Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2011-06-15 10:59:08
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL good ole NY dead freaking last.

*facedesk*
By zahrah 2011-06-15 11:04:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Inuyushi said:
I take insult to the 'Ummm, field part' of that picture! Tons of good wind farms up there supplying tons of energy now. And Texas Tech Univserity is in Lubbock Texas ;-;

I mean, we did stop UT from going to the #1 vs #2 game that year when a defense player from UT let a ball fall right through his arms =D

Oops! Forgot about that.

/gasp

Are you a Red Raider?!?

/throws horns

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ifrit.Daemun
Server: Ifrit
user: daemun
By Ifrit.Daemun 2011-06-15 11:05:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
Siren.Inuyushi said:
Haters keep on hating.... but this report begs to differ. Enjoy

Horribly biased article. Even the zaniest of conservative pundits would (maybe) be able to gather that.

Yes, Texas offers significant incentives for businesses to "set up shop" on its soil. Your state would too if 50% of said soil (and Texas is a BIG place) was classified as arid (desert) or semiarid (desert-like).

A lot of the statistics cited in the OP article are heavily-weighted by the petroleum industry in Texas. When an economy falters, it's always raw materials and commodities that tend to suffer the least. Petroleum is the life-blood of the modern industrialized economy, so it's really not shocking that Texas has endured the depression fairly well when compared to California, where the real estate and construction industries (which were extremely profitable in California pre-recession) were totally flattened by the "housing bubble burst". The oil industry has been in a boom-bust-boom cycle for decades in Texas. Just because it's in a "boom" phase coincidental with the nationwide depression does NOT mean Texas is "superior" to other parts of the country.

Lastly, it needs to be said that while Texas offers the transparent luxury of zero income taxes, please remember that Texas has a very high property tax rate. A Texan pays 4.5 times as much in annual property taxes (per $100k of property value) when compared to a Californian.

I don't (personally) care for Texas or California. Neither is "the way of the future". Both state cultures and economies are unsustainable long-term. California needs to be more conservative, and Texas needs to be more liberal.

Here's a (far) more balanced "snapshot" of the two State economies than the rubbish offered by the OP's quote:

Quote:
California v. Texas: The economy

Where Texas beats California

• Lower median home: $148,000 vs. $297,000

• Lower income tax rate: 0% vs. 9.3% avg.

• Lower jobless rate: 8% vs. 12.4%

Where California beats Texas

• Bigger paychecks: $51,566 vs. $45,692

• Lower real estate taxes: $477 vs. $1,817 per $100,000 (2005)

• Stronger per capita GDP growth: 3.0% vs. 1.6% before recession, 1997-2007; tied at -4.1% during recession

• Lower average tax burden for businesses: 4.7% vs. 4.9%. (The lower average tax rate is partly because California's "effective" tax rate - the percentage of tax that actually gets paid - is much lower than its "marginal" or official tax rate, especially for large businesses within the state.)

• More college graduates: 29.6% vs. 22.9%

Sources: UCLA Anderson Forecast, U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis, U.S. Census Bureau, California Association of Realtors, Texas Association of Realtors, Council on State Taxation.
Taking the average incomes, 1500 in property taxes is paltry compared to 4500 in income taxes (this is the differences mind you). Also, taking mean incomes, 6000 less in income is insanely better than 150,000 more for a home
 Bismarck.Recaldy
Server: Bismarck
user: Recaldy
By Bismarck.Recaldy 2011-06-15 11:06:10
Link | Quote | Reply

(]That's interesting.[)

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2011-06-15 11:13:46
Link | Quote | Reply

In all honesty, there are definitely some financial troubles that are extremely avoidable here. I'm not sure about my whole state, but at least at my University. Texas should come fix it for us! There's been a lot of panic over our budget in the last few years.

Come fix it, Texas!
 Siren.Inuyushi
Server: Siren
user: Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2011-06-15 11:16:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Yes, Texas offers significant incentives for businesses to "set up shop" on its soil. Your state would too if 50% of said soil (and Texas is a BIG place) was classified as arid (desert) or semiarid (desert-like).

Have you been to Texas? No one really sets up shop in a Desert place unless it's El Paso, Midland or Odessa. The only thing going in the desert areas is oil property or old ranches. The booming parts of Texas are in the big cities which have room to actually expand and build an infrastructure (sp) worth a damn. I don't think Baltimore can vouge for anything like that. It's only known for the slowest stretch of Interstate in the Nation.

But yea, there's alot of room to grow. I would have to stay that good road construction is helping it grow. Everytime I drive in MD all I see is road construction equipment sitting around gathering dust.
By zahrah 2011-06-15 11:17:04
Link | Quote | Reply

The oil industry has been in a boom-bust-boom cycle for decades in Texas. Just because it's in a "boom" phase coincidental with the nationwide depression does NOT mean Texas is "superior" to other parts of the country.

We're also opening up one of the nation's largest natural gas pipelines in East Texas.

I beg to differ as far as your assumptions about our economy being carried on the backs of oil tycoons. This isn't 1910 anymore.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Siren.Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2011-06-15 11:19:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Texas is another country.

