Relic vs empyrean as for as difficulty
First Page 2
 Shiva.Tedril
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2013-02-12 13:00:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Given how my last thread turned out let me start with I'm a noob. And I dont mean to argue I just want to figure things out... Now, my question is how hard are relics these days? They use to be somewhat rare and now are not at all. In particular I was looking at aegis/ochain and rag/calad. Weighing the strengths vs the difficulty due to that in married and have 50 hour work weeks at minimum.
 Lye
By Lye 2013-02-12 13:05:27
Link | Quote | Reply

What is your question?

You wish to have "difficulty" quantified?

Umm....

Aegis = 38 difficulties
Ochain = 40 difficulties

Rag = 34 difficulties
Calad = 39 difficulties

Now for the strengths:

Aegis = 32 strengths
Ochain = 34 strengths

Rag = 51 strengths
Calad = 28 strengths

Seriously though.... there are so many factors to determine "how hard" something is and how "strong" something is.

Clarify your question like this:

"Being a solo character (no dual box) that's able to make 2 mil gil/week, which of the following is the most feasible to obtain? Given that I like to play these jobs and do these events, which of the following will fulfill my playstyle the best?"
[+]
 Shiva.Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2013-02-12 13:08:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I currently do not have a dualbox, though my rl friend does have whm and often helps out, my monk and him can duo most things. I am working on a vere so that'll make things easier for sure. Also I am not in a static and probably don't have time to be in one just a random event ls.
 Shiva.Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2013-02-12 13:10:47
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as money I havnt made much, but I'm sure I could sell drops and leech xp spots (given I make Alot of xp parties) things like that.
 Lye
By Lye 2013-02-12 13:11:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry, you got hit pretty hard in that other thread.

It's cool that your pumped to play and you have lofty goals.
[+]
 Cerberus.Ezeichiel
Server: Cerberus
user: ezeichiel
By Cerberus.Ezeichiel 2013-02-12 13:16:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Calad is extremely easy to make, even with a heavy work week and wife aggro soloing would take 2 months at the longest, that being said 90 calad is maybe 4th best gs for drk. Ochain and aegis are closer in how long they take because souls can take a while to solo, but its easier to get help farming souls than have people hand over currency.
 Shiva.Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2013-02-12 13:21:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Lye said: »
Sorry, you got hit pretty hard in that other thread.

It's cool that your pumped to play and you have lofty goals.
Thanks bud lol
Cerberus.Ezeichiel said: »
Calad is extremely easy to make, even with a heavy work week and wife aggro soloing would take 2 months at the longest, that being said 90 calad is maybe 4th best gs for drk. Ochain and aegis are closer in how long they take because souls can take a while to solo, but its easier to get help farming souls than have people hand over currency.
So by it being 4th best do you mean rag is worth the extra time? I have 3 rl players that play with me and we all have an array of jobs also... So I'm not strictly soloing.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-02-12 13:22:04
Link | Quote | Reply

A relic is going to run you around 100mil gil (give or take a few mil depending on the relic). You can also collect the currency yourself by running Dynamis, which if done solo everyday for 2 hours, takes around 3 months time.

MNK + WHM could complete the plates and souls portion of an Ochain relatively easily but will be a waste of time once you need red proc for KIs (such as for Azdaja or Calad trials). For these, NIN + WHM or WAR + WHM would be more useful. Caladbolg items are some of the easiest to obtain though.
 Cerberus.Ezeichiel
user: ezeichiel
By Cerberus.Ezeichiel 2013-02-12 13:24:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes rag is worth the extra time, especially if you farm dynamis every day, calad pales in comparison to rag, when it comes to drk if you have the means to make a relic always choose making the relic over empy
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-02-12 13:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

What is your question?

Umm....

Aegis = 38 difficulties
Ochain = 40 difficulties

Rag = 34 difficulties
Calad = 39 difficulties

Having done multiple of all of the above: I would do 2-3 caladbolgs before doing any of the rest lol. I guess all of the above is situational based on who you are/who you play with/what kind of time you have too.

Still: *** iron giants and abyssea VNM3's
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-02-12 14:08:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
What is your question?

Umm....

Aegis = 38 difficulties
Ochain = 40 difficulties

Rag = 34 difficulties
Calad = 39 difficulties

Having done multiple of all of the above: I would do 2-3 caladbolgs before doing any of the rest lol. I guess all of the above is situational based on who you are/who you play with/what kind of time you have too.

