Perp Staves Worth It?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Summoner » Perp Staves worth it?
Perp Staves worth it?
 Fenrir.Duvelamilla
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Duvelamilla 2012-08-07 11:47:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I have to agree with Gundulagause on this point.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-08-07 11:48:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Mozhat said: »
Shiva.Paulu said: »
You're in abyssea. My SMN can pump out large numbers too, but it is because of the atma. Your perp- staff isn't affecting dmg. It's only functions are reducing perpetuation costs and BP Delay. It says so right on the staff.
You don't find it odd that such a great fact wouldn't be known across the community by now if it were true?
If the affinity was not on there there would be less dmg
If the affinity was not there, then there would only be one -perp staff.

And well, we just can't have that.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Kyoshin
Server: Ragnarok
user: HaseAkira
By Ragnarok.Kyoshin 2012-08-07 11:55:10
Link | Quote | Reply

You're in abyssea. My SMN can pump out large numbers too, but it is because of the atma. Your perp- staff isn't affecting dmg. It's only functions are reducing perpetuation costs and BP Delay. It says so right on the staff.
You don't find it odd that such a great fact wouldn't be known across the community by now if it were true?
If the affinity was not on there there would be less dmg

Affinity just means "This effect only takes place under this element". In regard to the avatar bonuses, it means avatars of that element. So a "fire affinity perp/BP" staff would only affect Fire Spirit and Ifrit.
 Cerberus.Mindi
Server: Cerberus
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2012-08-07 12:09:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nezea said: »
Quote:
Please stop playing summoner.

To be fair she did openly say that she had a "noob summoner" question and that she was probably wrong. Since you clearly think you know better, you could try helping her instead of being rude for no reason.

Thx Leneth and Nezea... i dont play SMN and i never want to, a few weeks ago i was asked to come SMN to event cause all those who were assigned on SMN didnt show up. And thats was one time in the last 3+ years (when Astral burn PT's stoped beeing something good for exp leeching w) where i was asked to come smn. I would never bother to make a staff that isnt usefull for what i do on a Job once in 3 years, aslong as that Favor doesnt lower my Acc/macc its fine for me to get my perputation cost down with it.
 Cerberus.Cahlum
user: Cahlum
By Cerberus.Cahlum 2012-08-07 12:30:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Te
Cerberus.Cahlum said: »
Perp - staves does not affect BP damage, test it outside abyssea and post real factual evidence, i.e no tp apart from merits with no gear on apart from staff on, staff off on level 1 mobs. It's blood boon procs / tp bonus.
ll you what. I'll go to Kuftal tunnel and kill the tigers [the 103 lv ones] with Soulscourge, Fay, Vourukasha 3, Tuahjebat mag att +13 bonus, and the Vulcan's staff. I'll use Heavenly Stike and Blizzard IV. I'll get 5 readings on each staff of those 2 BPs. I'm just saying its easier for me to us the -perp withthe -delay to us better gear to replace the ability for more dmg. Swaping staffs out for mor dmg, I don't see the difference. Until SE changes the -ability I'll stick with the -perps.
Or you could do what I said so that there wouldn't be resists.
 Cerberus.Taint
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-08-07 12:39:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you guys do the kill shot trials in Abyssea?

Which atmas?
By Mozhat 2012-08-07 12:45:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Ramuh.Austar said: »
So you're saying "Wind Affinity: Avatar perp. cost -7" boosts pet damage?
yes along with other gear. Tell you what I have both the Magian Phy and Magic att staffs. Just equiping those staffs don't do anymore dmg then the _perps do. I don't even macro them in, Same as the Soulscourge. On use it to get 562 smn skill at Elemental Siphon.
A weapon needs to say "Pet Affinity dmg+" or "Pet Affinity accuracy+" to do anything you claim. This weapon just states "Anything of this element will have a reduced perpetual cost, that's all

Those both phy and Magic staffs are the pet bonus dmg. Hardy any change in dmg in those and the -perts I have. That is why I quit macro them in for more dmg. Not worth it.
 Ragnarok.Azryel
user: Azryel
By Ragnarok.Azryel 2012-08-07 13:15:14
Link | Quote | Reply

In my humblest of opinions -perp staves aren't necessary. With my present build I get a minimum of +3 refresh with any avatar out, will be +4 if I can upgrade my Nashira Gages to Adhara Gages, and -BP cap can be easily attained with other gear that you'll likely already have with you anyway.

