Need Some Advice: Thinning Hair.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Need some advice: thinning hair.
Need some advice: thinning hair.
First Page 2 3 4
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-05-07 01:04:28
Link | Quote | Reply

As the title suggests, my hair has been thinning for the past 2 years (I'm 21 now, if that means anything). I'm not bald, or particularly close to it, but there are some patches on my head that're quite thin, to the point where it's starting to get concerning. Looking for some advice for anyone who has been through a similar experience.

I tried looking around, and frankly there is so much suggesting so many different things it's hard to know what treatments actually work. So I would like ask from anyone who have been having similar issues, or anyone who knows anything particular, what treatments are available that can actually help?
 Ragnarok.Kongming
Server: Ragnarok
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2015-05-07 01:13:36
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a great deal of evidence to suggest finasteride and minoxidil work. They don't work for everyone, but they work for more men than not. They might not reverse what has been done, but chances are they can stop it from getting worse. The rest, I would take with a grain of salt. There are a lot of people out there looking to sell you something.

You will probably need a prescription for finasteride, I recommend seeing a dermatologist.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-05-07 01:16:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Kongming said: »
There's a great deal of evidence to suggest finasteride and minoxidil work. They don't work for everyone, but they work for more men than not. They might not reverse what has been done, but chances are they can stop it from getting worse. The rest, I would take with a grain of salt. There are a lot of people out there looking to sell you something.

You will probably need a prescription for finasteride, I recommend seeing a dermatologist.

I see, thanks. I'll look into finasteride and minoxidil.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-05-07 01:44:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Be aware that, because of the way Minoxidil works, if you stop using it, you'll lose all the regrowth.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-05-07 02:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
Be aware that, because of the way Minoxidil works, if you stop using it, you'll lose all the regrowth.

Oh really? hmmm..that doesn't sound very good
 Asura.Shiraiyuki
Server: Asura
user: Shirai
By Asura.Shiraiyuki 2015-05-07 02:57:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I have long accepted the fact that my own hair is thinning, then again I am half way my 30's now myself.
I just keep my hair very short these days and sometimes I just shave it all off.

As mentioned above, there are some things that help, but in my eyes they just slow down the inevitable.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-05-07 03:07:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
Ragnarok.Zeig said: »

Oh really? hmmm..that doesn't sound very good

It's not a side effect of the drug per se. It's just due to the way Minoxidil works (mainly slows down hair loss, might stimulate some regrowth).

Since you're young, I understand how concerning it can be. I'd go to a dermatologist and discuss my options with them if I were you. The cost of starting off on Minoxidil at 21 will add up in the long run (reminds of me of the MMO subs we pay!).
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2015-05-07 04:47:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Finasteride does miracles. If you don't know the whole story here's a short summary.
They were experimenting meds for prostate cancer.
They found out that surprisingly people who were taking this med were experiencing an increase in hair growth.
They then continued their research and found out that the main cause of genetic/inherited hair loss (Calvizia androgenetica, in italian) is because of a chemical reaction between prostate, testosterone and something else. I'll leave the details aside but basically this production of substances gradually kills all the Hair follicles.

Finasteride ("Propecia") is a med born for prostate cancer but has the effect of stopping this chemical reaction, "reactivating" the dying hair follicle, but only if it hasn't died for too long.
If it has been dead for too much time already, there's nothing you can do (which is exactely why they suggest sto start early with Finasteride)

Minoxidil works in a different way, but it's very often used in combination with Finasteride.

Now where's the problem with this med?
There are several
1) If you stop with it, the chemical reaction will start again and you'll slowly be back where you were before
2) Because of the testosterone thing etc, in many man it produces a libido loss. Not all patients been treated with Finasteride experience this, and among those who do not all see the same strength in this effect, but still you need to know about it. Given how you're only 21 probably it wouldn't affect you at all
3) It tends to make you grow up a bit of fat in your abdomen

Some practical notes now, about Italy
1) The med sold for hair loss is usually "Propecia", with 1mg pills. It's very expensive. Because of that usually your personal doctor can make you get the generic "Finasteride" med. Same exact med tbf. Finasteride has 4mg pills though, so you'll have to use a thing to "break" those pills in 4 parts. Finasteride is much cheaper and every box has a much higher number of pills
2) You can take small breaks of a few weeks/months every year or two. It's actually suggested. (for Finastride, I mean). Don't make them too long though or you'll lose all the results.
3) Regardless of your decision, I warmly suggest you to see a dermatologyst

I've been treated with Finasteride (and Minoxidil) for several years and I could definitely see the results.
I stopped because it was becoming too stressing, I was getting annoyed at the fat in my abdomen and because I started having some libido issues myself.
I kinda accepted my baldness, as much as it still pains me but... nothing else I could do and I didn't want to keep going with Finasteride/Minox, which I used for at least 8 years I think if not more. It really does work.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-05-07 05:07:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Finasteride does miracles. If you don't know the whole story here's a short summary.
They were experimenting meds for prostate cancer.
They found out that surprisingly people who were taking this med were experiencing an increase in hair growth.
They then continued their research and found out that the main cause of genetic/inherited hair loss (Calvizia androgenetica, in italian) is because of a chemical reaction between prostate, testosterone and something else. I'll leave the details aside but basically this production of substances gradually kills all the Hair follicles.

