New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » People who freak out about being checked
People who freak out about being checked
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13
By rainlab 2010-04-18 23:15:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oddin said:
All it is and all it ever was was a power play. People want to have some sort of dominance over someone else. You can't check me! You didn't ask my permission! That's crap a baby would do.

I believe it was called privacy. Do I believe there is any in this game? Absolutely not. But I'm simply pointing out the fact that it has nothing to do with "dominance." It's about privacy.
Sylph.Oddin said:
It has nothing to do with culture or creed.

And how would you know? Just curious.

Listen, in all honesty, I don't "freak out" when someone examines me. In fact, I don't even give it a second thought because I'm so used to it. What I've been pointing to in this entire thread (at least from page 7) is that it can be and is considered rude by many people; especially those of different cultures and backgrounds.

I just want to know why that wouldn't be enough for most. If someone asked me not to do something because it made them feel uncomfortable at all, I would oblige. Especially if it's something I really don't need to do.

Since when did that type of behavior become something so foreign?
[+]
 Alexander.Nepharite
Server: Alexander
Game: FFXI
user: nepharite
By Alexander.Nepharite 2010-04-18 23:17:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Nui said:
I hate people when you check they start to switch gears right away!

Thanks god for blinkmenot.

Gear changing doesn't effect "/c insertname" either.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Axle
Server: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2010-04-18 23:17:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Chat
Magic
Abilities
Items
Trade
Check

Might of missed this from page change, but if you don't like Check then please stop using the other 5 basic commands when you click an NPC/mob.
[+]
By rainlab 2010-04-18 23:22:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Axle said:
Chat
Magic
Abilities
Items
Trade
Check

Might of missed this from page change, but if you don't like Check then please stop using the other 5 basic commands when you click an NPC/mob.

No, it's there on the previous page. Thank you for the repost. And like many others, I didn't comment on it for a reason.
[+]
 Sylph.Oddin
Server: Sylph
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-04-18 23:29:48
Link | Quote | Reply

rainlab said:
Sylph.Oddin said:
All it is and all it ever was was a power play. People want to have some sort of dominance over someone else. You can't check me! You didn't ask my permission! That's crap a baby would do.

I believe it was called privacy. Do I believe there is any in this game? Absolutely not. But I'm simply pointing out the fact that it has nothing to do with "dominance." It's about privacy.
Sylph.Oddin said:
It has nothing to do with culture or creed.

And how would you know? Just curious.

Listen, in all honesty, I don't "freak out" when someone examines me. In fact, I don't even give it a second thought because I'm so used to it. What I've been pointing to in this entire thread (at least from page 7) is that it can be and is considered rude by many people; especially those of different cultures and backgrounds.

I just want to know why that wouldn't be enough for most. If someone asked me not to do something because it made them feel uncomfortable at all, I would oblige. Especially if it's something I really don't need to do.

Since when did that type of behavior become something so foreign?

1. Privacy doesn't exist in a game that's designed to not be private. You want privacy, stay in your Mog House. This game is built upon the idea of openness and diversity and community. As you said earlier in one of your posts, gear doesn't make the player, the skill makes the player (which I agree with to an extent. You can have great skill but if you're still using lvl 50 gear at 75, we have issues). So what does it matter what gear you have? Because that's what this comes down to. All a person can see when they check you is your gear and your LS. So if gear doesn't matter then where's the problem? You people are getting angry because we're looking at YOUR pixels.

2. How do I know this has nothing to do with culture or creed? Because those concepts stop at the login screen. When you log onto this game, you're entering another culture. An online culture where your rules and your beliefs hold no sway on things. In this world, around your people, your ways are your ways and that's the only way. However when you step into an online world, the rules change. Things like this are prime examples. You say the Japanese get offended by /checking when in fact I've met quite a few who couldn't care less. I've also met NA players and EU players who believe /checking is wrong. Nothing to do with your culture. It goes back to the dominance issue. They feel they are superior and they demand you ask their permission before you /check them. Whereas the rest of us believe ourselves to be equals and this is only a game and who cares? No one is being hurt so there's no foul.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Axle
By Carbuncle.Axle 2010-04-18 23:38:09
Link | Quote | Reply

rainlab said:
Carbuncle.Axle said:
Chat
Magic
Abilities
Items
Trade
Check

No, it's there on the previous page. Thank you for the repost. And like many others, I didn't comment on it for a reason.

QQ
[+]
By rainlab 2010-04-18 23:44:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oddin said:
1. Privacy doesn't exist in a game that's designed to not be private.

