Texas: It's the Future
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-06-15 12:00:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said:
Just to answer a previous post, this is how the USA are seen from the outside(just for fun and no offense intended)

Some calls them the United States of Hollywood.

You should add the label "Deliverance" across Virginia/West Virginia.
I was sitting next to a French guy on the plane a few days ago, and I told him I was from Virginia, and he said, "Oh, I've seen a movie about that! It was called Deliverance!."

It's not much better than the Norwegian guy from the plane before, "So, when you get back to Virginia, are you going to drive tractor?"
 Siren.Inuyushi
Server: Siren
user: Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2011-06-15 12:02:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kalyna said:
70% is definitely not right
http://www.bea.gov/regional/gdpmap/GDPMap.aspx
they're like 10%

TX 8.3% according to the BEA

OH HEY LOOK
CA 13.1%

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Speaking on that.....who was the guy talking about how "Petrolium Economies get hit less harder than the rest in a bad recession"?

What about Hollywood and all their movies? Sure they're getting hit hard but doesn't CA get a % off those movies? Like billions here no? Wouldn't you say these two economies can somewhat be on the same foot? (I can be wrong, just eyeballing this so dont flame too hard, I am truly curious)
 Ifrit.Daemun
Server: Ifrit
user: daemun
By Ifrit.Daemun 2011-06-15 12:04:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
Ifrit.Daemun said:

Taking the average incomes, 1500 in property taxes is paltry compared to 4500 in income taxes (this is the differences mind you).

You've assumed that all properties are valued @ $100k in Texas. If that were the case, then yes, $1500 more in property taxes in Texas outweighs the cost of $4500 more in income taxes in California.
However, if your Texas property value totals $300k, then you're paying $4500 more in property taxes than you would in California, which is equivalent to the $4500 income tax difference we've previously cited.
If your property value exceeds $300k, then you are now paying more in Texas property taxes than you would in California income taxes.
"Mind you".
I took the numbers directly from your data. I really didn't want to have to go here but you've forced my hand.

Let's take the average salary for a Texan, and I'm going to simplify because I can't be bothered to go back to your earlier post and look them up. $45,000, they have a $150,000 home. They pay 0% state income tax. They pay 3,000 in property taxes (this is actual based on my home value and taxes). That $150,000 home costs $800/mo for mortgage and insurance (disregarding taxes as that is separated). That payment comes to 9600/yr.

Maths: 45,000-9600-3000-x(groceries, utilities, etc)=32,400-x

California: $52,000 for income, they have a $275,000 home. They pay 9% in state income tax totaling 4,680. They pay 500 in property tax (a conservative guess). The $275,000 home costs $1500/mo between mortgage and insurance (again taxes are separate) totaling $18,000/yr. You can see already that house payment alone is going to hurt compared to essentially the same (or a better) house in TX.

Maths: 52,000-18000-4680-500-x=28,820-x

Here's the real kicker; groceries, fuel and utilities are all higher in California. Ergo, x is a larger value in the California model. You have to take more, from less.

The moral of the story, is that you can live 'higher on the hog' in Texas off of less income. Does that make it the best state ever? No. Do other things combined with this make it the best state? Yes. Is the economic model of Texas a good one to follow for other states? Yes
 Ifrit.Daemun
By Ifrit.Daemun 2011-06-15 12:05:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kalyna said:
70% is definitely not right
http://www.bea.gov/regional/gdpmap/GDPMap.aspx
they're like 10%

TX 8.3% according to the BEA

OH HEY LOOK
CA 13.1%

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
It was an absolute joke...everything's bigger in TX you know...
By zahrah 2011-06-15 12:06:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Is this becoming the California versus Texas thread, or what?

I stated that 50% of Texas is classified as arid OR semiarid. You said about 20% of Texas could be considered arid.

Those two statements are not contradictory. We are both correct.

Those semi-arid regions are only semi-arid here dependent on the weather patterns. When the Guadalupe or Colorado flood there is nothing arid about this region for at least a year. You must have come during a drought.

I still wouldn't classify half the state as being arid or semi-arid.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2011-06-15 12:07:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Texas has hick girls with 1-5 teeth missing so it costs less to live there.

California has the hotties so it costs more to live there.

Which is better D=
[+]
 Ifrit.Daemun
By Ifrit.Daemun 2011-06-15 12:08:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Inuyushi said:
I wish I could find a picture of what I'm talking about with the Power Stacks.
I know what you're talking about. They are working on that, but yes they look promising.
Siren.Inuyushi said:

Also, iirc the highest efficiency that a Solar Panel could put out under the power of 100 suns was (overestimating) 5% no? I just don't have much faith in that.
It is of no matter, there are no moving parts and the initial cost of solar is actually considerably less than even small scale wind. With virtually no maintenance costs, efficiency means nothing. The objective of solar is to continue to push the initial costs down. That will continue to negate the efficiency rating.
 Sylph.Spency
Server: Sylph
user: Spencyono
By Sylph.Spency 2011-06-15 12:10:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kalyna said:

Which is better D=

Canada :)
[+]
By zahrah 2011-06-15 12:10:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's talk about California's over-inflated real estate prices!

