Forum » FFXI » General » February 2024 Version Update
February 2024 Version Update
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-02-13 11:31:45
Link | Quote | Reply

The only one that will be even remotely interesting is a scythe but no one uses scythes.
RadialArcana said: »
They made all these years ago when they made the ambuscade weapons, a full set. I would imagine the great katana will be next.

Hand to Hand x
Dagger x
Sword x
Great Sword x
Axes
Great Axes
Scythes
Polearm x
Katana
Great Katana
Clubs
Staves
Ranged
Instrument

Maaaaaybe a bow. Maybe.
[+]
By SimonSes 2024-02-13 13:01:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
but no one uses scythes.

What? It's like the most popular Prime weapon.

EDIT: Also most DRKs I see, who dont have Prime, use Apocalypse, because it's great and very easy to make.
By Godfry 2024-02-13 13:03:36
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »

Stupid made up scenario, but if you could only pick one prime, like the ring VR rings, which one would it be? Can be just because you like the job.. doesn't have to be the strongest.
By SimonSes 2024-02-13 13:04:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Godfry said: »

Stupid made up scenario, but if you could only pick one prime, like the ring VR rings, which one would it be? Can be just because you like the job.. doesn't have to be the strongest.

I'm like 51% Scythe 49% dagger, so I guess it would be Scythe if only one.
 Shiva.Ragnarzero
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Ragnarzero 2024-02-13 13:08:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Save yourself some Gali and don't make the dagger. Our Rdm got it, and its nothing super to write home about according to him. we were doing Oddy farm and Aeneas was throwing out harder WS's for him on his fully buffed/geared out rdm.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-02-13 13:13:20
Link | Quote | Reply

/Sea all 2015
/Sea all DRK 40

<1% use a scythe. 99% lockstyle a sword, a dagger, or a club

No one uses a scythe.

(And, Scythe, GA, PA will all look identical while afk. A staff.)
By Felgarr 2024-02-13 13:13:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Godfry said: »

I'm like 51% Scythe 49% dagger, so I guess it would be Scythe if only one.

Save you galli altogether and wait for SE to augment them. Maybe they'll be a job calibration based on augments
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2024-02-13 13:28:04
Link | Quote | Reply

No one uses a scythe.

I'd post Celebrindals rant from a year or so ago when I made a similar comment, but I can't find it.

I agree that not many do, but there are circumstances that they should. I use Redemption a fair bit in Sortie for our melee runs, it also parsed considerably higher vs Kalunga v20 (I tanked v25 so idk how it compares there) compared to Calad with the same group/auras/etc. DRK also has the benefit of constantly refilling their MP to leverage Schere and reduce hate. The white damage is really good and SC potential is better when you can do Darkness. Cross Reaper damage seems to scale higher, but is more volatile and less consistent than Torcleaver is. Quietus has outdone both TC and CR vs high def mobs.

I don't, and sadly won't, have the Prime but I hear the damage is consistent and the refill for both MP/HP is useful.

The problem is scythes almost always lose out to Calad on zergs which is where a lot of people want DRKs, any longer fights and it wins out. I've had some decent luck vs 4th floor in Sheol C, as well, but it's a tossup at times and you lose some of the benefits with fights that are shorter, at least IMO.

I use them whenever I can after his commentary a while ago and I don't think they are as niche as people think, just hasn't been a lot of exploration esp since Calad is so good.
[+]
By SimonSes 2024-02-13 13:50:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Ragnarzero said: »
Save yourself some Gali and don't make the dagger. Our Rdm got it, and its nothing super to write home about according to him. we were doing Oddy farm and Aeneas was throwing out harder WS's for him on his fully buffed/geared out rdm.

I have both dagger and scythe Stage III and I used dagger on RDM and DNC, so I know what I'm dealing with. It's for sure not a strongest raw damage weapon for RDM. Both Naegling and Maxientus hit harder.
Mpu Gandring is strongest raw damage weapon for DNC though and it's the job I care about when I consider getting this dagger.
For RDM (and DNC too) it's still amazing weapon if you can self SC in content without WS wall and the only real option for DNC to make multistep light skillchain.
[+]
By SimonSes 2024-02-13 13:59:59
Link | Quote | Reply

/Sea all 2015
/Sea all DRK 40

No one uses a scythe.

I would argue people on DRK are actual players though (almost none uses DRK on mule or to bot anything). While at least 50% of that other 2000 are bots or mules.

