Random Politics & Religion #13

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #13
Random Politics & Religion #13
First Page 2 3 ... 34 35 36 ... 37 38 39
By Ramyrez 2016-10-25 13:31:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Ramyrez said: »
Check out "Bill Burr Philadelphia" on YouTube for a good heckling response. Just talks ***on Philly for like ten minute straight.

Legendary. What an awful crowd though.

Well yeah, I mean.

It's Philadelphia.

If it was going to happen anywhere...
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-10-25 13:33:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking of comedy... at least somewhat dark comedy...

Kid needs permission slip to read 'Fahrenheit 451,' his dad's response is brilliant
The Daily Dot

Quote:
Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury's cautionary tale about book censorship, was written as a response to the paranoid political climate of the McCarthy era, but its message apparently still hasn't sunk in. It's 2016, and some kids still aren't allowed to read the book without a permission slip from their parents.

Daily Show head writer Daniel Radosh just had to sign a note so his son could read it for a school book club. As Radosh's son Milo explained in the note, Fahrenheit 451 has been challenged over the years by parents who object to the book's mild swears ("hell" and "damn") and its depiction of Bible-burning.

But those objections miss the point of the novel—they could only be more ironic if parents were calling for copies of Bradbury's book to be destroyed. And Radosh is practically an irony-spotter by profession, so this wasn't lost on him. He signed the slip and attached his own note, praising Milo's teacher for immersing the kids so thoroughly in the world of Fahrenheit 451.

Here's what he wrote:

Quote:
I love this letter! What a wonderful way to introduce students to the theme of Fahrenheit 451 that books are so dangerous that the institutions of society -- schools and parents -- might be willing to team up against children to prevent them from reading one. It's easy enough to read the book and say, 'This is crazy. It could never really happen,' but pretending to present students at the start with what seems like a totally reasonable 'first step' is a really immersive way to teach them how insidious censorship can be I'm sure that when the book club is over and the students realize the true intent of this letter they'll be shocked at how many of them accepted it as an actual permission slip. In addition, Milo's concern that allowing me to add this note will make him stand out as a troublemaker really brings home why most of the characters find it easier to accept the world they live in rather than challenge it. I assured him that his teacher would have his back.
Looks like this assignment's going to be a learning experience for everyone involved.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-10-25 13:35:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Meta.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-10-25 13:52:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Speaking of comedy... at least somewhat dark comedy...

Kid needs permission slip to read 'Fahrenheit 451,' his dad's response is brilliant
The Daily Dot

Quote:
Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury's cautionary tale about book censorship, was written as a response to the paranoid political climate of the McCarthy era, but its message apparently still hasn't sunk in. It's 2016, and some kids still aren't allowed to read the book without a permission slip from their parents.

Daily Show head writer Daniel Radosh just had to sign a note so his son could read it for a school book club. As Radosh's son Milo explained in the note, Fahrenheit 451 has been challenged over the years by parents who object to the book's mild swears ("hell" and "damn") and its depiction of Bible-burning.

But those objections miss the point of the novel—they could only be more ironic if parents were calling for copies of Bradbury's book to be destroyed. And Radosh is practically an irony-spotter by profession, so this wasn't lost on him. He signed the slip and attached his own note, praising Milo's teacher for immersing the kids so thoroughly in the world of Fahrenheit 451.

Here's what he wrote:

Quote:
I love this letter! What a wonderful way to introduce students to the theme of Fahrenheit 451 that books are so dangerous that the institutions of society -- schools and parents -- might be willing to team up against children to prevent them from reading one. It's easy enough to read the book and say, 'This is crazy. It could never really happen,' but pretending to present students at the start with what seems like a totally reasonable 'first step' is a really immersive way to teach them how insidious censorship can be I'm sure that when the book club is over and the students realize the true intent of this letter they'll be shocked at how many of them accepted it as an actual permission slip. In addition, Milo's concern that allowing me to add this note will make him stand out as a troublemaker really brings home why most of the characters find it easier to accept the world they live in rather than challenge it. I assured him that his teacher would have his back.
Looks like this assignment's going to be a learning experience for everyone involved.

McCarthy wasn't he a Beetle ?
By fonewear 2016-10-25 13:53:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Beatle *
By Ramyrez 2016-10-25 14:23:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Man, I'm trying to think of a worse way of dissing Sir Paul than to mistake Joe McCarthy for him.

I guess you could buy all his songs out from under him and then charge him to play his own songs, but who would be such a jerk as to do something like...

