Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » February 2024 Version Update
February 2024 Version Update
By SimonSes 2024-02-13 19:38:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
I think Scythe overall being slower is a problem though especially without a WAR in the party.

I would say its exactly the opposite.
Scythe isn't slower TP gain, it's only slower to 1000 if you build both as 4hit. So if you have Savagery from WAR and want to spam as soon as you hit 1000+, then Gsword is faster (unless you reduce Scythe to 3hit). If you don't have WAR and you wait for 2000+ TP, then they are both same speed, because Scythe on avg will get there with half round less, which will even out longer rounds.

The reason I love DRK a lot is it's ceiling. If you are willing to risk a little 99k Cross reapers are super easy even without Aria.

I actually wonder if Liberator wouldn't easily destroy everything with SV Aria. You would 99k too with way better WS frequency.
By Guyford 2024-02-13 20:30:30
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
I think Scythe overall being slower is a problem though especially without a WAR in the party.

Scythe isn't slower TP gain, it's only slower to 1000 if you build both as 4hit. So if you have Savagery from WAR and want to spam as soon as you hit 1000+, then Gsword is faster (unless you reduce Scythe to 3hit). If you don't have WAR and you wait for 2000+ TP, then they are both same speed, because Scythe on avg will get there with half round less, which will even out longer rounds.

The reason I love DRK a lot is it's ceiling. If you are willing to risk a little 99k Cross reapers are super easy even without Aria.

I actually wonder if Liberator wouldn't easily destroy everything with SV Aria. You would 99k too with way better WS frequency.

Scythe gets TP slower overall, 431 delay vs 513 delay. Comes out to about 2.2% slower tp gain with scythe.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2024-02-13 21:50:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Guyford said: »

Scythe gets TP slower overall, 431 delay vs 513 delay. Comes out to about 2.2% slower tp gain with scythe.

I believe the counter-balance is that higher delay weapons get more TP back on WS's are those are a static 2s delay.
[+]
By SimonSes 2024-02-14 04:10:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
I believe the counter-balance is that higher delay weapons get more TP back on WS's are those are a static 2s delay.

This and also, for avg TP gain, 6%TA on Foenaria easily beats 10sTP on Helheim (assuming Samurai roll). Foenaria can also use Shere, which at R30 significantly beats Telos.

With standard TP set for high end content (Full Sakpata, Niq/Chirich+1, +2 neck, Coiste, dex/da cape, Dedition, Sailfi+1) Foenaria has 1.5% faster TP gain (+more TP on WS) with Schere against Telos. If you can use Schere for Helheim (which I guess is kinda doable in Sortie), then Helheim is 1.5% faster, but without Savagery it's very behind on WS damage.

If you can use Schere with Helheim and you can get enough buffs between Absorbs, Savagery, Scarlet etc. to hit 99k Fimbulvetr at 1119TP (WS+3hits with bove set), then Helheim is 4.8% ahead in DPS. If you can't hit 99k at that low TP threshold, then Helheim starts losing hard to Foenaria. Foenaria can also win even in scenario I just mentioned if you sacrifice survivability and push it to 3hit build with few changes including swapping to Flamma head/feet and you need a good Samurai roll (lucky + head proc or 11 without proc).
If you care only about DRK, you can make Nyame feet path A and then with good Samurai roll, you can make 3hit build even with Sakpata's head and you then have both survivability and higher DPS on Foenaria.
By Taint 2024-02-14 05:54:01
Link | Quote | Reply

How is it very behind on WS? STR/VIT is slightly better than STR/INT. (+2 earring is the biggest swap) The FTP is also slightly better, making them near even unless you can use ALL the PDL but then you are back to the 99k cap.

+10stp on a linear scaling WS (both WSs) vs 6ta. I understand the weight of 6ta is close to 18stp but its a 6% proc (1/19) vs a constant in a game where fights are 1 min long max. That TA can easily be wasted at max buffs esp WC.

