PLD=No Thx?!?!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » PLD=No thx?!?!
PLD=No thx?!?!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Fenrir.Parak
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Parak 2008-12-21 00:58:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Today I was in WG and someone was shouting for the nyzul floor I needed to do. The only job I have @ level 75 is PLD, I have staff capped, GS capped and I have /SAM /WAR /NIN pretty much everything. I asked if I could go with him and he said "PLD=No thx" -.-... Hm...

I really don't understand why people don't like PLD for nyzul... PLD can heal (easily get 3MP per tick auto-refresh w/ Parade Gorget and Sanction refresh), tank when needed (NMs) and they can deal really very decent damage with staff or great sword (I prefer staff because of Spirit Taker which is freaking amazing for PLD, I can drain 150-250 MP with it. Retribution can deal some really good damage too if you have a good DD setup. I've gotten 500-800 Retributions before). Plus the advantage of having SAM as a possible support job really helps with having staff as weapon for Hasso, Seigan and Meditate for faster spirit takers.

I dunno, just trying to prove a point here that PLD are not worthless in nyzul. It really kinda ticks me off when people "lol" when I ask if I can go with them to nyzul with PLD.

Any thoughts?
[+]
 Bahamut.Rocha
Server: Bahamut
user: aaron3126
By Bahamut.Rocha 2008-12-21 01:03:33
Link | Quote | Reply

PLD can't do enough dmg lol and who needs a tank when you got Fanatics Drink
[+]
 Fenrir.Parak
By Fenrir.Parak 2008-12-21 01:17:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I know they don't exactly specialize in healing or DDing, but I do believe that they deal enough damage that they shouldn't be turned down to not go on a nyzul run.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Corwen
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Corwen
By Midgardsormr.Corwen 2008-12-21 01:19:00
Link | Quote | Reply

NIN, MNK, and several other DDs can do great damage and tank well there so it really doesn't make much sense to use 1 of 6 party slots on a tank who's damage potential is mediocre at best in Nyzul. This might not be what you want to hear but that's just the way it is unfortunately.
[+]
 Seraph.Goldey
Server: Seraph
user: Goldey
By Seraph.Goldey 2008-12-21 01:22:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking as a PLD myself, I know it's rough getting into Nyzul parties as PLD. I have a very decent TP and WS set, but when it comes to the bosses we just can't put up the big ws numbers that other DD jobs can, or at the speed they do either. Also, we can't tank them well since the other DDs pull so much hate. However, on the eliminate all enemies floors, Joyeuse/Justice Sword /nin can be a pretty effective way to deal damage if using meat. Btw every time I have come DD PLD we have cleared our 5 floors :P
 Fenrir.Parak
By Fenrir.Parak 2008-12-21 01:25:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Goldey said:
Btw every time I have come DD PLD we have cleared our 5 floors :P

That's really all that matters right? >_> You might not get the nyzul done 5 minutes faster with the PLD but you will still get it done. People are just impatient I guess?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2008-12-21 01:37:11
Link | Quote | Reply

/sigh... yeah... I really feel your pain Parak.... All PLD mains are pretty much at a loss when it comes to situations like that. We're all better off leveling some other "more useful" job.... People want things done the easiest and most efficient way possible, and apparently PLDs aren't included in that equation....

/Paladin salute ; ;
 Seraph.Goldey
Server: Seraph
user: Goldey
By Seraph.Goldey 2008-12-21 01:46:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Yup Yup, ever since I leveled RDM I haven't been asked to come to Nyzul Isle as any other job ;; Oh well there are other things PLD is needed for so don't despair! :P
[+]
 Ragnarok.Unworthycarnage
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Unworthycarnage 2008-12-21 02:17:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I play WoW and FFXI both PLD and to be honest PLD in wow puts PLD in ffxi to shame... PLDs in ffxi have nothing well unless u spend years on getting a shitty relic, SE needs to rework on PLD if they want to keep them as tanks cause DNC is gonna take its place in the tanking partys...

Heres a few things I would to see added..

a boost of mana, dont think 190-300 mana isnt gonna cut it...
a boost of def, we should be taking more hits, my galka hp is less then 2k... and mobs hit for a ***load....
I would like to see more shield moves other then shield bash which the cd for it sucks...
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Corwen
By Midgardsormr.Corwen 2008-12-21 03:01:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not saying PLD can't work in nyzul, but compared to having another DD job that knows what they are doing, it makes your group more prone to losing due to the luck factor involved with nyzul. When you're faced with huge "eliminate all enemies" floors, or "eliminate specified enemies" objectives with 5 soulflayers or something just as bad, then the lack of damage can easily cost you additional time on what is already a time sink floor.