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Server: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2011-06-15 12:11:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kalyna said:

Which is better D=

i know of at least one texas hottie, and i know one girl from cali i want to slap a few times. i'll go with texas!
 Ifrit.Daemun
By Ifrit.Daemun 2011-06-15 12:11:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kalyna said:

Which is better D=
There are tons of very hot women in this state. Majority of them had God given beauty too, and not under the knife. I'd rather start with an 8 that doesn't need much to be 1/1,000,000 than a 4 that used $20,000 in surgery to get where she is.

Someone from this thread is a perfect example. She looks damn good (oh and has a personality too)[yes those matter to me]

zahrah said:
Let's talk about California's over-inflated real estate prices!
It no longer exists...
By zahrah 2011-06-15 12:11:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kalyna said:

Which is better D=

I love you, but *** off! <3
 Siren.Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2011-06-15 12:12:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kalyna said:

Which is better D=

I think you're mistaking Louisiana for Texas. People do get this confused alot! But really if you want a good woman, find one from Iowa =D

When was this not a TX vs CA thread!? :p Nothing against CA really, I love the weather. I would just never live there....glad I have family so I can just visit when I want to.
 Asura.Shylaa
Server: Asura
user: Shylaa
By Asura.Shylaa 2011-06-15 12:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kalyna said:

Which is better D=

I guess you've never actually been to California? Or only the "tourist" spots?

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-06-15 12:13:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Catabolic said:

There was your problem. Complimenting Elana lol. Mostly talks just to hear himself speak.

Untrue. And you're a jackass.

Siren.Catabolic said:

Texas is expanding exponentially (economically) and it has little to do with oil tycoons.

Untrue. Texas' economy is receding. It's just receding less than many other parts of the USA. And yes, that stability DOES have (quite a bit) to do with Texas' oil industry.

Siren.Catabolic said:

The best part was saying Texas as a state was economically "un-sustainable long term"...sighs lulz for all
The main point of this article was to highlight Texas's quality as a state in terms of governing the free market. Texas excels at this and yea a lot of other states should take notes.

Texas' economy (by itself) would be unsustainable long-term. Oil is a finite natural resource and the Texas' land possesses little else for natural resources. The climate is not conducive to agriculture. The social and educational culture is not conducive to scientific advances.
Perhaps you missed the part where I also said California's economy (by itself) would be unsustainable.
Again, Texas is far too conservative, and California is far too liberal. Neither is the "way of the future".
Yes, Texas is the "champion" state for "free market" economics. But if we're going to "take notes" on Texas for other states to review, let's include these gems, too, shall we?:

Enron
Branch Davidians

Lastly, the unemployment rate comparison to California isn't the only measuring stick out there. Texas' unemployment rate is rather similar to the unemployment rate in New York, another state known for liberal and expanded government regulations:

[+]
 Ifrit.Daemun
By Ifrit.Daemun 2011-06-15 12:13:28
Link | Quote | Reply

zahrah said:
Cerberus.Kalyna said:

Which is better D=

*** off!
I defended your honor (not well but I tried) People that say things like this have never been to TX. I can find more beautiful women in my town of 150,000 (granted there are 5 colleges here), than I did any of the week long trips I've had to Cali or Florida
 Asura.Shylaa
By Asura.Shylaa 2011-06-15 12:15:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, most of the pretty girls in California aren't actually from here.
 Ifrit.Daemun
By Ifrit.Daemun 2011-06-15 12:16:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Texas' economy (by itself) would be unsustainable long-term. Oil is a finite natural resource and the Texas' land possesses little else for natural resources. The climate is not conducive to agriculture. The social and educational culture is not conducive to scientific advances.
Perhaps you missed the part where I also said California's economy (by itself) would be unsustainable.
Again, Texas is far too conservative, and California is far too liberal. Neither is the "way of the future".
Yes, Texas is the "champion" state for "free market" economics. But if we're going to "take notes" on Texas for other states to review, let's include these gems, too, shall we?:

Enron
Branch Davidians

Lastly, the unemployment rate comparison to California isn't the only measuring stick out there. Texas' unemployment rate is rather similar to the unemployment rate in New York, another state known for liberal and expanded government regulations:

I'll bite...

