Need Some Advice: Thinning Hair.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Need some advice: thinning hair.
Need some advice: thinning hair.
By Ramyrez 2015-05-07 14:17:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Just don't run the risk of becoming this guy.

Balding is okay.

Dealing with it this way isn't.

[+]
 Bahamut.Nixak
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Nixak
By Bahamut.Nixak 2015-05-07 14:37:52
Link | Quote | Reply

If I would look like this I would shave my head right now.
But I know that I would look like this.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-07 15:06:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Accept your baldness like these guys have, see how silly they'd look with hair

Sure, that's easy for a bear to say. But what if instead of this:

You looked more like this?:
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-05-07 22:37:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't judge a bear by its fur
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-05-07 23:04:36
Link | Quote | Reply

For the beard debate

Quote:

Contrary to what you have seen in the media, beards do not harbor more poo than a toilet. The story, which originated from the TV news network ‘KOAT’ in New Mexico, has gone viral even though it has little scientific merit.

As Nick Evershed from the Guardian points out, the story wasn’t based on a scientific study. The investigation instead consisted of a reporter taking swabs of a small number of men’s beards and then sending those samples to a microbiologist to analyze. The microbiologist John Golobic identified ‘enteric’ bacteria, which normally reside in the intestines. He told the presenter that these bacteria are usually found in feces, but bacteria associated with feces is not necessarily feces—an important distinction that many people seem to have ignored.

Enteric bacteria are in the family Enterobacteriaceae and are often harmless, though some can cause disease. You, however, do not need to worry about these bacteria because they are everywhere. Phillip M. Tierno, a microbiologist at New York University, told New York Magazine that “we, as a society, are literally bathed in feces." From the keyboard on your desk to the bag you carry around, fecal bacteria can be found in a number of places and they are not a cause for concern.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-05-08 11:35:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Leviathan.Vienne said: »
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Leviathan.Vienne said: »
yesterday in my newspaper...

Your newspapers also said the third reich would last a thousand years... so I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock into what they said Jerry...

You should buy glasses, the flag next to my name is the Belgian flag not the German.
Also you're insulting every German person on here with that kind of attitude.

You may be taking Nik a bit too seriously. His entire purpose in life is to be a cranky old man.

No, I tried the buying glasses suggestion...

but I was still an *** after I put them on... I also didn't get an smarter... /demands a refund
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-05-08 12:16:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Wear a hat.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-08 12:41:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Wear a hat.

All this talk of hats lately and no thread to accompany it.
By Ramyrez 2015-05-08 12:52:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Wear a hat.

All this talk of hats lately and no thread to accompany it.

Hats are better left as an accessory, not the main article.

I mean, really. Unless you want to run around with nought but your hat covering your man tackle.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-08 12:58:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless you want to run around with nought but your hat covering your man tackle.

I fail to see a problem with this.
By Ramyrez 2015-05-08 13:20:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Unless you want to run around with nought but your hat covering your man tackle.

I fail to see a problem with this.

Hats are not as fun worn penisally. (New word? If so I'm claiming credit and expect royalties.)
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-05-08 13:35:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Shaved + beard + hat = badass

[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-05-08 13:40:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Double post, but let's not let it go to waste! Classy as *** in a hat, go.

[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-05-08 13:42:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »

"Sickly with cancer"* or "drug dealer" don't really come across as "badass" to me.

*I mean, fighting cancer and not letting it rule you is a badass thing. But I'm just saying. The image isn't always a pretty one.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-05-08 13:47:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »

"Sickly with cancer"* or "drug dealer" don't really come across as "badass" to me.

*I mean, fighting cancer and not letting it rule you is a badass thing. But I'm just saying. The image isn't always a pretty one.

(Now i have a feeling that this thread will turn into one similar to that about Toys R Us selling WW figures!)
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [172 days between previous and next post]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-27 06:38:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Why I bump this topic you ask, well it appears we're very close to a definite cure for baldness.

