[+]
 Sylph.Pve
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: zsky
By Sylph.Pve 2024-02-11 16:51:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
"Utsusemi" is a pretty outstanding ability that doesn't seem to appear in other media, not even other Final Fantasy titles.

An indie game called "Crystal Project" (Available on Steam) pulled the concept of FFXI's utsusemi into that game for the Ninja class.

I know it doesn't mean much but it makes me happy seeing the inspiration of utsusemi going around.

https://crystal-project.fandom.com/wiki/Ninja
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2024-02-11 18:19:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bravely Default's Ninja job had Utsusemi (and BD has subjobs). That made me very, very happy.
By Afania 2024-02-12 07:01:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Pve said: »
Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
"Utsusemi" is a pretty outstanding ability that doesn't seem to appear in other media, not even other Final Fantasy titles.

An indie game called "Crystal Project" (Available on Steam) pulled the concept of FFXI's utsusemi into that game for the Ninja class.

I know it doesn't mean much but it makes me happy seeing the inspiration of utsusemi going around.

https://crystal-project.fandom.com/wiki/Ninja

Utsusemi is not a FFXI term :p. Nor any game or media using this move copying FFXI.

It simply means empty cicada shell. When cicada mature they left an empty shell. So Japanese njnja called their illusion ninjutsu that created a clone of themselves "Utsusemi no Jutsu" like a cicada leaving the shell.

Granblue fantasy wiki explained it here: https://gbf.wiki/Utsusemi/Lore

You can find it in wide variety of Japanese media like bleach for example.

https://bleach.fandom.com/wiki/Utsusemi

This term also appeared in Japanese classic literature Genji Monogatari from 11th century as a beautiful female character, to show how she isn't within grasp like a cicada shell or something.

source

It is an oooooooooold term basically.
By RadialArcana 2024-02-12 07:12:17
Link | Quote | Reply

bleach and granblue copied it from ffxi, confirmed!

Also the original thing doesn't matter if something else makes it more popular, that effectively becomes the source for the larger population knowing about it. XI was insanely big and popular in Japan when it came out.
By Afania 2024-02-12 07:21:55
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
bleach and granblue copied it from ffxi, confirmed!

Also the original thing doesn't matter if something else makes it more popular, that effectively becomes the source for the larger population knowing about it. XI was insanely big and popular in Japan when it came out.

Lol, imagine an English story writer write a story based on the legend of King Arthur, then some dude from Japan said this is copying Fate because it is Fate series that made King Arthur popular.....

¯\(ツ)/¯

Edit: it is not popular to you because you are not exposed to Japanese culture.
By RadialArcana 2024-02-12 07:40:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's say there is a character called bongo from a fairly unknown childrens story book, and he makes magic by playing a bongo drum.

Then JK rowling added this character to Harry Potter accidentally after reading the book in her childhood, and now the world loves Bongo the magic bongo player from Harry Potter.

Harry potter will now effectively be the source of that character in the minds of the masses, you can tell people the actual source but it won't change the fact that 99.99% of people know it from that. Then people knowing it from Harry Potter lead them to be inspired to use that character in some way in their own works. For instance in a drawing they made, or a video game.

The popular version effectively becomes the source for people who use it after that, for instance Bleach anime.
By Afania 2024-02-12 07:50:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's say there is a character called bongo from a fairly unknown childrens story book, and he makes magic by playing a bongo drum.

This comparsion is silly lol. Utsusemi is not a character from an unknown book. It is literally a term in Japanese, in Japanese dictionary....

https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/word/%E7%A9%BA%E8%9D%89/

The popular version effectively becomes the source for people who use it after that, for instance Bleach anime.

I am pretty sure the concept of ninja was not introduced to most non-Japanese people by FFXI. And Japanese people know about them without needing to play ffxi since it is part of their culture and language.

And I am also pretty sure Bleach is more mainstream than ffxi, AND it started before FFXI. Bleach manga sold like what? 130 million copies. And it started in 2001, FFXI didn't even exist at that time.

The idea of Bleach's Utsusemi is copied from FFXI is just silly if you are not trolling or something.
By RadialArcana 2024-02-12 08:14:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Show me what date Utusemi was added to Bleach.
By Afania 2024-02-12 08:22:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Show me what date Utusemi was added to Bleach.

How about you show me what date the term "cicada" and "shell" was invented? Because holy ***, if a Japanese writer uses the term "cicada shell", which existed in Japanese dictionary for ages, they are copying it from FFXI according to you.
By RadialArcana 2024-02-12 10:02:49
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't know when it was added to Bleach, so you don't know if the writers of it were influenced by seeing it in XI or not. XI was very popular in the first few years after it came out.

Regardless the game the initial discussion sprouted from also uses many other terms from XI, including perfect dodge, dual wield etc so it obviously was inspired from FF11.
By Afania 2024-02-12 10:33:07
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't know when it was added to Bleach, so you don't know if the writers of it were influenced by seeing it in XI or not. XI was very popular in the first few years after it came out.

Or I can name a random 80-90s ninja themed TV show in Japan with Utsusemi no Jutsu, like Ninja Sentai Kakuranger or something, then say "oh look, FFXI copied utsusemi from those shows" too.

It is pointless to debate the source, as it is a very, very common concept in ninja related story. Claiming people using it are copying it from FFXI is as silly as claiming any western story with wizards and magic are copying the concept of magic from Harry Potter.

including perfect dodge, dual wield etc so it obviously was inspired from FF11.

Dual wield is from FFXI????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_wield

Quote:
there are numerous weapon-based martial arts that involve the use of a pair of weapons. The use of a companion weapon is sometimes employed in European martial arts and fencing, such as a parrying dagger. Miyamoto Musashi, a Japanese swordsman and ronin, was said to have conceived of the idea of a particular style of swordsmanship involving the use of two swords.

At this point you may as well claim everything is from FFXI lol.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-02-12 10:36:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Calling "Dual Wield" FFXI inspiration is absolute *** lulz.
[+]
By Afania 2024-02-12 10:38:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Calling "Dual Wield" FFXI inspiration is absolute *** lulz.

It is not even a FF universe technique lol.

Quote from above link:
Quote:
Traditional schools of Japanese martial arts include dual wield techniques, particularly a style conceived by Miyamoto Musashi involving the katana and wakizashi, two-sword kenjutsu techniques he called Niten Ichi-ryū.

This dude is like, from 500 years ago.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-02-12 10:44:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I know, I just wanted to point out the ability and term was used in FF games pre-dating FFXI.

Unless of course, FF4 Edge was inspired by FFXI.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-02-12 10:54:27
Link | Quote | Reply

The point was in addition to everything else, it was obvious Utsusemi was pulled from FF11 for that game.

There are numerous others, beastmaster, scholar, chakra, warcry, healing breeze, aegis, reprisal
By Afania 2024-02-12 11:27:55
Link | Quote | Reply

The point was in addition to everything else, it was obvious Utsusemi was pulled from FF11 for that game.

There are numerous others, beastmaster, scholar, chakra, warcry, healing breeze, aegis, reprisal

You may as well say gobs, sheeps, crabs and dunes are all from FFXI at this point.

Edit: I've seen the term beastmaster, scholar, chakra, warcry and aegis somewhere WAY before I even heard of FFXI lol.
[+]
By Afania 2024-02-12 12:02:19
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

This is Bleach's version, it doesn't even look like ffxi's version. It looks like cicada leaving a shell(same as the name suggested) instead of creating 3-4 clones like FFXI.

In granblue it is not even an ability, it is a character
https://gbf.wiki/Utsusemi

And yet you said granblue and bleach all copied it from FFXI lulz.