Is FFXI Dying?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Is FFXI Dying?
Is FFXI Dying?
First Page 2 3 4 ... 9 10 11
 Asura.Aaronus
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: aaronus
By Asura.Aaronus 2009-04-17 09:47:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Alyria said:
Stop feeding into this junk, she only made the thread to get attention to make 10 pages...

Seriously we all know that its not dying, its just being revamped too much to please those that wanna make the game easy.

Very much agree, I was disappointed that when I got halfway on CoP missions when the started making those easier. I was happy be done with it well before levelsync came about. I honestly feel a lot of the new stuff is a bit easy, but i guess there has to be easy somewhere to keep new players coming or this game will die.
 Asura.Aaronus
user: aaronus
By Asura.Aaronus 2009-04-17 09:52:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Excesspain said:
Aaronus said:
Excesspain said:
nerd.

And I make good money at it being a nerd, Do you?

Haha actually I do, the "this isn't a nerdy post" just gave me the urge to call you a nerd :D

HA Touché
 Asura.Icon
user: ic0n67
By Asura.Icon 2009-04-17 09:53:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Excesspain said:
Icon said:
The answer is: FFXI reached its pinnacle with Treasures. After that story arch was complete the game started on a long downhill tread to the proverbial light. It will still be years and years before people would ever consider it dead, but it will come and it will not get any better than ToAU44.

I would say it peaked at CoP. I had WAY more fun doing those missions then anything else in the game so far. Especially watching Prishe dropkick the ***out of Promathia. Everytime she did it cracked me up.

Might be right there. The missions were all encompassing, you were involved from level 30 til 75, and you did fight a god ...
 Asura.Endelig
user: endelig
By Asura.Endelig 2009-04-17 09:59:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
 Valefor.Sketchkat
Server: Valefor
user: sketchkat
By Valefor.Sketchkat 2009-04-17 10:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Etrayis said:
flooding with n00bs, flooding with WoW n00bs, losing most of it's greatest players, and slowly turning into a kids game. Nothing major. XD

To be honest, I think it's the opposite. FFXI has never been new-player-friendly to begin with, especially compared to something like WoW. I seriously doubt very many "WoW n00bs" are going to stick with a game as difficult as FFXI for very long. I'm sure a few of them will, but they're hardly the downfall of Vana'diel. If anything, it brings a bit of diversity.

That's my biggest problem with the game: a lack of diversity. Out of the 15k or so people on each server, it's unofficially ruled by a small percentage of the "hardcore" ones. You know the type(or in some cases, you *are* the type): standing around WG all day, arguing amongst each other about microscopic differences in one pair of gloves over another while waiting for yet another SAM to show up for your merit/nyzul party, and when the occasional new player sticks with the game long to actually make it to WG, they get mocked and insulted when asking for help in a genkai or something.

These are the people who ensure that nobody who spends less than 8 hours a day in-game will ever be accepted into the fold. And since SE creates ridiculous content that caters only to these people, new content will be geared toward a progressively smaller and smaller amount of hyper-nerds with each update, and eventually the people who only play for fun will have no reason to play at all. That's pretty much the opposite of a "kids game".
Server: Remora
By Remora.Disintegration 2009-04-17 10:24:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Everyone should quit playing this game.

Don't you remember what fun life was?

I'm 3 weeks sober.
Server: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2009-04-17 10:25:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think the game is dying, there seems to be a good cycle of new people coming in and old players going out.
Besides as SE has already stated: "We will continue to support FFXI and make new expansions as long as people are playing."
 Phoenix.Azuzu
Server: Phoenix
user: Azuzu
By Phoenix.Azuzu 2009-04-17 10:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Sketchkat said:
I seriously doubt very many "WoW n00bs" are going to stick with a game as difficult as FFXI for very long.

.... In my opinion every update they release dumbs down the game more and more... how is this game "difficult" anymore?
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-04-17 10:37:38
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Azuzu said:
Sketchkat said:
I seriously doubt very many "WoW n00bs" are going to stick with a game as difficult as FFXI for very long.

.... In my opinion every update they release dumbs down the game more and more... how is this game "difficult" anymore?

In all honesty they haven't really changed the "difficulty" of anything. They made things more convenient and casual-player friendly, however by no means did they truly adjust conformity of how you wish to play or what you choose to fight. Anyone remember the original Fafnir? Nobody could beat it and people bitched, so they raised the level cap, not the NM's difficulty.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Endelig
By Asura.Endelig 2009-04-17 10:41:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Mabrook said:
1) You can never quit FFXI unless you throw away all your r/e items then delete your character.

2) FFXI is not dying, there's only so much that you can do in game over and over again then it just gets boring.

3) diaf.

