Possible Thief Set
First Page 2
 Bahamut.Etrayis
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-03-18 03:03:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Thief Set <> This is my dream atm. I think that everything here is attainable within a year for someone at my pace and skill, and while it is obviously not the BEST, it's gear that I see I could possibly get. I would like any feedback you have on the set for both better and/or easier to get pieces.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-03-18 03:07:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Blau/Hornetneedle? That's...Unique. Get Sirocco Kukri. NIN can solo the NM, and it's not very hard with 3 people or more. Other than that, it looks okay. I'd go for Homam seeing as you have Rajas on there which means you'll have Limbus access.

Edit: And another thing. If that's TPing gear, why Warwolf?
 Bahamut.Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-03-18 03:11:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Hehehe I'm obviously not very experienced. The Sirocco is nice but I've always liked the stats on Hornetneedle for WS modifiers. I'll take a shot at Sirocco though. Thank you.
 Hades.Kvazz
Server: Hades
user: kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2009-03-18 03:16:08
Link | Quote | Reply

SK -> hornetneedle anyday.
But yeah, why the warwolf belt? O.o get a swift belt, pretty easy to obtain, and a way better tp-piece.
 Bahamut.Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-03-18 03:17:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Swift belt totally slipped my mind. I changed it out, thanks.
 Bahamut.Kelia
user: Kelia
By Bahamut.Kelia 2009-03-18 08:16:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Mandau/X's or gtfo

who TPs in rapparee?, don't tp in rajas, homam. i'm pretty sure with that set you would have the acc of a meat eater while eating sushi.
 Bahamut.Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-03-18 08:20:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't tell if that was a joke or not. Please be more clear if you have suggestions.
 Gilgamesh.Apyrrhicvictory
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Apyrrhicvictory 2009-03-18 08:21:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I TP in Rapparee Harness for merits/haste build. It is a great piece.

I would personallly if I was in your position go with Blau Dolch/Sirroco Kukri setup. The kukri has very low delay and is probably the best off hand dagger other than the blau itself.

If I were you I'd also look into the Enkidu gear from ZNMs, alot of it has very good stats, and the best thing about it, They are free.
 Bahamut.Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-03-18 08:28:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Man I love the stats on Enkidu's, but it has got to be one of the ugliest sets in the game. The Store TP on the legs does look very helpful though as a Blau/Sirocco combo would have insanely low delay and probably only net 4% TP from each dagger without any bonuses. I prefer a solid 20 hit build with daggers and less would be even better.
 Shiva.Farseer
Server: Shiva
user: Farseer
By Shiva.Farseer 2009-03-18 09:17:13
Link | Quote | Reply

You will need more accuracy ; ; i say snipers+1, love torque/pcc or even spectacles
 Bahamut.Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-03-18 09:22:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Love Torque is my dream, but to actually fight AV? I said a set that's attainable at my skill. XD
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-03-18 09:30:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Etrayis said:
Love Torque is my dream, but to actually fight AV? I said a set that's attainable at my skill. XD

Inigo Montoya said:
I do not think that means what you think it means.
 Garuda.Crayne
Server: Garuda
user: Crayne
By Garuda.Crayne 2009-03-18 09:32:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Etrayis said:
Love Torque is my dream, but to actually fight Jailer of Love? I said a set that's attainable at my skill. XD

Fixed.

And he's not that hard.
 Bahamut.Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-03-18 09:37:41
Link | Quote | Reply

My bad. Yea Jailer of Love who spawns AV. Still scary to me.
 Asura.Eeek
Server: Asura
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-03-18 10:14:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Farseer said:
You will need more accuracy ; ; i say snipers+1, love torque/pcc or even spectacles

I'd agree with this.

If you click on my profile, my TPing setup is similar to the dream setup in the OP (I TP in dusk hands, dusk feet, and bravo's subligar). I also have full dagger merits. I eat meat whenever possible, and my accuracy starts suffering when mobs start checking high T to low VT and above. This works me though since I only do Limbus and Nyzul (I'm on BRD for Proto-Bosses), and if I run into highly evasive mobs, I can fall back on accuracy gear and 5/5 Feint.

Here's a few suggestions based off the OP:

1) Ditch the Cuch. Mantle (for now). Instead, use that gil to buy a PCC, a Fire Bomblet, and an Amemet Mantle +1.