Research

It works on mice(hair grew back in only 10 days!), which are quite similar to us, and it also worked with human hair in vitro, so there's very strong basis to suggest that this might effectively work on live humans too.

So baldies rejoice! Just a few more years and you'll get your cure.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-10-27 07:04:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I've not yet experienced hair loss but I suppose a part of me has worried about it, especially considering some form of hair loss seems inevitable for men.

My precious locks.
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2015-10-27 07:06:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
As the title suggests, my hair has been thinning for the past 2 years (I'm 21 now, if that means anything). I'm not bald, or particularly close to it, but there are some patches on my head that're quite thin, to the point where it's starting to get concerning. Looking for some advice for anyone who has been through a similar experience.

I tried looking around, and frankly there is so much suggesting so many different things it's hard to know what treatments actually work. So I would like ask from anyone who have been having similar issues, or anyone who knows anything particular, what treatments are available that can actually help?

Advice: don't worry about it - its natural.
If you choose to ignore above advice then:
Try to seek out a natural alternative method.

Remember it matters what's on the inside that counts and we all age and the body dies but the soul / spirit does not. See you next time around! :3

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2015-10-27 08:24:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Theres nothing wrong with being bald. Look at me! A skeleton. Never had hair in my life!

tbh, i've lived with a bold guy my whole life. bold people are cool.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2015-10-27 08:36:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
As the title suggests, my hair has been thinning for the past 2 years (I'm 21 now, if that means anything). I'm not bald, or particularly close to it, but there are some patches on my head that're quite thin, to the point where it's starting to get concerning. Looking for some advice for anyone who has been through a similar experience.

I tried looking around, and frankly there is so much suggesting so many different things it's hard to know what treatments actually work. So I would like ask from anyone who have been having similar issues, or anyone who knows anything particular, what treatments are available that can actually help?
As someone already suggested you, Finasteride and Minoxidyl are the only things that *really* work (especially if used in conjuction, and especially Finasteride. Minoxidyl alone can't do miracles) if we're talking about androgenetic alopecia, which is the correct medical form for the genetic loss of hair that many males experience as they grow up.
For other forms of hair loss, there's a plethora of cosmetic and effective solutions, but if you fall under the androgenetic alopecia category, nothing else (at this moment in time) will ever work other than finasteride (and Minoxidyl).
You can google Finasteride (Propecia) around and understand what is the medical process behind it and how it works.

tl;dr
Doctors where experimenting meds against prostate cancer on subjects of various age.
They started noticed that people using these experimental meds were growing hair back*, they explored further and exposed a relation between testosterone and certain processes within the body, found out that such process was at the source of androgenetic alopecia, and found out that Finasteride basically stops that process temporarily, for as long as you take those pills on a daily basis.

It doesn't do miracles.
Once the hair loss has happened on a hair follicle, it does permanently after a certain time has passed.
Which is exactely why it's important to start taking Finasteride as soon as possible. If too much time has passed, the med won't be able to reactivate hair follicles which are completely dead.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-10-27 08:38:33
Link | Quote | Reply

On a side note:
Please do not order Finasteride on your own, let a dermatologyst check on you at least initially, and at least once a year ocne you start this process.

There are countereffects from the use of Finasteride, they are unclear and they GREATLY CHANGE from person to person.
Mostly it tends to build up fat on the lower part of your belly, and it gives you a lower sexual desire.

Once again: there are no solid studies about it (yet) and many things are alas still unknown. Effects vary from individual to individual. Some reported big differences, others reported hardly noticeable ones.

From personal experience I suggest to take small breaks (1 month) at least ocne a year if not even twice.
By Ramyrez 2015-10-27 08:44:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I maintain my suggestion to simply own it.

Either let what happens happen or shave that sucker down and go chrome dome.

