The Sealed Dagger: A Ninja Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 172 173 174 ... 253 254 255
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-01-15 15:36:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Nariont said: »
if you swap the ranged slot it will reset TP, only ammo allows swapping without TP loss. A BRD will still lose TP swapping instruments for songs
IC I stand corrected on that point. Still seems to be an interesting weapon.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-01-15 15:37:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Zelllo said: »
You do get access to the WS without /RNG btw.

Yea that's what I meant, was a typo. Corrected. heh
By Nariont 2020-01-15 15:38:33
Link | Quote | Reply

giving up daken kind of sucks and id sooner use shun over empyreal arrow myself, plus again you're giving up not only daken but any ammo swap whether it be for WS, defensive, or just plain shurikens
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-01-15 15:41:13
Link | Quote | Reply

giving up daken kind of sucks and id sooner use shun over empyreal arrow myself, plus again you're giving up not only daken but any ammo swap whether it be for WS, defensive, or just plain shurikens

Fair enough haha, wondering if there are some Niche setups though, i do suppose that losing our primary TP method (daken, melee swings) in favor of using this is pretty lack luster.
By Nariont 2020-01-15 15:43:44
Link | Quote | Reply

just not seeing it myself, same for THF, you're biggest benefit is a fusion WS and both those jobs have a more reliable/stronger WS via shun and mandallic stab, and have various ammo swaps, rdm is in the same boat in the swapping area, but not only is their fusion WS locked to relic, but being able to use emp arrow allows them to take full advantage of inundation by themselves so its a fairly reasonable trade off.
 Leviathan.Zelllo
user: Zelllo
By Leviathan.Zelllo 2020-01-15 15:49:38
Link | Quote | Reply

If you absolutely needed to make a max mag acc set and that was more important than daken for the given situation, then yeah, there's your niche setup. You could always switch back to shurikens after you landed whatever you needed to land. Perhaps your low-manning maju and your NIN is the blind?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-01-15 15:56:16
Link | Quote | Reply

A BRD will still lose TP swapping instruments for songs

This is only partly true. Bard will only lose TP by swapping instruments if they are different types. Ie horn to harp to flute etc. A Bard can cycle through several different Linos and not lose TP because it retains the same instrument type (which is why bards have several Linos for different Ws). The same holds true for ninja, it can swap through shuriken and never drop TP unless they change that ammo slot to ranged slot. But Ullr is merely a macc swap for debuffs on ninja.
[+]
By Nariont 2020-01-15 16:00:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
This is only partly true. Bard will only lose TP by swapping instruments if they are different types. Ie horn to harp to flute etc. A Bard can cycle through several different Linos and not lose TP because it retains the same instrument type (which is why bards have several Linos for different Ws)

Good to know, i just remember TP dropping when they did songs so i assumed it was just a general thing, never touched brd myself
By SimonSes 2020-01-15 16:08:49
Link | Quote | Reply

This is only partly true. Bard will only lose TP by swapping instruments if they are different types. Ie horn to harp to flute etc. A Bard can cycle through several different Linos and not lose TP because it retains the same instrument type (which is why bards have several Linos for different Ws). The same holds true for ninja, it can swap through shuriken and never drop TP unless they change that ammo slot to ranged slot. But Ullr is merely a macc swap for debuffs on ninja.

How the myths like that are born I have no idea. BRD can freely switch between ANY type of instrument without loosing TP. EDIT: And before you try to say it's a recent change, no it's not. I remember correcting someone saying the same thing in BRD thread like years ago.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-01-15 16:27:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Good correction. Couldn't remember since I swap weapons on my different instrument types on Bard
 Leviathan.Katriina
user: kate99
By Leviathan.Katriina 2020-01-16 02:35:45
Link | Quote | Reply

The closest thing I can (concisely) compare this to is an interpolation algorithm similar to rasterizing lines, wherein the line function is normal store tp, and the low-res rastered line is the multi-atk probability. The shaded in area above the line representing the probability of a proc, below representing not a proc.

Initially, I thought it acted the same way as Tauret (decay factor for critical hits) but in reverse.

The first sample of 1k Hits on NIN/WHM without any multi hit gear yielded an 80% chance for a follow up attack at 50 STP, then around 80 STP it was 90% follow up attack.

On the second 1k sample, I had a COR friend giving Samurai Roll since I couldn't break the 80 STP in gear (back then). The moment STP broke 120, follow up attack was a 100%.

I did ask for peer review for accuracy but like you said, Hachimonji got a bad rep since it was introduced.

It's defenitly the best GK for NIN, and I might agree on it being the best for none REMA Samurai's! Umaru with 20 STR 30 DMG would be right after it.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2020-01-16 03:20:25
Link | Quote | Reply

It's really just a Tachi: Ageha weapon for NIN. JP wiki's description of how it works above 100 STP is likely accurate.
[+]
 Leviathan.Zelllo
user: Zelllo
By Leviathan.Zelllo 2020-01-16 09:50:31
Link | Quote | Reply

For those that can't read Japanese, the table there roughly says:

Store TP: 1-100 +1 Store TP is +1 double attack
Store TP: 101-200 +1 Store TP is +1 triple attack
Above that: +1 Store TP is +1 quadruple attack

It also mentions the 127 TP return.

