FFXI On PC With A 360 Controller?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI on PC with a 360 controller?
FFXI on PC with a 360 controller?
First Page 2 3 4 5
By Jetackuu 2014-05-09 14:00:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Or can order from amazon and get it in 2 days, and it's hassle free, and you don't need to have extra crap installed/running on your pc :P
By Pantafernando 2014-05-09 14:04:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Or can order from amazon and get it in 2 days, and it's hassle free, and you don't need to have extra crap installed/running on your pc :P

Im in brasil, btw. If i want it to arrive in 2 days, prob i would have to buy 3 logitechs to make it happen.
By Jetackuu 2014-05-09 14:09:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »

Im in brasil, btw. If i want it to arrive in 2 days, prob i would have to buy 3 logitechs to make it happen.
fair enough, but the guy currently having the problem doesn't seem to be.

I personally prefer the feel of the original ps2 controller, but that's just me.

I don't own any wired 360 controllers, and I could never get the wireless to work properly, and I'll be damned if I'm paying for software to do so.
By Scruffyballs 2014-05-09 14:55:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Can get the Wired and Wireless drivers here http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/25711-Suggestion-Update-game-controller-support-for-Windows?p=355305&viewfull=1#post355305

Only issue is you computer will think your 360 controller is a Dinput (rather then Xinput) and you may need to revert to default drivers for it to work with newer games.
By Jetackuu 2014-05-09 14:59:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Links invalid it seems, I don't really feel like backreading the whole thread, I do recall never fully getting a wireless one to work, however as I now know where my receiver is, I could give it a whirl again.

I'll try it this weekend and let you know.

edit: this is what I was working with last time, and never got it to work, doesn't look to be updated either;

http://x360wc.tripod.com/index.html

I'll look into it more later, gotta clean/organize some stuff, and I'm in the middle of replaying X on the HD remake.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [110 days between previous and next post]
 Ragnarok.Raizensun
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Raizensun
By Ragnarok.Raizensun 2014-08-27 21:40:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I am new to playing on pc with a xbox controller but what is button 12?
By Jetackuu 2014-08-27 21:41:02
Link | Quote | Reply

open up the "usb game controller" window and it should tell you what each button is when you press it.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-08-27 23:00:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Button 12 is pushing the right joystick into the controller.

As reference, ffxi only recognizes two motion sensitive buttons, the left and the right joysticks. The two trigger buttons on the controller are motion sensitive naturally, but naturally will not be able to be used. These are setup as the macro buttons by default. You will need to use SEs FFXI config program to remap these. Is what I did was remap them to L1 and R1, then remapped those two functions (auto run and keyboard) to the buttons on either side of the XBox menu button.

The other option is to search the net and find the unsigned controller driver that will enable the triggers to be functional in ffxi, and manually install it. This will allow the triggers usage in ffxi, however, I found it will also disable there use in other games.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-27 23:23:12
Link | Quote | Reply

the 360 controller is an x-input device, XI only supports direct-input devices.

There's no known wireless 360 driver that works with the windows 7x64 platform to enable direct-input, if you find one, let me know (the best I can find is a vistax64 one, and it won't work, apparently).

X-input treats the r2/l2 as an axis, instead of as buttons, go figure.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-08-27 23:37:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea. That was my problem. I use a wireless 360 controller playing ffxi in windows 7. No trigger usage natively.

The one driver i found was unsigned on that JP site you referenced a while back. I was able to get it to work, but it was a pain, and since I played ff14 at the time also, I found it annoying that it made the triggers not work for 14, so I went back to the native driver and adapted to a slightly altered layout.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-27 23:39:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I just use a logitech controller on my one vm, and 2 ps2 via usb adapters on the other two :D

virtualizing your XI instance would fix that though.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-08-27 23:56:42
Link | Quote | Reply

What do you mean, virtualizing? Right now I occasionally run two instances, and I find it slightly annoying that once the second one is open, to use my controller, I have to have the specific window selected.

Also, when the controller turns itself off, it tends tell FFXI to spam a button. Like if I afk with the auction house price history up, it might spam the Button to get details of the selected sale, and it will spam my chat log non-stop with those details until I reactivate the controller.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-28 00:08:56
Link | Quote | Reply

emulator, aka virtualizing

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_player/6_0

windows

http://www.techverse.net/download-windows-7-iso-x86-x64-microsofts-official-servers/

Windows loader by daz:

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/8632-Archived-Windows-Loader-The-Official-Thread

(activates, not legal to do, technically).