Oh.
By fonewear 2016-10-25 17:22:25
Link | Quote | Reply

The Beatles are overrated there I said it !
[+]
By fonewear 2016-10-26 09:12:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Thought this was a pretty clever ad I cam across:

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By fonewear 2016-10-26 09:16:33
Link | Quote | Reply

came*
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-10-26 09:40:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Give in to your inner scumbag and vote Trump!

florida poll
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-10-26 09:47:33
Link | Quote | Reply

His poll averages are up in seven battleground states and also nationally. He's still a bit of a long shot, but any hopes of him being put away in advance are diminished.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-10-26 09:48:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Any link that starts with the word Florida is never good news.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2016-10-26 09:55:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Seha I left you some brilliant advice in ni yesterday, but it must've been nap time in Italy.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-10-26 09:56:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Candlejack said: »
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Give in to your inner scumbag and vote Trump!

florida poll
Hanging chads everywhere. 'Nuff said.

I'm glad Trump's "rigged" message is resonating with you.
[+]
By eliroo 2016-10-26 09:59:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Any link that starts with the word Florida is never good news.

Florida is a pretty crucial state for both parties despite it being a place of absolute ridiculousness.

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
His poll averages are up in seven battleground states and also nationally. He's still a bit of a long shot, but any hopes of him being put away in advance are diminished.

I honestly think Clinton will win but I think the electoral votes will be a lot closer then most people think.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-10-26 10:19:12
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »
I honestly think Clinton will win

it's her race to lose, always has been.

she has to convince people to vote for her which I don't hink she has done..../shrug

we'll see on the 8th
[+]
By eliroo 2016-10-26 10:28:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I honestly think Clinton will win

she has to convince people to vote for her which I don't hink she has done..../shrug

That's very true. It seems all of her money has went into narrative manipulation (Media, CTR ect.) and not so much into convincing people to vote for her. Her rallies are typically small and even her slogans : "I'm with her" and "It's her turn" don't promote any positive ideas.

She has argumentatively the easiest opponent and things were still close nationally before the "grab em" Trump event. She will win this election based on the medias ability to put Trump down.

Whereas if Bernie was running he would have won the election based on merit which is something we genuinely lack in this election.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-10-26 10:35:58
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
The Beatles are overrated there I said it !

Musically speaking, sure.

Influentially?

They were at the right place and the right time to become legendary and they took advantage in one of the finest acts of pure capitalism ever seen.

Somewhat ironically given a particular member's subsequent behavior.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-10-26 10:49:50
Link | Quote | Reply

She will win this election based on the medias ability to put Trump down.

If you are interesteed in politics based in reality, I invite you to stop listening to talk radio and do some research on past elections. Even on wikipedia.

The majority of people don't get their news from "the media".
[+]
By eliroo 2016-10-26 11:00:14
Link | Quote | Reply

She will win this election based on the medias ability to put Trump down.

If you are interesteed in politics based in reality, I invite you to stop listening to talk radio and do some research on past elections. Even on wikipedia.

The majority of people don't get their news from "the media".

If you are implying that I get my news from talk shows or even the MSM, you would be wrong.

I don't what you are implying by saying that most people don't get their news from the MSM. I think that a lot of people will get information from others but the root source of most information will the msm.
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-10-26 11:09:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Newt Gingrich had a pretty epic meltdown last night, I guess nobody joins the sexual predator club without his permission.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-10-26 11:20:19
Link | Quote | Reply

the root source of most information will the msm.

pathways to news pew research center
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-10-26 11:27:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know about you guys but I get all my news from my barber and the security guards. I don't know where our guards get their news, but they always seem really well-informed with really well-formed opinions on immigration and fiscal policy.

And who can you trust on these topics if not hard working guys who have guns but weren't cut out to be cops?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-10-26 12:04:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know about you guys but I get all my news from my barber and the security guards. I don't know where our guards get their news, but they always seem really well-informed with really well-formed opinions on immigration and fiscal policy.

And who can you trust on these topics if not hard working guys who have guns but weren't cut out to be cops?

There's an old dude in my town who's always walking around, dancing everywhere he goes. He seems like a reliable news source.
By Ramyrez 2016-10-26 12:13:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
There's an old dude in my town who's always walking around, dancing everywhere he goes. He seems like a reliable news source.

Well he clearly knows something you don't.

Give him that.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-10-26 12:13:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I get all my news from my barber

I see....so the damp towel is also steamy.
By eliroo 2016-10-26 12:35:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally get all my news from the crazy far-rights I work with on a daily basis.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-10-26 12:35:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Worst part of the election is what am I going to do with 10,000 Trump yard signs and bumper stickers after the election ?

I think I'm going to send them to NPR. They hate themselves enough to get a laugh out of it !
[+]
By fonewear 2016-10-26 12:37:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally get all my news from the crazy far-rights I work with on a daily basis.

Shh don't tell everyone we work at the same place...
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 34 35 36 ... 37 38 39