^ This is consistent with my findings. And a better way to communicate it.

As for it being Ageha only, that's short sighted imo. That's like saying kikoku is only for metsu. It's not, I get a list of WS when I equip it.
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2020-01-16 10:03:25
Link | Quote | Reply

As for it being Ageha only, that's short sighted imo. That's like saying kikoku is only for metsu. It's not, I get a list of WS when I equip it.
I believe it is viewed as such (and what I'm assuming Kyte meant) is that NIN's access to GK WSs is limited to only Enpi (2hit phys), Hobaku (stun phys 1hit), the 4 hybrid elemental WSs (which aren't really anything to write home about without something like a Crocea Mors for GK), and Agheha (defense down 1hit).
None of those have anything more than a T1 skillchain property.

And while Kasha has Fusion.... Hobaku => Koki = Fragmentation => Kasha = Light doesn't really compare to the ability to 2step Light or Darkness and then add second Light or Darkness/Radiance or Umbra (depending on the mainhand katana) on top of that.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-01-16 11:19:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ninja doesn't have a defense down ability at it's disposal, so Ageha from the GK is the foremost reason you would use it. And then move back to katanas for superior dps. Even if you needed Silence you'd use Beryllium Tachi/+1, and then swap back. I can't think of any reason you'd want to use any GKT on Ninja besides for those two reasons. Jinpu is not superior to Blade: Chi. And NIN should be able to skillchain with just about anyone between using Katanas, Swords, and Daggers, if need be, so it wouldn't need to use gkt for that eiter. If NIN were able to use Fudo or Shoha it would be a different story I guess.

I'm sure if you were looking for reasons to play around with GKT you can find one though. Especially if you had appropriate buffs to make the multi attack trait fun. Perhaps Hobaku stunlock something like zerde, would be fun to watch.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-01-22 17:30:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I was lurking in the 'Make PLD great again thread' when I learned that PLD also doesn't naturally have any good multiple mob hate tools similar to ninja (aside from the recent addition of banishga to their arsenal), they kept referencing /blu, any advice for keeping hate on more than a single mob? and what does /blu bring to the table if anything for us as a sub job, I do realize whatever it may be is dependent on having decent refresh. I also read somewhere (maybe here) that /run can be pretty potent, what sort of spell/ja spamming should you do w/ /run?

edit: as an aside, while we are on the topic of subjobs, it seems that with the amount of raw generic macc we are getting on gear these days /drk and /rdm may have some merit again depending on the fight?

edit2: I've maxed subjob merits heh, so 16 skill on each applicable spell. leveled RDM clear to 75 just to have merits in magic skills aside from ninjutsu haha
By Nariont 2020-01-22 17:34:31
Link | Quote | Reply

/blu offers a couple single target hate tools via blank gaze/jettura, an aoe heal through healing breeze, single target through wild carrot, constant +50% def boost via cocoon and some minor boosts via spell/traits from said spells.

/run gives flash, some good meva through traits and runes, and vallation for some extra SDT, also inquarta for whatever that helps
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-01-22 17:35:29
Link | Quote | Reply

/blu offers a couple single target hate tools via blank gaze/jettura, an aoe heal through healing breeze, single target through wild carrot, constant +50% def boost via cocoon and some minor boosts via spell/traits from said spells.

/run gives flash, some good meva through traits and runes, and vallation for some extra SDT, also inquarta for whatever that helps

so /blu would be pretty strong against physical attacking mobs and /run better for magic spamming ones?

Anything viable for AoE hate? multiple mobs are pretty untankable just from a keeping hate stance, obviously they cant touch us when they wanna try. (unless they spam AoEs, higly stupid mechanic they are abusing the ***out of on every single fight that's worth a damn)
By Nariont 2020-01-22 17:55:22
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah blu helps in the phys dmg aspect, also forgot the AoEs from /blu, soporific, sheep song, stinking gas, think im forgetting 1 are all decent aoe hate tools, however the radius is a bit small and centered around you, run has no native aoes
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2020-01-22 19:18:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Your thinking of Geist Wall, it's really nice. BLU spells are best for AoE hate but are susceptible to interrupts, RUN has some JA hate along with flash which is identical to stun and supremely spamable. Your best friend is a RDM.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-01-22 20:14:47
Link | Quote | Reply

What's the optimal /blu spell set for tanking? Is it a one size fits all kind of situation? Is magic acc and/or capped /blu skill needed?
 Asura.Barone
Server: Asura
user: Barone
By Asura.Barone 2020-01-23 02:11:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draugo said: »
What's the optimal /blu spell set for tanking? Is it a one size fits all kind of situation? Is magic acc and/or capped /blu skill needed?