MP is rarely an issue, and I'm almost always /WHM, but if you want to take it one step further a /RDM is even better for MP conservation- I just don't feel like using consumables for reraise as my SMN tends to die during events (Legion and ADL usually) with a regularity higher than I'd care to admit lol... The only time MP is even remotely a concern for me is after Alexander, and even then an Elemental Siphon should get you right back into business.

That being said, if you're hardcore SMN and want to make a set of staves, or even one or two for the Avatars you use most, then by all means go ahead and do so, because it will free up some other options to cram more refresh gear in there... I just haven't found a need that justifies the time involved to make them.
 Ragnarok.Kyoshin
user: HaseAkira
By Ragnarok.Kyoshin 2012-08-07 13:24:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Ramuh.Austar said: »
So you're saying "Wind Affinity: Avatar perp. cost -7" boosts pet damage?
yes along with other gear. Tell you what I have both the Magian Phy and Magic att staffs. Just equiping those staffs don't do anymore dmg then the _perps do. I don't even macro them in, Same as the Soulscourge. On use it to get 562 smn skill at Elemental Siphon.
A weapon needs to say "Pet Affinity dmg+" or "Pet Affinity accuracy+" to do anything you claim. This weapon just states "Anything of this element will have a reduced perpetual cost, that's all

Those both phy and Magic staffs are the pet bonus dmg. Hardy any change in dmg in those and the -perts I have. That is why I quit macro them in for more dmg. Not worth it.

There is no damage bonus at all on perpetuation staves. At all. "Affinity" states the specific element the effect is unique to. There may still not be much of a damage bonus overall, but don't eyeball it and expect something lol. :)

My opinion on staves though? I'm a SMN for... pretty much just Arch Omega, so I use the Chatoyant Staff for inventory space. If you're on it a lot, go for the gold.
 Shiva.Paulu
Server: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2012-08-07 14:01:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Taint said: »
Do you guys do the kill shot trials in Abyssea?

Which atmas?
Razed Ruin, Sanguine Scythe, Gnarled Horn. I know it seems weird not to use apoc but this was what worked best for me. Focusing on the crits made more impact than the number of attacks. Avatar melee dmg is poor as it is.

Edit: Additionally, for abyssea trials I use physical atma because in most cases your BP won't 1 shot anything without an AF3 set proc. That last 10% or so melee with no melee atma take so much time its maddening. I don't know what your staff skill is but you can also melee and speed things up. I tried not to use more than 1 BP Rage per mob.
By Xilk 2012-08-07 17:35:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Razed Ruin, Sanguine Scythe, Gnarled Horn. I know it seems weird not to use apoc but this was what worked best for me. Focusing on the crits made more impact than the number of attacks. Avatar melee dmg is poor as it is.

These don't seem odd to me at all. I'm a bst who's recently leveled smn as well. I'm really enjoying playing on smn alot lately.

When choosing physical dd atmas' I was debating on Apocalypse vs other atma to help BP's. Apocalypse really wasn't helping as much.

The melee portion of avatar damage is just too small. its all in the blood pacts. Set yourself as close to a 1-shot kill as much as possible.
 Shiva.Alistrianna
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Alistrianna 2012-08-13 15:56:00
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can get help with pulling, you can Astral Flow burn mobs by locking 2hr in boxes and using temps to restore MP. I finished my Vourukasha III for Shiva this way since the last few trials were annoying. Just had a WAR pull all the mobs and Fell Cleave one time for hate, then used Astral Flow to take out what was left.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-08-16 11:50:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I was looking at sets today and came up with these:

Celestial Avatar (no weather):
Chatoyant (-3)
AF3+2 head (+2)
AF3+2 body (-4)
Adhara gages (-2)
Evoker's Ring (-1)
Nares legs (+1)
AF3+2 feet (-3)
+3 MP/tick, -13 Perp/tick. Net +3 MP/tick with Auto-refresh II.

