Will PLD Be Useful Again At Lvl 99?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Will PLD be useful again at lvl 99?
Will PLD be useful again at lvl 99?
First Page 2 3 ... 24 25 26
 Ragnarok.Zephyran
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Zephyran
By Ragnarok.Zephyran 2010-10-12 15:14:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a decent PLD, but I've noticed that in Abyssea, they made it harder to tank, as Atonement's damage is cut in half on the NM's for some mysterious reason (Yay for Sanguine Blade spam?!), as well as the majority of the good NM's have a/multiple hate resetting/decreasing move which makes tanking a pain in the arse, especially when they like to spam said move.

What I would like to see is a new Job Ability (or even a Trait) like Yonin + Innin, for PLD's. For example, the new ability/trait would give some +ACC, +Enmity, and -PDT% when facing the monster.

PLD's also should have gotten Fencer by default, without the need to use equipment for it.

And they really have to change the way that Enspell damage produces no hate (At least I think it produces no hate) so that Enlight's damage would help by tricking the monster into thinking the Player swung and hit it twice instead of once (I know, I know, sorry Holy/Darkling Bolt build RNG's! D:).

Wishful thinking q_q

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-10-12 15:17:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Yes sir, I sstand corrected bedlam is the gun. I don't have SS only ran with some JP's in WoE and saw a PLD smacking slimes for at least 1.1k easy time he used new ws. Don't believe thats fine, not going to ruin my day xD.

Well that's nice if it's accurate because they have 50% resist to slashing so it'd more around 2k~ dmg, probably can hit 3k+ in abyssea with proper atmas, but it's still too little to make pld an amazing tank =(

Amazing people make Amazing tanks, regardless of the job.

PLD's ability to spam Cure IV on itself is what makes it an amazing tank, unlimited hate w/o even drawing your weapon, and thus not subject to something like Monster-resists. How is that not amazing for tanking?
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Sylph.Kimble
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-10-12 15:22:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Yes sir, I sstand corrected bedlam is the gun. I don't have SS only ran with some JP's in WoE and saw a PLD smacking slimes for at least 1.1k easy time he used new ws. Don't believe thats fine, not going to ruin my day xD.

Well that's nice if it's accurate because they have 50% resist to slashing so it'd more around 2k~ dmg, probably can hit 3k+ in abyssea with proper atmas, but it's still too little to make pld an amazing tank =(

PLD's ability to spam Cure IV on itself is what makes it an amazing tank, unlimited hate w/o even drawing your weapon, and thus not subject to something like Monster-resists. How is that not amazing for tanking?

How many fights can you name were you need all that you listed though?
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Draginhikari
Server: Asura
By Asura.Draginhikari 2010-10-12 15:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply

My PLD still gets penetly of work in my LS alot of it due to the way we tend to do alot of things. We rarely do things in large numbers and the view of my LS leaders tend to be that PLD offers a bit of a safety net in certain fights when things don't always go our way. But at the same time, the increase damage and capabilities of the various DDers is causing those jobs to hit the Enmity cap far faster then they ever did before and with no change to this cap it makes it difficult but not impossible either.

It's not a wonderful situation, but it's also opened up others things by allowing my other jobs to work in a number of situations where I would have always been PLD otherwise. Mixed feelings on the issue to say the least.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-10-12 15:35:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kimble said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:

How many fights can you name were you need all that you listed though?

The only one that comes to mind is Braireus. I'm not sure if they changed the ST20-SuperCurse-Zombie (Whatever you call it) but we fought second week of Abyssea, and nothing removed it, so having PLD and Ranged Damage was almost a necessity. That was also before a few of the Merit Abyssites for more HP... All I can say, is the circumstances definitely existed at one point, if not anymore.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
Server: Ragnarok
user: Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2010-10-12 15:35:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Personally I think MNK is the best tank in the game, the job is just amazing.