DRK is not DRG or WAR and does not use easy route Naegling/Savage unless in specific scenario. Scythe is overall a much better choice, than Great Sword. Similar damage, but Scythe has far more utility.
[+]
By jubes 2024-02-13 14:03:46
Link | Quote | Reply

dagger is insanely strong, ya'll trippin unless cap dmg + cap sc dmg is now somehow nothing to write home about
By SimonSes 2024-02-13 14:06:49
Link | Quote | Reply

jubes said: »
dagger is insanely strong, ya'll trippin unless cap dmg + cap sc dmg is now somehow nothing to write home about

By cap damage I assume you are talking about Climactic flourish (or I guess Sneak/Trick attack if you maybe talking about THF) Ruthless Stroke? DNC can do cap damage and SC with Rudra's too with Climactic. It's really more about damage without Climactic (or Building) when damage is not capped and then Ruthless is slightly stronger. It's also about ability to match Rudra's being a Darkness skillchain tool with Ruthless being a light skillchain tool.

Problem of Ruthless stroke is definitely a super low WSC, which is a massive ceiling limit. You can't overbuff yourself with stat+ like on DRK for example and go Super Saiyan. It's mainly a problem for RDM, where Gain spells are usually a really solid boost to other popular WSs.
By Argisto 2024-02-13 14:12:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Ragnarzero said: »
we were doing Oddy farm and Aeneas was throwing out harder WS's for him on his fully buffed/geared out rdm.

You must be confusing daggers because RDM can't use Aeneas
[+]
By Brandonfrito 2024-02-13 14:20:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Dagger and RDM is the problem. Probably not the job to be taking dagger advice from tbh.
[+]
By jubes 2024-02-13 14:20:25
Link | Quote | Reply

i'm not the dnc in question so i can't confirm how many climactic go off during the fight, but i was watching friends do sortie and that stuck out to me on aminon. there were plenty of 70-99k throughout the run, so i just wanted to question the post that said aeneas hits harder than mpu, ain't no way.
By SimonSes 2024-02-13 14:49:39
Link | Quote | Reply

jubes said: »
i'm not the dnc in question so i can't confirm how many climactic go off during the fight, but i was watching friends do sortie and that stuck out to me on aminon. there were plenty of 70-99k throughout the run, so i just wanted to question the post that said aeneas hits harder than mpu, ain't no way.

99k on Aminon are for sure Climactic. Climactic with +3 empy head is so strong, that it's not really a good gauge. 70k could be Ruthless damage with Aria and capped attack, but Twashtar's Rudra would be only maybe 2-3k behind at this point.
 Bahamut.Justthetip
Server: Bahamut
user: sairasu
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2024-02-13 15:07:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Caladbolg til they shut the game down! Why scythe when you can ape out with Torcleaver! Making prime scythe so I can get the heals and retire my apoc.
 Shiva.Flowen
user: Flowen255
By Shiva.Flowen 2024-02-13 15:10:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Inside the moghouse: "What a fresh look, i'm going to really stand out"

[+]
By jubes 2024-02-13 15:15:09
Link | Quote | Reply

they definitely have aria brd + cor + geo + rdm, so maybe it sucks without the best buffs i wouldn't know.

i'll revise my statement to say that dnc is insanely strong with mpu and good support, so don't count the dagger out just because it didn't do well in one seg farm.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-02-13 15:22:47
Link | Quote | Reply

/Sea all 2015
/Sea all DRK 40

No one uses a scythe.

I would argue people on DRK are actual players though (almost none uses DRK on mule or to bot anything). While at least 50% of that other 2000 are bots or mules.

DRK is not DRG or WAR and does not use easy route Naegling/Savage unless in specific scenario. Scythe is overall a much better choice, than Great Sword. Similar damage, but Scythe has far more utility.
Eiryl's an idiot and thinks every job thats on Naegling uses Naegling 24/7
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-02-13 15:28:18
Link | Quote | Reply

The black eyes on taru bother me.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2024-02-13 15:56:19
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
The black eyes on taru bother me.
[+]
 Shiva.Liam
By Shiva.Liam 2024-02-13 16:14:53
Link | Quote | Reply

probably dreaming but if the SE intern is untangling the mboze spaghetti code maybe they'll sort out Bumba's denounce next????
By Taint 2024-02-13 16:42:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Iamaman said: »
No one uses a scythe.

I'd post Celebrindals rant from a year or so ago when I made a similar comment, but I can't find it.