Celestial Avatar (Weather or Day):
Chatoyant (-3)
AF3+2 head (+2)
Rubeus Jacket (+1)
AF3+2 hands (-50%)
Evoker's Ring (-1)
Nares legs (+1)
AF3+2 feet (-3)
+5 MP/tick, -7 Perp, Perp-50%. Net +6 MP/tick with Auto-refresh II.

Spirit (doesn't matter):
AF3+2 feet (-3)
Evoker's Ring (-1)
Full skill (and summoner's spats +2) for the rest. I still mostly use these for Siphon and spell-casting so the last -1 perp is less important for me than the extra skill I could get in that slot.

With these sets in mind, I see that making Magian Staves would let me pick up 1MP/tick or movement speed in the Celestial sets and would gain me nothing in the Spirit set. Considering how much effort those staves take, I don't think they're worth it for me.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2012-08-16 12:35:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Leneth said: »
The point with the extra perp- from the magian staff was that you could alter your gear set
That is the important part.
The days of Summoners being all the same, when gear and magic skill didn't matter are over. It got missed by most because we only recieved 1-2 usefull gear per new event, but they did add up by now.
And every focused slot of -perp does open it up for other gear choices which put you ahead of other Summoners now.
But you have to work on it more than other jobs because a few choices come from augment-farming.

Also note: the last -1 from costs is covered by your first auto-Refresh.

As example for letting your Avatar melee while you watch from afar:

Instead of Nirvana use the ToM-Staves and replace an Angel's Ring with Evoker's Ring. This puts you at: -14Perp Cost, +10% Pet Haste, +13-15% Pet Critical Hit Rate (depending on Aureate Necklace), +17-24 Pet Acc, Rugged Mantle is only option for Pet Att+ but is so tiny it can be ignored.
Other Jobs got good upgrades so Selenian Cap becomes avaible for SMNs.

I thought the common consensus was that Pet: Attack was essentially worthless.

a -3 perp staff is fine and dandy. If I could substitute a -7 per in that set I could use my Caller's Horn +2 and in place of the relic +2 and gain an additional 2mp/tick increasing my refresh from 5/tick to 7/tick (when the ring and grip activate). Considering how much extra inventory and extra effort that requires, Bahamut's (-3) works just fine for me. In the end on an odinV2 or other manaburn event, the extra two mp is probably only realistically <600 mp over the course of an entire event (~3 BPs).

There certainly is an advantage but its quite alot of work. You're much better off spending that time obtaining a Pet MAB magian staff which will make much more of a difference and will take a fraction of the time.
 Fenrir.Aiiiight
Server: Fenrir
user: Aiiiight
By Fenrir.Aiiiight 2012-08-17 01:10:18
Link | Quote | Reply

anything with PET: MAB/ATT etc contributes big gains, more noticeable if your not in aby relying on atmas.
 Bismarck.Leneth
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2012-08-17 08:07:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
Chatoyant (-3)
AF3+2 head (+2)
Rubeus Jacket (+1)
AF3+2 hands (-50%)
Evoker's Ring (-1)
Nares legs (+1)
AF3+2 feet (-3)
-50%Perp cost from AF3+2 comes after the -perp gear.
This would actually be:
15perp -7 from your set = 8
=> 50% Perp = 4
=> +6 Refresh = +2MP/tick

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

With matching weather and with active grip this would be: +4, without Assault ring. Also this set requires an earring most people have not augmented on Refresh but on TP Bonus.

As for the Pet Att gear being useless, it depends on the specific gear (example: BP only restriction) and the value of it (Spurrina Gages/Mujin Obi offer an amount which you can eyeball).