Plenty of girls dig the bald look, especially if you can rock a badass beard with it.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-10-27 08:57:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with that Ramyrez but not all people look good shaved.
Kinda also depends on the shape of your skull, your face, your ears, wether or not you have dermatofibromas in the zones of your head that you have to shave, etc.

In the end he might have to give up and stop using finasteride... but doing that when you're 30 years old or later is different than doing it at 21.
By the time he decides to stop, new medicines could be out, even more efficient (and permanent!) than finasteride.

Is kinda a choice. If someone doesn't care that much I wholehartedly endorse your suggestion, but if someone really CARES about it (and Kenrusai appearently cares a lot, given how he opened a topic about it and given how he's been talking about this topic for quite a long time over the last year on FFXIAH) then he should at least know that there is a temporary solution he can make use of.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-10-27 09:03:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Shadowlina said: »
Theres nothing wrong with being bald. Look at me! A skeleton. Never had hair in my life!

tbh, i've lived with a bold guy my whole life. bold people are cool.
Get dunked on.
By Ramyrez 2015-10-27 09:08:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
I agree with that Ramyrez but not all people look good shaved.
Kinda also depends on the shape of your skull, your face, your ears, wether or not you have dermatofibromas in the zones of your head that you have to shave, etc.

In the end he might have to give up and stop using finasteride... but doing that when you're 30 years old or later is different than doing it at 21.
By the time he decides to stop, new medicines could be out, even more efficient (and permanent!) than finasteride.

Is kinda a choice. If someone doesn't care that much I wholehartedly endorse your suggestion, but if someone really CARES about it (and Kenrusai appearently cares a lot, given how he opened a topic about it and given how he's been talking about this topic for quite a long time over the last year on FFXIAH) then he should at least know that there is a temporary solution he can make use of.

Fair enough.

Thing is, I feel like it's just a stupid societal pressure that pushes this on people. "Having less hair makes you less of a man!"

Meanwhile, evolution sort of dictates that the longer we go, the less we need hair at all, and it's going to keep going away.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-27 09:16:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
there are no solid studies about it (yet)
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Why I bump this topic you ask, well it appears we're very close to a definite cure for baldness.

Research

It works on mice(hair grew back in only 10 days!), which are quite similar to us, and it also worked with human hair in vitro, so there's very strong basis to suggest that this might effectively work on live humans too.

So baldies rejoice! Just a few more years and you'll get your cure.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-10-27 09:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Thing is, I feel like it's just a stupid societal pressure that pushes this on people. "Having less hair makes you less of a man!"
I hate social pressure and I agree for some people it's exactely like you said.
Not sure where Kenrusai falls (social pressure or not?) but I can tell you that not ALL people are like that.

Take me, I stopped finasteride long ago and "accepted" my problem. I only shave on the sides since I still have hair behind and in the middle, but I might eventually have to shave completely in the end.
Granted that that will be a problem because I have a couple of dermatofibromas and you can't really shave with a razor when you have those, need to have them removed surgically first.
But I digressed, what I wanted to say is that for me... well, I couldn't care less about social rules, manlyness of what others thought of me. I am subject to thoughts like these for other things of course (I'm a human being after all, not a machine), just not about my hair.
For me it was just a purely personal and aesthetical thing. I wanted to "wear" my hair in certain ways, and I was unable to.
I liked to see myself with hair in a certain way.
I couldn't honestly care less about manlyness of social pressure about that specific thing.

@Sehachan
I'm skeptic it will work for people like me or people who've been balding up for too long =/ but I'd be veeeeeeeery happy if that were ever to become true in a few years. Being able to finally get some specific haircuts I really love and can't get anymore atm would be so incredibly good! :D
Keeping my fingers crossed...
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-27 09:41:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see any social pressure into this topic. It's a matter of how you like yourself, which heavily influence your self confidence. People in general are very insecure when they see themselves not in the way they'd like to look, but it's a self reflecting problem, there's no social issue. If there's one thing where a standard does not exist that is haircuts.