Why wouldn't you use Schere? The MP advantage is emnity (which can be useful no doubt)

The killer is Helheim can but used by WAR.
By SimonSes 2024-02-14 07:25:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
How is it very behind on WS? STR/VIT is slightly better than STR/INT. (+2 earring is the biggest swap) The FTP is also slightly better, making them near even unless you can use ALL the PDL but then you are back to the 99k cap.

VIT advantage over INT is minimal, while Foenaria have 64 base damage advantage (and much higher fSTR cap too), which alone beats fTP advantage of Fimbulvetr. Then pdif cap on Scythe is almost 6% higher too. Overall at the same TP threshold Fimbulvetr would only be like 8% weaker, but they are not gonna be on the same TP after WS+3hits. Foenaria will be at ~1245TP and Helheim at 1119, which will result in Foenaria doing much more damage with lower WS frequency and at those TP thresholds without Savagery you are not doing 99k with both. Especially without SV Aria.

Why wouldn't you use Schere? The MP advantage is emnity (which can be useful no doubt)

You can't cast without MP, so unless you have some sort of refresh, that earring will eat up whole MP with Gsword. Please just don't tell me you don't use spells on DRK XD

EDIT: Scythe is also cool for self heal after being slapped hard for Scarlet bonus, but I guess on such a short fight it's more of a fun part rather than optimal approach. For optimal approach just being hit with initial hit is enough and that hit doesn't do that much damage.
By Atrox78 2024-02-14 08:25:48
Link | Quote | Reply

VIT advantage over INT is minimal, while Foenaria have 64 base damage advantage (and much higher fSTR cap too), which alone beats fTP advantage of Fimbulvetr. Then pdif cap on Scythe is almost 6% higher too. Overall at the same TP threshold Fimbulvetr would only be like 8% weaker, but they are not gonna be on the same TP after WS+3hits. Foenaria will be at ~1245TP and Helheim at 1119, which will result in Foenaria doing much more damage with lower WS frequency and at those TP thresholds without Savagery you are not doing 99k with both. Especially without SV Aria.

You can't cast without MP, so unless you have some sort of refresh, that earring will eat up whole MP with Gsword. Please just don't tell me you don't use spells on DRK XD

EDIT: Scythe is also cool for self heal after being slapped hard for Scarlet bonus, but I guess on such a short fight it's more of a fun part rather than optimal approach. For optimal approach just being hit with initial hit is enough and that hit doesn't do that much damage.

If you are doing ws at that low of tp, you aren't using prime weapons properly. Tp scaling can not be surpassed by more buffs. You aren't capping dmg lower then 2.5k on any weapon I've used or seen. Also, if you are talking in terns of shear dps out put, you wouldn't be using mp. I am not saying one shouldnt but the fact of the matter is, casting takes time and time limits tp gain / ws frequency/ dmg output.

Prime weapons excell at 2.5k tp and north. The difference between 2k and 2.5k is fairly substantial. At lower tp thresholds, other option start creeping in (torcleaver as an example). On the polearm for instance, 2k to 2.5k tp is a difference of 15 to 20k on the ws depending on buffs and what I am fighting.

I can not accurately compare the dmg of the GS to the Scythe as I do not own either but I do run with a friend who has stage 4 scythe and I out dps him most times using caldbolg (when I am on drk of cource). The tp gain is slow and try to make up scenarios where it is superior all you want but at the end of the day, it's just not there.

Scythe got its special sauce for a reason. It's a great weapon and the more practical choice for a drk main for sure. But if you want to get into the parse, it falls behind other options (including caldbolg atleast at stage 4) due to the long delay abd the fact that you need 2k tp plus to utilize the ws properly.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-02-14 08:33:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Atrox78 said: »
When you get one, you will see ( because it's pretty damn obvious you don't have one and are speculating based on math you want to believe).

From the last page:
I have both dagger and scythe Stage III and I used dagger on RDM and DNC, so I know what I'm dealing with.
By Atrox78 2024-02-14 08:42:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Missed this part. Thank you for the correction.
By Taint 2024-02-14 08:54:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Using the generic DRK r25 WS set.