Even the best of groups can get screwed out of a win in nyzul occasionally if luck is really against them, having a less than optimal setup increases this risk, hence there isn't really a good reason for people to invite a PLD to a nyzul run.
 Fairy.Blackmist
Server: Fairy
user: Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2008-12-21 04:17:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Dispite the fact that PLD isn't Exactly a DD, and isn't 100% in demand for nyzul, they can be helpfull. for that factor you might need a real tank job,

but even still ppl demand damage, if you can put out 800-1k Ws. an chop 80+% from a mobs Hp, then ppl are going to want that over a pld who hits 85-100 WS for 300-500.

so like stated above. ppl are lazy, an want it done as fast as possible, dont want to have to Redo the Floor over & over again, just to win
*about 30 trys for me to get past floor 5..*

Dont Feel left out thou! nin/war is allmost just as uesless.. on boss floors ^.-
 Quetzalcoatl.Zura
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Zura
By Quetzalcoatl.Zura 2008-12-21 06:39:36
Link | Quote | Reply

PLD has access to quite a bit of heavy DD gear, almost as much as WAR. Throw in homam and a joyeuse and you have a more than decent DD set up - I'm surprised you would bother with GS or staff tbh.

I think the problem mainly lies in most PLDs not having dedicated DD gear or simply not knowing how best to maximize their potential. All it takes is one PLD using a GS with their AF and calling it DD to make a lasting impression on others.

As far as clearing floors? It doesn't take an army of Ridill WARs to beat them in a timely fashion. People are over estimating what it takes, imo. PLD geared well for DD would do fine, that goes for merits as well.
[+]
 Fairy.Raikan
user: Squitt
By Fairy.Raikan 2008-12-21 07:31:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel your pain. :<

If you've got time you can set aside for Nyzul, you might just want to create your own static. It's not so bad after that.
 Midgardsormr.Corwen
By Midgardsormr.Corwen 2008-12-21 07:53:21
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have a good static that could sustain a DD PLD and still maintain a good success rate, then by all means do so.

As far as shout groups are concerned, keep in mind that you're not always going to receive a party with 5 other well skilled and reasonably geared players and inviting a PLD over a DD would most likely not be in the best interest of the group. The person shouting to make a party most likely doesn't know you very well if at all so the only thing they really have to go on for determining whether or not to accept you is the job you plan on going as.
[+]
 Shiva.Jimmyjazz
Server: Shiva
user: Jimmyjazz
By Shiva.Jimmyjazz 2008-12-21 08:31:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I've had a few decent runs with pld/nin for climbing. As stated above - Fanatics drink + war or mnk or sam or etc. makes for your tank on hnm floors.

Raikan said:
If you've got time you can set aside for Nyzul, you might just want to create your own static. It's not so bad after that.

Probably you're best bet if you're not planning on bringing another job to 75. Just make sure you can put out some dmg and use your temporary items wisely.
 Ramuh.Jackel
Server: Ramuh
user: Jackel
By Ramuh.Jackel 2008-12-21 09:10:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Unworthycarnage said:
I play WoW and FFXI both PLD and to be honest PLD in wow puts PLD in ffxi to shame... PLDs in ffxi have nothing well unless u spend years on getting a shitty relic, SE needs to rework on PLD if they want to keep them as tanks cause DNC is gonna take its place in the tanking partys...

Sorry, I had to LOL at this. When is any serious PT going to go out of there way and ask a DNC to tank? Sure you can hold your own for a few levels, but if a DNC is holding hate off a Rampage or a YGK then you need to rethink your DD's.
[+]
 Fenrir.Parak
By Fenrir.Parak 2008-12-21 10:28:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for all your feedback guys! It's really nice to know that some people still think PLD can nyzul!

Zura said:
I think the problem mainly lies in most PLDs not having dedicated DD gear or simply not knowing how best to maximize their potential. All it takes is one PLD using a GS with their AF and calling it DD to make a lasting impression on others. PLD geared well for DD would do fine, that goes for merits as well.

Thanks Zura, yeah I know... There are lots of PLDs with no DD setup at all and they call themselves DD. I have been working on it tho and I have a TP setup and WS setup that gives me I think it was... +51 STR? But anyways, I agree =)
 Asura.Shamaya
Server: Asura
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2008-12-21 10:31:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
and they can deal really very decent damage with staff or great sword
this

Is not the case. Given that PUGs are usually mediocre, its understandable that someone wouldn't want to bring a Pld. Almost no pickup pld's are going to have a DD setup, and even if they do it's still going to be very mediocre in comparison to most other DD's.
 Gilgamesh.Shadowchaser
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Shadowchaser 2008-12-21 10:39:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I know it really sux for PLD and Nyzul runs Parak, But remeber who they all come running to for every other event us PLD's!
 Remora.Devek
Server: Remora
user: devek
By Remora.Devek 2008-12-21 10:43:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Back in the day, when sky was the rage, monk was my main job.

