Hillary Clinton 2016 Presidential Thread

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Hillary Clinton 2016 Presidential Thread
Hillary Clinton 2016 Presidential Thread
First Page 2 3 ... 45 46 47 ... 71 72 73
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Terlet Sangria 2016-08-26 14:17:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
See, there are times when I can agree fully with KN. If we all stopped talking about politics this website might become a better place.

Oh sure, but I talk about blowing up P+R and people lose their minds
By Ramyrez 2016-08-26 14:18:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Meh, I never looked into suicide rates by profession.

I do know that a lot of people, kids especially, just can't handle life, so they check out early.

Well yeah.

2016 professions with highest suicide rates (lowest to highest):

10. Scientists (specifically, chemists)
9. Pharmacists
8. Farm Workers.
7. Electricians
6. Real Estate Agents
5. Police Officers
4. Lawyers
3. Financial Workers
2. Dentists.
1. Doctors

It is theorized that part of the reason suicide rates in doctors is higher is also because they're the most well-informed in how to quickly and painlessly kill themselves.
By eliroo 2016-08-26 14:19:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
eliroo said: »
Me telling him that it is wrong isn't harmful to others, nor will it effect others negatively correct?
It would have a negative effect on him(anyone who isn't you is others). It might instill in him an idea of guilt, causing him, in case of actually being gay, to grow with a lot of complexes that won't let him express his nature freely, thinking he needs to repress it or otherwise his father would reject him.

The actions parents have on children can have some serious weight later on.
Also, it can lead to stuff like suicide.
To be fair, most things can lead people into suicide.

It's the little things in life that builds up stress that causes people to finally snap.

Attacking someones identity is the surest road to suicide.

I promise you a parent telling their 7 year old that being gay isn't right isn't attacking their identity. They are still building one at the point.

Disowning your 17 year old son because he is gay will. Which is something I would never do and something I would adamantly speak up against.

I feel like we are going off topic, but I honestly agree with most of you here. I'm not going to condition my son, nor am I going to punish him for thinking gay thoughts as a little boy. I will just do what I can to ensure that he isn't influenced to be gay, without damaging him. Maybe because it is a moral argument for me, maybe because I think his life will be harder that way. There could be several reasons why I would do that.
By Ramyrez 2016-08-26 14:19:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »
(And nothing will excuse him from giving us grandkids so it doesn't matter anyway)

>:(
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-08-26 14:19:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »
Remember the episode of Criminal Minds where the unsub is a gay kid whose father forced him into a "Pray the Gay Away" program? Spoiler: it didn't end well for anyone.

You don't really need to reference fiction to showcase the harm those programs do.
Fiction can often be shaped by reality. But yeah.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2016-08-26 14:20:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Terlet Sangria said: »
See, there are times when I can agree fully with KN. If we all stopped talking about politics this website might become a better place.

I was cheering you on.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-26 14:20:41
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-08-26 14:20:43
Link | Quote | Reply

All of those jobs are pretty high stress which leads to little free time for an individual to destress. Not having time for yourself sounds like a good way to end up in substance abuse, depression and eventually suicidal tendencies.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-26 14:21:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I was cheering you on.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2016-08-26 14:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I was cheering you on.
No u.
By Ramyrez 2016-08-26 14:22:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I promise you a parent telling their 7 year old that being gay isn't right isn't attacking their identity. They are still building one at the point.

---
"Son, liking other boys romantically is wrong."

"Ok dad."

(untalked about for 17 years)

17 year old: "I'm a terrible person for what I feel."
---

It's called the "formative years" for a reason. To you it may be one offhanded comment. To a child it's the word of God (literally, if you believe, and figuratively in the sense that God is just a surrogate father figure anyhow, and you're the literal one.)

There's ***I was told is wrong when I was a child that I know full well isn't but I still have guilt issues about it because that's what indoctrination does.

It wasn't drilled into me, it was said maybe once or twice by respected adult figures and I took it as gospel, because I was a child and that's what children do.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-26 14:22:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I was cheering you on.
No u.
See above

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-08-26 14:23:16
Link | Quote | Reply

All of those jobs are pretty high stress which leads to little free time for an individual to destress. Not having time for yourself sounds like a good way to end up in substance abuse, depression and eventually suicidal tendencies.

Lawyers, police officers, and pharmacists top the substance abuse lists, last I checked, but that was a few years back.
 Sylph.Shipp
Server: Sylph
user: Shipp
By Sylph.Shipp 2016-08-26 14:23:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Buy him a beer and sit down and watch football.

Seriously though? He is too young at that point. I would tell him that she is his friend not his girlfriend".

Really though, that is a tough question.

He is too young for any sort of sexual decision in the grand scheme, I agree.

Just saying, though. At what point is he old enough to make his own decisions? I always liked girls. Always.

I remember stumbling upon a stash of my uncle's old Playboys when I was like 7-8. I really had little understanding or idea of what I was looking at, but I still remember liking what I was seeing.

So maybe he's not too young? Or maybe I should have been gay but was unduly influenced by adult material at too young an age?!

But really. I'm not saying you'd lobotomize your child. But I am saying that questions of sex are questions of sex regardless of orientation, and if the child is old enough to realize he has attractions, he's old enough that you shouldn't be trying to tell him he's wrong about them, barring they're not harmful to others (pedophilia, etc.)

Me telling him that it is wrong isn't harmful to others, nor will it effect others negatively correct?

Am I not allowed core values that I want to hold true within my family?

Truthfully.... I don't know what I would do in that situation because I don't have a kid. So I don't know what I would really do.

I have my values though and a clear definition of what I think is right and wrong by my standards. I will raise my kid to the best I can of those standards.

