Forum » FFXIV » Suggestions » Repairs
Repairs
Server: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-11 15:15:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Alyria said:
And say you got a party that lasted a few hours...Are you guys going to stop and say hey I gotta go repair my equipment real quick. I can imagine Monk breaking H2H weapon from Hundred Fists. >.>

Yeah, good point. Goodbye 2 hours, people won't wanna spend the gil fixing the extra damage it takes because of it lol
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-11 15:17:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Alyria said:
And say you got a party that lasted a few hours...Are you guys going to stop and say hey I gotta go repair my equipment real quick. I can imagine Monk breaking H2H weapon from Hundred Fists. >.>

Tbest said:
Bring a backup weapon? Even if the weapon isn't quite as good as your main... It's better than fighting with a broken weapon for minimal damage. =)
Or.. You just fix it in the field with your own skills.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-06-11 15:19:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Then that's - inventory, we all bitched about we want more inventory space, got a satchel, and now you wanna add more stuff to add in the inventory.

In ff14 we dont even know how much inventory we get as it is.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-11 15:20:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
Bring a backup weapon? Even if the weapon isn't quite as good as your main... It's better than fighting with a broken weapon for minimal damage. =)

For every 1 person that does that, there's gonna be 15 that don't. You know it's true, I know it's true.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-11 15:24:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:

It's hard enough to get people to bring equipment for when they lvl in the lower lvls when you know your going to and the difference in stats is rather remarkable
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-11 15:25:03
Link | Quote | Reply

And? No one says you need to associate with those people that don't. :P

Also... Who's to say how many inventory spaces we'll have? We could have 200 in our inv and 200 in a satchel-like inventory for all you know.
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-06-11 15:25:55
Link | Quote | Reply

"the xbox 360 just cant handle having more then 100 inventory spaces"
TT-TT
I see it now..
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-11 15:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:
It's hard enough to get people to bring equipment for when they lvl in the lower lvls when you know your going to and the difference in stats is rather remarkable

Yeah, no ***. Every person I see exping in the *** dunes/qufim/jungles wearing AF makes me die a little inside. And I See it quite a bit...

Honestly, it's disheartening. I've got 2 freaking gear mules, mage and melee, and they're full, even with maxed storage/safe. Peeps could put a little effort in, ya know?

And Tbest...I hope it works out for you, and you find a good group that gives a ***. I know you have one now, as do I...but you gotta admit, good players are definitely "diamonds in the rough", and it's gonna be even worse in a new game. Best of luck to ya ^^
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-11 15:31:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Hehehe. I'm bringing like 10 of my close in-game/irl friends with me to XIV. >.> So, I shouldn't have any issues with finding a group to do things with if I want one.
 Fairy.Obito
user: Obito
By Fairy.Obito 2009-06-11 15:54:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Alyria said:

Yeah, good point. Goodbye 2 hours, people won't wanna spend the gil fixing the extra damage it takes because of it lol

I can see it now:

"Use you Hundred Fists."

"Um no thanks, you know how much it is to repair a set of Destroyers..."

/equip main "Bronze Knuckles"
 Odin.Aramina
Server: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-06-11 16:12:19
Link | Quote | Reply

love how people conveniently ignoring the "r/e would have to be treated different than other stuff" I mentioned many times.

Srsly, it's a lot harder to get Destroyers than Bronze knuckles, and it would only make sense that they are a lot more durable. Perhaps r/e stuff even doesn't need to be repaired at all.

Again, that would make r/e stuff that much more special.

As for inventory, that system needs an overhaul, too. I'd again suggest going to something Elder Scrolls like where size/weight is more important than quantity. It's ridiculous that a Flytrap Leaf takes the same amount of inventory as an Algol. Make some of the HQ, R/E, Rare, and altogether spiffy stuff not only more durable, but make it lighter.

Part of what made Mythril so great in many tales was not only its strength, but that the strength came in a very light package.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-11 16:22:50
Link | Quote | Reply

*Nods.* Mythril ftw!

I like the NWN system as well. Each item not only takes up a certain # of squares in your inv (2 for bolts and such or ~8 for a large bow), but it also has weight. If you have a more heavy pack, your movement speed is reduced.

I also agree with the rare or rare/ex items being more durable than regular drops / crafted items.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2009-06-11 16:26:16
Link | Quote | Reply

SE already said they don't like this general idea in an FFXI interview. I'll try to find it.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-12 02:28:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
I'm on the fence about the whole armor repair things. Would be alot easier and more satisfying for everyone to not have to worry about another form of costly upkeep but, frankly I'm all for realism in a fantasy game. Otherwise it's just candy coated eye candy with no substance.

I too am on the fence now instead of being against the idea. After reading everyones thoughts (especially Aramina's in relation to Morrowwind) I think this idea has real potentil if done right.

The tools to repair weapons/armour could be akin to shihei, cheap and available in large quantities, or perhaps a whetstone that has 100 uses. Put limitations on the amount of damage weapons can take, so that for all those lazy *** who never repair, their armour/weapons will still be of some use.

Cheaper gear wears out faster. Repair should be very cheap, so that only cheap shitty gear ever gets thrown out instead of repaired. However, having people throw out cheap gear occasionally would open up a larger window for people trying to break into the crafting community.

Different weapons and armour types would take more or less damage depending on what you're fighting. If you're fighting bunnies, it doesn't matter a damn what weapon/armour you're using, you're not gonna take a lot of damage. However if you're fighting a pld in steel plate armour, your weapons will take a lot more. Metal armour will take more damage from blunt weapons than from slashing weapons (which also leads to being more effective against slashing than blunt), and the repair of some weapon types won't be as important as others. If you're using a great katana or sword, weapon upkeep is very important to keep a good edge on your sword. If you're using a great axe, it's not going to matter so much because you'll still cleave someones head in half with a blunt, notched up axe.

The main feature I think that would prevent this from sucking is never making anything useless from the damage it takes, and not having to spend a lot of money on repairing it.

I think it would be really good if you had to rotate your melee out of fighting in a merit party occasionally to hone their swords in order to keep going.

All in all, if done well, I think this idea could be really good. If done badly, I think it could suck majorly.