Perp Staves Worth It?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Summoner » Perp Staves worth it?
Perp Staves worth it?
First Page 2
 Cerberus.Taint
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-08-06 09:57:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Working hard on my SMN and was about to do the Garuda stave but is it even worth the effort? -7 Perp isn't a big deal now and BP delay can be capped with a dozen other items.

Thoughts? I'll definitely do them if they are worth it.
 Bahamut.Bekisa
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Bekisa 2012-08-06 10:04:35
Link | Quote | Reply

If you really like SMN, have the inventory space, like to solo a lot, and even more so if you have the time to make them, then yes. Otherwise, I personally don't think they are needed. Using Bahamut's Staff still myself and the new prism staves will work just fine as a space saver as well. I've solo some of the tougher NM's in Abyssea and didn't have any MP issues without them.
 Shiva.Gib
Server: Shiva
user: Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2012-08-06 10:06:18
Link | Quote | Reply

if you're serious about SMN, yes.
 Siren.Kunimatsu
Server: Siren
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2012-08-06 10:19:49
Link | Quote | Reply

It's worth getting them to at least the lv85 stage where they're -6 perp, Allows you to cap perp with AF3 +2 body/feet and evoker's ring, allowing any other auto refresh slots to give refresh (and auto refresh II.)
 Lakshmi.Zeosilot
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zeosilot
By Lakshmi.Zeosilot 2012-08-06 11:10:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly depends on what you intend to use your summoner for and where you intend to use it.

If you plan to use it casually or solo things like Abyssea mobs where mp is rarely an issue then I'd say don't bother.

However, if you plan to use summoner in the newer content like Legion or idk, Neo Limbus/Einherjar perhaps, then I'd say it's worth it... especially for Legion. It's not entirely difficult to reduce your blood pact delay to the 45 second cap without the staves, but for an avatar such as Ramuh having a 45 second Shock Squall in addition to -7 Perpetuation in a fast paced, mp-heavy event (where you probably don't have a bard or corsair [depending on party set ups]) that is where the staff shines imo.

When I did legion on Wednesday I saw a few of the summoner's were never able to regain their mp to a comfortable amount after using perfect defense. I put that down to a combination of a crappy Elemental Siphon due to low summoning skill and avatars that aren't free due to their choice of staves.

So yeah, it all depends on what extent you wish to play summoner to.
 Shiva.Paulu
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2012-08-06 11:26:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Could do what I did. Go braindead doing half the staves then start Nirvana. But seriously, pretty much what the others said above. Good mp tool. Could potentially help if one day the BP delay cap gets reduced too.
 Cerberus.Taint
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-08-06 11:40:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zeosilot said: »
Honestly depends on what you intend to use your summoner for and where you intend to use it.

If you plan to use it casually or solo things like Abyssea mobs where mp is rarely an issue then I'd say don't bother.

However, if you plan to use summoner in the newer content like Legion or idk, Neo Limbus/Einherjar perhaps, then I'd say it's worth it... especially for Legion. It's not entirely difficult to reduce your blood pact delay to the 45 second cap without the staves, but for an avatar such as Ramuh having a 45 second Shock Squall in addition to -7 Perpetuation in a fast paced, mp-heavy event (where you probably don't have a bard or corsair [depending on party set ups]) that is where the staff shines imo.

When I did legion on Wednesday I saw a few of the summoner's were never able to regain their mp to a comfortable amount after using perfect defense. I put that down to a combination of a crappy Elemental Siphon due to low summoning skill and avatars that aren't free due to their choice of staves.

So yeah, it all depends on what extent you wish to play summoner to.

Thanks for the post, definitely a Legion build is what my SMN if for. I'm DD 99% of the time but hate being gimp for anything, so that rare time I'm on SMN I'd like to have a nice build.

Gonna make a few staves. Thank you all.
 Cerberus.Cahlum
user: Cahlum
By Cerberus.Cahlum 2012-08-06 11:44:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Do the ramuh staff the rest really aren't worth it.
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Timepassesbye 2012-08-06 12:00:17
Link | Quote | Reply

well, here is another factor that i don't think was taken into account. perp - only removes the perp, it doesn't add a refresh if you exceed the cost of the avitar. so if you have refresh 1,2,3 with the HQ ele staves, then you will gain no additional benefit from a staff that is perp -7. myself, i have the new HQ prism staff because ive had the 8 hq's for years. i also have 4/5 smn +2 and 1 +1 so i have extra perp- from that as well as the refresh +2. so when i have an avitar out, i have 4 refresh with just the hq staff.

