[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2012-09-28 02:07:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kincard said: »
Okay, been wondering a bit about capped magic haste sets(Yeah I know, lol playing NIN seriously etc). Been playing around with it a bit and wondering if it’s better to drop the Iga Zukin +2 in a 20% haste build in favor of a higher haste build like this one:

I refrained from adding Hexed-1 to this set given how difficult it is to get. Been wondering about a couple pieces for a set like this, like Nemetona Cap and Usukane Sune-Ate. As far as I can tell though, the above set is better for the hardy stuff like Ig-Alima and the like.

no. Iga Zukin +2 isn't just 6% Haste. It is also Dual Wield +5, which makes that one slot reduce your overall delay by ~11%
[+]
 Leviathan.Kincard
Server: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-09-28 02:12:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Well yeah, but the set I'm trying to make is one you'd use assuming the Dual Wield isn't doing anything (Capped Magic Haste like I mentioned), or rather, you don't need the dual wield from the zukin to cap your delay reduction. Basically you'd wear 20% haste if you kept the Zukin on but you can lose the Zukin for a helm with better melee stats if you could hit around 23% gear haste instead.
 Quetzalcoatl.Langly
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Langly
By Quetzalcoatl.Langly 2012-09-28 09:13:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think there's ever a reason to drop Thaumas Body. Even in high buff situations.

I like what you've done here, but if you could segment each portion seperately. (Take a look at the COR forum and the main COR thread).

Write out the fundamentals for why each set is important. With a stat breakdown? Consider Mustela Gloves for some sets either as mains or alternatives. (Shun: I think I'm still just using Atheling).

Thanks for your compilation.

Edit:

Node by Orestes, find some more recent gearsets by a prominent Ninja from the community:
February 2015
February 2015 - Ninja Gearsets
[+]
 Phoenix.Suji
Server: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2012-09-28 10:33:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Gotta love the Khepri and Tenryu +1 in a thread directed at "Newer/Returning players."

Scratched this because he's subsequently changed the thread title and turned this into a respectable NIN guide. /props
 Phoenix.Esvedium
user: Esvedium
By Phoenix.Esvedium 2012-09-28 10:46:15
Link | Quote | Reply

While this thread might be a noble cause,

Phoenix.Suji said: »
Gotta love the Khepri and Tenryu +1 in a thread directed at "Newer/Returning players."

^This.

Also, breaking it down like the BLU or COR threads would help a lot. It doesn't have to be a "new/returning" thread, but a "This is what you should have" mixed in with alternate pieces of "this is what you can use while working on the best stuff" would do well, I think.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-09-28 14:31:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

My intent was more to show a perfect set and have returning/new players refer to the alternatives list. I guess I could post a "obtainable set" and a "amgwtfbbq set" for each one.

Okay, I've made a small update with a section for a starting point for newer players. I've taken a look on the guides on other job forums and I'll try to get this thing updated and not looking so amateurish compared to the other jobs' over the next few days. I'm not gonna lose to them!
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Dova
user: dova
By Quetzalcoatl.Dova 2012-09-28 14:33:57
Link | Quote | Reply

How come Sangoma Lappa over like Denali Kecks?
 Odin.Rikiyame
Server: Odin
user: Rikiyame
By Odin.Rikiyame 2012-09-28 14:37:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I would link to the sheets, in case they want those, too.
 Quetzalcoatl.Langly
user: Langly
By Quetzalcoatl.Langly 2012-09-28 14:43:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I wholeheartedly support this.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2012-09-28 14:55:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Suji said: »

Even if it's 'unreachable' for newer players, I still think it's good that they know what IS optimal/great.
[+]
 Phoenix.Suji
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2012-09-28 15:01:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't really intend to drop a drama bomb. Like Esvedium said, seeing a progression is more useful to most folks (especially new ones) than seeing the absolute best sets (assuming these are) which are unobtainable for most players.

It's just a misleading title, is all.
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-09-29 17:08:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, since this is becoming more of a general guide sort of thing, is it possible for me to somehow change the topic title?

Quote:
I don't think there's ever a reason to drop Thaumas Body. Even in high buff situations.

What made the Thaumas Body so powerful was the multihit it provided on top of the haste. While Toci's Harness + Ocelomeh+1 is missing the Quad. Attack, it instead gives a good chunk of STR, DEX, and Attack...enough, I think, to offset the Quad. Attack, at least on the high-end content you would use such a set on.

Quetzalcoatl.Dova said: »
How come Sangoma Lappa over like Denali Kecks?