We could chi blast and help farm pots, blah. I went out and leveled bard just so I could be more useful.

There is no rule saying you can only level one 75 job.
 Fenrir.Parak
By Fenrir.Parak 2008-12-21 10:46:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Devek said:

We could chi blast and help farm pots, blah. I went out and leveled bard just so I could be more useful.

Yupyup! Haha! Guess what I'm working on leveling right now? SAM66 and THF71 hahaha
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2008-12-21 10:49:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't really understand why you're complaining. If you can't set up a static then you should just lvl another job for it. Almost every job can't do something event wise, and you don't see them complaining in forums. You see them level another job and do it on that job. Having diverse jobs serves a much better help to others than trying to fill a role your job is not meant for.

Edit: Well now that I see the OP is already doing this it applies to the other plds that complained too lol.
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2008-12-21 10:52:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Devek said:

lol sadly I did the same thing -.-;
 Diabolos.Yugl
Server: Diabolos
user: Yugl
By Diabolos.Yugl 2008-12-21 11:30:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think PLD needs an overhaul just because it's not suited for Nyzul Isle. There comes a time when you just have to realize that certain classes aren't suited for certain events. That's why people lvl multiple classes. PLD has received a great deal of buffs within recent years: Reprisal, Shield Mastery, Sentinel effect change, Rampart effect change, and a vast selection of gear. Remember, PLD serves as a tank, not as a DD. DDs shouldn't whine about not being able to tank a HNM and PLDs shouldn't whine about not putting out superb damage.
[+]
 Asura.Cordann
Server: Asura
user:
By Asura.Cordann 2008-12-21 11:58:58
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Yugl said:
I don't think PLD needs an overhaul just because it's not suited for Nyzul Isle. There comes a time when you just have to realize that certain classes aren't suited for certain events. That's why people lvl multiple classes. PLD has received a great deal of buffs within recent years: Reprisal, Shield Mastery, Sentinel effect change, Rampart effect change, and a vast selection of gear. Remember, PLD serves as a tank, not as a DD. DDs shouldn't whine about not being able to tank a HNM and PLDs shouldn't whine about not putting out superb damage.

I second that emotion.
 Gilgamesh.Kynadre
Server: Gilgamesh
user: kynadre
By Gilgamesh.Kynadre 2008-12-21 12:01:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I've got a buddy in my linkshell who's a paladin, everyone got on his case when he made a DD and WS set along with his tanking set and is constantly out of room from the enormous amount of pieces he hauls with him everywhere... but whenever we can we do assaults with a DD-PLD setup.

You'd be amazed at how well he does. No, it's not like having a bunch of samurais, but you don't have to curebomb him like crazy either, which means virtually no downtime. It's just like any other job; you gotta know what you're doing and have the right gear.

Aihin, you make me proud :)
[+]
 Valefor.Judda
Server: Valefor
user: Judda
By Valefor.Judda 2008-12-21 13:34:11
Link | Quote | Reply

maybe u havent think about it... but maybe tha pt got a PLD already? :D
[+]
 Fenrir.Parak
By Fenrir.Parak 2008-12-21 15:35:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Judda nice point! xD Chances of that tho?... Hm... I wonder if this Aihin guy has his DD gear set displayed on FFXIah. I am gonna check
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2008-12-21 16:52:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Yugl said:

Absolutely agree with this. Unfortuantly, if people can replace a tank with a DD they do it and unless your gear is the best DD set a pld can wear there really isnt much chance for you. Best bet is to either level another job or get in a group with close friends who wont mind.

I've seen plds DD in xp parties before to "speed up the kills" and really they spent over 1M on DD gear to knock out an extra 100 dmg it just doesnt seem worth it. Good to see your leveling Sam Parak :) im in the same position as you and i'm leveling Blm and Sam atm lol
 Fenrir.Parak
By Fenrir.Parak 2008-12-21 18:31:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I think that PLD is good as it is. But in order for people to take it seriously it needs more job specific abilites with shields and stuff like that. I don't really know how to explain it but sometimes I just feel like people think PLD is worthless because other jobs can tank and still deal tons of damage. Parak=PLD=worthless? hahaha! /cut /cut ; ;
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7