Need Some Advice: Thinning Hair.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Need some advice: thinning hair.
Need some advice: thinning hair.
 Cerberus.Kaeviathan
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Kaeviathan 2015-05-07 10:26:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Embrace it.

Also, the more you shampoo and condition your hair, the faster the balding process accelerates (brushing as well).
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-05-07 10:27:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Vienne said: »
yesterday in my newspaper...

Your newspapers also said the third reich would last a thousand years... so I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock into what they said Jerry...
 Asura.Shiraiyuki
Server: Asura
user: Shirai
By Asura.Shiraiyuki 2015-05-07 10:33:15
Link | Quote | Reply

yesterday in my newspaper....beards have more fecal bacteria then a dirty toiletseat apparently. Never do i let a beard come near me ever again, you dirty hipsters!
And todaay's scientific press debunked this straight away.
There's still that thing called personal hygiene.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2015-05-07 10:35:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Rogaine.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-05-07 10:35:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I can see the thing about beards being true as there are probably people who don't treat beards the same as hair, aka never shampoo it so it just gets tangled and filthy.
By Ramyrez 2015-05-07 10:36:06
Link | Quote | Reply

And no beards arent ok, yesterday in my newspaper....beards have more fecal bacteria then a dirty toiletseat apparently. Never do i let a beard come near me ever again, you dirty hipsters!

There is absolutely no physical way this could happen unless you're dining on fecal matter or otherwise just so filthy that no one wants to be near you anyhow, or, well...doing things we're not allowed to talk about anymore.

Thanks for being prudes, Google.
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-05-07 10:54:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Hotkarl said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
As the title suggests, my hair has been thinning for the past 2 years (I'm 21 now, if that means anything). I'm not bald, or particularly close to it, but there are some patches on my head that're quite thin, to the point where it's starting to get concerning. Looking for some advice for anyone who has been through a similar experience.

I tried looking around, and frankly there is so much suggesting so many different things it's hard to know what treatments actually work. So I would like ask from anyone who have been having similar issues, or anyone who knows anything particular, what treatments are available that can actually help?
The only way to fight thinning hair is to grow a badass beard, so when you finally hit the point of shaving head you don't look like a dork.
Grow a beard and do this...
[+]
 Leviathan.Vienne
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Vienne 2015-05-07 11:08:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Shiraiyuki said: »
And todaay's scientific press debunked this straight away.
There's still that thing called personal hygiene.

Most people have horrible personal hygiene. I work in a more then decent restaurant where people can dry their hands with my fresh towels. I always have a huge stack next to the sink and at the end of an average shift only 5 get used on 20 people who average go to the toilet twice during their visit (yes people dine or lunch here for an average of 2 to 3 hours and have wine...hence they pee a bit more then in mcdonalds) So yes alot of people dont wash hands but agreed beardless none handwashing people are equally yuck as those who have beards.
 Leviathan.Vienne
By Leviathan.Vienne 2015-05-07 11:13:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

Your newspapers also said the third reich would last a thousand years... so I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock into what they said Jerry...

You should buy glasses, the flag next to my name is the Belgian flag not the German.
Also you're insulting every German person on here with that kind of attitude.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bongarippa
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Bongarippa 2015-05-07 11:36:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Shave the rest of it off, grow a badass beard, ???, profit. ezpz
By Ramyrez 2015-05-07 11:45:57
Link | Quote | Reply

You should buy glasses, the flag next to my name is the Belgian flag not the German.
Also you're insulting every German person on here with that kind of attitude.

You may be taking Nik a bit too seriously. His entire purpose in life is to be a cranky old man.
[+]
 Leviathan.Behemothx
user: BehemothZ
By Leviathan.Behemothx 2015-05-07 12:10:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I started thinning around 35 and shaved it all immediately, never really affected my self esteem or anything. Besides, nothing beats waking up in the morning and not having to deal with fixing your hair :)
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-05-07 12:21:17
Link | Quote | Reply

the belgian papers probably read the same way. if they knew what was good for them.
By Ramyrez 2015-05-07 12:23:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
the belgian papers probably read the same way. if they knew what was good for them.

What's good for Belgians is waffles, beer, and chocolate.

Maybe all three in one, if you're handy in the kitchen.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-05-07 12:26:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Minoxidil is a cheap fix. Maybe 10 bucks a month for the rest of your life if you shop for it. It's an annoyance throwing that goo up there twice a day but it does work. Also, If you want to do something about it, start now. Once it's gone, it's pretty hard to get it back. I would advise against finasteride/duasteride, in the rare chance your body doesn't mesh well with their mechanism, the side effects could be pretty bad and evidence is growing that they could extend far the timeframe of discontinuance.

They say here close to the "cure", but I've heard that for the last 15 years at this point. It sounds like it bothers you, the worst thing you can do is wait.
[+]
 Phoenix.Urteil
Server: Phoenix
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2015-05-07 12:29:46
Link | Quote | Reply

OP: If you really are italian as the flag next to your name suggests, then just shave some hair off your back and glue it to your head... If you somehow run out of back hair...then just shave your ***.