I'll go redo some calculations, but as I recall, because of the low D of the -ton spells, it might be more beneficial to add INT as opposed to MAB in many cases.
 Carbuncle.Pwnzone
Server: Carbuncle
user: Pwnzone
By Carbuncle.Pwnzone 2012-09-29 18:20:44
Link | Quote | Reply

For blade Shun set, does 2 attack really beat out +1dex & 3% DA from Thaumas feet? Saw some other minor errors but that had me pretty confused
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-09-30 08:05:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Like with everything else, it's completely dependent on your buffs and the target. The STR and Attack will be more beneficial on the higher-end stuff like Voidwatch, but if you're in Dynamis and such the Thaumas will win.

If you're missing Myrmex Mittens and using Thaumas Gloves though, Thaumas Nails will probably win every time.
 Carbuncle.Pwnzone
Server: Carbuncle
user: Pwnzone
By Carbuncle.Pwnzone 2012-09-30 09:30:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I still doubt with Bravers/stalwarts/atmacites in vw that the str would beat out 3% DA. There isnt a vw section to this "guide" & since youre looking at the overall picture with the gearsets you have posted, I would def say thaumas feet should rep Dilaram's for Shun.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-09-30 10:02:36
Link | Quote | Reply

6 attack 2 fSTR vs 1 DEX 3% DA is basically 6 attack 1-2 base damage vs 3% DA. Eyeballing the difference I'd favor Diliaram's when fSTR uncapped. Definitely something to keep in mind given the situations where NIN tends to be used though.
 Valefor.Anethesia
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Anethesia 2012-10-01 12:39:53
Link | Quote | Reply

You're not being very practical about some of your gear choices for "new" players. Unless you own the gear you're posting, don't post them.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Dova
By Quetzalcoatl.Dova 2012-10-01 13:00:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Anethesia said: »
You're not being very practical about some of your gear choices for "new" players. Unless you own the gear you're posting, don't post them.

The very first sets he posted for "new" burned jobs blah blah blah are generally easy to obtain in like 30 mins of work but I'm sure someone will appreciate your post.
By digiEndLS 2012-10-01 14:12:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Guys srsly
Valefor.Anethesia said: »
Unless you own the gear you're posting, don't post them.

Srsly quit posting all these kamome sets.. it's pretty unrealistic.

On the real though - can OP edit to include the target used in your moten-sheets? Having a hard time seeing Tjukurrpa win over Epona in all but very low acc scenarios.
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-10-01 18:37:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

As others have said, I have posted some sets that should be practical for newer players to use. I also list alternative items to use under each set- I'd like to think people can at least look information on how to obtain items themselves and decide what is and isn't plausible for them to get.

Quote:
On the real though - can OP edit to include the target used in your moten-sheets? Having a hard time seeing Tjukurrpa win over Epona in all but very low acc scenarios.

I've been debating on whether I should just post multiple "best" sets for each thing, or if that'd just make the post too bloated. Also not sure which targets I would choose. I suppose one set VS Fodder, one set VS Ig-Alima, and one set VS DC Dynamis is best? You are right that Tjukurrpa would only win in low acc/attack situations, or if the dDEX managed to push you up- in fact Iga Tekko +2, too, was only winning against Ig-Alima, and this is assuming no atmacites whatsoever (Stalwart's is up though). I basically made the two sets as different as I could so people reading it could get an idea of how you would gear Hi under different situations.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-10-01 18:42:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Thaumas over AF3. Tjukurrpa is entirely dependent on dDEX to be remotely useful, so I'd consider that more of an alternate piece than a default piece.
By Anesthesia 2012-10-01 23:19:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't post a Shun set with a Kikoku you don't even have, same with Nagi; you people are the epitome of why I don't post on these god forsaken forums: your input is just awful.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-10-01 23:20:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Relic syndrome never fails.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-10-01 23:21:28
Link | Quote | Reply

'Cuz you totally need a specific weapon to do math for it.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Dova
By Quetzalcoatl.Dova 2012-10-01 23:23:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Someone could post a shun set with a freakin signet staff. I'm not sure why the basis of you caring is about what weapon he puts on the sets. Maybe link us to your thread about NIN since someone else taking the initiative is detrimental to your way of life.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-10-02 00:17:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd understand his complaint a lot more if those weapon skills wern't perfectly available, and geared the same way, even without the weapon (Barring the unseen circumstance of attack from Kikoku capping you). I will admit that I mostly made the Blade: Kamu set for luls though- gotta work hard to improve that STR/INT 1.00 fTP WS.

This is making me very hesitant to post my Nagi Mijin Gakure build, maybe I should check with you guys before I add it to the main post:

Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-10-02 02:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

That's probably the most legendary gear set I've ever seen. Only issue is the Bomb Queen Ring lowers your fire affinity, which NIN is already weak with, so you're probably losing more dmg than you gain tbh.

[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-10-02 02:30:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Dat blm sub description... Well played, sir!
First Page 2 ... 253 254 255