2) While you're saving for a Fire Bomblet, buy a Bomb Core (I didn't see one in your equip history). THF suffers from low attack, so the Bomb Core is a very nice boost until you can afford a Fire Bomblet. Buy darts so that you can still pull as you do not lose TP when switching ammo.

3) Never, never, never, never, never, never, never use a dagger lower than level 68 once you're past that point. SE boosted the base damage of level 68+ daggers. Using a hornetneedle would significantly decrease your DoT. If you don't have a Sirroco Kukri and are still craving that DEX for your offhand, pick up a Misericorde (+1 if you can).

4) There is no single dream setup for a THF. If a THF isn't blinking like a christmas tree, they're doing it wrong. You'll need a multiple TP setups (for example, sushi+haste or meat+accuracy), multiple WS setups, a DEX set, and an AGI set at minimum. It's nice to also carry evasion and ranged accuracy sets as well (if you're doing something where you can land bolts).

5) I know I neglected to mention some things, so do some research! THF is a complicated job to play, and doing some research on how to gear yourself for lots of situations will improve your play greatly.
 Bahamut.Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-03-18 10:26:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Great post. That guy wins the thread. A lot of what you said has to do with me having gil, and nine months into this game still hasn't given me a clue where to find any. This set is my plan to acquire within the next year, if even. On the note of the bomb core, I was actually talking with a friend about that earlier and will look into purchasing it shortly.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-03-18 10:36:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Posting common knowledge (it is correct) doesn't win threads, it only keeps you from getting flamed.
 Bahamut.Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-03-18 10:40:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, my thread, I choose winner. When you make a thread you can pick a winner, fair? I made this one so I could get suggestions exactly like that one on how to better my build and/or make it easier to acquire. He explained just about that.
 Fairy.Aiburn
Server: Fairy
user: Aiburn
By Fairy.Aiburn 2009-03-18 11:33:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Until Sirroco, I personally suggest a Stylet over the Misericorde +1. DPS and DEX are both slightly higher. Delay is still fairly low. I do agree with Rapparee, PCC and Amemet, and I'd also suggest TPing strictly in ACC rings. Your daggers mean nothing if you dont hit. Great start though. You have the idea down. A few minor tweaks and you are set. ^^
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-03-18 12:03:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing wrong with TPing in Rajas. If your DEX adds up to an even number because of it, you get 3acc out of it (effectively), and daggers are low D so the STR from the Rajas amplifies their individual damages greatly (~3% on a Blau, ~4-5% on a Sirocco Kukri typically).

I would say Rajas is definitely better than a 4/5acc ring, 7acc ring... a lot closer. I'd probably use dual Toreador's over Toreador's/Rajas in a meat setup, but I wouldn't use Woodsman x2 over Woodsman/Rajas for instance.

TP:
Blau Dolch/Sirocco Kukri/---/Fire Bomblet
Walahra Turban/Love Torque/Suppanomimi/Brutal Earring
Homam Corazza/Homam Manopolas/Toreador's Ring/Toreador's Ring
Forager's Mantle/Speed Belt/Skadi's Chausses/Homam Gambieras

is essentially as good as a meat setup gets (daggers situational, X/Blau in endgame fights), substitute on Dusk Gloves +1 and Rapparee Harness when Feint is up or accuracy is otherwise very high or haste values are VERY high.

Realistically, aim for PCC over Love Torque in the meantime, 5acc/Rajas, Swift Belt, Scorpion Harness+1 or Enkidu Harness (which can outperform Homam Corazza depending on the value of the triple attack on the Corazza which is not determined as of yet). Homam Cosciales are close enough to Skadi's Chausses and easier to get for most people.

Dusk Hands/Feet are very good, Bravo's Subligar as you say is good too, as are Dusk Trousers.

That's just discussing the TP set too :p there's a lot more to THF than that...
 Bahamut.Kelia
By Bahamut.Kelia 2009-03-18 12:22:34
Link | Quote | Reply

i would not tp in rajas in that set lol there is almost no acc
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-03-18 12:28:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, I agree in his set <_< just saying there's nothing wrong with TPing in Rajas as a whole if you don't have dual 7acc rings.
 Shiva.Ethereal
user:
By Shiva.Ethereal 2009-03-18 12:32:50
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Here's my dream thief set.

