Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » PLD DD
PLD DD
First Page 2
 Sylph.Shirotori
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Shirotori 2012-08-16 14:05:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably not feasible, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to try. My question is in the event that I do attempt to pld DD, would it be better to use two swords, a great sword, a sword and shield, dagger club w/e else? Basically I'm asking what are the do's and don't of pld DD-ing...

btw yes I've considered leveling war or drk for more dd potential but they don't seem nearly as fun.
 Quetzalcoatl.Killza
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Killza 2012-08-16 14:11:25
Link | Quote | Reply

RAGNAROK
[+]
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2012-08-16 14:16:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Almace + Ochain = CDC spam...

proper TP/ WS sets are posted all over the place...

Or as posted above... Ragnarok...
[+]
 Bahamut.Bizarro
Server: Bahamut
user: bizarro
By Bahamut.Bizarro 2012-08-16 14:29:47
Link | Quote | Reply

While the block rate of Ochain is miles ahead of Aegis, don't leave gold grumpy gus out of the picture!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Alryc
Server: Lakshmi
user: Alryc
By Lakshmi.Alryc 2012-08-16 14:36:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok or OAT GS would offer the biggest damage output on PLD in most situations but without a shield you're not really on PLD.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Killza
By Quetzalcoatl.Killza 2012-08-16 14:46:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Now that I think about it you should level WAR and play it with shield / sword :O
 Cerberus.Taint
Server: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-08-17 11:00:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Killza said: »
Now that I think about it you should level WAR and play it with shield / sword :O

Axe/shield

Fencer bonus + Ruinator!
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2012-08-17 12:34:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Almace for sure if you wanna PLD DD with shield or dual wield Swords !
 Quetzalcoatl.Killza
By Quetzalcoatl.Killza 2012-08-17 12:44:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Kuroganashi said: »
Almace for sure if you wanna PLD DD with shield or dual wield Swords !

Just got the urge to drop my sword because of this stupid comment of "dual wield Swords !"
[+]
 Siren.Peacekeeper
Server: Siren
By Siren.Peacekeeper 2012-08-17 13:02:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, if your PLD is successfully "DDing" you need better DD's.

PLD DD situations are very limited and in most cases using a GS isn't ideal, or, more likely, if you are able to equip a GS then the group is going to choose a DRK or WAR over a "DD PLD"

Almace and /WAR is one method, using Fencer to enhance CDC as well as your more frequent melee hits, and stacking those on top of the aftermath.

Almace/Joyeuse (or another multi attack offhand) and /NIN is another, capitalizing on multihits for aftermath and increased TP gain.

Ragnarok most certainly another option, but really, if you can put a GS on, then you're not going on PLD.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-08-17 13:09:51
Link | Quote | Reply

The real answer is to gear for DD regardless, especially so if you have an Ochain. If it doesn't require a shield to do, such as dynamis with a friend or two for augments, then feel free to bust out the Great Sword.
[+]
 Valefor.Rancor
Server: Valefor
user: Rancoor
By Valefor.Rancor 2012-08-17 13:35:07
Link | Quote | Reply

What he said

Resolution 5/5 is amazing on pld

I used in in tav VW before I quit and managed to pull 2-3k WS
Also unless you have an Ochain or Aegis shields are pointless so better off using GS ._.b like a boss

two swords is kind of nice, but over all the damage output with a greatsword will be better, but if you have an almace its worth testing. I used almace + the 2-4 magian and it was pretty nice. Actually was able to hold hate O.O
By Ophannus 2012-08-17 13:55:12
Link | Quote | Reply

PLD can destroy thaumas BLU's CDC damage with the right gear. Huggin feet have +10% crit, PLD can get +4% crit damage on heca hands, +3% WS on ogier legs,+5% from phorcys body twilight helm or drachenhorn for nice STR/DEX/Att. Fencer and berserk might do better than the extra hit from DW since you get not only a decent crit bonus but also a TP bonus which adds even further crit.
 Lakshmi.Alryc
user: Alryc
By Lakshmi.Alryc 2012-08-17 14:14:16
Link | Quote | Reply

lol, your Blu maybe.
[+]
 Ramuh.Laffter
Server: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-08-17 14:25:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Rancor said: »

What he said

Also unless you have an Ochain or Aegis shields are pointless so better off using GS ._.b like a boss

two swords is kind of nice, but over all the damage output with a greatsword will be better, but if you have an almace its worth testing. I used almace + the 2-4 magian and it was pretty nice. Actually was able to hold hate O.O
Opinion went out the window here.
[+]
 Valefor.Rancor
Server: Valefor
user: Rancoor
By Valefor.Rancor 2012-08-17 14:28:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Laffter said: »

What he said

Thats ok. Its fairly obvious no ones opinion matters on the internet; and if anyone thinks theirs does they should seek psychiatric help :)
 Quetzalcoatl.Killza
By Quetzalcoatl.Killza 2012-08-17 15:36:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Laffter said: »

What he said

Thats ok. Its fairly obvious no ones opinion matters on the internet; and if anyone thinks theirs does they should seek psychiatric help :)

That is just another opinion....
 Asura.Zizek
user: zizek
By Asura.Zizek 2012-08-17 15:49:32
Link | Quote | Reply

