AGW Theory - Discussion
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 39 40 41
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2015-09-07 06:45:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
He's not grasping. There is nothing particularly unusual about needing to use specific programs to access the data (which can then export it into another format). If I wanted cancer data from SEER, I'd have to do the same thing.

I also fully expect at least some of the models to (and my brief glimpse over them appears to confirm this) have spatial components, which wouldn't really function in an Excel environment.

The raw datasets are usually in csv or other exportable text format. This is because you don't know which environment it will be worked on. The "adjusted" datasets tend to be in the specific application format that it is going to be used in. Whenever I run into that problem I just email some friends of mine and they can usually help me out by getting it converted back into csv or whatever.

Then we have the models themselves which is where things get really scary. Whenever you ask for the code, to double check the results, they refuse to hand it over and respond with "just trust us". When you get a FOIA request for that model, suddenly it and the data associated with it, "were lost in an unrecoverable computer crash". This is what happened to AR4 from the IPCC report and also the big thing behind the climate emails. You had a FOIA request in for the AR4 material and emails from Dr Mann about how to avoid having to fulfill it with someone suggesting it would be great if it was "lost".

Of course to the AGW supports on this forum, those emails never existed.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-09-08 09:50:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Why do we need to check their work? They've only been consistently wrong for over 30 years.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-08 09:51:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Why do we need to check their work?
It's called integrity. Something that they lack.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-09-08 14:20:13
Link | Quote | Reply

How's that data work-up coming guys?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-09-09 10:15:28
Link | Quote | Reply

ABC news report from 2008 touted scientific predictions of an underwater NYC by 2015.

Keep towing that line Pleebo. Surely don't ever let decades of false predictions discourage you.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-09 11:15:04
Link | Quote | Reply

ABC news report from 2008 touted scientific predictions of an underwater NYC by 2015.

Keep towing that line Pleebo. Surely don't ever let decades of false predictions discourage you.

Okay, I know the context behind this, but I still find it somewhat funny.

Quote:
The Arctic ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot, according to a report to the Commerce Department yesterday from Consulafft, at Bergen, Norway.

Reports from fishermen, seal hunters and explorers all point to a radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone. Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes. Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the gulf stream still very warm. Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, the report continued, while at many points well known glaciers have entirely disappeared.

Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vast shoals of herring and smelts which have never before ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds.

- The Washington Post... in 1922.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-09-09 11:38:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Just wait until ~15 years from now when the Earth enters its cooling period. Fun times to be had by all.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-09-09 12:11:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Just wait 15 years till people born in 2012 will be adults.

Crazy!
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-09-09 12:30:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Never heard of Earth 2100 but
Quote:
According to Executive Producer Michael Bicks, "this program was developed to show the worst-case scenario for human civilization. Again, we are not saying that these events will happen — rather, that if we fail to seriously address the complex problems of climate change, resource depletion and overpopulation, they are much more likely to happen."
Stupid approach and another example of media sensationalism to add to the pile. I apologize on behalf of the world's utmost authority on climate change science, ABC News.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-09-09 12:48:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Just wait 15 years till people born in 2012 will be adults.

Crazy!
Now that's the scariest thought yet!
[+]
By fonewear 2015-09-09 14:06:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ben and Jerry are releasing a global warming ice cream...
[+]
By fonewear 2015-09-09 14:08:39
Link | Quote | Reply

What better way to deal with the impending doom by eating overpriced hippie ice cream.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-09-09 14:09:34
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Ben and Jerry are releasing a global warming ice cream...

LoL!
[+]
By fonewear 2015-09-09 14:11:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going ask a woman if she will get fake *** to end global warming
[+]
By fonewear 2015-09-09 14:12:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I bet the carbon footprint to make that ice cream is lost on the people buying it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-09 14:14:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I bet the carbon footprint to make that ice cream is lost on the people buying it.

I'll make sure to drive my SUV to a store on the other side of town just to buy it.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-09-09 21:33:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Its ok to make whatever carbon footprint you need to to promote the cause.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-09-09 22:04:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Just wait until ~15 years from now when the Earth enters its cooling period. Fun times to be had by all.

Didn't you get the memo, it's "Global Climate Disruption" now. "Climate Change" didn't impart the needed sense of urgency and "Global Warming" only focused on temperatures. Gotta hedge our bets and all.

It's like I've said for awhile, it's a giant *** game with a "heads I win, tails you lose" scorecard.

Temperature raises - Global Warming
Temperature declines - Global Warming
Temperature doesn't move - Global Warming
More people die - Global Warming
More people survive - Global Warming
The Dodgers win the playoffs - Global Warming

A dog could take a piss on the street and there would be someone to claim that "Humans burning fossil fuels caused it".
By fonewear 2015-09-09 22:08:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »

Yeah because being an environmentally conscious people who actually care about the future of the only home they have. Means we are just going to go live like Hobbits.

I wish global warming would destroy the Earth right now so we could eliminate it as a debate !
By fonewear 2015-09-09 22:10:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Since when is selling ice cream doing anything to save the planet though... It's a novel way of marketing. People like to buy ***when the thing they are making a "difference"

Post deleted by User.
By fonewear 2015-09-09 22:15:49
Link | Quote | Reply

What exactly do you plan to do to stop global warming ? Buy ice cream ? Install a solar panel ? I mean when you figure out how to stop it from destroying the Earth I'll be sure to write it down somewhere.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-09 23:10:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh, I'd rather buy ice cream that isn't ripping me off for the sake of a guilt trip, but that's just me.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-09 23:14:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Eh, I'd rather buy ice cream that isn't ripping me off for the sake of a guilt trip, but that's just me.

To be fair, Ben and Jerry's was ripping people off long before making a statement about climate change.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-09 23:18:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »

To be fair, Ben and Jerry's was ripping people off long before making a statement about climate change.

Agreed, but watch yourself Jassik. You don't want your next post (10,000) to be something lame.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-09 23:22:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Something lame
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 39 40 41