Feel free to comment and elaborate on it.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-03-18 12:59:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Best TP setup for THF I could come up with.

Mandau / X's / ____ / Bomblet
Walmart / Ancient Torq / Suppa / Brutal
Skadi Cuirie / Dusk Gloves+1 / Torader's / Torader's
Cerb Mant+1 / Speed Belt / Skadi's Chausses / Homam

Excluded Mars's and Ninurta's just because.

Also, idk how top notch thf's feel about divisor ring. 3 att vs 1 acc
 Shiva.Ethereal
user:
By Shiva.Ethereal 2009-03-18 13:06:58
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Divisor Ring is great, but it's rate of obtaining via Assault is pretty slim, so I excluded it for similar reasons you excluded Mars' Ring and Ninurta's Sash. But it seems we're on the same page of having a blended balance of acc, atk, haste, etc.

Although the only thing I really disagree on your list Fro is imo Love Torque > Ancient Torque. But that's just me.
 Gilgamesh.Apyrrhicvictory
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Apyrrhicvictory 2009-03-18 13:24:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
Posting common knowledge (it is correct) doesn't win threads, it only keeps you from getting flamed.

The guy is 9 months into the game. he has alot to learn, and at least he is asking for suggestions on a job he enjoys playing.

Meaningless post, stop being a douche. :/
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-03-18 13:34:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Apyrrhicvictory said:
Frobeus said:

The guy is 9 months into the game. he has alot to learn, and at least he is asking for suggestions on a job he enjoys playing.

Meaningless post, stop being a douche. :/

not being a douche! didn't say anything negative about coming here looking for advice, only correcting on forum savy.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-03-18 13:45:43
Link | Quote | Reply

To the OP, tweaking on what you are looking to obtain.

Weapon: Blau / sicc is the way to go, but Azoth / blau is okish too for some xtra acc and both are AH Carry a Thf's knife with you always too
Range/Ammo: Need both here. Bomblet is great for when ur DD only, but carry a xbow and some ammo for when your needed as puller.
Head: Walmart / Denali Den isn't really an upgrade except in the looks department
Neck: PCA Yeah camping it is hell but its an easy mob to kill and at least you have TH3.
Ear: Suppa / Brutal You listed these already
Body: SH / Rapa Situational depending on what your fighting. Would Suggest carrying both
Hands: Dusk Listed this already also
Rings: 5 acc ring x2 Since you have no homam and are in general need of more acc I would use these over the mission rings
Back: Amam +1 Great piece used on lots of jobs. Chuchu is underrated imo but is also very expensiv e. Would be great to use along with Rapa Harness
Belt: Swift Easy fight, get this
Legs: Bravo is a great tp choice before the more difficult to obtain haste legs
Feet: Dusk / Denali Full haste always when you can, but don't over look good acc pieces also.

There Apy, happy now! I can be constructive when I'm absolutly forced to be.

Edit: Forgot about Enki feet. Get them over dusk.
 Bahamut.Kelia
By Bahamut.Kelia 2009-03-18 13:52:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ethereal said:
Here's my dream thief set.

Feel free to comment and elaborate on it.

for tp, homam feet + turban > enkidu + bonnet
 Unicorn.Claquesous
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Claquesous 2009-03-18 13:59:52
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a lot of very good advice here, although much of it is ignoring the fact the poster is new. I've been playing for four years, and only have like half the optimal gear that some people are suggesting.

One thing I'd like to bring into the discussion that has only been loosely touched upon is that your gear is very situational. You'll want to use several different builds and you'll also need to make judgement calls on which slots you'll swap out with macros. If you're playing the game completely as SE intended you're limited to at most 6 gear swaps per macro and more realistically to 5.

For me this means I swap out Head, Body, Hands, Feet, Neck and Waist. I'd love to swap out Legs and Back too, but I just don't have enough macro lines. Making two gear swap sets per macro just isn't feasible because it adds a delay which increases your odds of screwing up or slows down your actions.

Because I swap out Feet, I've opted for Homam, Hecca, and Dance +1. If I chose a different slot to swap instead, I probably would've opted to leave Enkidu's on full time. Part of this decision is based on the options, and part of it is what types of end game are you interested in doing to get specific pieces of gear.
First Page 2