Fimb has a 4% WSC advantage. 387 VIT vs 342 INT. (stage 4)
Another 4% FTP advantage. (my calc has Fimb at 10.0 at 3000tp but I went with 9.9)

At its most basic form:

Fimb (472str, 387vit) = (318+515)*9.9

Origin (472str, 342int( = (379+488)*9.5

Slight advantage to Fimb evened out by fSTR. These WSs are nearly identical. Scythe picks more att naturally, Fimb picks up frequency.
By SimonSes 2024-02-14 09:54:44
Link | Quote | Reply

If you are doing ws at that low of tp, you aren't using prime weapons properly. Tp scaling can not be surpassed by more buffs. You aren't capping dmg lower then 2.5k on any weapon I've used or seen. Also, if you are talking in terns of shear dps out put, you wouldn't be using mp. I am not saying one shouldnt but the fact of the matter is, casting takes time and time limits tp gain / ws frequency/ dmg output.

Depends on buffs there is very small DPS difference between using Origin at 1000+ TP doing 80-90k damage and doing one more attack round to cap damage. Also with enough buffs like SV Aria, absorb STR/INT (with Liberator) and high enough Scarlet, you can reach 99k or very close with avg TP of around 1400+Moonshade /sam and much

I also doesn't suggest to use magic mid fight with bosses. Nether Void + DS Absorb STR with Liberator and bis set has over 7 min duration. You can do it on trash mobs while doing objectives and have it up for boss 5 min later. When there is no trash mobs stops before boss, you can still do that absorb as a pull spell on the boss at start. I haven't tried it on all bosses, but I think it should land with Dark Seal, just with half resisted duration (still long enough for entire fight). Endark II can also be nice and you cast it before fight.

I can not accurately compare the dmg of the GS to the Scythe as I do not own either but I do run with a friend who has stage 4 scythe and I out dps him most times using caldbolg (when I am on drk of cource). The tp gain is slow and try to make up scenarios where it is superior all you want but at the end of the day, it's just not there.

With optimal buffs, but without Savagery sheet suggests Caladbolg and Foenaria stage 4 to have very similar dps alongside Helheim stage 5. Only Stage 5 Foenaria seems to be ahead in this scenario, so it wouldn't surprise me for Caladbolg to beat Foenaria stage 4 in practice, especially with random factors like luck and player skill.

With optimal buffs and Savagery, Caladbolg is significantly ahead of even stage 5 Foenaria, until you change Foenaria setup to 3hit build, then Caladbolg is only slightly ahead.
By SimonSes 2024-02-14 10:45:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Fimb has a 4% WSC advantage. 387 VIT vs 342 INT. (stage 4)

You are Elvaan, you have higher VIT and lowest INT. As Taru I have probably 12 higher int and 10 lower VIT or something like that :) if I ever get +2 earring, my INT would be higher than VIT in that set.

Again Helheim frequency comes with lower TP. You will do 3 rounds faster, but you will have much less TP from them resulting in much lower WS damage unless you are superbuffed to the roof and can 99k anyway as soon as you hit 1000+
Also once again 3hit build with Foenaria is faster than 4hit Helheim if you want frequency with Foenaria.
 Shiva.Humpo
Server: Shiva
user: Humpo
By Shiva.Humpo 2024-02-14 11:18:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I’m curious, how do the numbers work with Foenaria and running 9k+ HP and souleater up?
I’ve been running that setup for 2 of the bosses mostly because I could.
By SimonSes 2024-02-14 11:27:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Humpo said: »
I’m curious, how do the numbers work with Foenaria and running 9k+ HP and souleater up?
I’ve been running that setup for 2 of the bosses mostly because I could.

It will add few % to dps, but it's nothing great and you will lose a chance to get good Scarlet bonus.
By Atrox78 2024-02-14 11:42:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends on buffs there is very small DPS difference between using Origin at 1000+ TP doing 80-90k damage and doing one more attack round to cap damage. Also with enough buffs like SV Aria, absorb STR/INT (with Liberator) and high enough Scarlet, you can reach 99k or very close with avg TP of around 1400+Moonshade /sam and much

I also doesn't suggest to use magic mid fight with bosses. Nether Void + DS Absorb STR with Liberator and bis set has over 7 min duration. You can do it on trash mobs while doing objectives and have it up for boss 5 min later. When there is no trash mobs stops before boss, you can still do that absorb as a pull spell on the boss at start. I haven't tried it on all bosses, but I think it should land with Dark Seal, just with half resisted duration (still long enough for entire fight). Endark II can also be nice and you cast it before fight.

