PLD=No Thx?!?!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » PLD=No thx?!?!
PLD=No thx?!?!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Fenrir.Parak
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Parak 2009-12-05 01:00:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I noticed recently that this thread came back alive :0

I still beleive that PLD could be very nice for nyzul and stuff but going as my thief is so much more fun now because people love TH and the hate control abilities that come along with THF. I just overall don't like SAM, but anyways I am on floor 41 now. Soon enough I will start a static and finish the place off. I couldve done it a lot sooner though if people actually took PLDs. In all honesty I haven't played PLD in quite some time because of my lack of Atonement (lol). I feel so gimp!

Anyways I guess what I am trying to say is that if you ever want to finish nyzul without a bunch of friends in a static as PLD... You won't. Level a different job lol.
 Ragnarok.Orlind
Server: Ragnarok
user: Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2009-12-15 10:56:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah still sucks that PLDs are still being underrated and left out of fun things like Nyzul. Like a previous poster said, its more about communication above all else. As a leader of a pickup party for Nyzul, I will always look for experience and communication ability. If I have any doubts about a person, I will ask.

Don't know about anyone else but I simply can't play this game without the threat of failure or a good challenge. And I've disregarded traditional party setups simply to learn more about my own limits and its plain fun. Learned this when I did most of CoP as an old-school geared PLD/WAR with a PLD partner and only 1 real heavy DD (no heavy nukers either).

I've done Nyzul with 2xRDM/NIN (main DDs), SMN/WHMx3 and PLD/DNC and was able to make it 7 floors. I took them simply because of each person's experience in Nyzul and it was one of the best runs I've had with the PLD saving us plenty of time. I dare say its more effective than any "lol sure thing" set ups that people keep clinging to.
Server: Remora
By Remora.Blackwhirlwind 2009-12-15 11:07:22
Link | Quote | Reply

PLD really doesnt have place in nyzul, its all completing the objective next floor, not ooo i wanna tank, just kill the mob and be on your way plain an simple
 Titan.Gennss
Server: Titan
user: gennss
By Titan.Gennss 2009-12-15 12:22:10
Link | Quote | Reply

problem is most of the mobs are about DC at best in nyzul. No point in tanking they're all too mushy. As for DD setups ::shrug:: I've gone nyzul /blm at least 3 times by accident (on drk) and still got wins. i think people have a lot of trouble going outside norm.

Had trouble getting people to listen to me for pugs in general, regardless of my experience.
[+]
 Remora.Abriel
Server: Remora
user: Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-15 14:33:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I blame it on the phail of pick-up parties, w/o knowing who you're doing your run with, using lesser desired jobs can be some what dangerous, esp if you plan to take an average thf (usually decently geared, but not to the extent you would consider taking them to events when benefits of TH are questionable) with you for boss runs. boss runs won't normally take as long as advancing floors because of the randomness of the assignments for every floor, which could be good or bad depending how you look at it, lol.

for a static, no one cares about the setup if you can get the job done with a high success rate. anyone saying otherwise jus' be trollin' (esp seeing as a standard group can get a run done in ~12 min. on average).
[+]
 Fairy.Arcarsenal
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Arcarsenal 2009-12-15 15:13:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I've taken a PLD on Nyzul runs before, and it worked just fine. If you have 5 solid players to begin with, your 6th (assuming you need a DD and not a RDM or something) can really be anything, even a PUP or SMN.

However I would be really wary of pickup PLDs for Nyzul. When I have brought a PLD to Nyzul it has always been ls only runs, so we knew exactly what we were getting, and were happy with it. The PLD just needs to understand what they are there for (damage), and gear accordingly.

If you are talking about non-boss floors, then there is no reason to avoid bringing a PLD since those floors can be done with 5 with time to spare (maybe even 4 if you're lucky, but I've never attempted that).

If you're intent on not leveling one of the traditional meripo/nyzul acceptable jobs, then I would suggest getting a static of friends/ls members together if at all possible. PLD is completely reasonable in Nyzul Isle, but you have to get invited first to prove it.

