Will PLD Be Useful Again At Lvl 99?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Will PLD be useful again at lvl 99?
Will PLD be useful again at lvl 99?
First Page 2 ... 24 25 26
 Asura.Aust
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Aust101
By Asura.Aust 2010-10-12 13:34:05
Link | Quote | Reply

It seems to me that PLD is not what it once was as a "tank". With the amount of HP, and buffs other jobs can now get, along side the DMG most DD's put out, make it almost useless to use PLD's like they once were.

I think at 99 there are some exciting possibilitys for the job including haste, and other abilitys.

Any ideas how the job may change?

In 2004 it was pretty popular to stack VIT and DEF, 2010, haste ad ACC, it looks like SE is pushing for more -PDT% but who knows. :D
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-10-12 13:35:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd think they will make them more of a magical DD! Holy II?
[+]
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
Server: Carbuncle
user: Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2010-10-12 13:36:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Pld still my fav job, Pld/Rdm ftmfw
[+]
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2010-10-12 13:39:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I think if they would make the cap for atonement higher, like 1000+ or something, pld can be alot more usefull endgame...... automatic 1000dmg ws no matterwhat be nice.
 Phoenix.Mogue
Server: Phoenix
user: Mogue
By Phoenix.Mogue 2010-10-12 13:39:50
Link | Quote | Reply

lets see if someone can come up with a more HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE thread topic.

i defy you, ffxiah.com!
[+]
 Fenrir.Yinsha
Server: Fenrir
user: Yinsha
By Fenrir.Yinsha 2010-10-12 13:43:52
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI job laws: If you want it to be useful it won't be. If it's useless it will become useful.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-10-12 13:44:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Yinsha said:
FFXI job laws: If you want it to be useful it won't be. If it's useless it will become useful.

hi2u BLU.

Seriously.
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-10-12 13:46:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Mogue said:
lets see if someone can come up with a more HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE thread topic.

Agreed.
Paladin is a useful job. Always has been. Always will be.
Players have slowly, over time, caught on to the idea that Paladin isn't the *only* job that can tank well. However, it's still the job that has the most innate combination of damage mitigation, survivability traits/tools, and enmity-producing abilities.
[+]
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
Server: Leviathan
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-10-12 13:48:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
Phoenix.Mogue said:

Agreed.
Paladin is a useful job. Always has been. Always will be.
Players have slowly, over time, caught on to the idea that Paladin isn't the *only* job that can tank well. However, it's still the job that has the most innate combination of damage mitigation, survivability traits/tools, and enmity-producing abilities.

People are stupid.

(deleted my last reply cause ... I kinda didn't read it right :x)
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2010-10-12 13:48:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I kinda hope SE woulda taken the cap off of atonement or made it higher, cause remember how people were like omg wtf when atonement first came out? >_<
[+]
 Bismarck.Tarutarulord
By Bismarck.Tarutarulord 2010-10-12 13:50:12
Link | Quote | Reply

If I see another "nin better than pld" or "pld falling behind" or even "pup, what pld was but isn't but maybe even could be if pld wasn't gimping it now" thread I may cry.

Then again, I'll take this over a "which server" or "kid kills himself" thread and definitely over a "whichmagianweaponcauseicantmathsformyself" thread. But not really.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-10-12 13:55:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Watch 99 PLD get a job trait.

"We Trollz You" with the effect of lulz, dmg+30% while using a shield.
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-10-12 14:10:32
Link | Quote | Reply

All jobs have uses..and they always will. Its up to the players/linkshells to use those jobs. If it's what you have available use it..if its not then don't.

And yes this is an awful thread.
[+]
 Bahamut.Satanas
Server: Bahamut
user: Satanas
By Bahamut.Satanas 2010-10-12 14:19:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
All jobs have uses..and they always will. Its up to the players/linkshells to use those jobs. If it's what you have available use it..if its not then don't.

And yes this is an awful thread.
Your face is awful!

PLD is a fun tank and DD job if properly geared for it.
[+]
 Asura.Aust
Server: Asura
user: Aust101
By Asura.Aust 2010-10-12 14:24:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Mogue said:

i defy you, ffxiah.com!

Have you ever lvl'd PLD?

I was looking for peoples ideas and discussion about different subjob combinations, and just see what ways the job could change. (for fun).

I agree with the atonement idea, the newest WS doesn't seem to have much use. PLD seems like it will be more of a better lowman job due to being able to support itself better as the level cap increases.

As for "other jobs can tank" and "use what you got", that is exactly my point. This is more since the most efficient form of a party/alli. It would be impressive to watch a lvl 75 SAM/NIN hold hate on Dark Ixion for example(I can't talk about new NM's because I haven't tried any yet). One other thing to consider is how SE has pushed for a while to keep PLD tank. Killing NIN/DRK and RDM/NIN with the enmity shifts.

[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-10-12 14:32:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe there is a punishing lack of decent PLD's to color people's perception of the job correctly, but I never understood all this "baawwww pld is useless" when it is clearly not the case.

