PS3 Just Died, YLOD.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » PS3 just died, YLOD.
PS3 just died, YLOD.
First Page 2 3 4
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2015-04-28 17:48:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Today is a sad day for me, for as the title says, my PS3 just YLOD'ed on me. I've had since the beginning of 2008. got lucky and found it at Game stop, used for 420$ I think, was the only 60gb one they had. The thing worked fantastic, never had any problems at all until recently, it started showing signs of going bad.

Whenever I would play a PS2 game, I would sometimes get these lines that would show up at the top, or bottom of the screen. This only happened on PS2 games as I just beat 3 PS1 games in a row with no symptoms of any kind. Then 2 days ago, I was playing Legaia 2, and certain screens this would happen, but get really bad, and the image would almost disappear, but nothing happened. Yesterday it worked find, did nothing bad at all, no lines or anything. Then today, I started it up, began playing, then 5 minutes later, it happened. The PS3 shut off. I turned it back on, and it worked and I got to the game again, only to happen a minute later. After this, it wouldn't come on, and just gives the YLOD now.

I backed up all the data the other day once this started happening as I was afraid this would happen so that's not a problem. Frankly, I want to get this fixed. This PS3 is important to me, as it has given me much joy over the years. I know of the Gilksy method of fixing it, but I don't trust myself to do that, unless it is a last resort. Has anyone used Gophermods to reball their PS3, or any other company to fix it? I know there is EndlessElectronics, but I heard really bad things about them on the Sony forums. Ultimately I would like to have everything replaced if possible, like the Blu-Ray drive, the PSU, fan, and thermal pads. Any advice anyone?
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-04-28 17:50:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Scarmiglione said: »
60gb
My condolences.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-04-28 17:52:14
Link | Quote | Reply

My advice would be to look for someone who can repair it. It shouldn't be too hard to find, someone who will fix it for 50 to 150$. It's an old model though, so it may be either impossible or very expensive, but there should be people who specialize in repairing consoles in general.

I had such model and when it died, it was much cheaper to buy a PS3 and a brand new PS2 than repair it.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-04-28 17:54:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it overheating? If it's HDD that's a simple fix at least
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-04-28 17:57:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Even if you repair it it might YLOD again soon, it seems to happen quite a bit with the old PS3s
 Bismarck.Marmite
user: innit
By Bismarck.Marmite 2015-04-28 18:03:33
Link | Quote | Reply

My advice would be to call Sony, they are fantastic with customer service. Hear in the UK they replaced my old PS2 free of charge with a re-conditioned one when it broke. I just had to pay the courier fee.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-04-28 18:03:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Time to upgrade to a PS4.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2015-04-28 18:03:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I just sent Gophermods an email, so I will see what they say. And it's not an overheating issue, never had any problems with that at all. And the HDD is newer, like 2 years, so I doubt that's a problem. Given the fact that I had problems with the display and lines on the screen and flickering, I'd probably say it's a GPU issue. I tried doing a search for PS3 repair in my area, but I just get a bunch of useless results.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2015-04-28 18:04:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
I would if it played PS1-PS4 games.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-04-28 18:10:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
I would if it played PS1-PS4 games.

Find a cheap PS2 somewhere and take good care of it, they last foreverrrr

Then you can play PS1 and 2 (although you won't have the online library)

OR you could get a cheap PS3 slim somewhere to play PS1 and 3 and a cheap PS2 for those games. There must be someone selling it off for cheap in the US, you could probably get those 2 for the same price as a PS3 60GB's repair bill
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-04-28 18:10:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure if the slim can play PS2 games honestly, I never did try those (from the PS store)
By Jetackuu 2015-04-28 18:42:10
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a repair service my friend used for his 360, I'll try to find my link when I get home, they also do modding.

The issue with trying to fix it yourself (aside from being annoying) is that the only fix you can really do is to try to reflow the solder (yes, a heating issue), the 360 did the same thing, basically unleaded solder, etc.