Edit:
<~could knit a *** turtle neck sweater for a grizzly bear

This mother *** needs to write a book. If you took all his posts and put them into some kind of collection with some base context I guarantee it would sell.
 Phoenix.Urteil
Server: Phoenix
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2015-05-07 12:34:02
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want hair back do Bosley, only way tbh.
 Asura.Reichleiu
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2015-05-07 13:33:18
Link | Quote | Reply

To the OP

I started to notice my hair thinning around your age too. I had expected this to happen to me for some time as the men on my mothers side of the family are all bald and lost their hair quite young. Uncle at 18 and Grandfather at 30.

I'm not 26 and while my hair is very thin, it is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

I looked into a ton of different things and even tried Rogaine for a while. Rogaine seemed like it was stopping or slowing my hair loss (not regrowing).. but.. it had some odd side effects. I began growing dark hair at the top of my cheeks just below my eyes. Needless to say, I stopped using it.

Propecia is a product that a lot of people swear by, but I read too many horror stories of impotence and low sex drive to even consider it.

In the end I decided to just live with it.. I shave off all of my hair in the summer time and I keep it short in the winter. I always had facial hair so I just keep it a little longer than I used to.

This is not something that is uncommon, most men lose their hair or have it thin at some point. I know plenty of people around my age that are going or have gone through the same thing.

Biggest thing.. don't stress about it. Figure out what works for you because eventually you aren't going to want to use Rogaine or Propecia anymore.

Please don't look into Bosley either.. its a joke. (an expensive one)
 Asura.Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2015-05-07 13:34:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Behemothx said: »
I started thinning around 35 and shaved it all immediately, never really affected my self esteem or anything. Besides, nothing beats waking up in the morning and not having to deal with fixing your hair :)

We save money on haircuts too. Nothing better than needing a haircut and budgeting 5 minutes out of your day to shave it before going off to the beach during the summer...
[+]
 Asura.Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2015-05-07 13:36:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tidis said: »
I can see the thing about beards being true as there are probably people who don't treat beards the same as hair, aka never shampoo it so it just gets tangled and filthy.

Sometimes you want your beard a little greasy.. its easier to style!

Triple post FTW!
By Ramyrez 2015-05-07 13:40:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Reichleiu said: »

Triple post FTW!

That's why they make beard oils and beard balms.

Wash that bad boy and then treat it right. Don't just let your face rug get nasty. Treat it with pride!
[+]
 Asura.Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2015-05-07 13:46:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

Triple post FTW!

That's why they make beard oils and beard balms.

Wash that bad boy and then treat it right. Don't just let your face rug get nasty. Treat it with pride!

I was it the same way everyone should wash their hair.. every other day.

I condition it and everything.

But some days.. its so glorious when its greasy.

I also have the habit of stroking it all day long, so that helps make it nice and oily!!!
By Ramyrez 2015-05-07 13:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Well yeah. Most people tend to wash their hair too frequently. Sadly for me I become a sweaty mess every day because I'm either at the gym or doing work around the house in the evenings and either way I'm getting gross, so I tend to wash things more frequently. Sometimes twice a day.

But if for some reason I have an activity light day I'll keep it light. You'll do more damage than not constantly washing everything with soap/shampoo/etc.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-05-07 13:51:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Transplantation isn't a joke, but costs vary pretty heavily from place to place. Not really sure what (if any) added value there is.

Well yeah. Most people tend to wash their hair too frequently. Sadly for me I become a sweaty mess every day because I'm either at the gym or doing work around the house in the evenings and either way I'm getting gross, so I tend to wash things more frequently. Sometimes twice a day.

But if for some reason I have an activity light day I'll keep it light. You'll do more damage than not constantly washing everything with soap/shampoo/etc.

Just so we're clear for the OP, "over washing" doesn't make your hair fall out.
 Asura.Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2015-05-07 13:55:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

Transplantation isn't a joke, but costs vary pretty heavily from place to place. Not really sure what (if any) added value there is.

Transplants aren't a joke.. what Bosley will sell you that you can actually afford unless you make millions of dollars, is.

The results are complete ***.. they basically glue hair onto your head, its not actual transplants.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-05-07 13:59:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Transplants aren't a joke.. what Bosley will sell you that you can actually afford unless you make millions of dollars, is.

The results are complete ***.. they basically glue hair onto your head, its not actual transplants.

Yeah I met with one of their sales guys, I left him with a few questions to which he did not follow up with. They wanted twice as much as some others.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-05-07 14:07:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the replies, guys.
By Ramyrez 2015-05-07 14:11:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, yeah. Sorry if I was giving that implication.

It will dry out and damage your currently-grown hair, but it won't actually have any effect one way or another on your ability to grow hair.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-05-07 14:14:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, yeah. Sorry if I was giving that implication.

It will dry out and damage your currently-grown hair, but it won't actually have any effect one way or another on your ability to grow hair.

It will also make already thinning hair look less think / more fine.
 Asura.Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2015-05-07 14:14:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I met with one of their sales guys, I left him with a few questions to which he did not follow up with. They wanted twice as much as some others.

Ya, it seems that if you can spend enough money to put a few kids through college (like celebrities do), than they can't do any good work for you. Its pretty awful :/

If I could have my long hair again I would.

If I could go back in time I would convince my younger self to never cut his damn hair!!!!