Wasn't it just not long ago I heard all the MNK's QQ that they never get anything new and SE hates/forgot about them? Agreed its an awesome tank...but its 2nd to DNC in my book. We've had an impossible to gauge dnc in our ls pre-80-85 cap days. He thought outside the box on playing the job and amazed us all. At 85 he's redonkulous.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-12 15:36:54
Link | Quote | Reply

If a DNC is outtanking your MNKs, your MNKs suck.

EDIT: Sedna etc not withstanding
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Thedreamer
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Thedreamer 2010-10-12 15:52:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Someone show me the link sayin Se will put lvl cap at 99 !

cause so far i only saw Se sayin december will be third raise, and most LOGICAL would be 90...

SHOW ME WHY 99 !!!

p.s: stop your *** about pld, its like the XX thread sayin this job is dead...
Lets talk about how PUP is useless if you want...

WHO CARE SRLY ???
By Whizzkid90 2010-10-12 15:57:37
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/event/vanafes2010/index.html
 Gilgamesh.Thedreamer
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Thedreamer 2010-10-12 16:01:27
Link | Quote | Reply

hmm ok
damn took long to got it... ;x
 Bismarck.Rinako
Server: Bismarck
user: Rinako
By Bismarck.Rinako 2010-10-12 16:02:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Thedreamer said:
Someone show me the link sayin Se will put lvl cap at 99 !

cause so far i only saw Se sayin december will be third raise, and most LOGICAL would be 90...

SHOW ME WHY 99 !!!

p.s: stop your *** about pld, its like the XX thread sayin this job is dead...
Lets talk about how PUP is useless if you want...

WHO CARE SRLY ???

They did announce the cap will eventually be 99. They made it assumed that the cap will be 99 by the end of the year but, with how it's going it seems like there are going to be multiple cap increases and they just introduced "this years" updates previews and there may be more later on, but, once again it's SE. They could go as assumed and go directly to 99 OR they could just stay where they are and increase it to 90 and have future increases to 99 after DEC.
 Bahamut.Aeronis
Server: Bahamut
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2010-10-12 16:06:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
If a DNC is outtanking your MNKs, your MNKs suck. EDIT: Sedna etc not withstanding
Learn your tanking methods before you talk etc etc.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-12 16:14:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aeronis said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
If a DNC is outtanking your MNKs, your MNKs suck. EDIT: Sedna etc not withstanding
Learn your tanking methods before you talk etc etc.
No u.

While Abyssea increases Waltz numbers via Cruor buffs (and removes the need for an hp down set in your cheat~), your increased level reduces the enmity gained per point of HP cured. Further, those same buffs (especially Atma, which enhance a DD's enmity gain far more than a DNC's) benefit the MNK too. Given that MNK's ability to generate enmity has improved more than DNC's with the advent of Abyssea (both improved in DD capability, but Waltz potency didn't improve by the same margin)... this should really be a no-brainer.

EDIT: Before anybody points out flaws in that post relevant to current mechanics, look at the post date, then reread what I said in this post. I probably covered it. If I didn't, I'll be happy to address it.
[+]
 Phoenix.Artimus
Server: Phoenix
user: artimus
By Phoenix.Artimus 2010-10-12 16:32:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope so. I feel that PLD is still a great tanking job, but i do not feel it is actually used as it were originally intended (with regards to end-game, not EXP) as a "meat shield." Im not saying there is anything wrong with how ppl expect ppl to play pld, or how /nin doesnt work well, but i dont feel it was intended to be used in that way. I really hope PLD is able to keep hate @ 99 because I feel that all DD's and even healer classes, WHM in particular with higher tier cure spells, that generate more emnity than ever before. Personally, I think PLD should get provoke without the need of /war, or to a lesser degree /dnc. Im not saying keeping hate is a huge problem for DD's and PLDs who understand hate management, Im just saying it's becoming more difficult with as much as DD jobs are getting buffed to put out bigger ZOMGWSnumbers.

i hope that mindless ramble made some sense to someone -.-;
 Bahamut.Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2010-10-12 16:33:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
While Abyssea increases Waltz numbers via Cruor buffs (and removes the need for an hp down set in your cheat~), your increased level reduces the enmity gained per point of HP cured.
I don't see exactly how HP+ defeats the purpose of an HP down set, in the case where your HP is capped and shadows are up.

