Is FFXI Dying?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Is FFXI Dying?
Is FFXI Dying?
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2024-02-13 22:38:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Senaki said: »
(Alliance required)!
I'll give you it for tree-fiddy! OMG did I say TREE, I'm so sorry! U need to make new one. oh nvm it's full of boomies and bears now.

Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Server: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2024-02-13 23:06:57
Link | Quote | Reply

BlackmoreKnight said: »
Additionally, crafted gear for early raiding or latecomer catchup. The prestige in XIV doesn't come from doing something 200 times until you get the respective currencies or get lucky with RNG for a boost in player power, the prestige comes from figuring out the content and doing it first in as minimal gear as they tune for it to be doable in. Or from having a shiny weapon that the hardest prestige content drops, or speedrunning the content and doing the highest DPS to post on a third party logging website. The equivalent to Master Trial weapons over in XIV are very coveted and the draw to doing that content is both the experience of doing the content itself for the sake of it as well as having a shiny weapon to show off.

It's a very different game model that puts the content at the forefront and not the job or equipment. As sort of an exaggerated example, if you don't have an Aegis in XI, there's just going to be some content that you can't expect to do regardless of how good you are at PLD or know the content in question. Because in XI's model, having that Aegis in the first place is considered part of being "good at PLD".

There's benefits to both approaches and it's largely a subjective matter of taste. I will agree that it's cheaper to throw some new stats and math and a singular gimmick on an otherwise mostly reused NM and put it in a box instead of design a wholly new 10-20 minute encounter with a new mechanic happening every 30-60s when you need to design more fights. XIV's model demands bespoke content and encounters while XI can just reuse the Vagary NMs like 5 times with a slightly different twist each time and it's content, especially if you ask people to do it 200 times.

Ehh, in XIV there really isn't a way to gain prestige from raw gameplay imo. Even if you go do all of the ultimates or have all of the trophies or get all of the achievements, a wide swathe of the XIV playerbase just calls you a sweaty try hard no lifer. Another part of it asks if you can do those ultimates as any job or role. Another asks if you're orange/gold parsing them. I'd say the only real way one earns prestige for XIV is by becoming a widely known social persona. Like almost everyone knows who the guide makers are, who the glamor designers are, who the challenge runners are etc. ONLY if their youtube videos or twitch streams get them noticed.

Like there are at least half a dozen notable personalities that are known all over the place for things that have no relation to the gameplay or how good they are at.

TL;DR unlike XI's players, the interests, pursuits, and values of XIV players are so diverse and different from XI's that gameplay and its reward structure matter very little to the majority of folks playing it. And that's by the nature of its majority complaining that giving better players gameplay gated gear that is better than what casuals can acquire would be unfair.

You see them shout about it loudest when raiders get the dyeable version of a really cool armor set.

Their willingness to not upset casuals has actually caused some of their most recent content in the Variant/Criterion dungeons to be unappealing, because they give so few things that people care about that they may as well be fruitless endeavors once you've done them for their story.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2024-02-13 23:16:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vyre said: »
Their willingness to not upset casuals has actually caused some of their most recent content in the Variant/Criterion dungeons to be unappealing, because they give so few things that people care about that they may as well be fruitless endeavors once you've done them for their story.
This same ***happened in WoW. It gave birth to "welfare epics" meme. Got bad news tho, it's not gonna change anytime soon.
[+]
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2024-02-14 02:19:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Negan said: »
Odin.Senaki said: »
(Alliance required)!
I'll give you it for tree-fiddy! OMG did I say TREE, I'm so sorry! U need to make new one. oh nvm it's full of boomies and bears now.

I have a Vulpera. I can take it on the w-horde. UwU
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-02-14 06:45:20
Link | Quote | Reply

XI is from an era where the psychology used upon you was to keep you subbed as long as possible (so they turned the most serious hardcore players into celebrities), in XIV and Wow they just take it for granted you'll stay subbed and concentrate on cash shop psychology.

From a business standpoint for a public company, XI does everything wrong and XIV is an Olympic gold medal winner. In terms of monetization and player psychology anyway.

XI players back in the day, used to stand around town in busy areas to show off their gear. I still remember the first person I saw in full sky gear in upper jeuno and this was 20 years ago.

On XIV the players who buy the newest cash shop stuff act the same exact way, and buying the new cosmetics the fastest (to the point they almost crash the server with their impatience) is their prime concern.

The developers successfully reworked the prestige players sought by working for the hardest to get gear and getting it first, into buying the newest outfits the fastest. They actively try to stomp out "sweaty" behavior, because it's bad for business. Even this term is astroturfed from the companies (mainly blizz).

Companies don't want their players to value in-game achievements, they want them to value ones that cost $.
[+]
By zeta 2024-02-14 07:08:34
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
XI is from an era where the psychology used upon you was to keep you subbed as long as possible (so they turned the most serious hardcore players into celebrities), in XIV and Wow they just take it for granted you'll stay subbed and concentrate on cash shop psychology.

From a business standpoint for a public company, XI does everything wrong and XIV is an Olympic gold medal winner. In terms of monetization and player psychology anyway.

XI players back in the day, used to stand around town in busy areas to show off their gear. I still remember the first person I saw in full sky gear in upper jeuno and this was 20 years ago.

On XIV the players who buy the newest cash shop stuff act the same exact way, and buying the new cosmetics the fastest (to the point they almost crash the server with their impatience) is their prime concern.

The developers successfully reworked the prestige players sought by working for the hardest to get gear and getting it first, into buying the newest outfits the fastest. They actively try to stomp out "sweaty" behavior, because it's bad for business. Even this term is astroturfed from the companies (mainly blizz).

Companies don't want their players to value in-game achievements, they want them to value ones that cost $.

Reading this made me very nostalgic and extremely sad at the same time. I would love to see someone at SE get a hold of this game that actually played and loved it. I think she still have so much life left if anyone would care for the old girl.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2024-02-14 07:49:20
Link | Quote | Reply

zeta said: »
I think she still have so much life left if anyone would care for the old girl.
I only just started getting an iota serious about the modern endgame, and I've been having an absolute blast. I'm sure not every event is super fun, but I know I'd be happy if they kept adding more stuff to do.

Every run is a lesson to be learned. Always thinking about ways to squeeze even 1% more out of the same event next time.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-02-14 13:34:05
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI every year since its death was imminent back in 2008:
[+]
 Asura.Xysto
Server: Asura
By Asura.Xysto 2024-02-14 14:24:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I think private servers are killing retail tremendously
[+]
By zigzagzig 2024-02-14 17:49:47
Link | Quote | Reply

At +30 euros / month for fillers and nothing else ....

S.E should unplug the servers, Those roadmaps full of nothing....

1 year away now, can't wait to go back for those News contents, maps, expensions, Jobs etc etc .....

Ho wait ....... i was dreaming ^^;

( having a blast on my GW2, and black desert ! )

Square Enix.... a Dying Compagny, runs by Old Zombies in a suit.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11