Still: *** iron giants and abyssea VNM3's

You have to standardize difficulties.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2013-02-12 14:20:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
What is your question? You wish to have "difficulty" quantified? Umm.... Aegis = 38 difficulties Ochain = 40 difficulties Rag = 34 difficulties Calad = 39 difficulties
Having done multiple of all of the above: I would do 2-3 caladbolgs before doing any of the rest lol. I guess all of the above is situational based on who you are/who you play with/what kind of time you have too. Still: *** iron giants and abyssea VNM3's

ok, 2 hours = 1 difficulty.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-02-12 14:21:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
What is your question? You wish to have "difficulty" quantified? Umm.... Aegis = 38 difficulties Ochain = 40 difficulties Rag = 34 difficulties Calad = 39 difficulties
Having done multiple of all of the above: I would do 2-3 caladbolgs before doing any of the rest lol. I guess all of the above is situational based on who you are/who you play with/what kind of time you have too. Still: *** iron giants and abyssea VNM3's

Now convert to metric.
[+]
 Bahamut.Bekisa
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Bekisa 2013-02-12 14:26:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I really wanted to make a boolean math joke but decided not to. It's too early for me!

The bottom line here is make what you want to make and what you have the means to make. Rag is a good weapon, Cala is a good weapon. I personally didn't want to have to 2+ box everything so I made Rag since I could easily solo dynamis on three different jobs. Yes I can solo Cala too but I really didn't want to. Seeing the same NM's every day, on the same jobs every day... I'd have quit. With dynamis I changed things up, I never do the same zones, I swap mob types, and even swap proc types. In just about 2 months I finished Rag (combined with gil from other sources like VW and crafting).

I'm going to work on an Ochain or harp soon, but I may just pay mercs to do it. *** T3's just as Ashman said. You can be the best player on the server and get hit with shitty T2 > T3 upgrade rates, and then find yourself camping 1 T3 pop against an entire LS all night long. Then when you finally do get it, you get a single drop. Followed by 4 hours trying to upgrade your next trigger camping T2's against others. Yup ... screw those things.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-02-12 14:33:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Now convert to metric.

I think its already in metric, but he forgot level correction
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-02-12 14:38:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Bekisa said: »
I really wanted to make a boolean math joke but decided not to. It's too early for me! The bottom line here is make what you want to make and what you have the means to make. Rag is a good weapon, Cala is a good weapon. I personally didn't want to have to 2+ box everything so I made Rag since I could easily solo dynamis on three different jobs. Yes I can solo Cala too but I really didn't want to. Seeing the same NM's every day, on the same jobs every day... I'd have quit. With dynamis I changed things up, I never do the same zones, I swap mob types, and even swap proc types. In just about 2 months I finished Rag (combined with gil from other sources like VW and crafting). I'm going to work on an Ochain or harp soon, but I may just pay mercs to do it. *** T3's just as Ashman said. You can be the best player on the server and get hit with shitty T2 > T3 upgrade rates, and then find yourself camping 1 T3 pop against an entire LS all night long. Then when you finally do get it, you get a single drop. Followed by 4 hours trying to upgrade your next trigger camping T2's against others. Yup ... screw those things.

It seems the OP likes paladin. Not necessarily that he wants to do endgame or thinks he's got the time to invest in building an endgame paladin. Get a few friends together, build a caladbolg and have fun, the STR, OAT, and weaponskill damage GS's are also pretty solid if you want to spam resolution, and acceptable for DRK.

Disclaimer: not what I'd personally do if I chose to play PLD, but I think it fills his wants/needs and won't leave him out in the cold if he decided to take it to the next level.
 Asura.Zizek
Server: Asura
user: zizek
By Asura.Zizek 2013-02-12 14:47:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Almace is more useful that caladbolg for pld, but both are easy to make. At 2 mil a week, you're looking at over a year to make Ragnarok provided you buy all your currency or whatever. Not to mention an almace could help you farm dynamis for a Ragnarok. Simply put an empyrean is way easier to make than a relic and could definitely fit into a compromised schedule if you're busy in real life.
[+]
 Shiva.Damonz
user: Damonz
By Shiva.Damonz 2013-02-12 14:54:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ageis vs Ochain

both are great shield for different reasons, both will most likely take about the same time to complete. Ageis would (depending on your mindset and playtime) be less likely to drive you completely insane (but then I despise doing VNM's). But if you're serious about pld make both.

Rag vs cala it'll cost more to get cala to 99 than rag, and @99 Rag is better for 99% of content (I'm sure there's some situation where 99 cala will win). That being said, cala is very easy to make, Cara, CC, and Isge are all very easy to get pops for and all very easy to kill.
 Shiva.Bailiegrace
user: Bai
By Shiva.Bailiegrace 2013-02-12 15:02:15
Link | Quote | Reply

TLDR: Without paying for anything, it could take up to 10 months but should be less than a year whether you do an emp or relic.

I didn't see your other thread but I am in a similar position with IRL commitments.
Work+volunteer - 40 hours a week
Husband- countless hours of needs.
Friends- 1-2 invites per day, each week.
Gym- 6-18 hours a week.
Three vacations per year.
No dual box.

With a schedule like that; it took me 10 months to make a Dharp. (which has 2 similar stages to Ochain)
This was before they adjusted the drop rate. 60/75 of my C.Souls were single drops.