The proper fix would be to replace the unleaded solder with leaded solder in a process known as reballing, but it takes skill and equipment. I have 2 60GB PS3's and 4~ 360's in a box that most have this issue.
 Carbuncle.Xenhas
user: Xenhas
By Carbuncle.Xenhas 2015-04-28 18:52:23
Link | Quote | Reply

PS3 just died YOLO

that's all I read
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-28 18:52:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Funny enough, the console I had the most problems with were PS2s back in the day. Slim PS3 does not have backwards compatibility.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2015-04-28 18:52:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
There's a repair service my friend used for his 360, I'll try to find my link when I get home, they also do modding.

The issue with trying to fix it yourself (aside from being annoying) is that the only fix you can really do is to try to reflow the solder (yes, a heating issue), the 360 did the same thing, basically unleaded solder, etc.

The proper fix would be to replace the unleaded solder with leaded solder in a process known as reballing, but it takes skill and equipment. I have 2 60GB PS3's and 4~ 360's in a box that most have this issue.

Yeah, I know about reballing them, but I don't trust myself with a soldering iron and expensive equipment. That link would be helpful once you find it though, thanks.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2015-04-28 19:53:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Marmite said: »
My advice would be to call Sony, they are fantastic with customer service. Hear in the UK they replaced my old PS2 free of charge with a re-conditioned one when it broke. I just had to pay the courier fee.

I just called Sony, and they said that they stopped repairing these models (it's a CECHA01) 2 months ago. That blows, wish it would have died 2 months ago lol.

I got a reply back from Gophermods, its 79.99$ to fix it, plus I can add new thermal pads and a 19 blade fan, which would come to 129.99$. I could almost buy the same model off of ebay for that price, but who knows how long one of those would last. Plus they had some bad reviews on yelp. But someone on the Sony forums suggested PS3repairshop.com, never heard of them though.
By Jetackuu 2015-04-28 20:33:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I know about reballing them, but I don't trust myself with a soldering iron and expensive equipment. That link would be helpful once you find it though, thanks.

Yeah, this isn't work you can do with a soldering iron...
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2015-04-28 22:02:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I just called Sony, and they said that they stopped repairing these models (it's a CECHA01) 2 months ago. That blows, wish it would have died 2 months ago lol.

I got a reply back from Gophermods, its 79.99$ to fix it, plus I can add new thermal pads and a 19 blade fan, which would come to 129.99$. I could almost buy the same model off of ebay for that price, but who knows how long one of those would last. Plus they had some bad reviews on yelp. But someone on the Sony forums suggested PS3repairshop.com, never heard of them though.

if you use the backwards compatibility a lot this actually seems somewhat worth it. though you could just put that money towards an awesome PC and emulate ps2/ps1 games with 2~4x native res and AA and make the games look way better lol.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2015-04-28 22:25:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Ghaleon said: »

if you use the backwards compatibility a lot this actually seems somewhat worth it. though you could just put that money towards an awesome PC and emulate ps2/ps1 games with 2~4x native res and AA and make the games look way better lol.

My current PC is as follows;
MSI 990FXA-GD80
AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz
MSI Radeon R9 280 GPU
8GB G.Skill Ripjaw ram
800w PSU

Is that awesome enough?
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2015-04-28 22:37:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I hear ya on wanting to keep a PS3 with BC. When mine took a crap I took it to Repairbucks. For a 100 dollars they fixed it up and even threw in a better fan. Still works great almost 2yrs later. Could have sent it to Sony but didn't want to wait for weeks.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2015-04-28 22:47:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodbathboy said: »
I hear ya on wanting to keep a PS3 with BC. When mine took a crap I took it to Repairbucks. For a 100 dollars they fixed it up and even threw in a better fan. Still works great almost 2yrs later. Could have sent it to Sony but didn't want to wait for weeks.