However, it is entirely conceivable that the difference in damage between PLD and jobs like WAR or SAM could make or break certain runs, depending on luck and player skill. This is probably why PLD is frowned upon for Nyzul, because in a pinch you would probably be better off with a heavier DD.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [170 days between previous and next post]
 Leviathan.Rihoko
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Rihoko 2010-06-03 06:30:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry I couldn't read all posts, but regarding topic I would say PLD slows groups in Nyzul unless you already have uber build DD PLD with correct gear and WS already unlocked (I mean Atonement here), and still that would be last resort if group is in difficulty to find members. Ironically you need to do Nyzul runs to unlock Atonement which would be almost impossible if you have only PLD job leveled such as me. That's why I'm currently working on WHM and RDM to be able to do other activities in game which I can not enter with my only PLD job. Simply game design works this way, and you need to work on as many jobs as you can to be a part of every activity in game.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-06-03 06:34:43
Link | Quote | Reply

You can /sam with a Martial GS and DD pretty well actually.
[+]
 Cerberus.Jetta
Server: Cerberus
user: Jetta
By Cerberus.Jetta 2010-06-03 06:40:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Rihoko said:
Sorry I couldn't read all posts, but regarding topic I would say PLD slows groups in Nyzul unless you already have uber build DD PLD with correct gear and WS already unlocked (I mean Atonement here), and still that would be last resort if group is in difficulty to find members. Ironically you need to do Nyzul runs to unlock Atonement which would be almost impossible if you have only PLD job leveled such as me. That's why I'm currently working on WHM and RDM to be able to do other activities in game which I can not enter with my only PLD job. Simply game design works this way, and you need to work on as many jobs as you can to be a part of every activity in game.

Atonement would be useless in Nyzul Isle, by the time you built up hate to do decent damage with it the mob would be dead.
[+]
 Leviathan.Rihoko
By Leviathan.Rihoko 2010-06-03 06:54:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Jetta said:
Atonement would be useless in Nyzul Isle, by the time you built up hate to do decent damage with it the mob would be dead.

I'm sorry, I didn't know that, just guessing because I couldn't find the opportunity to do Nyzul runs yet. One thing that I'm certain, even if you enter Nyzul with PLD you need to give decent damage, so /SAM stands a nice option as Dracondria mentioned above. The only problem would be convincing people that you could be enough DD as PLD/SAM for Nyzul. Some people really built resistance against PLD when it comes to Nyzul runs.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-06-03 07:05:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Can do Nyzul with any jobs really, if the people are competent enough.
[+]
 Fenrir.Luarania
user: Whknight
By Fenrir.Luarania 2010-06-03 07:08:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Jetta said:
Leviathan.Rihoko said:
Why I use Swift or Vorpal.

Doing a Nyzul climb, currently in a static and so far doing very well, should be past floor 40 tomorrow night.

I idle in my DD gears for the normal mobs and so far only fought Behe once completely. Ran out of time the first 20 time, but the second I held it and feel like I saved some healing. Even though we rested before fighting it I believe our SCH could have been nearly out of MP and we could have beat it.

inb4lolbehemoth, I don't have any king experiance so for me I felt it was a great accomplishment even if it was a weaker version.
 Valefor.Argettio
Server: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-06-03 07:36:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Number 1 rule of nyzul.

Bring people who don't suck.

Jobs, and (to a point) gear doesn't matter, just being intelligent players who know what they are doing and communicate in game is what matters.

PLD wouldn't be my first choice for a DD, and there is no need for a real tank in nyzul, but I am sure I could still clear 5 floors with a PLD.
Server: Asura
By Asura.Knightofdragon 2010-06-03 10:22:17
Link | Quote | Reply

If your useing a static PLD is quite fine in Nyzul, But once u join a shout group your gonna want the optimal/best jobs, giveing you better chance of winning, Even when a mistake happens
Fact is PLD can have the Best optimal DD gear, and prob still get out parsed by an avergely geared WAR or MNK.
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
user: Vite
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2010-06-03 10:26:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Unfortunately the game is filled with noobs who think that only given jobs work for anything. They even say BLU= no thx in nyz isle.

I was in your place in 2004, i only had blm leveled back then, and got tired from those noobs, and since then i make my own exp pt and everthing else.

Just don't wait for people to shout and start your own.
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-06-03 10:34:00
Link | Quote | Reply

PLD does just fine. It won't out parse a dedicated melee job but it can hold its own, I wouldn't turn someone down if I needed a 6th member. Also /WAR, flash/voke easily puts atonement over 400, and people forget Vorpal Blade can do some nice damage.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-06-03 10:35:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Argettio said:
Number 1 rule of nyzul.