They added bell chimes though, that never gets boring!
 Hades.Jacinda
Server: Hades
user: Jacinda
By Hades.Jacinda 2009-04-17 10:46:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Sketchkat said:

That's my biggest problem with the game: a lack of diversity. Out of the 15k or so people on each server, it's unofficially ruled by a small percentage of the "hardcore" ones. You know the type(or in some cases, you *are* the type): standing around WG all day, arguing amongst each other about microscopic differences in one pair of gloves over another while waiting for yet another SAM to show up for your merit/nyzul party, and when the occasional new player sticks with the game long to actually make it to WG, they get mocked and insulted when asking for help in a genkai or something.

I agree with this to a point. While I don't think this game is dying in any way, I do think that both the game and some of the players have been around for so long that they no longer play for the fun of the game. The "spirit of adventure", so to speak. It's now all about verification of formulas on wikipedia, getting merits, or seeing who has the absolute best gear set for any given situation and playing the job to what some consider its maximum potential.

When the fun is gone, what do you have left? A overbearing sense of emptiness and a belief that the game you once loved is suddenly on the verge of death.

There's my noobish $.02
 Asura.Endelig
By Asura.Endelig 2009-04-17 10:48:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Jacinda said:
Sketchkat said:

I agree with this to a point. While I don't think this game is dying in any way, I do think that both the game and some of the players have been around for so long that they no longer play for the fun of the game. The "spirit of adventure", so to speak. It's now all about verification of formulas on wikipedia, getting merits, or seeing who has the absolute best gear set for any given situation and playing the job to what some consider its maximum potential.

When the fun is gone, what do you have left? A overbearing sense of emptiness and a belief that the game you once loved is suddenly on the verge of death.

There's my noobish $.02

So did you just describe a genre?
 Hades.Jacinda
By Hades.Jacinda 2009-04-17 10:55:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I just described what I've seen in the time I've played this game. If that is what this genre normally does, then I suppose I did. ^^
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2009-04-17 10:56:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Celene said:
I don't know why people keep complaining about the mini expansions. They were never suppose to be anything major. They were just to provide players with side stories. C'mon, people.
I don't think FFXI is actually dying. It's just a term the older players are using to describe the new era. I've seen about as much as the next person in line that's been playing since 2004 or longer. Yeah, lots of things have come and gone. Lots of friends and for certain lots of old techniques that are now obsolete. (SC/MB, anyone?) I still feel as if the game is still running strong.
In short, I will have to say: no.

As one Canadian said to this thread, I will have to agree with her.. Nice post Celene, I wouldn't have said it more clearer! PROPS!
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-17 11:04:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Jacinda said:
It's now all about verification of formulas on wikipedia, getting merits, or seeing who has the absolute best gear set for any given situation and playing the job to what some consider its maximum potential.

I can understand the frustration, and all I can really say is the game is what you make of it. I complained in another thread about how absolutely boring people have gotten with this game, how close-minded when it comes to different things...party setups, job/subjob combinations, cookie cutter strategies, etc. The way it was explained to me made a lot of sense (whoever that was, credit where credit's due and all that); basically, the O.G.'s, the ones that have been playing since launch or not long after...they've all done their exploring, done their playing around with different things to see if it works or not...and now, to a lot of them, it's "Let's just get this ***done already so we can move on to the next thing". Can't say I blame them...my 6th trip to 75 might make me a tad impatient, too. Obviously there's still some enjoyment there, or else they wouldn't be playing...I would think anyways.

My Linkshell goes a long way towards helping me through when I get frustrated with those types of mentalities in the game, so I can only recommend to find a group of more adventurous, explorer types as yourself and static with them. You can get your experimentation done, without the O.G.'s losing their ***because you wanna bring a weird job for any given event.
 Hades.Jacinda
By Hades.Jacinda 2009-04-17 11:08:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh I agree. I was in that thread with you about the cookie-cutter strategies. For this one; however, I'm merely responding to why some might think the game is dying. I don't see this game as dead or dying in the slightest, but I just got here too. There is still so much for me to see and do and I enjoy the little things, like walking around Miseraux coast and looking at the scenery. The veterans, on the other hand, look to the days gone by and sigh at what has become of this game today.

It's the same if you were to ask an elderly person what they think of the world now compared to what it was when they were kids. This world has gone to hell in a handbasket according to them, but to a child or young adult, it's the exact opposite.

EDIT: Just changed the wording on a few things.
 Cerberus.Oric
Server: Cerberus
user: Oric
By Cerberus.Oric 2009-04-17 11:14:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Jacinda said:
Sketchkat said:

There's my noobish $.02

You are right, after playing for about 5 years now it's really turned into that. Although it's not so much that I've turned into this number crunching over-the-top perfectionist, it's the fact that the majority of older players have, which makes it virtually impossible for me to have fun when I can't even walk around WG as a DRK/RNG (just for shits and giggles) w/o 15 people trying to flame me and lon00bing me to death.