It is a finite resource, of which we have enough to fuel the world for a few hundred years. It is also the lifeblood of the world at this point, so yeah we're safe long term. 300years is about the life expectancy of a world power anyways. USA is overdue for an overturning. That scares me, and if Texas does ever get to a point of withdraw, I would be happy with 300 years of prosperity.

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2011-06-15 12:16:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Daemun said:
Siren.Inuyushi said:
I know what you're talking about. They are working on that, but yes they look promising.
Siren.Inuyushi said:

Also, iirc the highest efficiency that a Solar Panel could put out under the power of 100 suns was (overestimating) 5% no? I just don't have much faith in that.
It is of no matter, there are no moving parts and the initial cost of solar is actually considerably less than even small scale wind. With virtually no maintenance costs, efficiency means nothing. The objective of solar is to continue to push the initial costs down. That will continue to negate the efficiency rating.

Ah, glad you know what I'm talking about. True about no moving parts in Solar. I would love to see some good developments in Solar but I just dont see much hope in it right now. But I tend to see it from a buyers point of view. I took a class on Renewable Energy and the math has Solar as a break even for home buyers.

Personally I have plans to pursue a better wind generator model. I think the level of technology there can be purshed further also for better improvements.

Although in the Northeast they have alot of clouds and not alot of wind. What are we going to do for them!?
 Leviathan.Novax
Server: Leviathan
user: Novax
By Leviathan.Novax 2011-06-15 12:17:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Daemun said:
zahrah said:
Cerberus.Kalyna said:

Which is better D=

*** off!
I defended your honor (not well but I tried) People that say things like this have never been to TX. I can find more beautiful women in my town of 150,000 (granted there are 5 colleges here), than I did any of the week long trips I've had to Cali or Florida

Your idea of beauty may not be the same as others, I've lived in California and Texass, and Kansas has a larger pretty girl to ugly girl ratio than both!
 Asura.Shylaa
By Asura.Shylaa 2011-06-15 12:18:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Asura.Shylaa said:
Or have the "Becky" mentality...

Whats the "Becky" mentality? Mostly want to know cause that's my gf's sisters name lol.
 Ifrit.Daemun
By Ifrit.Daemun 2011-06-15 12:19:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Inuyushi said:
Ifrit.Daemun said:
Siren.Inuyushi said:
Siren.Inuyushi said:

Ah, glad you know what I'm talking about. True about no moving parts in Solar. I would love to see some good developments in Solar but I just dont see much hope in it right now. But I tend to see it from a buyers point of view. I took a class on Renewable Energy and the math has Solar as a break even for home buyers.

Personally I have plans to pursue a better wind generator model. I think the level of technology there can be purshed further also for better improvements.

Although in the Northeast they have alot of clouds and not alot of wind. What are we going to do for them!?
I work in the utility business and it makes no sense for me to purchase any renewable at this point. If you have money to spare and you want to 'help' the world; by all means jump on some renewable energy. For the majority of consumers, it is not a smart financial decision as a 20yr roi is terrible compared to the stock market.
 Siren.Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2011-06-15 12:19:31
Link | Quote | Reply

lol @ the huge jump in 2008.
 Siren.Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2011-06-15 12:20:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Daemun said:
I work in the utility business and it makes no sense for me to purchase any renewable at this point. If you have money to spare and you want to 'help' the world; by all means jump on some renewable energy. For the majority of consumers, it is not a smart financial decision as a 20yr roi is terrible compared to the stock market.

Ah cool, yea I know what you mean. And not so much into helping the world as my own pocketbook ya know?
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2011-06-15 12:21:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Asura.Shylaa said:
Or have the "Becky" mentality...

If it's anything like the song Plies made, then that mentality is *** fantastic.
 Ifrit.Daemun
By Ifrit.Daemun 2011-06-15 12:24:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Novax said:
Ifrit.Daemun said:
zahrah said:
Cerberus.Kalyna said:

Which is better D=

*** off!

Your idea of beauty may not be the same as others, I've lived in California and Texass, and Kansas has a larger pretty girl to ugly girl ratio than both!
I didn't say anything about ratios. I just know that I can't make it to any part of town and not see at least one person that I would classify as pretty. I do have decent standards as well, (unlike the stereotypical [read: most] male). In Texas, I usually can't go a week without finding someone I'd classify as downright beautiful. Are there 25 dog ugly people (both male and female) for every one, sure. Is that shallow of me? Of course. Do I care? Eh not really, I don't judge by beauty, but I do enjoy admiring it. You could very well be true that as a percentage, Kansas does better than Texas. By sheer numbers alone, I'd say Texas is the best source of beauty. It's all these horses and home cooked meals ; )

Siren.Inuyushi said:

Ah cool, yea I know what you mean. And not so much into helping the world as my own pocketbook ya know?
Exactly
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8