FFXI:

http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxi/download/us/FFXISETUP.exe
http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxi/download/us/FINALFANTASYXI.Data.001
http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxi/download/us/FINALFANTASYXI.Data.002
http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxi/download/us/FINALFANTASYXI.Data.003
By Shogunazzazzin 2014-08-30 21:06:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I had to reboot win7 on my desktop and after installing everything needed to play and configuring the controller (afterglow for xbox/pc) everything seemed like it was good to go until I logged in and tried to open my macros with the BUMPERS, 13 for CTRL and 14 for ALT and what would happen is the macros would open but would close unless I held he buttons down. I never had to do this before and its not the case on my laptop or 2nd desktop, I can plug it right into my other desktop where I run my mules and it works just fine. Everything I can think of is configured the same way. Anyone know whats up with this problem?
By Jetackuu 2014-08-30 22:41:26
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're using xpadder for that, it's going to act like the ctrl+alt keys themselves, which close unless they're depressed.
By Shogunazzazzin 2014-08-31 01:32:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah not using xpadder or anything, I don't worry about using the triggers so I just download the drivers and use the bumpers. I just completely reinstalled the game and its still doing the same thing.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-31 01:39:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Well for starters the 360 controller isn't a direct-input device by default, you'd have to load special drivers for it to work properly in direct-input mode (as it's an x-input device).

If you're using l1/r/1 instead of l2/r2 as your macro controls, it's probably somewhere in that screw up. It could also be a windower/ffxi setting, I'm trying to remember the different settings in my head, and I can't recall them all, I set them all to a pretty standard one though.
By DARKH0RSE 2014-09-01 07:00:43
Link | Quote | Reply

The standard windows drivers are fine, if you use something like joy2key.

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/38973/getting-the-trigger-buttons-to-work#2385222

Personally after various re-installs since the above post, I just go without triggers nowadays and put macroes onto bumpers.
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-09-01 10:39:53
Link | Quote | Reply

DARKH0RSE said: »
The standard windows drivers are fine, if you use something like joy2key.

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/38973/getting-the-trigger-buttons-to-work#2385222

Personally after various re-installs since the above post, I just go without triggers nowadays and put macroes onto bumpers.

Using back and start buttons as run and screenshot functions are not a bad idea either lol
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 10:45:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd settle for that, but after years of playing I think my hands would throw a fit in rage, just from muscle memory.

Also: I can tell I'm not a 360 fanboy.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-09-01 11:25:10
Link | Quote | Reply

It took me 1-2 weeks to get used to my macro buttons being moved to the bumpers, and run being moved to the start button. It's not that big of a deal.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 11:29:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm old, and don't like change?

I'll just stick with my ps2>usb adapter anyway, I refuse to purchase a wired 360 controller
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [476 days between previous and next post]
 Lakshmi.Khyal
Server: Lakshmi
user: kelman66
By Lakshmi.Khyal 2015-12-21 19:14:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry for the necro-post but ffxipadconfig now has some new settings and I was able to get my xbox 360 wired controller working on Windows 8, triggers and all. It worked with Default E. No special drivers.

May try the wireless one in a bit.

Edit: Tried the xbox 360 wireless controller and it works like a charm. Plugged in the dongle and restarted the game on same Default E profile.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [896 days between previous and next post]
By lhova 2018-06-04 17:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a Logitech controller with 2 directional pads right & left bumpers and triggers. I can’t figure out how to make my triggers access the macro lines. I tried to use setup e but it doesn’t seem to be working. Any help would be greatly appreciated
By Jetackuu 2018-06-04 17:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

lhova said: »
I have a Logitech controller with 2 directional pads right & left bumpers and triggers. I can’t figure out how to make my triggers access the macro lines. I tried to use setup e but it doesn’t seem to be working. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Make sure you have the 360 controller for windows drivers installed

literally linked here:

then make sure x-input is selected if you're using the "x" mode on the back (assuming a F310), if yours doesn't have the switcher between "D" and "X" and is an old direct-input controller then ignore the above and make sure x-input isn't selected.
By RageQuit 2018-06-04 18:05:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I use a 360 controller and the bumpers trigger the macro bars, the triggers them self have never worked, I just use Xpadder to fix this. There is probably a better way to do it but thats how ive been doing it since i transitioned to PC 6 years ago
By Jetackuu 2018-06-04 18:12:16
Link | Quote | Reply

RageQuit said: »

I use a 360 controller and the bumpers trigger the macro bars, the triggers them self have never worked, I just use Xpadder to fix this. There is probably a better way to do it but thats how ive been doing it since i transitioned to PC 6 years ago

When you transferred SE didn't officially support x-input devices, now they do. So you could fix that, easily.