A Magian Trials Staff offers (if you just want to go for Refresh+) a +4Refresh without any day/weather restriction or an augmented Earring which is prolly used for TP Bonus.
Under ideal circumstances (weather, Refresh grip active, augmented Earring) it can give +7Refresh/tick with:
TM Staff: -7
AF3+2 Feet: -3
Adhara Gages: -2
Evoker's Ring: -1
(Caller's Pendant: -1 [if weather, even without weather it should be there for TP Regain])

AF3+2 Head: +2
Pluviale: +1
Nares Threws: +1
(Oneiros Grip: +1 active when less than 76% MP [Base MP = without gear])
(Moonshade Earring: +1 [if not used for TP Bonus])
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-08-17 08:15:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Chatoyant (-3)
AF3+2 head (+2)
Rubeus Jacket (+1)
AF3+2 hands (-50%)
Evoker's Ring (-1)
Nares legs (+1)
AF3+2 feet (-3)
This would actually be:
=> 50% Perp = 4

Wow, that's terrible. I just assumed it came first (like Carby Mitts?). Are the hands even worth using during day/weather then? I already have Adhara Gages.
 Bismarck.Leneth
By Bismarck.Leneth 2012-08-17 08:33:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, that's terrible. I just assumed it came first (like Carby Mitts?). Are the hands even worth using during day/weather then? I already have Adhara Gages.
It is a shame they do not work like Carby mitts, and outside of "Mana-Cede"-Macro they seem to be useless.
The only hope these hands have is that their Acc value might be higher than those of AF2 Bracers if one uses the set I posted on the first page. Don't think anyone will test that though...

Adhara Gages will be better if you put more -perp gear into your body slot (assuming the set you posted earlier). Also they are essential for a SMN-melee set.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-08-17 09:00:39
Link | Quote | Reply

The only hope these hands have is that their Acc value might be higher than those of AF2 Bracers if one uses the set I posted on the first page. Don't think anyone will test that though...

I kind of doubt it will be, considering the bracers also have 15 skill and an "Enhances avatar accuracy" of their own. They're pretty much a Mana Cede macro piece for me now.

Speaking of which, now that I'm back to 5/5 Heavenly Strike and Thunderstorm, is there any real use for enhanced Mana Cede?
160 base (5/5) + 50 (AF3+2 legs) = 210, so even 90 maxes them out. Should I be 4/5, you think?
 Bismarck.Leneth
By Bismarck.Leneth 2012-08-17 09:25:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I kind of doubt it will be, considering the bracers also have 15 skill and an "Enhances avatar accuracy" of their own. They're pretty much a Mana Cede macro piece for me now.

Speaking of which, now that I'm back to 5/5 Heavenly Strike and Thunderstorm, is there any real use for enhanced Mana Cede?
160 base (5/5) + 50 (AF3+2 legs) = 210, so even 90 maxes them out. Should I be 4/5, you think?

The skill will do nothing for the normal hits though, just for BPs.
With Auspex/Spurrina/Nares hands these do not have a place for BPs anymore.

You should stay with 5/5, especially with the new 2hr coming.
The only *real* use I can think of an enhanced Mana Cede would be if you have Ngen Seraweels which would replace AF3+2 Legs every 5minuts for a magical BP.

A more unreal use would be for healing wards, but the improvement of them is not worth the 100MP you spend with Mana Cede <.< The higher healing BPs have an extremly low TP=>HP healed ratio, it is laughable. Garuda's Whispering Wind would profit the most by it. Then again, if she takes damage and is in a situation where resummoning is not an option she will most likely have gathered enough TP on her own to make an enhanced mana cede useless again.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2012-08-17 09:36:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Chatoyant (-3)
AF3+2 head (+2)
Rubeus Jacket (+1)
AF3+2 hands (-50%)
Evoker's Ring (-1)
Nares legs (+1)
AF3+2 feet (-3)
This would actually be:
=> 50% Perp = 4

With matching weather and with active grip this would be: +4, without Assault ring. Also this set requires an earring most people have not augmented on Refresh but on TP Bonus.

As for the Pet Att gear being useless, it depends on the specific gear (example: BP only restriction) and the value of it (Spurrina Gages/Mujin Obi offer an amount which you can eyeball).