I can't give exact numbers from testing etc, but how would attacks from MNK at max haste, martial arts etc etc trump attacking with DWIV and 15% added Dual Wield plus Capped haste, plus cure cheats?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-12 16:38:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aeronis said:
I don't see exactly how HP+ defeats the purpose of an HP down set, in the case where your HP is capped and shadows are up.
You can "cancel" the buff as a free HP down method. It'll restore the buff immediately, but it lowers your HP.

Quote:
I can't give exact numbers from testing etc, but how would attacks from MNK at max haste, martial arts etc etc trump attacking with DWIV and 15% added Dual Wield plus Capped haste, plus cure cheats?
Higher base damage, higher attack, counters, Kick Attacks, better and more frequent WS, less time locked up in JA delay, etc.
[+]
 Phoenix.Fredjan
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-10-12 16:40:23
Link | Quote | Reply

edit: whoosh, didn't see DNC.
 Asura.Matzilla
Server: Asura
user: Caliber
By Asura.Matzilla 2010-10-12 16:42:22
Link | Quote | Reply

they just need to adjust the hate cap for certain jobs!
 Bahamut.Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2010-10-12 16:47:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Bahamut.Aeronis said:
You can "cancel" the buff as a free HP down method. It'll restore the buff immediately, but it lowers your HP.
Quote:
Higher base damage, higher attack, counters, Kick Attacks, better and more frequent WS, less time locked up in JA delay, etc.
Well that's interresting. Thanks for the insight
 Phoenix.Excelior
user: Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-12 17:51:56
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI ever needed a PLD tank to begin with?
[+]
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
Server: Carbuncle
user: Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2010-10-12 17:56:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Excelior said:
stfu loltarudrk
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-12 17:58:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Lynxblade said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
stfu loltarudrk

I think its cute you and your band of friends e-stalk me and post in response to everything I say. You want these nuts dont you? Your mouth is all over my ***. I can't tell if you're cryin now or my nuts are sweatin.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2010-10-12 18:01:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
stfu loltarudrk
I think its cute you and your band of friends e-stalk me and post in response to everything I say. You want these nuts dont you? Your mouth is all over my ***. I can't tell if you're cryin now or my nuts are sweatin.
You want my mouth in your ***? i knew you were *** gay, and your responding to me too dumbass. stupid assl loltrolls, just like talk ***, cause they know they safe at there computers, and know they can get away with w/e they want, go do us all a favor, and go *** kill yourself, NOONE on ffxiah.com would care, and we could make alol thread about you too.......
Code
[+]
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-12 18:03:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
stfu loltarudrk
You want my mouth in your ***? i knew you were *** gay, and your responding to me too dumbass. stupid assl loltrolls, just like talk ***, cause they know they safe at there computers, and know they can get away with w/e they want, go do us all a favor, and go *** kill yourself, NOONE on ffxiah.com would care, and we could make alol thread about you too.......
Code

Lolz you're the one trolling me. If you look at most of my posts on these forums they're in the DRK section and they're posting math or relative debate. I guess contributing knowledge is trolling. Its ok man your closet homosexuality doesn't bother me, I accept you for who you are. You don't need to jump off a bridge.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2010-10-12 18:06:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
stfu loltarudrk
Code
Lolz you're the one trolling me. If you look at most of my posts on these forums they're in the DRK section and they're posting math or relative debate. I guess contributing knowledge is trolling. Its ok man your closet homosexuality doesn't bother me, I accept you for who you are. You don't need to jump off a bridge.
Sorry im not gay, like your lildick *** ***, all you ever do on all your forums is talk ***about your stupid *** lolrelic, and i guess you havent realized this, cause of your stupid *** arrogance, but everyone on this site thinks your a *** dumb ***, stop posting ***on this site, you only do it cause your *** as craves the attention, even if its people bashing you
First Page 2 3 ... 24 25 26