Finasteride ("Propecia") is a med born for prostate cancer but has the effect of stopping this chemical reaction, "reactivating" the dying hair follicle, but only if it hasn't died for too long.
If it has been dead for too much time already, there's nothing you can do (which is exactely why they suggest sto start early with Finasteride)

Minoxidil works in a different way, but it's very often used in combination with Finasteride.

Now where's the problem with this med?
There are several
1) If you stop with it, the chemical reaction will start again and you'll slowly be back where you were before
2) Because of the testosterone thing etc, in many man it produces a libido loss. Not all patients been treated with Finasteride experience this, and among those who do not all see the same strength in this effect, but still you need to know about it. Given how you're only 21 probably it wouldn't affect you at all
3) It tends to make you grow up a bit of fat in your abdomen

Some practical notes now, about Italy
1) The med sold for hair loss is usually "Propecia", with 1mg pills. It's very expensive. Because of that usually your personal doctor can make you get the generic "Finasteride" med. Same exact med tbf. Finasteride has 4mg pills though, so you'll have to use a thing to "break" those pills in 4 parts. Finasteride is much cheaper and every box has a much higher number of pills
2) You can take small breaks of a few weeks/months every year or two. It's actually suggested. (for Finastride, I mean). Don't make them too long though or you'll lose all the results.
3) Regardless of your decision, I warmly suggest you to see a dermatologyst

I've been treated with Finasteride (and Minoxidil) for several years and I could definitely see the results.
I stopped because it was becoming too stressing, I was getting annoyed at the fat in my abdomen and because I started having some libido issues myself.
I kinda accepted my baldness, as much as it still pains me but... nothing else I could do and I didn't want to keep going with Finasteride/Minox, which I used for at least 8 years I think if not more. It really does work.

Ah...well, thanks for the insight. Not bragging here in anyway shape or form, but I have a six pack I'm not willing to lose; I'd rather just go bold.

I've read something about hair transplants? From what this person was saying, possibly bs, but very basically, they pull hair from the healthy areas of your head, and place them into the thinning areas? Assuming this is actually real, anyone know the cost of the procedure? Currently living in the UK.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-05-07 05:12:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Accept your baldness like these guys have, see how silly they'd look with hair

[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-05-07 05:15:58
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Asura.Ackeronll
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2015-05-07 05:25:19
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-05-07 07:00:12
Link | Quote | Reply

From what quick research I did, the price seems to vary depending on the amount of grafts you have, this site seemed like a pretty useful indicator.

http://www.ziering.co.uk/hair-transplant-prices/
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-05-07 07:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Grab your sack and accept the inevitable.

If a product works for you to regrow then great, just don't go for the combovers or trying to cover it up. Many, many polls have said women prefer men that embrace whatever comes their way more than men who try to cover it up by changing to comb-overs or toupes or other weird tactics.
[+]
 Phoenix.Scarve
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Scarve 2015-05-07 07:57:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I started going bald when I was in my senior year in high school. This was 15 years ago. It was very devastating on my self-esteem when my classmates would come up and remind me they could see my scalp. I had a comb over when I was 20, just so I could pretend it wasn't happening and eventually it was going to grow back. I began wearing a hat to cover it up, only to be told the reason I was going bald was because I was wearing a hat. It was pretty damn awful, so I can certainly sympathize with what you're going through.

However, I now realize all of the perks that come with being bald. Think of all the money you'll be saving, not having to buy bottles of shampoo, conditioner. Not spending money on haircuts. Being damn sexy. My advice is to shave your hair off now, and see yourself in the mirror bald. If you like what you see, then you're done! If not, give it time, it's just not worth the struggle and money invested.
[+]
 Bismarck.Marmite
Server: Bismarck
user: innit
By Bismarck.Marmite 2015-05-07 08:00:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I have Alopecia Areata, which in essence causes bald patches all over my body, most noticeably on my head and face (including eye brows and lashes). For years I tried to grow my hair longer to cover it up, which didn't really work and ended up just making me look strange (bit like a comb over type thing). In the end, after much persuasion, I shaved it off, and haven't looked back since. I actually felt liberated once I took the step!

