kill your ***.

Also, Cat cables are pretty easy to make, and you can go to like a radio shack and just pull it off a spool and cap it yourself, if you want a length that isn't pre-made.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-06-23 10:10:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Well yeah, if his roomies are torrenting and ***while he plays, I kinda figured that would be obviously lag inducing.

(But honestly, I've had Shareaza running full bore in the other room hard wired and NOT had issues with my wireless connection as far as FFXI goes. So I really think the router has a lot to do with it)

As far as Xbox gaming...my bro is on XBL CONSTANTLY while I play FFXI, and I also never have lag issues. Only when he's downloading game demos through XBL, then I'll get crushed with lag...but simple multiplayer gaming doesn't *** me up at all.

Like I said, my router must just be better then you guys or something...

Also...are you guys forwarding ports? Everything that I can forward I do, I find that helps keep things running smooth...

FFXI just isn't a very connection heavy game. People somehow used to and I guess some still do play it on dial up connection. If you have ever played next to someone you will also see that the game has a fair bit of lag correction built in. So most connections that don't suck all *** should be able to handle ffxi with most other applications.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-06-23 10:16:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
Used wired, if your playing anything like Halo or GOW or anything that requires quick reactions, wireless will kill your ***.

Also, Cat cables are pretty easy to make, and you can go to like a radio shack and just pull it off a spool and cap it yourself, if you want a length that isn't pre-made.

Yeah, really not to hard to make ur own if u wanna go ahead an measure the length u will need.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-06-23 10:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Row, when using wireless connection, the higher the receiver, the stronger the signal. I know, it sounds weird, but it works. Both my 360 and my computer run on wireless, and both of them sit on high points in my room. I have four access points, two right in front my apartment, and the other two across the complex.

Try it...
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-06-23 10:50:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Might be a potentially cheaper solution, but try googling "cantenna" for wireless routers. It's not a wired solution, it's simply a cheap D.I.Y. method for strengthening a signal. If not, along with what #2 said about Tomato, you can also try DD-WRT for your router, but you'd need to check to see if your router's compatible before-hand if you wanted to try, otherwise it could brick yo'***. lol
 Remora.Ninian
Server: Remora
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-06-23 11:21:07
Link | Quote | Reply

There's such thing as wireless bridges, it extends your signal. Unfortunately some bridges don't work with certain routers, etc. I've personally never got it to work, but I know it can. I just grabbed a giant ethernet cord and plugged myself in. D: (Also sleepy, sorry if I'm speaking nonsense)
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-06-23 11:34:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ninian said:
There's such thing as wireless bridges, it extends your signal. Unfortunately some bridges don't work with certain routers, etc. I've personally never got it to work, but I know it can. I just grabbed a giant ethernet cord and plugged myself in. D: (Also sleepy, sorry if I'm speaking nonsense)

you speaketh teh truth Nini lol
First Page 2