FFXI On PC With A 360 Controller?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI on PC with a 360 controller?
FFXI on PC with a 360 controller?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-09-16 14:13:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jaregue said: »
i'm on windows7 with 360 controller and the triggers working fine
you have to use XBCD and driver signer enforcement overrider to enable testmode, that gets windows to sign the xbcd driver for the triggers to work

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/9118-xbcd-drivers-xbox-360-gamepad.html
instructions post #3

guess i should edit, this only works for wired controllers i believe

I'm actually having a problem with this myself on Windows 7 x32. I follow the directions perfectly, and when I get to the part where I update the driver to XBCD after I sign it, and it says "Show compatible hardware", only the default MS driver shows up and not the XBCD driver. I've followed directions entirely but XBCD is not on the list of compatible hardware, whether or not the box is checked or not. I have test mode enabled, and I've signed the XBCD driver as well, but it just won't show up on the list.

Anybody know any way to get this working? I've recently gotten a new laptop so I have it working on my old one with XP but this one, not so easy.
[+]
 Asura.Meowzma
Server: Asura
user: meowzma
By Asura.Meowzma 2011-09-16 14:33:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Virtuosus said: »
Anybody know any way to get this working?

Sorry but, why are people being dumb? There's really no need.

XBCD was for the vanilla Xbox joypad, when you either bought an adapter, or buy a cheap port from ebay and solder the tail wires of the port to a USB lead, like I did :3

I hope you've realised that the Xbox 360 pad is USB ready, and as such, it already has official drivers for it, and I mean official in the sense that if you plug your 360 pad into your pc and run Windows Update, it'll give you the option to download the drivers from there.

In case you missed it, you can always google it, or go here:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows

I'm running Windows 7 64, using the 360 pad with the above drivers.
 Asura.Dinen
user: dinendale
By Asura.Dinen 2011-09-16 14:34:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Not read all the replies but I use the shoulder buttons instead of the triggers , takes a little getting used to but works well
 Asura.Meowzma
By Asura.Meowzma 2011-09-16 14:37:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dinen said: »
Not read all the replies but I use the shoulder buttons instead of the triggers , takes a little getting used to but works well

FFXI doesn't recognise the triggers, only the shoulder buttons. It's not a joypad/driver issue, the game is just old.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-09-16 14:37:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Meowzma said: »

Deadzone, rumble support, and triggers don't work with shitty default MS drivers.

My question still stands, if anybody can help.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-09-16 14:38:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dinen said: »

FFXI doesn't recognise the triggers, only the shoulder buttons. It's not a joypad/driver issue, the game is just old.

You can get them to work fine with XBCD and other third party drivers, again, which is why I am not using the default drivers. Not being dumb at all.
 Asura.Meowzma
By Asura.Meowzma 2011-09-16 14:40:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Deadzone, rumble support, and triggers don't work with shitty default MS drivers.

My question still stands, if anybody can help.

XBCD drivers aren't digitally signed drivers, W7 ignores them for some sort of security issue, I forget why. There are workarounds if you scan the internet, but really, it's not worth it for the sake of rumble. Just accept defeat.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-09-16 14:43:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I already signed the XBCD drivers...do you read posts AT ALL? I'm asking someone for help who knows how to fix it, not for your opinion. You can go away now.
By Darkzeru 2011-09-16 16:10:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know if controller itself has drivers built into it.....but... i bought one of the radio shack controllers (gigaware) PS2 style controller.....and when I went to the button config screen... it recognized the triggers while i play....didn't download anything third party anything *shrugs*

EDIT:
To clarify I'm referring to this
Gigaware® USB Wired Controller for PC
And the triggers are recognized on that controller w/o a need of third party stuff (atleast it did with me)

Before that I had...
Logitech - F310 Gamepad
This one (like the 360 controller) Triggers don't work so yea you'd probably use some 3rd PArty Driver or unless you do how I did and made my macro buttons LB and RB instead of LT and RT...the wiring seems weak on these since within 3months the part of the cord that connects to the controller started to get loose and soon the wired shows....and I'm secure with my stuff...

Orginally.... I had 360 Wire Controller but that controller was super old (like one of the orginals) and just stopped working. I was being cheap that day so I figured instead of paying $30 for a controller (the logitech one) I just bought the radio shack one and the triggers work on that normally for some reason...unsure why but I'm not complaining :)
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-09-16 17:34:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Finally got it to work! Left/Right Triggers, Rumble Support, and Deadzone all with XBCD, working with FFXI on Windows 7. It seems I was downloading the wrong version (outdated) of XBCD this entire time and that's why it wasn't working.

If any of you still have any problems, here is the newest version of it, compatible with Vista/Windows 7: http://www.xtemu.com/forum/files/file/48-xbcd/

Guess I didn't suffer defeat, after all!
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [91 days between previous and next post]
 Phoenix.Wackatramp
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Wackatramp 2011-12-16 18:33:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay. Im having a bit of an issue.

I just installed the xbox controller on my laptop. Everything works fine except for the issue that when i run forward, its like im selecting something also. I'll run, and then something to the front or to the side of me will be selected. Every time i run, i hear the "selecting/clicking" sound.

How do i configure it to not do this? And can i get the dpad to work? I installed the newest XBCD driver, and my triggers do work. All is well except for this little issue.
 Phoenix.Wackatramp
By Phoenix.Wackatramp 2011-12-16 18:39:57
Link | Quote | Reply

NVM. Fixed. Playing at work just got 10x easier.