While other jobs are capable of being as competent tanks, Paladin has what I like to say as the largest "Margin of error" meaning that the room for *** up and still doing your job is significantly more forgiving, than say on, DRK/NIN.

It could just be I've grown accustom to the luxury of Paladins whom I can rely on to hold the target's attention, regardless of other actions, and who've studied the mechanics behind FFXI's enmity, to know how to deal with a situation like Enmity capping. (For example, when multiple people are at the enmity cap, the next action from someone at cap will immediately draw attention)

There certainly are additions and tweaks that could make PLD better though, personally, I'd like to see PLD get a little bit of the THF love treatment, maybe adjusting cover so that it saps the cover-targets enmity and adds it to the PLD, or maybe a Flash-like Spell, that instead of Severely blinding the target for a short duration, briefly mutes the target instead, with the expected enmity spike.
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-10-12 14:38:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Maybe there is a punishing lack of decent PLD's to color people's perception of the job correctly, but I never understood all this "baawwww pld is useless" when it is clearly not the case.

While other jobs are capable of being as competent tanks, Paladin has what I like to say as the largest "Margin of error"

Exactly.
[+]
 Sylph.Kimble
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-10-12 14:41:21
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem now with PLD is, with all the HP boost and MP boost and MP refresh you have now in abyssea, you are much better off using DDs to tank mobs and take them down faster.

I cant exactly think of a fight in abyssea where you would need a PLD tank to win.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
Server: Titan
user: batboy267
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-10-12 14:49:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:

While other jobs are capable of being as competent tanks, Paladin has what I like to say as the largest "Margin of error" meaning that the room for *** up and still doing your job is significantly more forgiving, than say on, DRK/NIN.

It could just be I've grown accustom to the luxury of Paladins whom I can rely on to hold the target's attention, regardless of other actions, and who've studied the mechanics behind FFXI's enmity, to know how to deal with a situation like Enmity capping. (For example, when multiple people are at the enmity cap, the next action from someone at cap will immediately draw attention)

There certainly are additions and tweaks that could make PLD better though, personally, I'd like to see PLD get a little bit of the THF love treatment, maybe adjusting cover so that it saps the cover-targets enmity and adds it to the PLD, or maybe a Flash-like Spell, that instead of Severely blinding the target for a short duration, briefly mutes the target instead, with the expected enmity spike.

Sadly no matter what SE does... No matter what SE fixes... even if they made all the job 100% balanced.... there will still be people like Aust who will conplain about job balance. There will always be people who think some jobs are/have become udderly useless and that needs major fixes for it to be balanced.

Look at pup people are still dissing the job and saying lolpup all the time even though conpared to most of the jobs its one of the top 3~4 jobs that SE have given the most upgrades and adjustments to.

No one is perfect thus no one can make the perfect game. All SE can do is make the game balanced to the point where the game is fun to play for all jobs. In my opinion they have done this well (or at least average). There is still job prejudice where people will point blank not take a few jobs to any event but it's no where near as bad as how it used to be.
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
Server: Ragnarok
user: Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2010-10-12 14:57:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Atonement over 750? Anyone seen a PLD rocking Bedlam +1...its a thing of beauty. The new ws eats atonement alive. PLD useless...gtfo.
[+]
 Fenrir.Yinsha
user: Yinsha
By Fenrir.Yinsha 2010-10-12 14:59:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I will not be surprised when they attempt to fix paladin with Flash II.
[+]
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-10-12 15:01:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Atonement over 750? Anyone seen a PLD rocking Bedlam +1...its a thing of beauty. The new ws eats atonement alive. PLD useless...gtfo.

WTF are you talking about?

How does a PLD rock a Bedlam +1? lol

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-10-12 15:05:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I assume you meant Badelaire+1?
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
Server: Ragnarok
user: Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2010-10-12 15:08:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes sir, I sstand corrected bedlam is the gun. I don't have SS only ran with some JP's in WoE and saw a PLD smacking slimes for at least 1.1k easy time he used new ws. Don't believe thats fine, not going to ruin my day xD.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-10-12 15:12:20
Link | Quote | Reply

SE needs to remove the atonement gimp, that seriously hurt PLD pretty bad. 750 unresisted Damage on HNM level Mobs was a beautiful thing made Paladin a competent DD on things of that level.

You can still hold hate if you know what you are doing but for the most part yea a DD tank is the smarter choice.

Personally I think MNK is the best tank in the game, the job is just amazing.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-10-12 15:12:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Sylph.Kimble said:
I cant exactly think of a fight in abyssea where you would need a PLD tank to win.

None, you can also kill every NM's with /sam or sam/war tanks.

I'd love to meet a /SAM or SAM/WAR who could tank Kutharei. I'm not saying it's impossible, but that would be a man who's hand I'd like to shake. Interference and Banneret Charge suck ***, and there's no spot where you can terrain block it's abilities, like with Sippoy.
First Page 2 ... 24 25 26