Jobs, and (to a point) gear doesn't matter, just being intelligent players who know what they are doing and communicate in game is what matters.

PLD wouldn't be my first choice for a DD, and there is no need for a real tank in nyzul, but I am sure I could still clear 5 floors with a PLD.
QFT

I'm leading the group Luarania's in. We're running BLU PLD WHM SAM SAM DRG. Runs have been very smooth, we consistently clear runs with plenty of time to spare aside from the aforementioned 20 that was ruined by poor communication. PLD wouldn't be my first choice of job, but it's hardly been a detriment to us either.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-06-03 10:37:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Vitaru said:
Unfortunately the game is filled with noobs who think that only given jobs work for anything. They even say BLU= no thx in nyz isle.

I was in your place in 2004, i only had blm leveled back then, and got tired from those noobs, and since then i make my own exp pt and everthing else.

wat
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Ihm
By Siren.Ihm 2010-06-03 10:37:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Need an Excal PLD in Nyzul... Body Boody with the Additional effect of that sword... holy ***...
 Ragnarok.Tuvae
user: Tuvae
By Ragnarok.Tuvae 2010-06-03 10:39:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I did nyzul isle a long time ago with a pld/nin with two swords, went very well infact. Cant recall the guys name but he did good.
 Shiva.Superdan
Server: Shiva
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-06-03 10:42:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Main problem is when you're talking about DD paladins, is that majority of PLDs don't carry around DD setups, hell I don't see many gear swap at all. I'll be first to admit I don't have a dedicated DD setup for PLD, best I could pull out is throwing on whatever gear my SAM or DRG use, but then again, I never use PLD. My PLDs done nothing since it hit 75 except campaign.

I wouldn't personally be against a PLD being in a Nyzul run if they know what they're doing. I've done a couple nyzul runs with a PLD before, and it can work out well. Having a dedicated tank can allow easier uses of JA's without as great risks. Then again, a good WAR/NIN could voke @1 and out-parse a Paladin too.
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2010-06-03 10:43:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ragnarok.Vitaru said:

wat

Yeh that's the level of pick up parties now ;/
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-06-03 10:47:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Superdan said:
Main problem is when you're talking about DD paladins, is that majority of PLDs don't carry around DD setups, hell I don't see many gear swap at all. I'll be first to admit I don't have a dedicated DD setup for PLD, best I could pull out is throwing on whatever gear my SAM or DRG use, but then again, I never use PLD. My PLDs done nothing since it hit 75 except campaign.

I wouldn't personally be against a PLD being in a Nyzul run if they know what they're doing. I've done a couple nyzul runs with a PLD before, and it can work out well. Having a dedicated tank can allow easier uses of JA's without as great risks. Then again, a good WAR/NIN could voke @1 and out-parse a Paladin too.

It's not a job comparison. Obviously a WAR or any other melee will out parse PLD. But if you need a member and someone only has PLD, its not going to hurt your set up any. Hell, even a PLD with a generic DD set like Haubergeon/Dusk/Swift/Turban would be sufficient enough for Nyzul.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-06-03 11:04:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Vitaru said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ragnarok.Vitaru said:

wat

Note to self: never transfer to Ragnarok.
[+]
 Odin.Venomous
Server: Odin
By Odin.Venomous 2010-06-03 11:22:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Argettio said:
Number 1 rule of nyzul.

If I can complete Non-boss floors with 3-4 people only, then adding a PLD to the climb won't make a difference. It boils down to 1 of 2 things. Your team either knows what the hell they are doing or they don't.
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2010-06-03 11:27:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ragnarok.Vitaru said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ragnarok.Vitaru said:

wat

Note to self: never transfer to Ragnarok.

lol I'v been to too many servers and this happened in quatz.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-06-03 11:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Tomayto, tomahto
 Leviathan.Abriel
user: Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-06-03 15:35:07
Link | Quote | Reply

yup, with the right gear pld can be about as good as any other job in nyzul. it's mostly up to the player to get the tasks for each floor down which will make or break the group (pld/nin with the correct gear/food using joy/justice can be pretty danm beastly on the level of mobs you see in there).
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-06-03 15:40:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Considering you can beat nyzul with 3 or 4 people, I figure the other 2 or 3 are just for shits n giggles.

Why not show a paladin some love.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7