Peace.
 Phoenix.Ladyjazz
Premium
user: Ladyjazz
By Phoenix.Ladyjazz 2011-12-16 18:59:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Using xpadder and an adapter(off ebay) to get my PS2 controller mapped and connected to the PC. I didn't mind actually paying $9.99 to support xpadder. They have a neat lil pict of a controller u can DL to help configure. Took about 5 mins to define the PS2 controller in Windows, then 2 mins to config in POL.
 Bahamut.Lilsanchez
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Lilsanchez 2011-12-16 19:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

i did it a ghetto way since triggers didnt work properly. i changed macro buttons into my start and select on the 360 controller. takes a bit getting used too but its not bad lol
 Phoenix.Wackatramp
By Phoenix.Wackatramp 2011-12-16 19:16:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I ve read that people who couldn't get the triggers to work used the left and right bumpers instead.

But yeah, I spent the better part of two hours configuring my PC and looking for the right files to download. I went into it blindly and everything works good except that every time I close/open my laptop, I have to reinstall the same drivers. Takes like 30 seconds.

Im considering on starting a pure BST/WHM mule now. My Farsha and Gandiva won't finish themselves.
 Siren.Mshadows
Server: Siren
user: mshadows
By Siren.Mshadows 2011-12-16 19:21:25
Link | Quote | Reply

anyone mention or tried "joy2key" with a wired xbox controller? I havent tried it myself for this but i use it for games that dont allow controllers at all. You just map you key and run the small app in the background. can google it for the down load and more in depth info if you like.
 Cerberus.Yannie
Server: Cerberus
user: TheYannie
By Cerberus.Yannie 2011-12-16 20:28:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to use a ps3 controller on the PC. It worked really well with Motionjoy until, for some reason, Motionjoy just ***the bed one day.
I saw someone mention the Gamestop 3rd party ps3 controller works. Picked one up and it works perfectly with no set up aside from button layout.

Sylph.Katalsar
Server: Sylph
user: Katalsar
By Sylph.Katalsar 2011-12-16 20:30:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey I use my xbox 360 controller on my PC (Vista version).

If you need the link to forum here it is.

http://redcl0ud.1.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=1535&st=75

I Hope this help you people out. Just follow the forum and directions and presto you can calibrate your xbox 360 (WIRED) controller to whatever you like..
 Phoenix.Wackatramp
By Phoenix.Wackatramp 2011-12-16 20:49:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah. It's a wired controller I use. I'd like to use wireless due to me playing at work and such, but Ive read that it's near/impossible to configure the buttons correctly on a wireless. Kind of a shame if true. My cord is massive and I have a small space to play in. I have to like wrap the cord up with tape.
 Cerberus.Deadplaything
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Deadplaything 2011-12-17 04:44:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Do not use the Afterglow controllers you find they came out with, they are nice and pretty for about a week but if you are a hardcore player the wires dont last more than a month the wires on the inside have problems. I have been through 5 controllers and all of them keep losing connectivity. I keep taking them back but I dont have a reciept so they only let me trade for the same item. If you are going to use a wired controller use a mad katz or a original wired xbox controller. STAY AWAY FROM AFTERGLOWS!!
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Server: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2011-12-17 05:04:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I have and use a xbox controller designed for the pc, have absolutely no problems with it. I would however like to get the back trigger buttons to work. Anyone know of a good way to get them to recognize as regular buttons?

Edit: use wireless, have had for 3 weeks, no problems.
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2011-12-17 07:00:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Just mentioning the triggers issue, it's because FFXI expect them to be digital buttons but in it's infinite wisdom, Microsoft programmed the drivers (it's not a specific behavior of the hardware, it's the Driver that enforces it) so the trigger buttons are bound into a single axis (they're actually two separate analog axis hardware wise...).

The purpose of that is use the two trigger buttons as an single analog axis for driving games (Gas/Brakes pedal). -_-;

Not everyone will have patience to disable driver signing just to use the 360 controller with FFXI.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [80 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Bluespoons
By Asura.Bluespoons 2012-03-06 11:29:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm trying to set up a wired 360 controller for the game atm. I set it up as close to playing on the xbox as I could, but I'm having some issues.

I can't get the dpad to work for menus... or at all, really. (what *** number is it!)

When I start the game up, I'm auto targeted on myself and when I untarget myself, it just retargets.

When I hit a macro button, the different pages in that set spam continuously through all of them.

I know this should be easy, but I'm at least partially technologically HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE :\
 Shiva.Gib
Server: Shiva
user: Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2012-03-06 11:31:04
Link | Quote | Reply

stupid question, you went into the FFXI Config and configured the D-Pad to navigate menus right?
 Asura.Fondue
user: Caliber
By Asura.Fondue 2012-03-06 11:31:06
Link | Quote | Reply

sounds like the dpad on your xbox controller is just stuck o_o is it a functioning controller?

also my controller does the spamming down through the character select menu until I tab to the first ffxi process I had open and then tab back to my mule's for some reason
 Asura.Bluespoons
By Asura.Bluespoons 2012-03-06 11:33:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I went to the directional controller section and hit menus and used the dpad for the config, but it doesn't work at all because I fail at life or w/e.

It better be a working controller lol we just bought it last night!
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2012-03-06 11:35:25
Link | Quote | Reply

search for the custom driver for it, the targeting sounds like the mouse issue I have when I dualbox.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2012-03-06 11:36:12
Link | Quote | Reply

for a 360 controller to work properly for ffxi you have to have it on directinput which requires a custom driver, not the official windows one.
 Asura.Bluespoons
By Asura.Bluespoons 2012-03-06 11:40:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bleh, so lazy. Think I'll wait for my bf to get home and *** around with all that. Thanks for the tip, I'll let you know how it goes ^^
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2012-03-06 11:41:50
Link | Quote | Reply

It's something I'm going to have to learn here soon how to write in some C to get controller support for a friend's game. gah.