A Magian Trials Staff offers (if you just want to go for Refresh+) a +4Refresh without any day/weather restriction or an augmented Earring which is prolly used for TP Bonus.
Under ideal circumstances (weather, Refresh grip active, augmented Earring) it can give +7Refresh/tick with:
TM Staff: -7
AF3+2 Feet: -3
Adhara Gages: -2
Evoker's Ring: -1
(Caller's Pendant: -1 [if weather, even without weather it should be there for TP Regain])

AF3+2 Head: +2
Pluviale: +1
Nares Threws: +1
(Oneiros Grip: +1 active when less than 76% MP [Base MP = without gear])
(Moonshade Earring: +1 [if not used for TP Bonus])

Caller's hands have an accuracy boost on them which I would argue makes a bigger difference in DOT than an additional unit of perp cost. The body is also a great piece to have your avatar TP in and will likely produce more DOT than one would get using a refresh body to the point of popping another Blood pact.

Refresh IS always nice but it doesn't always lead to more DOT. If you're not racking up the DMG then dare I say..... ur doing it wrong.

EDIT: Hmmm acc boost on BPs only you say? Where is the testing to support this?
 Bismarck.Leneth
By Bismarck.Leneth 2012-08-17 09:48:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Caller's hands have an accuracy boost on them which I would argue makes a bigger difference in DOT than an additional unit of perp cost. The body is also a great piece to have your avatar TP in and will likely produce more DOT than one would get using a refresh body to the point of popping another Blood pact.

Refresh IS always nice but it doesn't always lead to more DOT. If you're not racking up the DMG then dare I say..... ur doing it wrong.
I did the Refresh-set just as an example for the poeple who do not care about the Avatar damage between blood pacts.

The set+epxlanation I posted for an Avatar melee phase showing the improvement possible with a magian trial staff can be found quoted by you in your earlier post. So please refere to that if you want to talk about damage.

Edit:To answer your edited question, it was not tested but stated what Skill over cap will do. here is the link, the text is in the Battle-related section.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [214 days between previous and next post]
 Carbuncle.Tyleron
Server: Carbuncle
user: Tyleron
By Carbuncle.Tyleron 2013-03-19 13:23:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Going to bump this thread as the stickies guide does not cover staves in depth.

If you could only do one or two magian staves which would it be?

Thunder -perp and pet Macc?

How long would you think it would take to do, if you assume I do it with another smn?

Edit: I should also note I have a Fay staff with -3 perp -3 BP and 4 magic attack
 Sylph.Chrisstreb
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Chrisstreb 2013-03-19 13:39:06
Link | Quote | Reply

the Thunder Avatar Perp Staff wasn't that hard to do, I did it in about 2 weeks, not doing it everyday. Most of the later trials are just a bit more time consuming, but very easily soloable. Duo of course makes it much faster
 Lakshmi.Hiku
user: squirrel
By Lakshmi.Hiku 2013-03-19 13:41:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I solo'd both my Light perp and Wind perp staff in about a week each, working on a Dark and Water during boredom hours. Which staff you do really depends on which avatar you use the most. With a Fay staff or Chatoyant staff (-3 perp on each) you can easily have all avatars free, the Perp staff just allows you to cap BP- delay and use "Pet: Atk/Acc/M.Acc/M.Atk" stuff easier, and summoning skill. As far as a 2nd Alternate staff for pets, I would personally go with M.Atk over M.Acc, but again it really depends on which avatar you're favoring to use.
 Phoenix.Thorbean
Server: Phoenix
user: Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2013-03-19 14:00:54
Link | Quote | Reply

The -perp staves open your gear options up for more + refresh/avatar stats gear.
-4 body
-3 boots
-1 ring
-6-7 staff

Easily caps you at -14 perp and gain +3/tick from just emp head and auto refresh. They are fairly easy/fast to make even solo. Thunder and whatever avatar you use most should be plenty. You can just adjust gear slightly (relic +2 head over emp for example) and use Chat for the avatars you don't use as often.
You only need -BP timer gear in your pact activation set.
[+]