Absolutely. I agree, and thus I've conceded that.
Sylph.Oddin said:
You say the Japanese get offended by /checking when in fact I've met quite a few who couldn't care less. I've also met NA players and EU players who believe /checking is wrong. Nothing to do with your culture. It goes back to the dominance issue.

Your sample size is way way too small to be of any use. Say hypothetically (and conservatively) that 80% of JP players care about being checked while only 5% of NA players and 15% of EU do. That would be a significant discrepancy. And I mean mind-bogglingly significant. It would be fairly obvious to me that there is indeed an underlying cultural issue here. And this wouldn't even be taking into account players who actually do care but pretend not to.

Yes, as with everything, there are exceptions on both sides. That doesn't mean that culture isn't playing a significant role here.
[+]
 Sylph.Ixe
user: Ixe
By Sylph.Ixe 2010-04-18 23:52:51
Link | Quote | Reply

If someone checks me
I /bite them!!!
My bazaar comment is fair warning :D
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-04-18 23:54:40
Link | Quote | Reply

My avatar depicts what happens if Christopher Walken checks you, and you get pissy about it <.<
[+]
 Sylph.Oddin
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-04-18 23:56:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnumatic said:
My avatar depicts what happens if christopher Walken checks you, and you get pissy about it <.<

*** lol'd.
 Carbuncle.Axle
By Carbuncle.Axle 2010-04-18 23:56:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Freaking out about being checked clearly classifies you as a 75 emo/drk. Very few ppl ever do freak out, i would know. I check EVERYONE!!!
I have had like 1/1000+ of freak outs. Maybe a blinker once a month or so. Was alot worse in 2004-06, JP liked to keep their equip secret.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-18 23:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

If you blink on me I can garuntee I will keep checking you till I've seen everything in your bazaar (why you are preventing from doing so is beyond me) and check every peice of gear you have for everychange.

On a related note like 50 peopple just examined me and checked my bazaar!!! Have they no shame! I should've blinked on them!
 Carbuncle.Axle
By Carbuncle.Axle 2010-04-19 00:01:55
Link | Quote | Reply

When you see someone with cool armor you check them, they blink to another set to get you to leave them, but its like.... hmmm more armor to see... they blink to set before... dang you just wanna keep checking... stop blinking.
[+]
 Caitsith.Blurr
Server: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2010-04-19 00:03:14
Link | Quote | Reply

or you could actually type /c person and avoid the problem all together ehe.

edit: which is the ONLY way i check people for all said reasons.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Axle
By Carbuncle.Axle 2010-04-19 00:04:54
Link | Quote | Reply

well i start doing that when they start flipping to different sets. Very nice of some ppl to show you all their armor sets
 Carbuncle.Bombard
user: bombard
By Carbuncle.Bombard 2010-04-19 00:07:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm...

Let me get this right, you're Japanese-American, ok. So you're affluent with BOTH cultures, yet both Japan and America have many sub-cultures within themselves as well. I have yet to meet or live in a culture to this day that does not wear clothing in some form or another within their social structures. Throughout recorded history, people with higher political/religious/capitalist/etc statuses wear clothing to 'label' who they are in a society. You mean to tell me you haven't 'examined' anyone before?

Alright ... now to the entire being examined at a camp to be acceptable to you, yet someone curious about what gear stats are on something foreign/interesting to them. Really? Do you still /c playername at a camp if they are /anon? if they are /anon apparently they want to be private about what they are doing. I've lived in many cultures, and have a wide ethnic variety of friends and family in my life -- 0% of them would ever find it rude to be 'examined' in a video game.

Maybe Japanese gamers are so out of touch with the real world (one could hypothesize), that the lines between such and a virtual world are so converged that maybe they need to put the keyboard down and take a nice walk, you know ... outside. It's one thing to get pissed over someone staring at you IRL, but when you're starting to think 0's and 1's are piercing your soul you have some serious issues. I shouldn't say only Japanese act this way, as it just takes a different effect on people from other cultures, say NA's and turning that into 'elitism'.

So (jokingly) when you walk down the street do you close your eyes and walk naked? That's pretty much my thesis statement for this entire TL;DR.