It's really come to be ridiculous that with everything you do there is a certain path you have to follow and if you stray just a bit from it, you are condemned. I hate the fact other people try to play the game for me, if only they would pay my monthly fees. :(
 Diabolos.Rianu
Server: Diabolos
user: Rianu
By Diabolos.Rianu 2009-04-17 11:18:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I like to consider the HNMs, and the 21-24hr spawn NMs.
Because these are unobtainable by almost any player, as they spawn 1/server/24hours, for like, 5k+ players/server, and some of them (simurgh) have less than 10% droprate(thatbitch), there will almost always be something you havnt gotten or done, on a technical level, Unless you have a huge possee of followers who bow to your every whim 24/7..........
 Garuda.Fullen
Server: Garuda
user: fullen
By Garuda.Fullen 2009-04-17 11:18:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I was lvl 74 Bard for almost a week, seeking for hours and got nothing.

My bard mule used to get blind invites every couple hours so, WTF?!
 Asura.Ktjrn
user:
By Asura.Ktjrn 2009-04-17 11:19:52

Fullen said:
I was lvl 74 Bard for almost a week, seeking for hours and got nothing.

My bard mule used to get blind invites every couple hours so, WTF?!

Bard LFP sucks just as much as WHM lfp'ing.

I hate waiting so i just log.. no time to wait
 Ramuh.Sagittario
Server: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2009-04-17 11:20:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
Sagittario said:
FFXI is becoming a victim of its own success, with such a vast choice of missions/jobs/quests based on teaming up with other players, its become caught up in a pitfall as there are less and less players now that the online gaming market is taking off, hence SE is taking desperate steps to keep players by introducing features such as level sync, npcs, fields of valour etc to allow players to feel they are still able to achieve something without having to wait hours to build a PT for something like CoP. Whilst I am FF till I die >.> I will also be spending a hell of alot of my FF time on the new Star Wars MMO when its released.

You're a United fan, you posted an awesome screenshot ridiculing PUP and you're also wise. Have my babies!

>_>
 Ramuh.Sagittario
Server: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2009-04-17 11:21:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Haseyo said:
Yet he can't even get through ZM4 without aggroing just about everything ;o

Hey I was standing outside the temple doing 1337 damage bish :P
 Phoenix.Felipe
Server: Phoenix
user: Felipe
By Phoenix.Felipe 2009-04-17 11:21:15
Link | Quote | Reply

WoW need to die first...
 Diabolos.Rianu
By Diabolos.Rianu 2009-04-17 11:22:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Oric said:
Jacinda said:
Sketchkat said:

There's my noobish $.02

You are right, after playing for about 5 years now it's really turned into that. Although it's not so much that I've turned into this number crunching over-the-top perfectionist, it's the fact that the majority of older players have, which makes it virtually impossible for me to have fun when I can't even walk around WG as a DRK/RNG (just for shits and giggles) w/o 15 people trying to flame me and lon00bing me to death.

It's really come to be ridiculous that with everything you do there is a certain path you have to follow and if you stray just a bit from it, you are condemned. I hate the fact other people try to play the game for me, if only they would pay my monthly fees. :(

Oooooooh.
Drk/Rng, I'm such a nub I never thought about DRK using Marksmanship WSs. That's kinda neato, altho, I'm sure they'd whiff alot. xD
 Cerberus.Oric
Server: Cerberus
user: Oric
By Cerberus.Oric 2009-04-17 11:25:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Rianu said:
Oric said:
Jacinda said:
Sketchkat said:

There's my noobish $.02

Oooooooh.
Drk/Rng, I'm such a nub I never thought about DRK using Marksmanship WSs. That's kinda neato, altho, I'm sure they'd whiff alot. xD

Lol, I never actually do anything as it, I just had it subbed for fun day when I was bored and went out killing stuff.

Then I get back to whitegate and get laughed at for a good 30 mins, it was just stupid -.-
 Diabolos.Rianu
By Diabolos.Rianu 2009-04-17 11:25:57
Link | Quote | Reply

/feeds the troll
 Diabolos.Rianu
By Diabolos.Rianu 2009-04-17 11:27:43
Link | Quote | Reply

User submitted image
 Asura.Endelig
By Asura.Endelig 2009-04-17 11:28:14
Link | Quote | Reply

did someone say troll?

User submitted image
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-04-17 11:28:53

It's okay, you can always laugh right back at them for having superiority complex disorders from a video game. That's more pathetic than any bizarre in game combination or action.
First Page 2 3 4 ... 9 10 11