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Out_of_the_BLU#Tanking_.2FBLU
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-01-23 08:47:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Barone said: »
Leviathan.Draugo said: »

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Out_of_the_BLU#Tanking_.2FBLU
I appreciate that, but I am asking specifically about nine/Blu.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-01-23 09:15:13
Link | Quote | Reply

NIN doesn't fare that greatly as a multiple-target tank. It's strength is as a single-mob tank that doesn't use constant aoe and strip shadows. NIN will get wrecked with multiple mobs attacking your shadows, and there aren't many scenarios I can think of it would be favorable. It doesn't have great natural defense, so once those shadows/migawari drop, so does the NIN.

In any case, you would be using Yonin + Utsusemi spells for all of your hate, since it is far superior to anything /blu could generate (plus it keeps you physically protected, serving double duty). The /blu spells are just for tagging, but you could accomplish that as /drk using Poisonga if you wanted a larger radius. You also get the benefit of Stun (a faster Provoke), Last Resort for dps and Souleater for spike hate. If you needed BLU spells for aoe hate, Geist Wall, Jettatura, Stinking Gas, Soporific/Sheep Song are the main ones. Additional utility spells would be Cocoon, Wild Carrot, Healing Breeze.

edit: just took a look and realized Banishga is low enough level where you could theoretically sub PLD for AOE tagging hate. You'd get another osht move in Sentinel to fall back on if things went left, auto refresh, a Wild Carrot comparable heal in Cure3, as well as the best hate tool in Flash. You give up Cocoon of course, but you're not subbing blu or pld for more defense, but rather to keep the mob's attention. Shadows are always going to be your primary defensive + hate tool, regardless of support job.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-01-23 15:23:37
Link | Quote | Reply

NIN doesn't fare that greatly as a multiple-target tank. It's strength is as a single-mob tank that doesn't use constant aoe and strip shadows. NIN will get wrecked with multiple mobs attacking your shadows, and there aren't many scenarios I can think of it would be favorable. It doesn't have great natural defense, so once those shadows/migawari drop, so does the NIN.

Couldn't agree more.

In addition, even in the case where for some reason you wanted to establish hate on multiple mobs, it's not hard to just tag a few of them rapid-fire with extremely fast single-target Ni/San ninjutsu. Let's say you target one mob: it honestly takes similar time to grab two more with a couple quick spells as it would to grab them all with Jettatura from /BLU. And you don't have to deal with Jetta's slow cast speed, short AoE range, and NIN's lack of any native MP pool.

I really can't fathom why you'd ever be trying to keep more than a few mobs on you on a tanking NIN, so our native single target tools should work just fine for any quirky situation where you want more than just a single mob.
[+]
 Cerberus.Mrkillface
Server: Cerberus
user: bitchtits
By Cerberus.Mrkillface 2020-01-23 15:54:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Jettatura has a 0.5 second cast time. It's conal though, so not great for an initial hate grab on multiple mobs.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-01-23 17:21:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Mrkillface said: »
Jettatura has a 0.5 second cast time. It's conal though, so not great for an initial hate grab on multiple mobs.

Thanks for clarifying - I think I just spaced and was thinking of Blank Gaze/Geist Wall. That and the Jettatura animation always makes it feel longer than it really is when I'm on RUN/BLU.

Still, point remains that it's pretty fast and easy to grab mobs with single target :Ni ninjutsu! And Jetta being conal and a fairly long recast time are downsides.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-01-23 17:30:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
Cerberus.Mrkillface said: »

Thanks for clarifying - I think I just spaced and was thinking of Blank Gaze/Geist Wall. That and the Jettatura animation always makes it feel longer than it really is when I'm on RUN/BLU.

Still, point remains that it's pretty fast and easy to grab mobs with single target :Ni ninjutsu! And Jetta being conal and a fairly long recast time are downsides.

.5 seconds to grab all @ once > single targeting, because once hate is established continuing to maintain it when your WHM gets agro from 3 at once is better than trying to grab them individually, hoping your mage doesn't die in the mean time.

The question is irrelevant as to "why I want to" the question is how can I. If you all must know NIN is the strongest job/tank I have atm, so when situations arise, I like to have my options open. I will figure out my limits as to how many/how hard of mobs I can handle at a time.

Looking for advice, not hur dur your doin it wrong, go lvl pld or run.....

and... its not fast nor easy to manually select mobs, it is fast and easy to /ma "name of AoE hate grab spell" <bt>
By Taint 2020-01-23 17:33:56
Link | Quote | Reply

/BLU is the worst thing that ever happened to tanking in this game.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-01-23 17:38:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
/BLU is the worst thing that ever happened to tanking in this game.

Here, have a point, you contributed nothing to the conversation, way to go.
First Page 2 3 ... 172 173 174 ... 253 254 255