beyond that, if you do want to have them all, really stop and consider which avitars you play with. personally in abyssea i usually stick to shiva or ramuh because i have the most ice mab atmas. but outside i use whichever one works with the day/element present. not all people play that way though. so if you find that you never use 1 or 2 avitars, then id say go ahead and skip those elements.
 Shiva.Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2012-08-06 12:09:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
well, here is another factor that i don't think was taken into account. perp - only removes the perp, it doesn't add a refresh if you exceed the cost of the avitar.
The point with the extra perp- from the magian staff was that you could alter your gear set to use more refresh gear.
[+]
 Bismarck.Leneth
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2012-08-07 06:27:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Paulu said: »
The point with the extra perp- from the magian staff was that you could alter your gear set
That is the important part.
The days of Summoners being all the same, when gear and magic skill didn't matter are over. It got missed by most because we only recieved 1-2 usefull gear per new event, but they did add up by now.
And every focused slot of -perp does open it up for other gear choices which put you ahead of other Summoners now.
But you have to work on it more than other jobs because a few choices come from augment-farming.

Also note: the last -1 from costs is covered by your first auto-Refresh.

As example for letting your Avatar melee while you watch from afar:

Instead of Nirvana use the ToM-Staves and replace an Angel's Ring with Evoker's Ring. This puts you at: -14Perp Cost, +10% Pet Haste, +13-15% Pet Critical Hit Rate (depending on Aureate Necklace), +17-24 Pet Acc, Rugged Mantle is only option for Pet Att+ but is so tiny it can be ignored.
Other Jobs got good upgrades so Selenian Cap becomes avaible for SMNs.
 Cerberus.Mindi
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2012-08-07 08:52:59
Link | Quote | Reply

*Incomming Noob-SMN Question*

Okaaayy... i really dont know, but when useing Ramuh just to Shock Squall and dont care about his dmg, wouldnt it be enough to have this Favor stuff active? This reduces your perputation cost by -4. And Favor from Ramuh also gives Crit hitrate if the SMN happen to be in a DD PT still so not that big loss to have less att/mab on the avatar.

Or would it hurt Shock Squall to have that active to lower the cost? Normal Avatars like Ramuh cost 15 MP if i understand that right and all cost atleast 1 MP? (before Refresh) so af3+2 body and feet + HQ staff + favor is 4+3+3+4=14 so will cost nothing and you have Auto Refresh II and atleast the head and legsslot free to give you 4 tic Refresh? Correct me if i am wrong and for sur i am lol, but for me it dont seems that usefull/worth the work to have the -perp staves. Atleast when you only use SMN to PD and Shocksquall.
[+]
 Bismarck.Leneth
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2012-08-07 09:25:10
Link | Quote | Reply

And if you want to use DRG only for Angon then you do not need a polearm.
If you only want to perform 1-2 actions you just need to gear for those. Others might not be so happy about that though.

As for your question: there is no known Acc/MAcc penalty with Avatar's Favor which would hurt Shock Squall.
[+]
 Fenrir.Gundulagause
Server: Fenrir
user: Gundula
By Fenrir.Gundulagause 2012-08-07 09:31:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Mindi said: »

Okaaayy... i really dont know, but when useing Ramuh just to Shock Squall and dont care about his dmg, wouldnt it be enough to have this Favor stuff active? This reduces your perputation cost by -4. And Favor from Ramuh also gives Crit hitrate if the SMN happen to be in a DD PT still so not that big loss to have less att/mab on the avatar.

Or would it hurt Shock Squall to have that active to lower the cost? Normal Avatars like Ramuh cost 15 MP if i understand that right and all cost atleast 1 MP? (before Refresh) so af3+2 body and feet + HQ staff + favor is 4+3+3+4=14 so will cost nothing and you have Auto Refresh II and atleast the head and legsslot free to give you 4 tic Refresh? Correct me if i am wrong and for sur i am lol, but for me it dont seems that usefull/worth the work to have the -perp staves. Atleast when you only use SMN to PD and Shocksquall.
Please stop playing summoner.
 Shiva.Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2012-08-07 09:59:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gundulagause said: »
Cerberus.Mindi said: »

Just sounds like another Legion summoner. At least its not a mule like half the ones in my group are lol.
 Carbuncle.Nezea
Server: Carbuncle
user: Nezea
By Carbuncle.Nezea 2012-08-07 10:05:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