This. We're the only (or one of the) State that can fly our flag equal height with the US Flag. Texas could break off from the US and be fine (not that they should/would)

Edit: Texas is also helping lead the way in Wind Energy! Sucky story about the Cheerleading and Engineering thing. Ive heard that sports get so much $$$ cause it bring the most in (or whatever...)
By zahrah 2011-06-15 11:21:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Inuyushi said:
Quote:

Have you been to Texas? No one really sets up shop in a Desert place unless it's El Paso, Midland or Odessa. The only thing going in the desert areas is oil property or old ranches. The booming parts of Texas are in the big cities which have room to actually expand and build an infrastructure (sp) worth a damn. I don't think Baltimore can vouge for anything like that. It's only known for the slowest stretch of Interstate in the Nation.

But yea, there's alot of room to grow. I would have to stay that good road construction is helping it grow. Everytime I drive in MD all I see is road construction equipment sitting around gathering dust.

Who the hell said this? I have to agree with Inuyushi! You probably have never been here! Only about an 1/5 of this state could be considered arid. You watch too many westerns.

EDIT: Elanabelle, after I compliment you and what not, you go about saying something like what Inuyushi quoted.

/facepalm
 Shiva.Durtiesweat
Server: Shiva
user: Durtie
By Shiva.Durtiesweat 2011-06-15 11:25:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Inuyushi said:
Quote:

Dont forget military training/bases... Im from the midwest states so when I did my tour in El Paso (Ft Bliss), I was disturbed by how all the houses looked the same and had the same sand color made out of the same stone material. But what really cracked me up is how 90% of theses houses and apt complexes had stone/pebble lawns. Dreadful.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Shylaa
Server: Asura
user: Shylaa
By Asura.Shylaa 2011-06-15 11:31:48
Link | Quote | Reply

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enron_scandal

This could possibly be why all the California jobs are gone and there are more in Texas within that same time line.
By zahrah 2011-06-15 11:40:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Daemun said:
I didn't even hear about it...five hours away.

Really? It happened a mile and a half away from my office.

Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-06-15 11:42:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Just to answer a previous post, this is how the USA are seen from the outside(just for fun and no offense intended)

Some calls them the United States of Hollywood.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-06-15 11:43:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Inuyushi said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
This. We're the only (or one of the) State that can fly our flag equal height with the US Flag. Texas could break off from the US and be fine (not that they should/would) Edit: Texas is also helping lead the way in Wind Energy! Sucky story about the Cheerleading and Engineering thing. Ive heard that sports get so much $$$ cause it bring the most in (or whatever...)
So wrong...
[+]
 Siren.Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2011-06-15 11:43:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Durtiesweat said:
Dont forget military training/bases... Im from the midwest states so when I did my tour in El Paso (Ft Bliss), I was disturbed by how all the houses looked the same and had the same sand color made out of the same stone material. But what really cracked me up is how 90% of theses houses and apt complexes had stone/pebble lawns. Dreadful.

Yea, this is true but Fort Bliss/El Paso/Midland/Odessa only makes up one of the seven region in Texas. That's the Big Bend Region. That house layout/style is of Spanish Origin. Basically alot of Texas closest to the border has Spanish Origins due to the history. Really the amount of Military land around there is small in comparison to the size of the state in all. Fort Hood is one of the two I can name in Military bases.

And I do agree, that part of Texas is not my favorite. I prefer the plains/hill country region.
 Siren.Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2011-06-15 11:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said:
Siren.Inuyushi said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
This. We're the only (or one of the) State that can fly our flag equal height with the US Flag. Texas could break off from the US and be fine (not that they should/would) Edit: Texas is also helping lead the way in Wind Energy! Sucky story about the Cheerleading and Engineering thing. Ive heard that sports get so much $$$ cause it bring the most in (or whatever...)
So wrong...

How so sir? u jelly?
 Siren.Catabolic
user: Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2011-06-15 11:45:57
Link | Quote | Reply

zahrah said:
Siren.Inuyushi said:
Quote:

Who the hell said this? I have to agree with Inuyushi! You probably have never been here! Only about an 1/5 of this state could be considered arid. You watch too many westerns.

EDIT: Elanabelle, after I compliment you and what not, you go about saying something like what Inuyushi quoted.

/facepalm

There was your problem. Complimenting Elana lol. Mostly talks just to hear himself speak. Texas is expanding exponentially (economically) and it has little to do with oil tycoons. The best part was saying Texas as a state was economically "un-sustainable long term"...sighs lulz for all

The main point of this article was to highlight Texas's quality as a state in terms of governing the free market. Texas excels at this and yea a lot of other states should take notes.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-06-15 11:49:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Daemun said:

Taking the average incomes, 1500 in property taxes is paltry compared to 4500 in income taxes (this is the differences mind you).