*** ffxiah (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-08-17 17:09:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ophannus said: »
PLD can destroy thaumas BLU's CDC damage with the right gear.
Stopped reading here. PLD doesn't even come close to BLU's CDC damage unless you assume perfect gear and even then, you'd need to be at capped Ratio for PLD just to get anywhere near BLU's output since PLD has to choose between DW and DA/Berserk and BLU doesn't. Otherwise it's BLU that's destroying PLD's CDC damage, let alone total output in non-shieldburn situations.
[+]
 Asura.Werdxi
user: drewxi
By Asura.Werdxi 2012-08-17 17:26:56
Link | Quote | Reply

also you can do almace/KC. w/ capped haste, you should be able to a WS every 8ish seconds easy. Over time, i bet it'd deal some fair dmg.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-08-17 21:14:32
Link | Quote | Reply

99 excalibur/aegis

;)

because they look so nice
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [99 days between previous and next post]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2012-11-24 20:19:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Hate to Necro this topic but was actually discussing this with some LS mates.

Some of us have 99 Rag's already and do play PLD when it's warranted. I was noticing most of my WAR/DRK DD gear also has PLD on it, which in turn brought up the old "Spikey Turtle" PLD build. PLD/WAR with a Rag GS build, berserk / DD buffs / ect.., basically a WAR with defense bonus. If things got rough could switch into turtle gear / possibly to Sword + Shield and ride it out. After dangerous time switch back to GS / DD build and continue.

Is this even remotely viable or should I lay off the pills?
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2012-11-24 20:23:56
Link | Quote | Reply

i would but then again the way i gear and play is for crazy people
 Asura.Kese
user: buhusky34
By Asura.Kese 2012-11-24 20:25:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
Hate to Necro this topic but was actually discussing this with some LS mates.

Some of us have 99 Rag's already and do play PLD when it's warranted. I was noticing most of my WAR/DRK DD gear also has PLD on it, which in turn brought up the old "Spikey Turtle" PLD build. PLD/WAR with a Rag GS build, berserk / DD buffs / ect.., basically a WAR with defense bonus. If things got rough could switch into turtle gear / possibly to Sword + Shield and ride it out. After dangerous time switch back to GS / DD build and continue.

Is this even remotely viable or should I lay off the pills?
cocaine's a hell of a drug
[+]
 Cerberus.Drayco
user: Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2012-11-24 20:33:43
Link | Quote | Reply

While you guys are looking at the options to make pld hit the highest numbers, your missing the point of pld.

Pld should be functional and self sufficient, meaning use a shield. I wouldn't call using a weapon thats meant for war/drk on a pld just because they can equip it. Thats like saying Mandau was made for brd DDs.

Excalibur is an awesome weapon as far as dmg output goes. The WSs dont spike as high as CDC, but the swings are really strong and the added effect adds alot of damage. I use Excalibur about 90% of the time when playing pld.

Almace is not very far behind Excalibur. I'd be willing to guess that 99 Almace would absolutely walk all over 99 Excalibur too. CDC is a very potent WS and the ODD from AM puts the swings almost as high as Excalibur.

Theres nothing like grabbing 20 mobs with Ochain and backing into a corner and CDC spamming an NM.
 Cerberus.Yunabell
By Cerberus.Yunabell 2012-11-24 20:56:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd have to strongly agree with Drayco, but PLD can not do the damage Ragnarok is intended for. Being a PLD with an Aegis/Almace and slowly working on Ochain, I can't see a PLD being a DD what so ever. There isn't enough haste or ws gear in the world a PLD could get that would make them TP gain faster and ws harder with no matter what weapon. I'm not saying a PLD can't put some good numbers out now but hate is ripped off so fast like as if the PLD wasn't even there.
 Ragnarok.Azryel
Server: Ragnarok
user: Azryel
By Ragnarok.Azryel 2012-11-24 21:07:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I "attempt" to DD on PLD when I'm just messing around... I agree that being a "DD" isn't really the point of PLD, but it can be fun if you're in a situation that doesn't require a lot of seriousness.

What I'm using for "DD" PLD at the moment:

TP: 7-hit with any sub

WS: Resolution
 Cerberus.Yunabell
By Cerberus.Yunabell 2012-11-24 21:24:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I totally agree with you on that. I'm on the last stages of Ragnarok myself. I might make a DD/WS set just to mess around as well.
[+]
By Quiznor 2012-11-24 22:21:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
99 excalibur/aegis

;)

because they look so nice

Ugliest ***ever
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2012-11-25 06:18:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Pld should be functional and self sufficient, meaning use a shield. I wouldn't call using a weapon thats meant for war/drk on a pld just because they can equip it. Thats like saying Mandau was made for brd DDs.

Currently WAR / DRK / MNK's "tank" because they can hit the hate cap fast and maintain that cap. A PLD can't "tank" because Sword / Shield's damage is not high enough to hit and maintain that hate cap. This was about hitting the hate cap as fast as possible and maintaining it exactly the same way everyone else does with the option to go into turtle mode and holding something.

PLD/WAR has nearly the exact same gear options as WAR/DRK, so we're talking capped haste / accuracy / attack / Bergressor with the only difference being MA procs. Now obviously it won't be the same as two of the hardest hitting jobs in the game, but it won't shabby either.

Anyhow the idea was for the PLD to stand next to the other DD's and whack away, should something ~bad~ happen the PLD could then engage sentinel and / or switch into turtle mode and hold the monster while everyone else recovered.
[+]
First Page 2