Like many have mentioned above, there are many great meds/creams on the market with some that really work well. However, if you stop taking/applying them, you will be back to square one very quickly.

Another option is hair transplant, but it can be very expensive and probably fairly painful. It's also a time limited procedure, because it takes hair from where it is dense and applies it to where it's thin.

My advice would be to shave it off/very short and see how you get on.

Good luck!
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-05-07 08:00:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Scarve said: »
However, I now realize all of the perks that come with being bald. Think of all the money you'll be saving, not having to buy bottles of shampoo, conditioner. Not spending money on haircuts. Being damn sexy. My advice is to shave your hair off now, and see yourself in the mirror bald. If you like what you see, then you're done! If not, give it time, it's just not worth the struggle and money invested.

Basically this. Most men start losing hair by age 30. I too knew many who started in high school or the first few years of college.

There is an entire industry built up around your insecurity at losing your hair, and all they do is built up and prey upon that insecurity.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-05-07 08:08:37
Link | Quote | Reply

My brother seems to enjoy pointing out my receding hairline and it does make me self-conscious being 25, however part of me suspects that, because I had Hydrocephalus as a baby, my head is slightly larger than it should be which makes me hairline look more receded.
By Ramyrez 2015-05-07 08:10:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tidis said: »
My brother

Well if he managed not to get that gene himself, look for the other undesirable family genetic traits and point them out when he presents with them until he gets the point.

You can't run from your own DNA.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-05-07 08:10:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Shave your head and own it.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-05-07 08:12:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Accept your baldness like these guys have, see how silly they'd look with hair

...somewhat unfairly, Bruce Willis and Jason Statham both look pretty great with hair, too.

Edit: at least the fake hair given them.

Bruce Willis' hair back in the 80s was actually pretty said.
 Ragnarok.Hotkarl
user: hotkarl
By Ragnarok.Hotkarl 2015-05-07 08:39:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
As the title suggests, my hair has been thinning for the past 2 years (I'm 21 now, if that means anything). I'm not bald, or particularly close to it, but there are some patches on my head that're quite thin, to the point where it's starting to get concerning. Looking for some advice for anyone who has been through a similar experience.

I tried looking around, and frankly there is so much suggesting so many different things it's hard to know what treatments actually work. So I would like ask from anyone who have been having similar issues, or anyone who knows anything particular, what treatments are available that can actually help?
The only way to fight thinning hair is to grow a badass beard, so when you finally hit the point of shaving head you don't look like a dork.
[+]
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-05-07 09:20:03
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL I never got the big deal about losing hair. I started getting the old "five head" around 28-29 years old. But I've been keeping my hair very low since 18. Having hair was more of a hassle for me than anything.

Shave it or keep it very low, then forget about it.
By Ramyrez 2015-05-07 09:23:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Hell, I started growing mine out recently and got sick of it. Too much hassle.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-05-07 09:28:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure weird threads pop on ah at times anyway..
Ramyrez said: »
just don't go for the combovers or trying to cover it up. Many, many polls have said women prefer men that embrace whatever comes their way more than men who try to cover it up by changing to comb-overs or toupes or other weird tactics
God please this. Whatever happens never ever do a comb over it's most horrible thing in the world, go bald if you must. There is no point in clinging to your hair if what's left is ugly as sin.
 Asura.Shiraiyuki
user: Shirai
By Asura.Shiraiyuki 2015-05-07 09:30:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Agreeing on the beard, by the way.
Growing one is one of the best choices I have made in the last few years.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-05-07 09:32:36
Link | Quote | Reply

OP: If you really are italian as the flag next to your name suggests, then just shave some hair off your back and glue it to your head... If you somehow run out of back hair...then just shave your ***.

Edit:
<~could knit a *** turtle neck sweater for a grizzly bear
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-05-07 09:49:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
OP: If you really are italian as the flag next to your name suggests, then just shave some hair off your back and glue it to your head... If you somehow run out of back hair...then just shave your ***.

Edit:
<~could knit a *** turtle neck sweater for a grizzly bear

good advice
 Leviathan.Vienne
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Vienne 2015-05-07 09:52:44
Link | Quote | Reply

just shave it or wear it with pride, its all in the attitude after all.
There are some crazy sexy men out there with no or little hair, just go work on that sixpack you future Jason Statham.
And no beards arent ok, yesterday in my newspaper....beards have more fecal bacteria then a dirty toiletseat apparently. Never do i let a beard come near me ever again, you dirty hipsters!
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-05-07 09:55:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd look 17 without a beard ;<

It isn't a full beard, or particularly long though.
First Page 2 3 4