You've assumed that all properties are valued @ $100k in Texas. If that were the case, then yes, $1500 more in property taxes in Texas outweighs the cost of $4500 more in income taxes in California.
However, if your Texas property value totals $300k, then you're paying $4500 more in property taxes than you would in California, which is equivalent to the $4500 income tax difference we've previously cited.
If your property value exceeds $300k, then you are now paying more in Texas property taxes than you would in California income taxes.
"Mind you".

zahrah said:
The oil industry has been in a boom-bust-boom cycle for decades in Texas. Just because it's in a "boom" phase coincidental with the nationwide depression does NOT mean Texas is "superior" to other parts of the country.

I beg to differ as far as your assumptions about our economy being carried on the backs of oil tycoons. This isn't 1910 anymore.

Beg all you wish. I did not say the Texas economy is being "carried on the backs of oil tycoons". I stated that the oil industry is more impervious to economic recession than most industries. And since Texas has a large oil industry, and California does not, it's unsurprising that the Texas economy has suffered less. You're right about one thing though: it isn't 1910 anymore. Thanks for clarifying that.

zahrah said:
Siren.Inuyushi said:
Quote:

/facepalm

I watch no westerns.
I have been to Texas.

I stated that 50% of Texas is classified as arid OR semiarid. You said about 20% of Texas could be considered arid.

Those two statements are not contradictory. We are both correct.
[+]
 Ifrit.Daemun
By Ifrit.Daemun 2011-06-15 11:49:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Inuyushi said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:

This. We're the only (or one of the) State that can fly our flag equal height with the US Flag. Texas could break off from the US and be fine (not that they should/would)

Edit: Texas is also helping lead the way in Wind Energy! Sucky story about the Cheerleading and Engineering thing. Ive heard that sports get so much $$$ cause it bring the most in (or whatever...)
I let the first time slide, but I won't a second. I agree with most you have said, but: Wind Energy is NOT the future. If we are to alleviate our dependence on fossil fuels, the first step is solar energy.

Wind energy is created on a base 'break even' of thirty years. This calculation is done assuming 100% run efficiency and 5% of initial investment maintenance costs. Wind actually runs at roughly 30% efficiency with a maintenance cost of 20% of initial investment. All that jargon essentially means a wind turbine would pay itself off in 360 years assuming today's energy costs. That is including the current tax breaks on renewable energy sources (which account for more than 50% of wind energy's profits). If tax breaks were to stop (which is under fire every year), the wind push would leave altogether, but even if it didn't you could safely assume that wind would pay itself off in 500 years.

Now, back to solar. Solar systems have an actual payoff of roughly 18-22 years. The calculations were done properly on them, using real world variables. They look to be a viable way to hedge some of our fossil fuel dependencies. They alone cannot replace our thirst for crude and natural gas, but they will help. We are probably still 50 years away from any sort of technology that can compete with fossil fuels and a decent century away from said technology being able to compete in a price point.

I'm all for conservation, and I'm not trying to pick at you Inuyushi, just stating some facts so you can spread the truth. To validate my responses, I work at an electric cooperative, my father is a manager and has been in the business for over 30 years, and I am a personal friend of a generation and transmission cooperative. These facts have come from national meetings where the biggest of the big in respective industries, research groups, and government agencies have all spoke.
 Ifrit.Daemun
By Ifrit.Daemun 2011-06-15 11:51:05
Link | Quote | Reply

zahrah said:
Ifrit.Daemun said:
I didn't even hear about it...five hours away.

Really? It happened a mile and a half away from my office.

Never mind, I did hear about it. Selective memory obviously. Wonderful male trait.
 Ifrit.Daemun
By Ifrit.Daemun 2011-06-15 11:51:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said:
Siren.Inuyushi said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
So wrong...
We account for 70% of the national GDP...I think we'll be fine
 Sylph.Spency
Server: Sylph
user: Spencyono
By Sylph.Spency 2011-06-15 11:52:47
Link | Quote | Reply

70% ?

National?

Where'd you get that number from?
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2011-06-15 11:55:10
Link | Quote | Reply

70% is definitely not right
http://www.bea.gov/regional/gdpmap/GDPMap.aspx
they're like 10%

TX 8.3% according to the BEA

OH HEY LOOK
CA 13.1%

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2011-06-15 11:58:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Spency said:
70% ?

National?

Where'd you get that number from?

[+]
 Siren.Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2011-06-15 11:59:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I have little faith in Solar Energy really. Although there was one invention that had me going that was both Solar and Wind (hear me out). A picture would make a world of difference, but no luck finding one. The idea was to put a fan at the top of a stack to rotate as wind escape due to the heat from the sun. The base was rather large and got smaller rather quickly about 15' from the ground (or higher) and the rest looked like a normal smoke stack. Just a different concept that wouldn't require alot of expensive materials for solar panels. Althought Wind Generators are having trouble cause the Engineers didn't calculate in alot of stuff that they're having to go back and fix (broken gears due to fluctuating wind speeds). I wish I could find a picture of what I'm talking about with the Power Stacks.

Also, iirc the highest efficiency that a Solar Panel could put out under the power of 100 suns was (overestimating) 5% no? I just don't have much faith in that.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8