[+]
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2010-04-19 00:09:13
Link | Quote | Reply

im a nudist.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-19 00:15:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Blurr said:
im a nudist.
POIDH
 Carbuncle.Bombard
By Carbuncle.Bombard 2010-04-19 00:16:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I shower in a bathing suit. You never know when 'the man' might bust down your door suspecting you of terrorism. Wouldn't want them to see the explosive device on my scrotum.
[+]
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2010-04-19 00:21:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Caitsith.Blurr said:
im a nudist.
POIDH

ok?
[+]
 Carbuncle.Bombard
By Carbuncle.Bombard 2010-04-19 00:22:28
Link | Quote | Reply

but you're not newd!
[+]
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2010-04-19 00:23:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Bombard said:
but you're not newd!

it'd be mod removed before you even got a chance ;;
[+]
 Carbuncle.Bombard
By Carbuncle.Bombard 2010-04-19 00:26:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd be more interested if the bigger Sombrero was down below! Not gay or anything but curiosity is what killed this thread after all!
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-19 00:26:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Blurr said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Caitsith.Blurr said:
im a nudist.
POIDH

ok?
Hmmmm
 Ramuh.Laffter
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-04-19 00:29:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Ixe said:
If someone checks me
I /bite them!!!
My bazaar comment is fair warning :D
Which they can't see without /checking you out. :P
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2010-04-19 00:31:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Bombard said:
I'd be more interested if the bigger Sombrero was down below! Not gay or anything but curiosity is what killed this thread after all!

ill take that as a compliment ^^
[+]
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
Server: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-04-19 00:35:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Bombard said:
So (jokingly) when you walk down the street do you close your eyes and walk naked? That's pretty much my thesis statement for this entire TL;DR.
I dunno, the two aren't really equivalent. It's more like as you walk around, you stop and stare at everyone you pass like you're trying to figure out where they bought their clothes, what brand, etc... Try doing that and most people will be like, wtf is your problem? The type of just looking at people briefly you're equating to is exactly the same as in FFXI, we walk around all the time and we see people's gear without having to examine them.

Personally, I think the people complaining about this are just as bad as the people who complain when they get checked, but that's just me, lol.
 Carbuncle.Bombard
By Carbuncle.Bombard 2010-04-19 00:40:19
Link | Quote | Reply

lol!

Clothing optional parties were always fun. I think this year's annual trip to cape cod will now include us going to P-town and I'll be wearing that Sombrero ensemble on the streets. 3 more months for me to get my abs back! I'll make sure I wear an "an album cover" so I don't get any surprises!

Thanks for the inspiration for 2010's Cape Cod drunken idiot night. A few years ago it was me running around in my boxers pretending I was on fire ... we just had to go watch Talledega Nights in the theater that evening. This will sure top that.
 Carbuncle.Bombard
By Carbuncle.Bombard 2010-04-19 00:43:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Tarowyn said:
Carbuncle.Bombard said:
I dunno, the two aren't really equivalent. It's more like as you walk around, you stop and stare at everyone you pass like you're trying to figure out where they bought their clothes, what brand, etc... Try doing that and most people will be like, wtf is your problem? The type of just looking at people briefly you're equating to is exactly the same as in FFXI, we walk around all the time and we see people's gear without having to examine them.

Personally, I think the people complaining about this are just as bad as the people who complain when they get checked, but that's just me, lol.

I've always been bad with thesis statements, so I always had an Asian kid write my Thesis statements ironically enough ;D
[+]
 Bismarck.Azagthothe
Server: Bismarck
user: Azagthoth
By Bismarck.Azagthothe 2010-04-19 02:44:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll check whoever I want whenever I want. Why? It's part of my personality, to be aware of my surroundings and the mechanics of the world/game, which includes the people that inhabit it.

I will not change my behaviour, to accommodate another group that is not willing to lend me the same courtesy. I'm expected to just stop checking players; however, the same players don't make any attempt to understand the rational behind why I'm checking them, to try to accommodate me even slightly.

I'm not ignorant--to other cultures completely, by the way. When my girlfriend and I travel to Japan we're not going to make out in public, tip the waiters/waitresses, and/or leave food on our plates, because that would be disrespectful, to the Japanese culture. I will adhere, to their lifestyle when I'm on their soil; however, FFXI is Square Enix's soil and I don't see anywhere where they state checking somebody is rude, etc.

P.S. I used I/players mainly, because I wanted to avoid any culture clash; I will not criticize a culture that is not my own (aside from jokingly), because I can admit that I possess a certain degree of ignorance when it comes to the true nature of cultures aside from my own. It's quite easy to point out err when you're just a spectator.

[Sorry, if anybody has quoted me. I've made a few modifications, to correct/clarify after posting this originally.]
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13