To be fair she did openly say that she had a "noob summoner" question and that she was probably wrong. Since you clearly think you know better, you could try helping her instead of being rude for no reason.
[+]
By Mozhat 2012-08-07 10:40:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I for one have all the Magian perp staffs but the light. Use the Carby Pole for that. I spike Heavenly Strikes all the time in Abyssea using MM/Ultima/Beyond for 10,000 to my best 10938 on reg. mobs and spike 9000-9339 best on NMs. Use gales/MM/Beyond for Wind Blade. With any avatar out without Favor I get 3mp refresh back. Don't forget those staffs have ele affinity. Outside abyssea I do 2k-up to 9k spikes and have pict. to prove all this. So I say yes there all worth it. The best 2 pc as a smn in my book, get the AF2+2 w/augments on the hands and feet. Thats where you will realy see a difference. PS My Friends call me the Ice Man.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-08-07 10:41:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Never would have guessed perp cost and BP delay affected damage, thanks Ice Man.
[+]
By Mozhat 2012-08-07 10:46:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Its
Ramuh.Austar said: »
Never would have guessed perp cost and BP delay affected damage, thanks Ice Man.
not, its the Affinity in the element of the staff. With those Atmas and the Merit BPS, AF2+2 w/augments, I have 120 Magic Blood pack att. Bonus.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-08-07 10:48:39
Link | Quote | Reply

You mean the one for player nukes, or the one that reduces perp cost?
By Mozhat 2012-08-07 10:49:52
Link | Quote | Reply

You mean the one for player nukes, or the one that reduces perp cost?
-7 pert staff at 99
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-08-07 10:51:16
Link | Quote | Reply

So you're saying "Wind Affinity: Avatar perp. cost -7" boosts pet damage?
[+]
 Shiva.Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2012-08-07 10:56:38
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't. The only staves that will boost pet magic damage are soulscourge, fay crozier, pet magic attack bonus magian, and Nirvana. Those spikes you see are blood boon af3 procs.
[+]
By Mozhat 2012-08-07 10:58:09
Link | Quote | Reply

So you're saying "Wind Affinity: Avatar perp. cost -7" boosts pet damage?
yes along with other gear. Tell you what I have both the Magian Phy and Magic att staffs. Just equiping those staffs don't do anymore dmg then the _perps do. I don't even macro them in, Same as the Soulscourge. On use it to get 562 smn skill at Elemental Siphon.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-08-07 11:05:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Boy howdy.
[+]
By Mozhat 2012-08-07 11:12:10
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't. The only staves that will boost pet magic damage are soulscourge, fay crozier, pet magic attack bonus magian, and Nirvana. Those spikes you see are blood boon af3 procs.
I disagree, I have all those Staffs except the Nirvana. The perps do the same dmg. The Spikes are from 5/5merits in Shiva and Garuda with the AF2+2 with augments on the Feet + hands. Blood boom is a factor but when I finish those 2 pcs, my Smn hits spikes alot mor often. I 1 shot reg mobs, I'd say 50% of the time now in abyssea. Just ask around on this server, they will tell you, I avg. ove 5 k BPs in abysssea. I'll stay with my -perps until I can get a Nirvana.
 Cerberus.Cahlum
user: Cahlum
By Cerberus.Cahlum 2012-08-07 11:17:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Perp - staves do not affect BP damage, test it outside abyssea and post real factual evidence, i.e no tp apart from merits with no gear on apart from staff on, staff off on level 1 mobs. It's blood boon procs / tp bonus. If however they do actually work the staves will be worth doing outside of the Ramuh one.
 Shiva.Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2012-08-07 11:26:46
Link | Quote | Reply

You're in abyssea. My SMN can pump out large numbers too, but it is because of the atma. Your perp- staff isn't affecting dmg. It's only functions are reducing perpetuation costs and BP Delay. It says so right on the staff.
You don't find it odd that such a great fact wouldn't be known across the community by now if it were true?
[+]
By Mozhat 2012-08-07 11:42:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Te
Cerberus.Cahlum said: »
Perp - staves does not affect BP damage, test it outside abyssea and post real factual evidence, i.e no tp apart from merits with no gear on apart from staff on, staff off on level 1 mobs. It's blood boon procs / tp bonus.
ll you what. I'll go to Kuftal tunnel and kill the tigers [the 103 lv ones] with Soulscourge, Fay, Vourukasha 3, Tuahjebat mag att +13 bonus, and the Vulcan's staff. I'll use Heavenly Stike and Blizzard IV. I'll get 5 readings on each staff of those 2 BPs. I'm just saying its easier for me to us the -perp withthe -delay to us better gear to replace the ability for more dmg. Swaping staffs out for mor dmg, I don't see the difference. Until SE changes the -ability I'll stick with the -perps.
By Mozhat 2012-08-07 11:43:25
Link | Quote | Reply

You're in abyssea. My SMN can pump out large numbers too, but it is because of the atma. Your perp- staff isn't affecting dmg. It's only functions are reducing perpetuation costs and BP Delay. It says so right on the staff.
You don't find it odd that such a great fact wouldn't be known across the community by now if it were true?
If the affinity was not on there there would be less dmg
First Page 2