For the Shinies! A Guide for Thief
First Page 2 3 ... 244 245 246 ... 261 262 263
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-07-11 10:02:18
Link | Quote | Reply

It can't proc on a TH/enspell/samba (obviously)

Chat log fails, likely.
 Fenrir.Melphina
Server: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-07-11 10:06:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Following up, I just played with the thing for a good half hour. Lowest TP drain return I noticed was 15, highest was 95. The lows and highs do balance out to a median around 55 tp when the proc activates though. So for calculation purposes

Proc rate - Only procs on first hit, cannot proc on multi attacks. Proc rate based on your magic accuracy/ mobs magic evasion
Average TP drain activation rate -- 10%
Average tp drained when proc -- 55

If you want a rough estimate to gauge the effect against store tp, there ya go.
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-07-11 10:09:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
It can't proc on a TH/enspell/samba (obviously)

Chat log fails, likely.

No, what I'm seeing is multi attacks. It only procs on the first swing of a triple attack round. It doesn't activate on the extra swings of multi attack round is all. You can see this is a triple attack right here, and it only procced on the first swing.

Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2021-07-11 10:18:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Try it on mobs with high magic evasion or dark resistance, like Powercrazed Dvergrs, to see if can be resisted.
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-07-11 10:21:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Try it on mobs with high magic evasion or dark resistance, like Powercrazed Dvergrs, see if you get a lower proc rate.

I can try it on mobs with higher magic evasion, but dveragrs are a bad target. Undead are immune to all drain effects and the twilight knife is no exception. Its impossible to drain TP from a skeleton. Can you think of a better example that has high dark resistance but inst undead? I wouldn't mind playing around with it more.... for science. ya know.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2021-07-11 10:30:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Dvergrs are demons, not undead.
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-07-11 10:34:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, that's a derpy moment. I was thinking of Draugers. I never spent much time in inner ra-khaz so I actually had to look up where that camp was. I'll have to go try it out.

Also it looks like there's an even distribution on the tp drain within its range. Minimum Tp drain is 10, maximumum is 100. So average tp drained comes out to 55 per hit.
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-07-11 10:46:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, I tested the effect out on some gargouiles, which are also dark based. I got 4 procs in about 80 swings. So elemental affinity and magic/accuracy evasion definitely do play a role here. It's certainly NOT 100% proc rate.

Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-07-11 10:49:34
Link | Quote | Reply

That really ruins it, still fine just nothing special

Based on macc explains why not 100% still has a 5% floor, back then macc didn't really exist and mobs weren't stacked with 500 stat and 12000 meva
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-07-11 11:24:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried to determine roughly what point the magic accuracy/evasion might come into play. In escha-ruan I got nearly a 100% proc rate on phaubo trash with our glass cannon tp build, but when I tried it out on resinjima trash the proc rate was guttered. I tried it out on the bees by the entrance, and they're aligned with wind, so there isn't any special resistance to dark effects here. Then I equipped 5/5 malignance and the proc rate spiked hard.... up to the 90-95% range. This was single wielding just the twilight knife. I'm pretty sure if I was dual wielding with an Ilvl mainhand the extra magic accuracy skill would have been enough to push the glass cannon build into high proc rates too.

More than likely the end result will be that the effect procs against non-dark aligned trash mobs, but might be less reliable on NMs. We'll just have to see.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2021-07-11 11:52:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Reisenjima bees are actually darkness aligned, IIRC. They're unique, with their own darkness damage conal WS.
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-07-11 11:58:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Fair enough. That only further solidifies that the magic accuracy/evasion probably won't be a major factor outside Nms. The Ilvl dagger will have 255 magic accuracy of its own, so the bulk of things we end up fighting should proc just fine.

What does a 10% tp drain rate that averages out to 55 TP drained equate to in terms of store tp? That would be the way to convert the effect into something pretty equivalent for mathing the dagger out.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-07-11 11:59:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Mosquitos, yeah, darkness, you can see they resist leaden salutes
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2021-07-11 12:11:28
Link | Quote | Reply

10% chance of 55 TP means average of 5.5 TP per Twilight non-multi attack swing.