With optimal buffs, but without Savagery sheet suggests Caladbolg and Foenaria stage 4 to have very similar dps alongside Helheim stage 5. Only Stage 5 Foenaria seems to be ahead in this scenario, so it wouldn't surprise me for Caladbolg to beat Foenaria stage 4 in practice, especially with random factors like luck and player skill.

With optimal buffs and Savagery, Caladbolg is significantly ahead of even stage 5 Foenaria, until you change Foenaria setup to 3hit build, then Caladbolg is only slightly ahead.

You're saying that your doing 80 to 90k origin at under 2k tp? Lies
By Veydal1 2024-02-14 11:55:14
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're getting Warcry from a WAR in your PT, you're at 1950 effective TP with moonshade (250 from moonshade, 700 from Warcry). You're going to hit capped damage more often than not with Aria if you're making use of all the PDL.

The truth of the matter is you're going to hit some really beefy numbers with ANY of the conventional weapons / WS with Aria. There's a separate thread for it, but in terms of 'job changing' or 'game changing' Primes, horn wins hands down IMO.

The whole argument around using prime weapons properly being dependent on using them at higher TP is an interesting take. You have to balance 'DPS' from sheets / sims with how long the fight realistically lasts. Sneaking in an extra WS or two is going to outweigh and extra dozen dmg per WS depending on how many WS you can get off before the target dies.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2024-02-14 13:40:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Any good screenshots of the new sets? Trying to pick out what my mules that won will wear.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-02-14 13:49:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Khajit said: »
Any good screenshots of the new sets? Trying to pick out what my mules that won will wear.

On the pages of all the sets, yes.
By RadialArcana 2024-02-14 13:56:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Why can't they put things into content as drops, it would be better than bonanza / login stuff. If they put these sets into limbus or kings or something people would do it for that, you know play the game.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-02-14 13:57:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Playing the game isn't their objective.

Getting your 15 mules to wear the gear and thus getting $15 dollars, is.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2024-02-14 14:22:10
Link | Quote | Reply

The Sapphire, Jadeite and Diamond sets look quite good, but the rest do not. Either way, I'd never pay for extra mules just for the extra chance of getting them.
By SimonSes 2024-02-14 14:56:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
The Sapphire, Jadeite and Diamond sets look quite good, but the rest do not. Either way, I'd never pay for extra mules just for the extra chance of getting them.

You cant send those to main. You need to get lucky on your main if you want them on main.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2024-02-14 16:38:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Khajit said: »

On the pages of all the sets, yes.
I said good screenshots. not the pictures made for ants SE gave us that only show one angle/race that I have to zoom and enhance like CSI is still relevant to discern blurry details about anything other than the bodies. Surely you weren't serious just now?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-02-14 16:45:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Scroll down half a page on the link. Full sized pix.

he should've used the links to the pic directly, but was lazy.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-02-14 16:48:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Scroll down half a page on the link. Full sized pix.

he should've used the links to the pic directly, but was lazy.

I think he's saying those are still not enough pixels for him. Maybe he plays the game really zoomed in all the time?

I can pretty easily guess what my character would look like wearing these armor sets, but I might be racist because I'm a taru. If you're a galka I guess you'd have to use some imagination to figure out how those pants would stretch on your tree trunks. Taru for scale.

Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-02-14 16:58:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe. It's the same gear from ~2007 just recolored, should know exactly what white usukane or green skadi looks like.

Wish they would've added emerald/sapphire/ruby dye and synergized the color you want on the base white sets (too much effort QQ) They'd all look good (best) white, and you can ruin them with color if you wanted.
[+]
 Asura.Dexprozius
By Asura.Dexprozius 2024-02-14 18:00:32
Link | Quote | Reply

SE needs to add a "Can Send POL" tag to all this ***... it only benefits them to have players pay for more content IDs
[+]