I agree that not many do, but there are circumstances that they should. I use Redemption a fair bit in Sortie for our melee runs, it also parsed considerably higher vs Kalunga v20 (I tanked v25 so idk how it compares there) compared to Calad with the same group/auras/etc. DRK also has the benefit of constantly refilling their MP to leverage Schere and reduce hate. The white damage is really good and SC potential is better when you can do Darkness. Cross Reaper damage seems to scale higher, but is more volatile and less consistent than Torcleaver is. Quietus has outdone both TC and CR vs high def mobs.

I don't, and sadly won't, have the Prime but I hear the damage is consistent and the refill for both MP/HP is useful.

The problem is scythes almost always lose out to Calad on zergs which is where a lot of people want DRKs, any longer fights and it wins out. I've had some decent luck vs 4th floor in Sheol C, as well, but it's a tossup at times and you lose some of the benefits with fights that are shorter, at least IMO.

I use them whenever I can after his commentary a while ago and I don't think they are as niche as people think, just hasn't been a lot of exploration esp since Calad is so good.

Prime GS is for certain higher DPS then Prime Scythe. Scythe has the cool gimic though.

And Prime GS you can alternate Torc/Fimb to avoid the wall when applicable.
By RadialArcana 2024-02-13 16:45:56
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By SimonSes 2024-02-13 17:17:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
Prime GS is for certain higher DPS then Prime Scythe. Scythe has the cool gimic though.

I don't see how GS can be higher DPS tbh. Origin with Foenaria is an overall higher damage WS, unless bg wiki has wrong numbers for Fimbulvetr.

GS is only better when you have like Savagery and SV Aria and both WSs hitting 99999 then at 1000TP+. Then Gsword is slightly higher DPS because both are 4hits builds. If you push Foenaria to 3hit (which obviously kinda hurts your survivability, because you would need to use like volte tights and Flamma head for example) it's ahead again.

With Scythe you can alternate with Cross Reaper. It's not as strong as Torcleave, but still very good.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-02-13 17:25:21
Link | Quote | Reply

We'll get em next time...
 Fenrir.Positron
Server: Fenrir
user: Positron
By Fenrir.Positron 2024-02-13 17:47:52
Link | Quote | Reply

DNC could already easily 99999+99999 with Rudra's Storm before Mpu Gandring came along. The big advantage for it is having a Light option, plus a second strong WS to get around the WS wall. Mpu Gandring has value because it makes DNC viable in Sortie and (certain) V25 fights, but it doesn't have any meaningful impact on DNC's DPS in situations where there are no WS/SC restrictions. I still use Aeneas or Twashtar in other content like Ambuscade and Peculiar Foes, especially while solo, and especially in EP parties, where Twashtar can two-shot enemies and Mpu Gandring generally cannot.
[+]
By Taint 2024-02-13 18:10:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »

I don't see how GS can be higher DPS tbh. Origin with Foenaria is an overall higher damage WS, unless bg wiki has wrong numbers for Fimbulvetr.

GS is only better when you have like Savagery and SV Aria and both WSs hitting 99999 then at 1000TP+. Then Gsword is slightly higher DPS because both are 4hits builds. If you push Foenaria to 3hit (which obviously kinda hurts your survivability, because you would need to use like volte tights and Flamma head for example) it's ahead again.

With Scythe you can alternate with Cross Reaper. It's not as strong as Torcleave, but still very good.

I'll have Scythe (s4) done here shortly (for a more direct comparison), but my sortie runs with a stage5 Scythe (r30 on one, r25 other) show WS frequency being the biggest factor. It just slower than Fimb and Chango but hits like a truck at 2k+ or with WC. The 99999 cap really hurts it as well like other 2h primes. Aria helps Chango/Upheaval and Torcleavor the most, taking them near cap. Seeing 99999 Torcleavors is pretty insane.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-02-13 18:18:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Have personally seen Cross Reaper hitting for 95k+ on Sortie bosses so Torcleaver isn't much of an ace in the hole. I think Scythe overall being slower is a problem though especially without a WAR in the party.

Quote:
Line 2235: [XXX] Cross Reaper on <Aita> [[99958]]
Line 2274: [XXX] Cross Reaper <Aita>
Line 2275: [XXX] Cross Reaper on <Aita> [[97646]]
Line 2317: [XXX] Cross Reaper <Aita>
Line 2319: [XXX] Cross Reaper on <Aita> [[78280]]

There's also the fact that GSword can be used by two of the most prolific DDs in the current meta whereas Scythe is single job.
[+]