If you have say, 50% TA (I have no idea what's normal for THF these days), 0% QA and DA, and are offhanding it, you would average 4 hits per round, of which one of them can proc TP drain, which itself has a 10% chance of TP draining.

55 TP * 10% * 1/4 = average of 1.38 bonus TP per swing.

Assuming 50% TA, capped magic/gear haste, 6 DW in gear, with Twashtar/Twilight, that'd be worth about 2.8 STP, while with Naegling/Twilight, that'd be worth about 2.4 STP.
By SimonSes 2021-07-11 12:22:40
Link | Quote | Reply

You can't have 0%QA with 5%QA dagger :)
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2021-07-11 12:30:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah whatever, didn't feel like complicating the calculation :P
[+]
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-07-11 12:49:48
Link | Quote | Reply

It's close enough for a general assessment. It's the same as how I compared the 3% charisma bonus to just adding 10 dex to rudra's storm without the charisma mod. The effect will be almost the same. It's easiest to just round it up and say the effect is worth about 3 sTP and be done with it. That should be enough to put it ahead of ternion +1, but still be somewhere in the range between R0 and R20 gleti's. All in all, it's a pretty impressive dagger.
By DaneBlood 2021-07-12 13:50:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone have a asuran fist set ( for blunt dmg) ?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-07-12 14:31:46
Link | Quote | Reply

It would just be 5/5 highest attack stuff you can get.

5/5 relic+3 5/5 meg+2 5/5 gleti with both fotia and whatever rings/earrings you have with str/attack on em
 Asura.Silvannesti
By Asura.Silvannesti 2021-07-30 17:34:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Where do the new Odyssey pieces fit into thf's Evis set, with Tauret and Gleti offhand.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2021-07-30 17:53:47
Link | Quote | Reply

PDL generally will be very slightly stronger than critical hit damage in super buff situations. This is because THF has a higher base crit damage bonus than it will PDL.

Without doing any math, I'd say legs and body are pretty solid for attack cap. head/hands are probably pretty competitive with Adhemar Head/Hands (if going for set bonus). Feet should be BIS at attack cap. Don't take anything I just said as gospel though, I'm sure someone has mapped it out.
 Asura.Otomis
By Asura.Otomis 2021-08-09 12:03:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello fellow Thf's,

Question about attack cap. I mainly solo Omen farming for Gil.
I am trying to understand how I know if my attack is capped? IF you using trusts Qultada uses Chaos roll and I eat Grape Daifuku when soloing Omen. Is attack capped in this situation and should I be using attack capped Rudra's set? The rest of my gear is BiS just not sure what to use for WS.
 Asura.Bippin
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2021-08-09 12:30:46
Link | Quote | Reply

To be honest for trash in omen if your sets are BiS a WS should one shot everything regardless if you use attacked cap or uncapped WS set. But I would guess you are not capped.
Bosses will not be capped with just chaos roll from qultada.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-08-09 12:32:37
Link | Quote | Reply

That's a good question that entirely too few people actually know the correct answer to.

Qultada and food are not capping your attack.

How does one "know", you really don't without know knowing. You never hit a constant value in actual attacks.
[+]
 Asura.Otomis
By Asura.Otomis 2021-08-09 12:37:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I see, a single unstacked Rudra's does ~20k which is nearly all the mobs HP. guessing it does not matter as much since I have to take a lot of HP to get next 1k TP. Thanks all.
By SimonSes 2021-08-09 12:51:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Its a matter of experience. 20k is far from attack cap for example.
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-08-09 13:11:23
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're soloing omen for gil and your only buffs are from trusts, then you're never at attack cap.
[+]
By Crossbones 2021-08-09 15:50:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Try using the tp bonus dagger in your offhand, that should increase your damage by a lot (if you aren't already using it).
 Asura.Bippin
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2021-08-09 20:14:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Crossbones said: »
Try using the tp bonus dagger in your offhand, that should increase your damage by a lot (if you aren't already using it).
He don’t need gear suggestions already using BiS. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 Asura.Otomis
By Asura.Otomis 2021-08-09 21:44:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Did not consider a TP bonus off hand dagger, only going by gear sets on BG and ffxiah for gear sets. Never considered that. will try it out.
First Page 2 3 ... 244 245 246 ... 261 262 263