I gave myself a few months rest and started making a Dharp. I didn't buy any of the currency until the 4th stage and I didn't use a loan. I used my horribad whm for the first six months in Dyna-Xarc and went with friends up to 5 days a week. I didn't have a static or set time to go. I had one friend who went on either thf or ninja but that was the only thing consistent.

It wasn't until last summer that I geared up Ninja (with a mediocre Shun set) and started farming more efficiently in Dyna-Bub. I finished the Ghorn on 10.31.12, about 9-10 months after starting.
 Lye
By Lye 2013-02-12 15:57:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Now convert to metric.

I think its already in metric, but he forgot level correction

Logarithmic scale!
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2013-02-12 16:35:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't OAT GS better than cala? If this is all for PLD, don't bother with a GS.

The difficulty of making a relic is all in how much money you can make. If you can make a few million gil (of equivalent value in dyna-currency) per day, you can make a relic in 2-3 months. If you can't make money that fast it will take you a year or more.
 Cerberus.Smacksterr
By Cerberus.Smacksterr 2013-02-12 16:38:27
Link | Quote | Reply

It takes me on average 3-4 days of straight grinding to make an empy.
A day or so for the beginning stages NMs that are lottery spawns and then 2 or 3 days for the 50 and 50 items.

A relic takes a month or so to make at least unless you have all the money up front. If you have 100M to throw it only takes 2-3 days because I believe you have to wait for JPM at some points idr.

Now this isn't accounting for things like harp or Ochain which take a bit longer due to the nature of the trials.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2013-02-12 16:45:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Smacksterr said: »
A day or so for the beginning stages NMs that are lottery spawns and then 2 or 3 days for the 50 and 50 items.

A relic takes a month or so to make at least unless you have all the money up front. If you have 100M to throw it only takes 2-3 days because I believe you have to wait for JPM at some points idr.

Now this isn't accounting for things like harp or Ochain which take a bit longer due to the nature of the trials.

Takes well over a week to make a relic just because of wait timers!
 Lye
By Lye 2013-02-12 16:50:49
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Cerberus.Smacksterr
By Cerberus.Smacksterr 2013-02-12 17:01:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said: »

Yeah I've only made one in process of making 2nd, but never done fast enough to really know.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-02-12 17:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Kinda questioning the whole 1 day for pre Abby stages. I count a good 28 hours for lottery nm's if they pop exactly at the window, plus at least 4-5 hours for vnm's if you already have a colorful and it never changes.

Tldr: start to finish either weapon will take a solid week or two to be useable. Nice thing about a relic is you can spend the wait time building an emp!
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2013-02-12 17:07:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Tedril said: »
Given how my last thread turned out let me start with I'm a noob. And I dont mean to argue I just want to figure things out... Now, my question is how hard are relics these days? They use to be somewhat rare and now are not at all. In particular I was looking at aegis/ochain and rag/calad. Weighing the strengths vs the difficulty due to that in married and have 50 hour work weeks at minimum.

It takes me on average 3-4 days of straight grinding to make an empy. A day or so for the beginning stages NMs that are lottery spawns and then 2 or 3 days for the 50 and 50 items. A relic takes a month or so to make at least unless you have all the money up front. If you have 100M to throw it only takes 2-3 days because I believe you have to wait for JPM at some points idr. Now this isn't accounting for things like harp or Ochain which take a bit longer due to the nature of the trials.

I don't think this is the thread you are looking for.

there's probably one titled "OMGWHOHASTHEBIGGESTEPEEN"
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-02-12 17:09:53
Link | Quote | Reply

It takes me on average 3-4 days of straight grinding to make an empy. A day or so for the beginning stages NMs that are lottery spawns and then 2 or 3 days for the 50 and 50 items. A relic takes a month or so to make at least unless you have all the money up front. If you have 100M to throw it only takes 2-3 days because I believe you have to wait for JPM at some points idr. Now this isn't accounting for things like harp or Ochain which take a bit longer due to the nature of the trials.

Ya I'm thinking its the afk leech trials, must have all
mp85
[+]
 Cerberus.Smacksterr
By Cerberus.Smacksterr 2013-02-12 17:12:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya I'm thinking its the afk leech trials, must have all
mp85

That's kind of why this was said....
Anywho, fact of the matter is one is time and one is money.
 Cerberus.Smacksterr
By Cerberus.Smacksterr 2013-02-12 17:14:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Kinda questioning the whole 1 day for pre Abby stages. I count a good 28 hours for lottery nm's if they pop exactly at the window, plus at least 4-5 hours for vnm's if you already have a colorful and it never changes.

Tldr: start to finish either weapon will take a solid week or two to be useable. Nice thing about a relic is you can spend the wait time building an emp!

Does anyone know how to read or do I need to start typing at a kindergarten level?
First Page 2