Is that a local place? There's a place kinda close to me called UBreakIFix, that says they will fix the YLOD for 79.99$, but I imagine that it's probably just a reflow and not a reball.

https://www.ubreakifix.com/game-console-repair/playstation-3-repair/ps3-yellow-light-of-death-repair
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-04-28 22:54:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Ghaleon said: »

MSI 990FXA-GD80
MSI Radeon R9 280 GPU
8GB G.Skill Ripjaw ram
800w PSU

Is that awesome enough?

Should be fine for 6x native res

Not all games are super optimized but if you wanna play games like Final Fantasy then it shouldn't be a problem, 12 with cranked up resolution looks amazing.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-04-28 23:42:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodbathboy said: »

Is that a local place? There's a place kinda close to me called UBreakIFix, that says they will fix the YLOD for 79.99$, but I imagine that it's probably just a reflow and not a reball.

https://www.ubreakifix.com/game-console-repair/playstation-3-repair/ps3-yellow-light-of-death-repair
There's a local show near hear that claims that they reball it, as I've yet to actually talk to the repair guy and the others go "yeah, he does that" I'm very skeptical, as it's not a simple process.

I honestly need to see what all parts I have and see if I can't get a few systems up and running, even refurbed a 60GB I could probably sell for $200+.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2015-04-29 00:42:45
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a local show near hear that claims that they reball it, as I've yet to actually talk to the repair guy and the others go "yeah, he does that" I'm very skeptical, as it's not a simple process.

I honestly need to see what all parts I have and see if I can't get a few systems up and running, even refurbed a 60GB I could probably sell for $200+.

Yeah, I watched a video showing how it's done. Didn't know it was the complex. Definitely need more than a soldering iron lol. I might just try calling that local place tomorrow and see what they do, but with a name like UBreakIFix, I'm a little skeptical.

And there are a few refurbished/reballed PS3's for sale on Ebay like this one. If they are done right, and legit, then they are worth some money, but still no guarantee they will last a long time.
 Bismarck.Marmite
user: innit
By Bismarck.Marmite 2015-04-29 04:53:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry to hear that man, good luck with your quest.
 Siren.Dilandu
Server: Siren
user: Dilandu
By Siren.Dilandu 2015-04-29 08:53:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Legaia 2 Duel Saga runs excellent on PCSX2. I played through the undub version without any issues. I can't stand the English voice of Lang and Sharon. Game looks much better with higher resolution and using SweetFX. Also widescreen patch for games that don't support widescreen.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2015-04-29 11:05:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I might just try this guy. He seems pretty legit and looks to have all the necessary equipment for reballing. Has 100% feedback although not a big number, but has sold that service for a while, and all of them gave great feedback. Might be my best bet.
By Jetackuu 2015-04-29 18:44:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I might just try this guy. He seems pretty legit and looks to have all the necessary equipment for reballing. Has 100% feedback although not a big number, but has sold that service for a while, and all of them gave great feedback. Might be my best bet.
Only thing that I don't like about that right off the bat (aside from services being sold on ebay, which raises a flag for me) is the fact that he doesn't replace it with leaded solder, which is a good part of the problem.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2015-04-29 19:09:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I don't know where else to turn since I can't find a local place that actually does reballing. At least he seems like he has all the right tools to fix it. Perhaps I could talk him into using leaded solder, if you actually think it would make a difference. I don't know what the difference is though.

And at least he has 100% feedback, and has feedback from this same service being sold, at least that's something.
 Siren.Novadragon
Server: Siren
By Siren.Novadragon 2015-04-29 19:49:00
Link | Quote | Reply

MSI 990FXA-GD80
MSI Radeon R9 280 GPU
8GB G.Skill Ripjaw ram
800w PSU

Is that awesome enough?

That setup will easily do Gamecube games by a mile. The emulators can't run all the games, however most of them should.

ePSXe 1.8: PS1
Dolphin: WII/GC
PCSX2: PS2

That things strong enough to HD, Gamecube games with ease.

If you actually plan to play the lol FFX-2, that thing is a CPU EATER, but it should make it.

Edit: You can get a modified FFXII with Zodiac Job System which is translated to English. It has turbo mode and Break Damage Limit ;)
First Page 2 3 4