Him being gay won't make him not be my son and I'm not going to go out of my way to paint being gay as a bad picture. I would honestly do what I can to ensure that he isn't influenced to become gay, but if it happens it happens.

Outside of my personal values, I don't hold anyone else to that specific value.
I think you're just not coming across the correct way with your posts due to certain wording. You are free to raise your family however you want. Getting upset at your son if he comes to realize that he is gay at some point is a natural reaction, but also depends on the context. Trying to "sway him away from it" sounds a lot like, "making him do things he doesn't have an interest in to butch him up." All that's going to do is cause a rift in your personal relationship with him and a lot of resentment. I don't think that's really what you meant by it, from reading other posts.

It's like how you clarified that you didn't mean it's an actual conscious choice gay people make, but just due to a myriad of circumstances that have shaped their life. The word choice in some of your posts just comes off the wrong way.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-08-26 14:23:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Second, I believe that for most cases it is life influences that make a person Gay or not.
I remember watching Top Gun at a very impressionable age. Been chasing the D ever since.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-08-26 14:24:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Lawyers, police officers, and pharmacists top the substance abuse lists, last I checked, but that was a few years back.

And while we're at it, little surprise, police and lawyers topped the adultery lists too.

Gee, I wonder if there's any sort of connection or interplay between these topics.
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2016-08-26 14:25:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Dear Emperor Rooks,
Who cares, just do it! This isn't a republic. Monarch ftw!

~Sincerely, Everyone that dislikes P+R.
By Ramyrez 2016-08-26 14:25:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Second, I believe that for most cases it is life influences that make a person Gay or not.
I remember watching Top Gun at a very impressionable age. Been chasing the D ever since.

Huh.

Me too, but I just kinda always liked Val Kilmer and defended his terrible life choices instinctively. Even plugging for Apple.
By eliroo 2016-08-26 14:25:55
Link | Quote | Reply

---
"Son, liking other boys romantically is wrong."

"Ok dad."

(untalked about for 17 years)

17 year old: "I'm a terrible person for what I feel."
---

It's called the "formative years" for a reason. To you it may be one offhanded comment. To a child it's the word of God (literally, if you believe, and figuratively in the sense that God is just a surrogate father figure anyhow, and you're the literal one.)

There's ***I was told is wrong when I was a child that I know full well isn't but I still have guilt issues about it because that's what indoctrination does.

It wasn't drilled into me, it was said maybe once or twice by respected adult figures and I took it as gospel, because I was a child and that's what children do.

I think it depends on how else the child was raised, even if he feels it is wrong once he is 17, if he comes and talks to me about it the conversation will be totally different at that point.

This is all hypothetical though, I don't even have a child and my opinion could change by the time I do have one.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2016-08-26 14:26:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I once watched one of those videos of Japanese women licking door knobs. I kinda liked it.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-26 14:26:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Confirmed, Tom Cruise turns people gay

[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-08-26 14:26:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Chiaia said: »

Much like Taco Bell, if you don't like it, don't go.

But don't walk in and be all "this is awful."

NO ONE ASKED.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-08-26 14:26:50
Link | Quote | Reply

You're seeding your kid.

If they do one day grow up to feel attraction towards people of the same sex, you're completely *** them up inside. It's no different than seeding racist ideas, fears of pretty much anything or kids who become recluse because of abusive parents. Everything sticks. Kids watch every movement you make and retain it to scary degrees.

That kid will grow up always feel like you're disappointed. And you are, from what you've already said. So fixated on the 'easy' life as to miss that perhaps whatever life your kid chooses should be their own.

Maybe they don't want 'easy'.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-08-26 14:27:59
Link | Quote | Reply

When I was 7 I watched too much Sonic and now I'm *** up because of it. Seriously, look at the Sanic fanbase and tell me Sanic hasn't caused traumatic brain injuries.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-26 14:28:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I once watched one of those videos of Japanese women licking door knobs. I kinda liked it.
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2016-08-26 14:29:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Chiaia said: »

Dear Emperor Rooks,
Who cares, just do it! This isn't a republic. Monarch ftw!

[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By eliroo 2016-08-26 14:29:31
Link | Quote | Reply

You're seeding your kid.

If they do one day grow up to feel attraction towards people of the same sex, you're completely *** them up inside. It's no different than seeding racist ideas, fears of pretty much anything or kids who become recluse because of abusive parents. Everything sticks. Kids watch every movement you make and retain it to scary degrees.

That kid will grow up always feel like you're disappointed. And you are, from what you've already said. So fixated on the 'easy' life as to miss that perhaps whatever life your kid chooses should be their own.

Maybe they don't want 'easy'.

You guys make a lot of hasty generalizations. First off, of course you its seeding. You are going to tell your kid that stealing is wrong right? You are going to tell them that rape is wrong right? You yourself probably have some controversial ideas that you will bestow onto your child.

All that is fine.

Your kid won't grow up thinking you are constantly disappointed unless you treat them like that.

Pretty sure we can raise our kids however we want, as long as we aren't raising psychopaths and ***.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-08-26 14:29:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it depends on how else the child was raised, even if he feels it is wrong once he is 17, if he comes and talks to me about it the conversation will be totally different at that point.

This is all hypothetical though, I don't even have a child and my opinion could change by the time I do have one.

Barring what would be a newsworthy event in one way or another, I won't be having any either, so...yeah. It's all hypothetical to me too. But I know what it's like to grow up marginalized, if not a specific minority.

Hell, I'm positive for a few years before I started hanging out with my girlfriend (now wife) there were whispers that I might be gay because I wasn't in the jock or VoTech crowds, and I know two of my best friends (one who is now my brother-in-law) were rumored to be partners even though they weren't and both are, in fact, firmly (hurrhurr) hetero.
First Page 2 3 ... 45 46 47 ... 71 72 73